Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    I was being quite serious. Those disparate elements came together to create a great episode of TNG.
    I never said you weren't brother nx. I knew you were being quite serious and quite sarcastic.
    Originally posted by nx01a
    AND it gave Troi something to do.Continuity-wise, it showed her knowledge of Romulan D'Deridex class warbirds from that time she was disguised as a Tal Shiar agent aboard one. That and the episode featured a Romulan Lyta Alexander.
    Perk's* right up at the mention of Lyta Alexander/Patricia Tallman. I had forgotten that the lovely and talented ms. Tallman appeared a few times each on DS9, TNG and VOY (usually uncredited). I just read that she did alot of stunt work on various shows including all her own stunts on DS9, I find her even more sexy now. I have been recently rewatching season five of B5, I love all the screen time they gave her in that last season. And by the way, season five is not nearly as bad as I remembered it to be.
    Originally posted by nx01a
    I'm reminded of 'One Little Ship' for some reason. It was a TNG-esque sci-fi DS9 episode but it dealt with the Dominion and the struggle between the Gamma and Alpha Quadrant Jem'Hadar, I think.
    Indeed it did and a very good analogy, and a very good episode for that matter. DS9 did a particulary good job of mixing in "Filler/Stand alone episodes" that had some kind of impact on the storyline down the road. - I think alot of time the writers do a "filler/stand alone episode" where one of the guest star characters is quite memorable which leads to return appearence and a possible continuing storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
      Totally agree there. It's how it's balanced is the key I feel. DS9 did it well and Stargate SG-1 did on the whole. I always like to know where stories are going with the antagonists and how they react to the said 'reality' they are faced with, it puts the characters in a believable world if the arc is done well. The fillers give us more detailed snapshots within the whole and are just as important as the arc because it gives more meaning to the characters and their actions.
      Very well said and I couldn't agree more. The Unas, the Nox, the Tollans and Asgard are all good examples of how one appearence can turn into a continuing storyline.

I guess I have been feeling retro lately because I have been watching alot of the early seasons of Stargate and Babylon 5. And those early seasons of Stagate are chalk full of filler/stand alone episodes (especially seasons I & II). Watching in retrospect it sure served them well in the later seasons. I really wish they would have brought back the Aris Boch character at least once more.

Comment

I don't know if I would call One Little ship a filler episode. I think it was important to the Dominion War arc most notiablly the discrimination against Gamma Quadrant Jem'Hadar. The first two seasons of SG1 were filled with filler. No wonder its S3 when I thought the show got good
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
          Very well said and I couldn't agree more. The Unas, the Nox, the Tollans and Asgard are all good examples of how one appearence can turn into a continuing storyline.

I guess I have been feeling retro lately because I have been watching alot of the early seasons of Stargate and Babylon 5. And those early seasons of Stagate are chalk full of filler/stand alone episodes (especially seasons I & II). Watching in retrospect it sure served them well in the later seasons. I really wish they would have brought back the Aris Boch character at least once more.
          I spent last summer and fall rewatching SG1 when I had the time and enjoyed it completely. I too had forgotten the fun fillers in the first two seasons. I too wanted the bounty hunter to resurface... he would have been good in "Bounty" Season 10 I think.
          Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I don't know if I would call One Little ship a filler episode. I think it was important to the Dominion War arc most notiablly the discrimination against Gamma Quadrant Jem'Hadar. The first two seasons of SG1 were filled with filler. No wonder its S3 when I thought the show got good
          To me the point of a good filler is that later on it is seen as part of an arc. I like shows which blend fillers and arcs and DS9 and SG1 did that very well. SGA did not do it well and the show suffered for it. (as well as other reasons. )

I tend to feel a show needs a good combination of arcs and fillers. Too many fillers and the show seems disjointed, too many arcs and it is tiring.
          Last edited by Rac80; 06 February 2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I'll note that even in a fully serialized show it is possible to have a moderate number of "filler" episodes that concentrate mainly on the development of a character, while furthering the plot only slightly (or, better yet, furthering some obscure corner of the main plot that will pop up later, ala Babylon 5. That was such a cool show). If it has a strong over-arcing plot that has some presence in every episode, then it still counts as a serial.

Comment

I have friends who RAVE about 24 and are fanatic about not missing an episode. Of course, if you miss one episode, you'll probably be Lost by the next one. That level of serialization isn't my cup of tea. It's definitely addictive, which is what networks want, but it does throw off the casual viewer. I don't need a 'to be continued' flashing on the screen or implied unless it's something big.
              Trek has had lots of mini-arcs across the series. Look at me inventing terms. Sisko's journey to accepting the Prophets, Kira and Cardassians/Dukat, Enterprise trying to get to Risa, T'Pol and emotion, Data and emotion, Archer and Klingons, Worf and Klingons... Worf's story is one that even spanned series.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                I have friends who RAVE about 24 and are fanatic about not missing an episode. Of course, if you miss one episode, you'll probably be Lost by the next one. That level of serialization isn't my cup of tea. It's definitely addictive, which is what networks want, but it does throw off the casual viewer. I don't need a 'to be continued' flashing on the screen or implied unless it's something big.
                Trek has had lots of mini-arcs across the series. Look at me inventing terms. Sisko's journey to accepting the Prophets, Kira and Cardassians/Dukat, Enterprise trying to get to Risa, T'Pol and emotion, Data and emotion, Archer and Klingons, Worf and Klingons... Worf's story is one that even spanned series.
                that level of serialization i call a "soap"... must see every ep. I have neither the time nor patience for that. when I was younger I had the time, but then I had a small child and only had the energy left in the evenings to stare stupidly at a tv.

Comment

It wasn't just the serialization. 24 got really repetitive real fast. I will admit I am not a big fan of serialization where every episode is like a to be continued. Thats probably why I don't like BSG that much. Its also serializied
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

It wasn't just the serialization. 24 got really repetitive real fast. I will admit I am not a big fan of serialization where every episode is like a to be continued. Thats probably why I don't like BSG that much. Its also serializied
                    and has more sex than your average daytime soap.

Comment

DS9 Season III Episode Discussion
                      Episode #68 Family Business

Quark is investigated by the Ferengi Commerce Agency (FCA), who tell him he is responsible for the illegal actions of his mother Ishka. She's a female earning profit, and that is against the law. He must venture home with Rom to persuade Ishka to confess and return the profits she has made. (Quick aside: It's noteworthy that after eight seasons of Ferengi existence this is the first time Trek has visited the Ferengi Homeworld.)

Ishka (Andrea Martin) is rigidly stubborn on keeping the profit. It's a matter of principle. She is better at earning profit than most Ferengi males and believes it's downright wrong that the sexist laws of Ferengi culture prevent her from legally doing so. We are treading here on a rehash of "Rules of Acquisition."

She has a hidden fortune--a financial empire--with a startling number of false-fronts and laundering filters. If the FCA were to find it, Quark would be forced to pay for it and be ruined. Quark continues to persuade her to return it; she continues to refuse.

This leads to the true core of the episode - the family conflict. A lot of it runs like a cliche, such as Quark's line to Rom, "You always take her side." And although this apparently intends to be a character development episode of Quark and Rom, it does nothing for either character because both remain as rigidly transparent as usual. Quark only cares about his financial future. Rom is less selfish, but he says the dumbest things at the dumbest times that it's impossible to think of him as anything but an idiot. I for one was hoping Rom would be the type of character that looks like a dullard on the outside but through his actions proves otherwise. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Another problem with "Family Business" is its indecision whether to take itself seriously or simply go over-the-top. It's mostly lightweight and dumb. There's a scene where Quark and Rom get into a brawl on the living room floor, but it's so contrived and goofy that it's hard to see it as anything more than comic relief. (Then you have to ask yourself, comic relief of what?)

The episode is sporadically humorous, mostly due to Shimerman's facial and vocal talents, combined with the gags of gratuitously expensive Ferengi customs. (I also liked the throwaway line referencing the computer display of the Ferengi stock market.)

The intent of the episode seems to be to somewhat change the Ferengi to fit better into the Roddenberry universe. "Family Business," however, completely misses its own point. Through the arguing, fighting and eventual reconciliation with Rom and his mother, Quark learns nothing--leaving him as much an unsympathetic and cardboard personality as ever.

Redeeming the episode is the very agreeable B-story of Sisko meeting freighter captain Kasidy Yates at Jake's persistent insisting. The results of this time-restrained B-story are far better than anything in the main plot, as Sisko and Yates connect through--wouldn't you know it--a dead sport called baseball. Even as a fan of Quark and Ferengi - Family Business was pretty lame - I give it 6.0 stars.
                      The USS Defiant Rocks!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Your too generous brother Defiant.

I give it 4.0. Ferengi culture, Quark, and Ishkta. Not much can make a DS9 episode worse
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

DS9 seemed darker than the other Star Trek series, which is the reason I liked it.

Comment

Your too generous brother Defiant.

I give it 4.0. Ferengi culture, Quark, and Ishkta. Not much can make a DS9 episode worse
                            LOL, trust me the 6.0 is about as low as I will rate any DS9 episode. I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 other stinkers that were worse.

I even thought about skipping this episode over all together, but I enjoy doing the reviews to much. I generally watch the episode once without interruptions and then re-watch it again with note book in hand - pausing alot to write stuff down. LOL I learned this technique watching brother Fifth take notes for his Trek quizzes.
                            Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            DS9 seemed darker than the other Star Trek series, which is the reason I liked it.
                            Most definetly darker!. And like yourself Todd - that is one of the reasons I also love DS9 (along with B5, Stargate, Farscape, VOY, Atlantis and parts of TNG for that matter). Dark themes and Scifi go very well together!.
                            The USS Defiant Rocks!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Dark is always a good way to go as makes your characters flawed. No matter how great the posters on this think they are (I'm looking at you Lady Rac) you are all flawed in some way. And thats why people really like dark show. We see characters make the hard and sometimes wrong choices just like real people have to do. After all the real world is very seldom black and white. Like in many dark shows their is a area of gray where all the hard choices. And thats DS9 excelled to me, it knew how to be dark but not too dark. If you make a show too dark it becomes depressing like a certain show with humans fighting killing robots
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Dark is always a good way to go as makes your characters flawed. No matter how great the posters on this think they are (I'm looking at you Lady Rac) you are all flawed in some way. And thats why people really like dark show. We see characters make the hard and sometimes wrong choices just like real people have to do. After all the real world is very seldom black and white. Like in many dark shows their is a area of gray where all the hard choices. And thats DS9 excelled to me, it knew how to be dark but not too dark. If you make a show too dark it becomes depressing like a certain show with humans fighting killing robots
                                Of course I have flaws hun, they are part of my charm!
                                I will say that not all flaws are "dark" -- some people love too much, trust too much, care too much... not necessarily bad things, but can lead to bad things depending on who takes advantage of them. I agree that BSG can be really depressing. I loved DS9 because it was more "realistic" than any of the other trek shows without being constantly dark. even in grim circumstances the human soul finds a reason to smile and even laugh.

edit- jelgate darlin' I never said I was perfect just always right... big difference

Comment

Working...
                                X