No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 3 favorite characters from TNG are Data, Picard and Riker by a mile. Honorable mentions would be Troi and Worf and sometimes Dr. Crusher. Favorite part time character are Q, Gowron and Lwaxanna. I didn't really loathe any characters but Wesley and Dr. Pulaski were both rather annoying.
    Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    To answer brother Defiant's question I hated Troi the most. Her role seemed so pointless in so many episodes. I will never understand how she was part of the senior staff.
    I used to wonder the same thing brother jelgate.

It has been awhile since I watched any TNG - If memory serves me right Troi was unique to Enterprise in that Starfleet doesn't normally assign a counselor to senior staff especially on the Flagship of the fleet. She got the gig because she was telepathic and they wanted and needed someone close to the Captain to help in gauging new races they might meet while exploring the galaxy. She did come in handy for that.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

A token empath. Sigh. I was so happy when Jellico [sp] told her to 'get dressed'. Ok, so he told her to put on her uniform in slightly less offensive terms, but that's what it came down to. Troi looked so much better in the science/medical blue than those... things.

27 years, Rac? Wow. Congratulations. For those of us now just pushing 30 and depressed about the 50/50 divorce stats, that's very inspiring. And a fellow Trek devotee, too? A match made in the Celestial Temple.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I was prepared for this.

*brings in a wheelchair for Lady Rac*

To answer brother Defiant's question I hated Troi the most. Her role seemed so pointless in so many episodes. I will never understand how she was part of the senior staff. I have stay I had a liking for Geordi. He was a character I can relate to so muvh
        It was the cleavage that made troi important! *kicks jelgate for the wheelchair crack* we started very young

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        A token empath. Sigh. I was so happy when Jellico [sp] told her to 'get dressed'. Ok, so he told her to put on her uniform in slightly less offensive terms, but that's what it came down to. Troi looked so much better in the science/medical blue than those... things.

27 years, Rac? Wow. Congratulations. For those of us now just pushing 30 and depressed about the 50/50 divorce stats, that's very inspiring. And a fellow Trek devotee, too? A match made in the Celestial Temple.
        yep it has been a good match, EXCEPT he adored TNG, never got him to see how stupid the show was. He wasn't fond of DS9 either, didn't like the politics (which I loved!) other than those two flaws he's wonderful!

Once troi stopped showing the cleavage she seemed even more pointless.

Comment

Ow. Does anyone know first aid.

Looking back at it Lady Rac has a point and I'm starting this. TNG and DS9 were just of guility of using the eyecandy aspect as VOY and ENT they were just more subtle
          Last edited by jelgate; 28 January 2009, 02:56 PM. Reason: Lady Rac may be the typo queen but I'm the typo king
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

TNG and DS9 were just of guility of using the eyecandy aspect as VOY and ENT they were just more subtle
            What about 7 of 9 and T'Pol - those 2 wore some on the tightest most revealing clothing ever of Star Trek, plus they were both very good looking.

All 5 of the Trek series used sexy women and men for that matter to lure in viewers. I would say DS9 and ENT were the 2 least guilty of this.
            Last edited by USS Defiant; 29 January 2009, 06:59 AM.
            The USS Defiant Rocks!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
              What about 7 of 9 and T'Pol - those 2 wore some of the tightest most revealing clothing ever of Star Trek, plus they were both very good looking.

All 5 of the Trek series used sexy women and men for that matter to lure in viewers. I would say DS9 and ENT were the 2 least guilty of this.
              I concurr defiant, ENT & DS9 was the best, on DS9 even the dabo girls weren't too excessive. On ENT, I found T'Pol costume looked strange rather than revealing, it wasn't cut well for her body, not like 7's painted on catsuit.

for jelgate:
              Spoiler:

Comment

DS9 Season III Episode Discussion
                Episode #47 Explorers

After reading some astounding history, Sisko returns from Bajor with an impulse to build an ancient vessel. History states that 800 years ago ancient Bajorans built space vessels that operated on solar sails. According to legend, they were able to make the trip all the way to Cardassia. That's quite a feat at sub-warp speeds--a seemingly impossible feat, really. O'Brien doesn't even believe the design is spaceworthy.

Sisko decides to build one of these sailing ships to prove that the design is spaceworthy and make the legendary trip to the Cardassian system. Using the original plans for the design, he builds the ship in a cargo bay in his spare time. If you're willing to believe Sisko would have enough off-duty time to accomplish such an undertaking by himself over just a few weeks--well, even if you're not--this episode will most likely work for you.

Set as the B-story is Bashir attempting to face Dr. Elizabeth Lense (Bari Hochwald) of the USS Lexington, to whom he lost by a nose in their medical academy Valedictorian race.

I like this episode because it does what the series needs to do every once in a while - forget about threats and plots for a week and just sit back and let the characters carry the show. That's exactly what "Explorers" is - a light-on-plot-and-tension outing which proves the cast knows how to conduct itself with the most basic of material.

Like in the first half of "Past Tense," this episode shows a very respectable trait in Commander Sisko - his feelings of the importance of history. He puts forth a passionate effort on a project he hopes will uncover further truths about the ancient Bajorans, who were exploring their star system while humanity was finally ready to cross the ocean.

Put Jake in the ship with his father for the trip, and "Explorers" becomes a welcome father/son story. This episode highlights some seldom-utilized, meaningful concerns shared between Sisko and his son. For example, Jake reveals that he has been offered a writing fellowship to a school on Earth, which is a terrific opportunity. But Jake also reveals that he's worried to leave his father all alone on DS9. He wants his father to date a little more often. "It's been over a year since your last date. A year, Dad," he says. As a rather amusing notion, Jake knows a freighter captain named Kasidy Yates whom he would like to set up with his father.

The scenes between Sisko and Jake work well; both Brooks and Lofton bring a genuine sense of believability to the relationship. And even when the plot presents the lone sailors with torn-up space sails and destroyed navigation devices, the plot wisely plays down all remnants of a jeopardy angle and keeps the focus on the core of the episode - the character elements.

What initially appears to be a mission failure as the sail ship unexpectedly and unexplainably accelerates to warp speed - presumably light-years off course - turns out to be a successful cruise into the Cardassian system due to technobabble convenience. In a very positive ending, the Siskos are met by Gul Dukat, who offers words of welcome and even celebrates their arrival with fireworks. The presentation of Dukat's lighter side comes across surpassingly well. Finally, finally the writers paint the Cardassians as something other than a brick wall.

The B-story, in which Bashir can't determine why Dr. Lense totally ignores his existence, is a prime example of the presentation transcending the material. Trite as this story may be, it all comes together when Bashir and O'Brien decide to get drunk. Many viewers may find it hokey, but this scene is funny. Colm Meaney particularly does a fine job of acting intoxicated. It's not every day we can see the head of the medical staff and the chief engineer barely able to stand up straight.

"Explorers" simply conveys its own self-maintained optimism to the audience and uses characters rather than plot to tell its story. The strength is that the cast knows how to perform. I give it a solid 8.0 because of Brooks and Loftons performance.
                The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                  I concurr defiant, ENT & DS9 was the best, on DS9 even the dabo girls weren't too excessive. On ENT, I found T'Pol costume looked strange rather than revealing, it wasn't cut well for her body, not like 7's painted on catsuit.
                  T'Pol just looked strange period. Don't get me wrong the actress Jolene Blalock is a very beautiful lady, but that funky hair-piece she was fitted with was awful and made her head look 3 sizes to big. They should have let T'Pol have long hair or they should have ponied up more money to get Blalock to cut her hair (which she refused to do for the part). With all that being said I would have loved to get stuck in one of those medical hyperbolic type chambers with her.
                  The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

T'Pol just looked strange period. Don't get me wrong the actress Jolene Blalock is a very beautiful lady, but that funky hair-piece she was fitted with was awful and made her head look 3 sizes to big. They should have let T'Pol have long hair or they should have ponied up more money to get Blalock to cut her hair (which she refused to do for the part). With all that being said I would have loved to get stuck in one of those medical hyperbolic type chambers with her.
                    I was one who envied her getting stuck with connor trineer, he's not my usual type but he is a cutie! Yeah the head-peice was so weird (almost as bad as the fake dreads ronon's been wearing on sga, I said ALMOST) I almost didn't recognize her when she played Ishta on SG1.

Comment

What about 7 of 9 and T'Pol - those 2 wore some on the tightest most revealing clothing ever of Star Trek, plus they were both very good looking.

4 words

In A Mirror Darkly
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

4 words

In A Mirror Darkly
                        ahhh but that was the alternate version so it doesn't count (like the intendant doesn't count for ds9!)

Comment

ahhh but that was the alternate version so it doesn't count (like the intendant doesn't count for ds9!)
                          That doesn't change the fact that they tried to use beautiful men and women to sell there show. But to be fair almost all shows in 21st Centuary do this
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

That doesn't change the fact that they tried to use beautiful men and women to sell there show. But to be fair almost all shows in 21st Centuary do this
                            IN the final season. well none of the men were exactly butt-ugly either

Comment

IN the final season. well none of the men were exactly butt-ugly either
                              How about the S2 premiere where they made Hoshi nude
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Hoshi and T'Pol in the mirror universe. Sigh. And, of course, the Intendent. Everyone in the mirror universe, really.

Explorers... Meh. I enjoyed the solar sail/warp elements and the Dukat appearance. Jake's never done it for me. It was great seeing Sisko exploring Bajoran culture. I'd forgotten the Bashir B story. I give it a 7.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X