Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
    Excellent, post any stuff like that about O'Brien, I never really knew to much about his back story.
    You got it my friend......

Professional Assessment: Report of Starfleet Engineering

As Captain Maxwell realized in his early career, O'Brien has the special ability to quickly analyze a situation and present options for all contingencies — a talent expressed in command as well as engineering applications. His calm words with the former captain helped diffuse a powder keg, averting a Cardassian incident in 2368, and Picard tapped him to be tactical officer after Worf resigned from Starfleet and other key officers were farmed out to crews in a blockade fleet. He repeated that job often for Sisko on the U.S.S. Defiant.

O'Brien has many accomplishments in his career field, led by his first-ever use of a genetic pattern in the Enterprise's modified biofilter to restore a transported object to a prior state. Though he easily catches on to many alien technologies, he had never worked a Cardassian transporter before his arrival at DS9. Their inflexible computer design, the many Starfleet technology patch-overs and the station's run-down, ransacked state kept him in fits early in the assignment. He coaxed the theoretical maximum of the U.S.S. Prometheus warp engines past WF 9.5 to 9.6. And in late 2371, he alone saved the Defiant against an auto-destruct countdown while Odo battled a Changeling saboteur. Like a typical engineer, he lengthens his repair time estimates and, to welcome Worf to DS9 as an in-joke, recalled that the only thing their Enterprise colleagues couldn't do right was keep the ship's Holodecks functioning without constant glitches.

Comment

Psych Profile: UPDATE of SD 50000
      Counselor Telnorri recording

Shortly after the prior posting, this counselor saw the subject O'Brien for some 12 weeks of therapy to deal with 20 years of simulated imprisonment on Argratha compressed into a few hours — a wrongful conviction realized too late to prevent the so-called "correction." O'Brien hallucinated and often relived his artificial experiences, including the "murder" of his virtual-reality cellmate. He exhibited extreme guilt and flirted with suicide over the anger and feelings of helplessness that resulted from his denial and refusal to receive proper treatment. Thanks to breakthroughs at the time by Dr. Bashir and O'Brien's wife, the subject overcame his initial violent disapproval of therapy, and the treatment proceeded as well as could be expected. In follow-up reports by this counselor and Dr. Bashir, we have detected little if any residual fallout from the episode affecting his work or personal life.

Psycho-Medical File Update:
      CMO J. Bashir recording, SD 50500

To update and correlate Counselor Telnorri's previous entry:

The Chief continues to thrive on the challenges required by DS9's patched-together, cross-cultural platform — as well as the busy nature of our strategic area. In fact, he has recently confided to Worf that he was bored with the perfection of his last posting, the Galaxy-class Enterprise. Still, we continue with our own weekly dart games — though I have yet to try his favorite breakfast of two eggs over easy, three bacon strips, and corned beef hash ... or the single malt Irish whiskey, neat, which he enjoys off-duty when not in the synthehol mood.

O'Brien has only recently concluded the biggest distraction of his recent career: his son's emergency fetal transplant by this doctor to Major Kira for surrogate pregnancy after his wife sustained threatening injury. While the ongoing health of the fetus was never in any real danger after the initial trauma, the unusual situation took a toll on both the O'Briens and Kira. After Miles' initial shock at the arrangement, I applauded he and Keiko for inviting Kira to move in with them and accept her as Molly's "Aunt Nerys," but the degree of intimacy they came to share was beyond my belief. Aside from the Chief's clear overprotectiveness regarding her diet, I would almost suspect that the two encountered at one point a mutual attraction that both fascinated and frightened them. By the time young Kirayoshi was born circa 50450, his tension had disrupted the traditional Bajoran birthing routine Kira had requested and spilled over to First Minister Shakaar, who had attended out of concern for Kira.

The lone exception to this point was the stress caused by the hijacking of Keiko's body by a vengeful, cast-out wormhole alien (a "pah-wraith") bent on forcing him to help its plan of destroying the wormhole under penalty of harming Keiko's body and Molly. The chief came through on his own, once again finding himself on a two-front war, and protected himself, his loved ones and the station.

Recently the chief has also confided to me how he prepares a "final message" tape to his wife and children prior to each departure on a dangerous mission, such as the covert infiltration to ascertain the rumored Changeling doubling of Gowron and the help in retrieving a prize Jem'Hadar vessel. On a sad note, I know the loss of one of his star engineers, Enrique Muniz, hurt him deeply. Even so, O'Brien remains a secular skeptic of the spiritualism of faiths such as those practiced by Worf and Kira.

Comment

Happy Birthday Trek_Girl!,

Virgo's rule
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
          Happy Birthday Trek_Girl!,

Virgo's rule
          Lol, thanks!

Comment

/\/\/\/\ happy birthday Trek_Girl , I hope you go out and have a blast, any plans tonight?.

Comment

Hey! Happy Birthday Trek_Girl!

And welcome to the thread Dirrti-Nirrti and JME2.
              Originally posted by Dirrti-Nirrti
              Oh, this is such a great thread! I wish I could've read each and every post!
              Heh, if you've got a spare few hours, it's worth it. I've read it from the beginning, but there were fewer posts then. There's been some great contributors to this thread since it was created.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
                /\/\/\/\ happy birthday Trek_Girl , I hope you go out and have a blast, any plans tonight?.
                Not today, going out with some friends tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  Not today, going out with some friends tomorrow.
                  Cool, have a good and safe time.

Here is the last of the bio. on O'Brien...........

Encrypted for Security Clearance Level 9 or higher
                  Starfleet Intelligence Update:
                  Operative Chadwick recording, SD 51590

The operation on Farius Prime to infiltrate the Orion Syndicate was surprisingly successful. Our original goal of discovering the Syndicate's inside contact at Starfleet was met. But our operative on the case, Miles O'Brien, also uncovered a conspiracy between the Syndicate and the Dominion to assassinate the Klingon Ambassador to Farius, an act they believed would endanger the Klingon-Federation Alliance. We warned the Klingon Embassy, and the plot was foiled. The only lives lost in the incident were those of Syndicate mobsters.

Our man in the field, Mr. O'Brien, was strategically selected and recruited for his engineering skills — a necessary component for this mission that no other available operative could fulfill — and he cooperated in spite of his reluctance. His efficacy in infiltrating the organization was impressive. However, I cannot recommend Mr. O'Brien for any further covert operations of this nature, as he does not have the temperament for this kind of work. He failed to keep his perspective and too easily allowed himself to sympathize with his criminal subjects. Plus, he has a latent temper that can manifest in potentially compromising ways. Without the ability to maintain a professional distance in the thick of events, he cannot be a reliable operative. I make this report with some regret, as I had grown to like and admire Mr. O'Brien. I'm sorry we parted on inimical terms.

Personnel Update:
                  Col. Kira Nerys, in command of Deep Space Nine, SD 52950.1

I cannot believe Starfleet Academy is taking Miles O'Brien away from us. What am I going to do? How am I going to keep this station working without him? There is not a nut or bolt or plasma conduit in this entire place that does not bear his handprint. I cannot praise the Chief enough for the contributions he has made over the last seven years — not just as an engineer, but as a loyal friend and faithful part of our extended family. Despite the ordeals he's been through, he's always managed to strike a balance between seriousness and playfulness — never wavering in his commitments, even when under siege ... but as a hobbyist he's pretty die-hard, too. He is far and away one of the most inspiring individuals I have ever met. All of us remaining on DS9 will miss him deeply.

Comment

Those are some quality posts Starbase. I always loved the "personal logs" in ST. Not necessarily the ones used for plot development but the ones that just gave you an insight into what certain people were thinking, especially when it showed some sort of... feeling that contradicted an order they gave. Made them seem more human. To me anyway. *shrugs*

Where'd you find that stuff anyway?

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                      Those are some quality posts Starbase. I always loved the "personal logs" in ST. Not necessarily the ones used for plot development but the ones that just gave you an insight into what certain people were thinking, especially when it showed some sort of... feeling that contradicted an order they gave. Made them seem more human. To me anyway. *shrugs*

Where'd you find that stuff anyway?

Thanx brother Anubis, I got them from various sources including websites and Trek manuals that are full of inside information and back stories of all the characters from various Trek series (some more dteailed than others). I will post up other info. like this on all the DS9 characters over the next few months. Maybe what I will do is when we do an episode discussion I will post up info on the main character that the episode is about. How does that sound?.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea! I look forward to 'em.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Indeed!, those are great posts brother Base, I love the detailed back story and future story for O'Brien. It would be very cool if you posted up bio/profile information on particular characters that are featured in episodes we discuss.

This thread just keeps getting better and better, all you guys and gals rock!.

Pulling out green stick for some DS9 love.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Sounds like a great idea! I look forward to 'em.
                            As do I, that did add some fun insight into both Kira and O'Brien.

I love all the contributions this thread gets, makes it one of my favorites.
                            sigpic
                            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                              As do I, that did add some fun insight into both Kira and O'Brien.

I love all the contributions this thread gets, makes it one of my favorites.
                              You have been a great addition to this thread my brother Descent!, I am glad you found us.

It seems that this thread attracts the smart and savvy scifi/Trek fan, which is easy to understand considering how truly great DS9 is.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I watched Season 3's "Civil Defense" last night on DVD [as well as the others on that DVD] and it simply must be one of my favourite episodes ever! I'm not even sure what it is about it... I just love the way it was done, the increasing security measures, Dukat's messages, the double-crossing, Odo and Quark etc. etc. etc.

Okay, I'm done.
                                //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                                Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Working...
                                X