Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.... Continued from above page

(Bajoran Lightship)
    Bajoran lightship The lightship (and the basic plot of the episode itself) was inspired by the voyage of the Kon-Tiki, a deliberately primitive sailing craft that Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl used to sail from Peru to Tahiti in 1947, substantiating his belief that it was possible that a Pre-Columbian South American civilization could have settled Polynesia by making a trans-oceanic voyage.

Production designer Herman Zimmerman and illustrator Jim Martin envisioned the Siskos as "sailors in space" and intentionally made the set of the lightship similar to a sailing boat. René Echevarria told Zimmerman and Martin that he wanted the ship to have a "Jules Verne look, a wooden cabin outfitted with brass." Indeed, some real sailing equipment can even be seen in the background at various points in the episode. Both men count this episode among their favorites to work on from a design point of view, and Zimmerman mentions it in the Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Special Edition DVD special feature Herman Zimmerman: A Tribute.

As Jim Martin explains, in reality, a solar sail would need to be several miles wide to propel a ship like this. As such, "We needed to take it into the realm of fantasy. But that was a very whimsical idea, and we could be very whimsical with it, and do something that was kind of in a fun fantasy vein." (Sailing Through the Stars: A Special Look at "Explorers", DS9 Season 3 DVD special features)

At one point in the episode, commander Sisko says, "We'll be tacking against the light most of the way." However, tacking a sailboat involves exploiting the force exerted by water against the keel; as such, it is impossible to tack a lightship in vacuum.

John Knoll at Industrial Light & Magic created the lightship as a CGI model. He later used the model for Akorem Laan's ship in "Accession".

At its 1995 convention, the Space Frontier Foundation recognized this episode for exemplifying "the most imaginative use of a vehicle to travel in space," and awarded the episode the "Best Vision of the Future" award. The award was presented by Robert Staehle, the world's foremost expert on solar sails.

Most shots of the lightship are from the aft (rear) because, being powered by solar currents, the ship always has its back to the Bajoran sun.

When the Star Trek Customizable Card Game released its "Energize" set in 2003, special pairs of starships and their matching commanders were released as a promotion to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the game's launch. One such pair was "Benjamin Sisko, Shipwright" (whose alignment was Bajoran, rather than Federation) and the ship seen in this episode, which was given the name Baraka.

The Cardassian attitude towards Bajoran "fairy tales" about ancient first contact and interstellar flight bears similarities to some European countries' initial reaction to the notion that Columbus was not the first to "discover" America.
    The USS Defiant Rocks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
      I'm convinced that most of the whininess of McKay comes straight from David Hewlett himself.
      I don't know where it comes from, but whoever thinks whineyness is funny needs a good smacking!

Thanks for all of the info Defiant, fascinating as always.

Comment

The same person who whinning Quark was a good idea
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
          One such pair was "Benjamin Sisko, Shipwright" (whose alignment was Bajoran, rather than Federation) and the ship seen in this episode, which was given the name Baraka.
          Obama!
          The ship really was an interesting design. I fancied the idea of dozens of them sailing around the Bajoran system, truly a beautiful sight. The whole 'accelerated to warp' was a bit fishy, but the system already has a stable wormhole and a charged particle field AND a massive plasma field, so...
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            Obama!
            The ship really was an interesting design. I fancied the idea of dozens of them sailing around the Bajoran system, truly a beautiful sight. The whole 'accelerated to warp' was a bit fishy, but the system already has a stable wormhole and a charged particle field AND a massive plasma field, so...
            Interesting indeed!. It was a beautiful design, I seem to remember them doing a collectable mini toy of that design back in the day. I also remember the ship making another appearence as Akorem Laan's ship in the very good episode Accension.

I had forgotten that ILM did alot of work for the Trek franchise on TNG, DS9, VOY and various Trek movies.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I don't have a problem with the solar sail or the warp acceleration, but how on Earth did the Bajorans get the ships into orbit?
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

That was indeed a fascinating read USS Defiant, thanks for the background info.

I especially liked the bit about the music they wanted to choose for Miles and Julian's drunken singing session! I would have loved to see them singing 'Rocket Man' or 'Space Oddity', that would have been hilarious. It worked in the Adam Sandler movie 'Mr Deeds' with the scene in the plane where everyone suddenly burst into song with 'Space Oddity'. I especially loved Eric Avari's rendition of it. It was just so funny seeing Daniel Jackson's father-in-law bursting into song!

'Jerusalem' was good though, although written as a hymn it's been adopted as a rousing patriotic tune often sung by drunk rugby players in the bar after matches in the UK. So it fit the scene there and not really surprising Colm Meaney chose it lol!

I've always liked 'Explorers' as a nice 'feel good' episode, especially with the Jake and Sisko moments. Loved the look of the lightship too.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                  I don't have a problem with the solar sail or the warp acceleration, but how on Earth did the Bajorans get the ships into orbit?
                  Ah ha! I thought of this too, and it really bothered me. We saw no evidence of them having any form of propulsion other than that depicted in the episode. I *assumed* that they used chemical rockets, but how on Earth (Bajor), would a primitive, religious (and notably anti-science), agrarian society that was still using BRONZE in their spacecraft (FFS) manage this? They have no computers, no electronics... they don't even have mechanized solar-wing deployers! Everything is 14th century era technology. That ship looked like something Leonardo de Vinci would have designed.

As I stated in the thread about the last episode of Atlantis, it would have taken them minimal effort to get rid of all of the scienticfic problems in that episode, and they wouldn't have had to change their storyline at all. So that tired old excuse, "we decided to go with storyflow instead of scientific accuracy" rarely, rarely holds water.

It just boggled my mind. I sometimes think I know too much about physics to fully enjoy otherwise decent episodes like this one. Either that or the writers don't know enough about physics.

Comment

You really have to drop your physics mind at the door SciFi in general (Star Trek is no exception) violates the laws of physics and science on a weekly basis.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post

'Jerusalem' was good though, although written as a hymn it's been adopted as a rousing patriotic tune often sung by drunk rugby players in the bar after matches in the UK. So it fit the scene there and not really surprising Colm Meaney chose it lol!
                      ....which jsut coems to prove how weird my cultural world is. When I heard it it was like... "why are they singing ELP?!" took me a stroll through wikipedia (yes yes I know ) to realise it's not specifically an ELP song
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        You really have to drop your physics mind at the door SciFi in general (Star Trek is no exception) violates the laws of physics and science on a weekly basis.
                        Creating new, imaginary physics is fine, since in reality shows like Star Trek aren't science fiction (fiction is what a story is if it is technically possible for it to occur, even if it is incredibly unlikely), but rather are science fantasy (fantasy is what a story is when it is impossible for the events to happen. It is divided into 2 general categories: science fantasy, and magical fantasy).

So having some technobabble like "OMG! We're about to be sucked into the subspace singularity" is fine, because there is no such thing as a subspace singularity. Since it doesn't exist, they can assign their creation any attributes that they want. (Same with things like warp drive, hyperdrive, transporters, etc).

But when they use something that is real, they should get it right. I found this especially annoying in shows like Doctor Who, where they gave a black hole all sorts of imaginary characteristics. A black hole can't do those sorts of things! If they wanted to make something that was kinda, sorta similar to a black hole, but had all sorts of wonky weird properties, then they should have called it a "subspace singularity", or a "gravitational sinkhole", or whatever.

They can invent new stuff all they want, but they shouldn't screw with real things.

Comment

Then they screw with the new things they invent. Neutral Zone to Earth in one scene? Not really, Ent E. Sometimes, ten minutes after setting up the new things in the first place. Earth to Neptune in a few minutes? Ok. Earth to Q'onos in 3 days? Not really, NX-01. Getting the internal 'new' physics right is just as important as getting the 'old' external physics/chemistry/anthropology/whateverology right.

I've been watching The Big Bang Theory recently. Caught 3 episodes and must admit, despite securing my status as a geek by understanding what a Bose-Einstein condensate was and getting a joke about spherical chickens in a vacuum, it really is the most funny thing I've seen on TV in years. AND it's got a science consultant so everything they talk about or do really DOES work. I highly recommend it.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Stuff is fudged all the time on all scifi shows, nothing new there. But as far as the Bajoran Solar Sail Ship goes there might actually be a logical explanation. I read an article awhile back which was based on various DS9 Trek books that stated Bajor was experimenting with chemical rockets before they built the first 'Solar Sail Ship'. The Bajorans very first 'Solar Sail Ships' were single person vessel's, so the logic went that they were able to launch a small enough vessel using a small chemical rocket with its wings folded so that it would be able to reach orbit, which could then be unfurled by a single pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Since I don't really have a 'physics mind' I wouldn't know what science Trek or Sci Fi violates! I live in blissful ignorance and enjoy the show. I really didn't do well at physics in school but do have a very basic knowledge of what is scientifically real and try to follow some of the more scientific documentaries on Discovery channel aimed at people like me. Excessive technobabble, especially ala VOY, which heads into the realms of idiotic sounding pseudo-scientific terminology, like those found in the skin care and age 'defying' cosmetic ads really does annoy me though.

I can imagine some of the 'violations' of actual science in Sci Fi shows for those who have an interest and good knowledge of science must be annoying though.

Comment

Let's forget the whole 'chemical rockets to get into orbit' thing. Let's concentrate on the whole 'how're we going to get back to the ground from orbit' problem.
                                It is a beautiful ship, though.
                                Spoiler:

It reminds me of the lion fish.
                                Spoiler:
                                Last edited by nx01a; 03 February 2009, 11:40 AM.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X