Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    So speaking of favortie shows on television, what do you all watch or record these days. And how many of you have a Tivo or another kind of DVR?.
    I really like Supernatural and Eureka. I've got into NCIS and of course Reaper is coming back next week. I really wish I had a DVR now as you've guessed it, NCIS and Reaper both air on the one night I go out in the week! I have actually got back into Heroes, that sort of lost its way in the 2nd season and has really picked up now in the 3rd.

I enjoy watching documentaries, especially historical ones and I have to admit to being drawn to watching those 'court' shows like 'Judge Judy'. Being unemployed at the moment is bad in this respect! LOL! I too like the cooking shows and the home makeover ones.

Fringe is a show I can take or leave, it's entertaining enough, I watch it if I happen to tune in. Dollhouse on the other hand has nothing I really like about it. I've tried to watch it and the whole idea seems to be pointless and nothing about any performance in it makes me want to care about anything in it! Reminds me a bit of a show called 'Painkiller Jane', a woman just doing things for a secret agency without any rhyme or reason as to what happens to them. Just senseless and boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
      I really like Supernatural and Eureka. I've got into NCIS and of course Reaper is coming back next week. I really wish I had a DVR now as you've guessed it, NCIS and Reaper both air on the one night I go out in the week! I have actually got back into Heroes, that sort of lost its way in the 2nd season and has really picked up now in the 3rd.

I enjoy watching documentaries, especially historical ones and I have to admit to being drawn to watching those 'court' shows like 'Judge Judy'. Being unemployed at the moment is bad in this respect! LOL! I too like the cooking shows and the home makeover ones.

Fringe is a show I can take or leave, it's entertaining enough, I watch it if I happen to tune in. Dollhouse on the other hand has nothing I really like about it. I've tried to watch it and the whole idea seems to be pointless and nothing about any performance in it makes me want to care about anything in it! Reminds me a bit of a show called 'Painkiller Jane', a woman just doing things for a secret agency without any rhyme or reason as to what happens to them. Just senseless and boring.
      high five for Krisz, the documentaries, cooking shows , redecorating shows and NCIS are all a staple at my house! I also like forensic files, etc... gory I know. We watch bones too when we remember it. that is my life when I am on break from classes, i love a good cooking show!
      I don't watch the news as much as I used to, too depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
        She's definitely the weakest link in the show - not just the acting (I wouldn't define it as "horrible", but she's definitely the weakest actor in the show) but the entire character - her back story is a cliche, her behaviour is a cliche, her whole way of thining is a cliche. BUT! I still enjoy Walter, Peter and Astrid greatly, so I keep on watching. I'd admit though, I don't care whatsoever about the whole Pattern plot/ nonsense.
        Calling her character cliched is a more apt description. You are right she wasn't all together horrible, maybe 'perdictable' was a better way of putting it. Walter and Peter are both very good.

I have watched plenty of shows that weren't very good on just the power of the characters, so I understand exactly where you are coming from Lady Pitry.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I followed my basic rule of new TV shows when it comes to Fringe. I gave Fringe 3 episodes to impress me and it didn't so I stopped watching. And lets just say Dollhouse has a lot to prove this Friday to meet my requirments.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Read in todays paper that Fringe is moving production to Vancouver if it's renewed for a 2nd season. New York has become too expensive production wise. It will be interesting if it is renewed, it seems to be getting a lukewarm response here on the Superior thread. I too really like the character of Walter, he steals the show as that wonderfully whacked out genius with the cow as a pet, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I followed my basic rule of new TV shows when it comes to Fringe. I gave Fringe 3 episodes to impress me and it didn't so I stopped watching. And lets just say Dollhouse has a lot to prove this Friday to meet my requirments.
              I basically have the same rule for most shows (not all) brother jelgate. If I am not impressed with the premise or over-all concept I will give it 3 or 4 episodes to impress or even just interest me. Fringe fell by the way side fast and like yourself - Dollhouse is teetering right now. lol
              Read in todays paper that Fringe is moving production to Vancouver if it's renewed for a 2nd season. New York has become too expensive production wise. It will be interesting if it is renewed, it seems to be getting a lukewarm response here on the Superior thread. I too really like the character of Walter, he steals the show as that wonderfully whacked out genius with the cow as a pet, lol!
              As much as I love Canada and I understand why the Networks and production companies shoot there shows or films there (because everything is cheaper) - It's really quite annoying watching a show that is so obviously not the city they say it is. I have no problem if the series or movie is based in Canada but to lie to us makes me change the channel.
              The USS Defiant Rocks!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                It's really quite annoying watching a show that is so obviously not the city they say it is. I have no problem if the series or movie is based in Canada but to lie to us makes me change the channel.
                So... I take it you didn't watch too much SG-1 then? I have lived in Colorado Springs and it looks almost nothing like Vancouver. It's not a big deal to me though.
                sigpic
                "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I guess I'm not that observeant when it comes to TV. I could care less on the skyline that a TV show is based on. And in brother Defiant's defense you don't see that much of the city in SG1.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I basically have the same rule for most shows (not all) brother jelgate. If I am not impressed with the premise or over-all concept I will give it 3 or 4 episodes to impress or even just interest me. Fringe fell by the way side fast and like yourself - Dollhouse is teetering right now. lol
                    As much as I love Canada and I understand why the Networks and production companies shoot there shows or films there (because everything is cheaper) - It's really quite annoying watching a show that is so obviously not the city they say it is. I have no problem if the series or movie is based in Canada but to lie to us makes me change the channel.
                    yep, they shot a couple of seasons of the early law and order in toronto and it was ridiculous. Toronto was much cleaner than new york city has ever been! i am glad they have been back in the USA quite a while now.

Comment

I have to agree with you there! At least you don't get the problem of knowing actual streets, parks and forests they film in! As much as it's great for the BC economy I can see why it can be a pain to watch and I really like it when the odd show actually has Vancouver starring as itself! The problem basically is that too many movies and TV shows have been shot here now and makes the place too well worn visually! Seeing the little strip mall and my street number and intersection once in the background of an awful movie supposedly set somewhere in Kansas really didn't help!

I do however believe if the story and the acting is riveting the location doesn't matter! Supernatural and Eureka are good current examples of this for me....the only exception is one scene in Supernatural's 'The Benders'.....

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/PDVD_009.jpg

....as it was filmed in Maple Ridge's town 'square' and that definitely put me off believing it was set in the US somewhere, LOL!

Also it's not so bad if the location is used well to add to the feel of a story which the X-Files and Supernatural do well for example. I really love Vancouver as a city and I never thought that I would find it refreshing to watch movies and shows filmed in other cities for a break!

Comment

Actual-location-shooting isn't all that common. Whether it is Cardiff in place of London, or Vancouver in place of California, or California in place of generic British countryside, it's common (that last one is RIDICULOUS! If you took pictures of the southern Californian countryside and of the Scottish countryside, then told people that the pics were taken on two different M-class planets, they'd believe you. They look *nothing* alike.).

Cheaper = Better. It's just something that you have to learn to live with, even if it does look goofy. I for one disliked the fact that every planet on Stargate looked like BC. But oh well.

Comment

I hated 'killing Wraith in the BC forest' episodes.
                          I'm not so sure that tne CGI sets for SGU will be much better. Having seen Sanctuary, I'm quite vary of TV-budget CGI backgrounds. I'd prefer more forests and them shelling out money for location shots like in 'Vegas'.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I'm back. Been dealing with a lot of death in my family. Feb really sucks.

Comment

Death always suck and my PM box is always open if you need someone to talk too. And before I forget Happy Birthday.

Hey brother Fifth is their a quiz any time soon? And brother Defiant I saw the 3rd Dollhouse episode and it was the worse yet. So as my rule goes I have given up on this show
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                                So... I take it you didn't watch too much SG-1 then? I have lived in Colorado Springs and it looks almost nothing like Vancouver. It's not a big deal to me though.
                                LOL, oh heck no!. I loved the country shots from Stargate and Atlantis.

Ok let me clarify what I said yesterday. I have no problem with using BC/Vancouver for outdoor nature or forrest shots (very beautiful!), or having a show actually set there. I just don't want to watch a show or movie that tells you it's New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago ...etc... when you are so obviously watching the streets of Vancouver or Victoria.
                                I do however believe if the story and the acting is riveting the location doesn't matter! Supernatural and Eureka are good current examples of this for me....the only exception is one scene in Supernatural's 'The Benders'.....
                                I love both those shows, but again they are examples of shows that are set in generic locations (small towns). It doesn't really matter where it is filmed in those cases. Isn't Reaper filmed up north as well. - I believe it's either BC or Washington state.
                                I have to agree with you there! At least you don't get the problem of knowing actual streets, parks and forests they film in! As much as it's great for the BC economy I can see why it can be a pain to watch and I really like it when the odd show actually has Vancouver starring as itself! The problem basically is that too many movies and TV shows have been shot here now and makes the place too well worn visually! Seeing the little strip mall and my street number and intersection once in the background of an awful movie supposedly set somewhere in Kansas really didn't help!
                                LOL, I hear ya Lady Kris. I admire how BC and Vancouver especially has craved out a nice niche for itself in bringing Hollywood north. I would imagine there are alot of calls for extra's with all the filming that goes on there.
                                The USS Defiant Rocks!
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                                X