No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With ENT, they got much better once a guy who truly loved Trek came aboard. With this, done by people who've said they're really not that into it, what do you expect?
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
      With ENT, they got much better once a guy who truly loved Trek came aboard. With this, done by people who've said they're really not that into it, what do you expect?
      Good point. They seem to have made this new/old Trek movie for the masses, not the regular Star Trek fan who has watched everything and still enjoys watching all the various shows and movies. This movie is not for us, because IMHO, they never would have gone back and gave us what they made.

Personally I'm not hoping the movie fails per-se, I just won't be to unhappy if it does. Then at least they will move on and try something different next time. What ever happens it will interesting to watch unfold, plus we do get something new.

Comment

The last 'major' reboot that failed miserably was Superman Returns. It completely screwed over the studio and Superman to the point where the execs are thinking of rebooting the reboot to get back closer to the original, er, boot. If this movie does turn out to be trash, let's hope for a situation like that where everyone, from the fans to the critics to the movie execs especially recognize it was the wrong move creatively.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

And a quick DS9 aside [yes, a DS9 aside in a dedicated DS9 thread, I see what I did there]...
          I just realized that 3 actresses played Ziyal! Wow. I honestly never noticed.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            I think the writers are too afraid to do post-Dominion. One bad aspect of the Dominion War arc and Nemesis is that they have made the Federation a lot more stabe with their major rivals (Cardassian, Klingons, and Romulans.) . Still I am firm against going back Kirk era. I don't think you will go anywhere trying to relive the glory days. Which is why new enemies need to be developed.
            I don't feel the Federation is that stable even though they give that impression. I always felt it was a tenuous alliance at best. Alliances in war against a common enemy is easy, the history of mistrust is still there! It would be interesting to see if they could ever get over the basic distrust and differences or could we watch it all go darker in true DS9 style when another threat comes from outside once again. Would the Founders be willing to help or not, will the Romulans find some other way to regain their superior standing? There are so many more interesting dynamics to explore, instead we go backwards. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
              They seem to have made this new/old Trek movie for the masses, not the regular Star Trek fan who has watched everything and still enjoys watching all the various shows and movies. This movie is not for us, because IMHO, they never would have gone back and gave us what they made.

Personally I'm not hoping the movie fails per-se, I just won't be to unhappy if it does. Then at least they will move on and try something different next time. What ever happens it will interesting to watch unfold, plus we do get something new.
              Well said brother Base. This new Trek movie was made for the masses, which is understandable considering just how bad and especially what a huge failure Nemesis was. I am not surprised that they would try this now.

As far as whether this movie will be a success, I would say it has a better chance than Nemesis did. God knows they are spending a ton of money to make it and I'm sure the advertisements will come soon. All the buzz this movie is getting will help alot as well.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                And a quick DS9 aside [yes, a DS9 aside in a dedicated DS9 thread, I see what I did there]...
                I just realized that 3 actresses played Ziyal! Wow. I honestly never noticed.
                Ah yes the 3 Ziyal's. We have had this discussion a few times over the years. I'll give you a brief but detailed re-cap brother nx.

Ziyal #1 was played by the beautiful and talented Cyia Batten (born 26 January 1975; age 33) who played three different roles on three Star Trek series and was the first of three actresses to play Tora Ziyal, Gul Dukat's daughter, appearing twice in DS9's fourth season (Indiscretion & Return to Grace). She also played Irina from the VOY episode Drive where she drag raced Harry and Tom who ended up saving her while both becoming smitten. She also played Navaar (Orion female) from the ENT episode Bound where she does a very seductive dance for Archer.

Batten has made guest appearances in episodes of all three shows in the CSI franchise. She appeared in a CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episode with Wallace Langham, a CSI: New York episode with Marco Sanchez and Irene Tsu as well as an uncredited Morgan Margolis, and a CSI: Miami episode with Mark Rolston and Michael Buchman Silver. Batten is also an original member of the burlesque singing group The Pussycat Dolls.

Ziyal #2 was played by Tracy Middendorf (born 26 January 1970; age 38) who was the second actress to play Tora Ziyal. She appeared in one DS9 episode For the Cause. In 1992, she won the role of Carrie Brady on the long-running soap opera Days of Our Lives. The following year, she began playing the recurring role of Laura Kingman during the fourth season of Beverly Hills, 90210. In 1994, she made her film debut with a supporting role in Wes Craven's New Nightmare, co-starring Fran Bennett, Cully Fredricksen, and Matt Winston.

In the first ten years of her career, she was seen in such television dramas as Murder, She Wrote (in a 1996 episode with fellow DS9 guest-stars Richard Beymer, Meg Foster, and Richard Libertini), Touched by an Angel (in a 1997 episode written by Ken LaZebnik and co-starring Clive Revill), L.A. Doctors (in a 1998 episode with John Billingsley), Ally McBeal (two 1999 episodes, including one with Albert Hall and Ray Walston), Family Law (with Scott MacDonald, Christopher McDonald, and Julie Warner), Six Feet Under (with Ed Begley, Jr.), JAG (with Zach Grenier, Scott Lawrence, and Terry O'Quinn), and Any Day Now (with Daniel Dae Kim and Tom Wright). She also had a recurring role on The Practice, working with the likes of Bruce Davison, Bruce French, John Larroquette, Richard McGonagle, Lawrence Pressman, and Steve Rankin.

Middendorf's subsequent science fiction credits following her appearance on DS9 include an episode of Perversions of Science with Chris Sarandon, the first episode of Angel, in which she played (along with Vyto Ruginis) the very first "damsel in distress" the good vampire tried to save in the series, and a 2000 episode of The X-Files with Randy Oglesby. Her more recent TV work include four episodes of 24 (co-starring Michelle Forbes) and guest spots on CSI, Cold Case (with Michael Nouri), Medical Investigation (starring Neal McDonough), House M.D., Without a Trace (co-starring Enrique Murciano and John de Lancie), and Shark (starring Jeri Ryan).

Middendorf has worked several times with J.J. Abrams over the years. She appeared in two episodes of Abrams' hit series in 2003, with Terry O'Quinn in the first and Christian Slater in both. The first of those were written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci and directed by the latter. Three years later, Middendorf appeared in Abrams' feature film directorial debut, Paramount's Mission: Impossible III (also co-written by Kurtzman and Orci and co-starring Simon Pegg). Most recently, Middendorf appeared in two episodes of Lost, the hit ABC series co-created by Abrams and Damon Lindelof and starring Daniel Dae Kim and Terry O'Quinn.

Ziyal #3 was played by Melanie Smith (born 16 December 1962; age 45), she was the third and final and most memorable actress to play Tora Ziyal. She appeared in 6 episodes "In Purgatory's Shadow" - "By Inferno's Light" - "Call to Arms" - "Sons and Daughters" - "Favor the Bold" - "Sacrifice of Angels". She has also had recurring roles on Seinfeld, Melrose Place, The Division, the science fiction Western The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., and also had a recurring role on the soap opera As the World Turns.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I am looking forward to the movie just because I am a trekkie. It can't possibly be worse than the first movie (or any of tng movies!) but I will see it. (it actually can't be worse than the 4th indiana jones movie... what a disappointment that was!) But i admit no opening night for me...I will see what some of you people think about it first!
                  Last edited by Rac80; 20 November 2008, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I guess in the new ST movie they have the enterprise made here in Iowa, and one of the major manufactors in Iowa in Winnebago Industries,

so the enterprise could be FLYING WINNEBAGO!!!!, pretty sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                      I am looking forward to the movie just because I am a trekkie. It can't possibly be worse than the first movie (or any of tng movies!) but I will see it. (it actually can't be worse than the 4th indiana jones movie... what a disappointment that was!) But i admit no pening night for me...I will see what some of you people think about it first!
                      Oh it could definetly be worse than the Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but will it be worse than Nemesis?, for that to happen it has to one helluva stinker.

I reluctantly rented and watched the newish Indiana Jones movie. I heard all the negative reviews by critics and fans alike, but I still wanted to see for myself. The wife and I actually enjoyed the first hour or so, then it got ridiculous and kind of bizzarre, and not in a cool Indiana Jones way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
                        I guess in the new ST movie they have the enterprise made here in Iowa, and one of the major manufactors in Iowa in Winnebago Industries,

so the enterprise could be FLYING WINNEBAGO!!!!, pretty sweet
                        LOL, how sweet is that!, what a brilliant piece of inside information brother Batchi, thank's for sharing.

Comment

Oh it could definetly be worse than the Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but will it be worse than Nemesis?, for that to happen it has to one helluva stinker.

I reluctantly rented and watched the newish Indiana Jones movie. I heard all the negative reviews by critics and fans alike, but I still wanted to see for myself. The wife and I actually enjoyed the first hour or so, then it got ridiculous and kind of bizzarre, and not in a cool Indiana Jones way.
                          But the bigger question will it be worse than Insurrection. To me that was the 2nd worse Trek movie. Star Trek V was the worst to me
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

The biggest question: Can we even call this a Star Trek movie?
                            Basically, this isn't ST: XI, it's ST:0... or ST: -1. And when comic books do issue 0 or -1, they usually suck.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

So what does everyone think of the new Star Trek movie. I just watched the trailer and it looks alright. I mean you can't really tell by just watching a few scattered scenes, but it did look entertaining at least.

Check it out if you haven't already....

This one is kind of dark, you can tell someone snuck a video camera into a theater and recorded it.
                              http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQXw7-zHwI

Here's another one which is just some interview stuff and they also talk about bringing back the original score brom TOS, kind of cool.
                              http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQXw7-zHwI
                              Hi everybody,

I am going to watch the trailer on Saturday, there is a mini show discussing the movie and they will show it there, I am slightly nervous about it but I will at least hold off any thoughts until I see the trailer.

Also I need a bit of help, how do you only quoate one paragraph instead of an entire post? Its something i've wondered for months and I would be grateful for the help.
                              LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
                              Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
                              99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

Originally posted by SpinningChevron View Post
                                Also I need a bit of help, how do you only quoate one paragraph instead of an entire post??* Its something i've wondered for months and I would be grateful for the help.
                                You can't.You quote the whole and delete the part you don't want to reply to
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X