Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
    Last summer SPACE had a feature on one- Vaughn Armstrong, Robert Picardo, Ethan Philips, an actress from DS9, her name completly escapes me at the moment- whoever Leeta is, I think that was her, another recognizable guest star from most series who is also in the Ent band (him and Vaughn Armstrong played for everyone), and I'm pretty sure there were a few others as well.
    It was where the actors hung around with the fans, at pajama parties, trivia competitions, the actors performed kariokee, I think Ethen Philips did some comedy, triva competitions, lots of mingleing, a river raft adventure and a whole bunch of other things. It looked like a crazy good time.

That's awesome Trek_Girl!, I have never heard of anything like that, although it doesn't surprise me about Star Trek actors and actresses. Star Trek and (Stargate for that matter) actors seem to be more friendly and willing to engage there fans than any other group from all scifi genres.

Leeta was played by Chase Masterson.

I wonder if Riker actually plays the Trombone?.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
      Yeah, I love DS9, my favorite Trek by far. DS9 also shows the huge influence B5 had on the whole Sci-Fi genre.
      I totally agree Vyse!, you can see Babylon 5's influence in DS9 and visa versa, they aired at the sametime (1993-1998). You can also see the influence of DS9 and Babylon 5 in Farscape as well.

Welcome to the DS9 thread Vyse!, check us out regulary we will be starting season 5 episode discussion among other things in the next couple weeks.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
        Yeah, I love DS9, my favorite Trek by far. DS9 also shows the huge influence B5 had on the whole Sci-Fi genre.
        Yes, both DS9 and B5 are great. Thank goodness for DVDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
          That's awesome Trek_Girl!, I have never heard of anything like that, although it doesn't surprise me about Star Trek actors and actresses. Star Trek and (Stargate for that matter) actors seem to be more friendly and willing to engage there fans than any other group from all scifi genres.
          I agree!, you and I have been to quite a few Star Trek events and sure there is a small group of total live there lives by ST but most of the people that show up are successful people with families that happen to love good scifi, not the stereo typed nerd that most non-trekkies might imagine.

Leeta was played by Chase Masterson.
          The lovely Chase Masterson, she was at the opening of Quarks bar in Las Vegas when I attended.

I wonder if Riker actually plays the Trombone?.
          I am not sure, but I believe I did read that he does play Trombone, how well, who knows?.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race

I am not sure, but I believe I did read that he does play Trombone, how well, who knows?.
            I like when the writers can incorporate activities the actors do in their lives into the lives of the characters as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
              I like when the writers can incorporate activities the actors do in their lives into the lives of the characters as well.
              I agree!, I do know for sure that Patrick Stewart does play the flute and asked to have Picard play the flute in various episodes.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I totally agree Vyse!, you can see Babylon 5's influence in DS9 and visa versa, they aired at the sametime (1993-1998). You can also see the influence of DS9 and Babylon 5 in Farscape as well.
                I got the feeling while watching both Babylon 5 and Deep Space 9 that there was a distinct influence of each in the others show. Not just because of a Space station being the centerpiece of each series but by the storylines itself. I also got the feeling while watching Farscape that the FS writers were big DS9 and B5 fans as well (especially DS9), after all imitation is the highest form of flattery!.

I see the influence of all Star Trek series in most if not all other space based scifi series including SG and SGA, especially from TOS and TNG. TNG used the premise of quite a few TOS storyline arc's in various episodes throughout the whole series. I remember watching episodes of Farscape, Babylon 5, Andromeda, Firefly and a few others where I would get the feeling of seeing this same type of story being played out in a earlier Star Trek episode. I guess it's not that easy coming up with totally original stuff all the time, or that ST is just so damn good, I vote for the latter.

Comment

I got the feeling while watching both Babylon 5 and Deep Space 9 that there was a distinct influence of each in the others show. Not just because of a Space station being the centerpiece of each series but by the story-lines itself. I also got the feeling while watching Farscape that the FS writers were big DS9 and B5 fans as well (especially DS9), after all imitation is the highest form of flattery!.
                  I think a lot of people that watched all of these scifi shows as diligently as we did brother Base realized the parallels from each others respected shows. I agree about Farscape definitely having a DS9 feel to it in quite a few episodes.

I see the influence of all Star Trek series in most if not all other space based scifi series including SG and SGA, especially from TOS and TNG. TNG used the premise of quite a few TOS storyline arc's in various episodes throughout the whole series. I remember watching episodes of Farscape, Babylon 5, Andromeda, Firefly and a few others where I would get the feeling of seeing this same type of story being played out in a earlier Star Trek episode. I guess it's not that easy coming up with totally original stuff all the time, or that ST is just so damn good, I vote for the latter.
                  Well said!, the parallels from TOS to TNG were very obvious which makes sense since Roddenberry was the man in both series. When Braga started DS9 and took over most of the creative writing, DS9 was definetly something different than TOS or TNG, it was darker, not based on a ship, and had a lot more non-Federation characters. But even still, the influences of TOS and TNG were very apparent. This is also true of VOY and ENT, a lot of those episodes from each had story-lines and premises that reminded you of or down right copied something you had seen before on TOS, TNG and DS9.
                  Last edited by the Fifth Race; 05 May 2006, 04:54 AM.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I think a lot of people that watched all of these scifi shows as diligently as we did brother Base realized the parallels from each others respected shows. I agree about Farscape definitely having a DS9 feel to it in quite a few episodes.
                    You mean there are others out there that watch as much scifi as us?, NO way! .

Well said!, the parallels from TOS to TNG were very obvious which makes sense since Roddenberry was the man in both series. When Braga started DS9 and took over most of the creative writing, DS9 was definetly something different than TOS or TNG, it was darker, not based on a ship, and had a lot more non-Federation characters. But even still, the influences of TOS and TNG were very apparent. This is also true of VOY and ENT, a lot of those episodes from each had story-lines and premises that reminded you of or down right copied something you had seen before on TOS, TNG and DS9.
                    It is always interesting to see what a specific series will do to put a new spin on an old storyline arc, (for ex....time travel, alternate universe, changlings, broken alliances, all powerful evil empires or govt's ruling the masses...etc...) you see these a few other premises in every series in form or another. Some manage to find something totally new and unique while others just repeat it with there own characters. I'm not complaining, because if its entertaining and good, who cares if they copied it from the mighty Trek franchise.

Comment

You mean there are others out there that watch as much scifi as us?, NO way! .
                      LOL....I think between you and I we have seen everything Star Trek a dozens or more times.

It is always interesting to see what a specific series will do to put a new spin on an old storyline arc, (for ex....time travel, alternate universe, changelings, broken alliances, all powerful evil empires or govt's ruling the masses...etc...) you see these a few other premises in every series in form or another. Some manage to find something totally new and unique while others just repeat it with there own characters. I'm not complaining, because if its entertaining and good, who cares if they copied it from the mighty Trek franchise.
                      Well said, as usual my good friend!, Trek does seem to lead the way with other franchises copying Star Treks ideas and premises. I know there are a lot of scifi fans that have trouble with the time travel or alternate universe arc that Star Trek used. But after watching more than a few other franchises completely butcher TT and AU story-lines, Trek did it quite well (not always)but in general.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Trek does seem to lead the way with other franchises copying Star Treks ideas and premises. I know there are a lot of scifi fans that have trouble with the time travel or alternate universe arc that Star Trek used. But after watching more than a few other franchises completely butcher TT and AU story-lines, Trek did it quite well (not always)but in general.
                        I am one that throughly enjoyed the time travel episodes from various Trek series. The ones they did on TNG were the best, especially when Data runs into Guinan and Samuel Clemons in late 1800's San Francisco, great stuff!. Enterprise did quite well with there time traveling episodes too!. I also enjoyed the alternate universe epsiodes from DS9, funny, sexy and twisted!, I think Farscape blatantly copied that premise from DS9, to which they did a great job on there alternate universe episodes as well.

Comment

I am one that thoroughly enjoyed the time travel episodes from various Trek series. The ones they did on TNG were the best, especially when Data runs into Guinan and Samuel Clemons in late 1800's San Francisco, great stuff!. Enterprise did quite well with there time traveling episodes too!. I also enjoyed the alternate universe episodes from DS9, funny, sexy and twisted!, I think Farscape blatantly copied that premise from DS9, to which they did a great job on there alternate universe episodes as well.
                          I enjoyed the time travel episodes myself, that episode on TNG where Data time travels and meets up with Guinan and Clemons (Time Travel parts I & II) are in my top 10 Trek episodes of all time!.

I also enjoyed the time travel episodes on ENT. The one where they go ahead to the 26th century and see a futuristic Starfleet ship in battle with the expansion aliens with Xindi Starfleet members was excellent. The one where Enterprise is thrown back to Earth circa. 1943 during WWII after the aquatic Xinidi ship towed them back to Earth was fantastic as well.

The alternate universe episodes from DS9 and Farscape are priceless, funny and very sexual, you gotta love it!.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I enjoyed the time travel episodes myself, that episode on TNG where Data time travels and meets up with Guinan and Clemons (Time Travel parts I & II) are in my top 10 Trek episodes of all time!.
                            It was actually called 'Time's Arrow, Parts I & II', where Data is killed in an undergroud explosion under the Presidio In San Francisco where a U.S. Army based used to be stationed and the World's expo was held in the early 1900's. That was great Guinan, Data and Picard episode.

I also enjoyed the time travel episodes on ENT. The one where they go ahead to the 26th century and see a futuristic Starfleet ship in battle with the expansion aliens with Xindi Starfleet members was excellent. The one where Enterprise is thrown back to Earth circa. 1943 during WWII after the aquatic Xinidi ship towed them back to Earth was fantastic as well.
                            I enjoyed the whole Xindi storyline from ENT, that scene where Archer is looking at a 26th century Starfleet ship in battle against expansion aliens was epic!. Thats where the next Trek series should take place (26th century)

The alternate universe episodes from DS9 and Farscape are priceless, funny and very sexual, you gotta love it!.
                            They did quite racy with those alternate universe episodes on DS9 and especially Farscape. I loved it

Comment

I got this from doing some research on the history of Star Trek.....

Star Trek: Phase II..... was a new Star Trek television series set to air in 1978 as the flagship series of a proposed Paramount television network, and 12 episode scripts were written before production was due to begin. The series would have put most of the original crew back on the Enterprise for a second five-year mission, except for Spock, because Leonard Nimoy would not agree to a contract; a younger full-blooded Vulcan named Xon was planned as a replacement, although they expected Nimoy to appear occasionally in episodes as a guest star.

Sets were constructed and they even filmed several minutes of test footage. However the risks of launching a fourth major television network and the popularity of the-recently released film Star Wars led Paramount to make a Star Trek film instead of a weekly television series. The first script of this aborted series was basis for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, while two others were eventually adapted as episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Interesting stuff to say the least.
                              Last edited by the Fifth Race; 05 May 2006, 11:07 AM.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

/\/\/\/\ Very interesting read, I seem to remember seeing some concept drowings of what some Starships might look like in that 1978 series.

Comment

Working...
                                X