Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
    People didn't hear about it when the news first came out. I only found out because I could access GW and read it there. Strangely enough there wasn't much talk about it. Bruce Woloshyn was the only one connected with Stargate that I recall mentioning that there would be an Atlantis movie. It just seems to be generally accepted that everything is moving on to concentrate on Stargate: Universe.

I wonder how many people felt like I did in that it seems like an end of an era and there wasn't really anything we could say. It was made clear that Universe is hoping to introduce Stargate to a younger generation, the question I ask is, what about the existing older fans, no mention about what Universe will be for them?

As always I will give it a chance instead of totally going off on one about what I think it will be like. I could be surprised and stop being annoyed about the show made for the 'younger' audience. Look at me I'm really getting old now, I'm off moaning about this ad nauseaum! LOL!
    The thing is, it's not so much that they're making it for a younger audience that is the problem, it's what they think the younger audience wants to see. There are just as many "younger" viewers who want to see the same things from the show as the "older" viewers, and I'd bet it evens out or is even greater of an audience than the number of viewers that they *think* they know what they want to see.....

That makes little to no sense I know.....I just came of a fourteen hour school day, that's my excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
      The tribute to Don S. Davis was wonderful. His wife even made an appearance to share her memories with some of the fans she said he spoke of often and how he appreciated our love of him and his character. There wasn't a dry eye in the room after that, myself included, it was a truly moving experience. This highlighted even more of how much of a 'family' everyone associated with Stargate really is, from the actors and their families, the producers and production crew to the fans.
      That is great to hear Kris, I was hoping they were going to do something for Davis and it sounds like they did it tastefully and in great classy Stargate fashion.
      Originally posted by Krisz
      Corin Nemec told his stories of his encounters with 'Klingons' at one con he attended. I think I posted this before but it's hilarious and I now have a bit I missed the last time he told it. He was going back to his room at the hotel (he was wearing a shirt that mentioned wrestling) A really drunk guy dressed as a Klingon came along, saw the T shirt and challenged him to wrestle him as a 'Klingon' would of course! Corin managed to escape only to end up by the pool and be faced with a hot tub full of 'Klingons' being sung to by the actor who played Flash Gordon in the '80's movie. He was not much better off sober wise than the 'Klingons'! Corin must have been wondering if any part of his life was real by this point I should think, poor guy!
      I have seen a you tube clip of him telling that story at an earlier convention, quite funny. Was there any word on what he is up to these days other than hanging out a Stargate conventions. I have seen him in a couple pretty bad scifi channel movies, but other than that nothing really.
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        The thing is, it's not so much that they're making it for a younger audience that is the problem, it's what they think the younger audience wants to see. There are just as many "younger" viewers who want to see the same things from the show as the "older" viewers, and I'd bet it evens out or is even greater of an audience than the number of viewers that they *think* they know what they want to see ..... That makes little to no sense I know.....I just came of a fourteen hour school day, that's my excuse.
        It makes perfect sense to me Lady Trek and I cannot really disagree. I also believe that sometimes TPTB try over think things by guessing what angle to take with the storyline and what genre to target as there audience. We saw this with ENT where TPTB thought that targeting a younger audience by showing Starfleet in its infancy (pre Kirk era) it would get a younger non Star Trek crowd to watch more. I can remember alot of fellow upset Trek fans at a Trek convention when they first announced ENT. We all though pretty much the samething -- were going to watch it and give it a shot -- but that it probably isn't going to be that good -- and it isn't going to last very long. Can we start predicting the samething for Stargate: Universe?. (I'm still debating)
        The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

I'm keeping an open mind. It'll be the only space-based sci-fi show on tv, no doubt, so I'll HAVE to watch it. As for targetting the younger audience, tptb have said we'll see alot more space battles in this series, so perhaps all the flashy action and cool balls of damage will attract the youngsters... and me.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Just saw 'The Shrine'. Oh my God.
            Spoiler:
            I really enjoyed this episode. It was incredibly painful to watch, but it was a great episode. THIS is why I avoid spoilers and Sci-Fi ads!

The Good:
            >The writing, the acting, the special effects. Where can I begin?! A heart-tugging script compounded by the acting from the cast, particularly the regular Hewitt.
            >Woolsey's personal admission. Who else did he tell? He stopped appropriately short of saying 'friends, family, ex-wife, dog'. Who DOES he have?
            >Keller. Nice to see her doing something instead of just making dumb comments and being generally weak. Taking Rodney away from the radiation like that might seem cruel, but I doubt the others or Rodney would have gone along with it. Sly, but necessary. Nicely done, Doctor.
            >John/Rodney love. The BEST scene in the episode, apart from Rodney's generally brilliant dementia. Even when almost fully gone, John was still his best friend.
            >Hearing Rodney refer to himself as 'Mr' and then seeing 'Dr McKay' in the credits. I had an uncomfortable chuckle at that.
            >If you look closely, you can see a starfish-like thing floating in the water, illuminated by the stargate at about 6 minutes into the episode. Nice touch! Rodney WAS infected on that planet.
            >2 hives = deep valley.
            >"And my parting advise: Stop letting these guys talk you into doing stupid things!"
            >The opposite of 'Tao of Rodney'.
            >I thought they would raid a hive for medical equipment, but that would have been a bit much. "My head is not your new deck!"
            >"Ronon, the Explainer." LOL!

The Bad:
            >'Planet of the Ancestors' + 'seemingly magical cure' = 'SEND ZELENKA AND A FULL SCIENCE TEAM!!!' It's the Ancients! DUH!
            >The top part of the 'waterfall' looked fake.
            >Keller's loved by Rodney, but she and Ronon were having a few moments there, too. Love triangle?
            >So... You couldn't just teleport the parasite out of his brain? I mean... Come on! The same way Jeanie was able to gate to Atlantis, they could have gated Rodney to a planet near the Daedalus and have them beam it out of his head.
            >Stasis couldn't slow down the parasite? STASIS?!??!

The Verdict:
            >Wow. Definitely the best episode of the season so far. Perhaps the best episode of last season. 9/10. I'm not sure if I can watch it again without getting sad, but I'll definitely try.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
              We saw this with ENT where TPTB thought that targeting a younger audience by showing Starfleet in its infancy (pre Kirk era) it would get a younger non Star Trek crowd to watch more. I can remember alot of fellow upset Trek fans at a Trek convention when they first announced ENT. We all though pretty much the samething -- were going to watch it and give it a shot -- but that it probably isn't going to be that good -- and it isn't going to last very long.
              I always felt that ENT was a mistake. The powers that be with Paramount must have been sniffing glue when they came up with the idea of creating an entire series to tell the story of how the Federation and Starfleet came about. They totally missed the mark and created something that basically deemed every pre-Kirk Star Trek novel as false. They should have made the story of the first Enterprise a movie or left it to the books. With all that being said, I own the entire ENT collection on DVD and enjoy watching episodes regulary.
              Originally posted by USS Defiant
              Can we start predicting the samething for Stargate: Universe?. (I'm still debating)
              On the surface SG: Universe does look like a stretch. I sure hope they know what there doing, because it has that ENT/Jump the Shark feel to it.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                I'm keeping an open mind. It'll be the only space-based sci-fi show on tv, no doubt, so I'll HAVE to watch it. As for targetting the younger audience, tptb have said we'll see alot more space battles in this series, so perhaps all the flashy action and cool balls of damage will attract the youngsters... and me.
                Damn, the only space based scifi series on television. Whats up with that?. I'm still holding out hope that the new Trek movie coming out next year will be good enough to appeal to young and old Trek fans, and maybe reinvigorate the franchise enough that they just might start talking about another television series. Then again if the new Trek movie is good we might be stuck with a string of Trek movies starring the new cast and also stuck in that time frame.

So what do you all think about the web-show Sanctuary coming to television?. I have never seen a webisode and I have only read a small bit about what Sanctuary is based on, but it does pique my interest enough that I will happily tune in at the end of the month when it premieres.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                  Damn, the only space based scifi series on television. Whats up with that?. I'm still holding out hope that the new Trek movie coming out next year will be good enough to appeal to young and old Trek fans, and maybe reinvigorate the franchise enough that they just might start talking about another television series. Then again if the new Trek movie is good we might be stuck with a string of Trek movies starring the new cast and also stuck in that time frame.
                  I also hope that the new ST film will invigorate the franchise. I would love to see what you describe.

But there is another (kind of) space based show coming to TV next year that I'm excited about. It's called Virtuality, and Ron Moore is involved. There are some details that I find intriguing here.

As for Universe, I hope it's a success for the Stargate franchise, but I'm afraid I will not be watching. I loved the first three seasons of SGA nearly as much as DS9. But my disappointment with the subsequent seasons, the rather questionable timing of Atlantis's cancellation and the announcement of Universe's green light, and my lack of interest in the new premise, will leave me not switiching on the tube for this one.

So what do you all think about the web-show Sanctuary coming to television?. I have never seen a webisode and I have only read a small bit about what Sanctuary is based on, but it does pique my interest enough that I will happily tune in at the end of the month when it premieres.
                  Yeah, I was curious about Sanctuary too. I haven't seen the webisodes either, but I plan to check it out. The previews look interesting.

Comment

The CGI backgrounds on the first series were a bit... iffy, but tptb have said they'll throw even more money and time into the renderings to make everything as realistic as possible. The storyline was interesting, the guest appearances by SG regulars were nice [especially McKay], and of Sam's british accent's hilarious. The actress who plays her daughter, though... iffy.
                    Sci-Fi is 'rebooting' the series for TV, so the events in the first miniseries have been retconned, I think. Good thing, too. The # of SG people who bought it in the miniseries was sad. I'll look forward to seeing them again, especially McKay.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

DS9 Season III Episode Discussion
                      Episode #63 Distant Voices

"Distant Voices" is strange, atypical, offbeat and often quite interesting. What more could you expect from a Joe Menosky concept? He's the guy who brought us TNG's -- "Darmok," "Masks" and "Emergence," as well as DS9's -- "Dramatis Personae" and "Rivals." Sometimes Menosky concepts can be terrific stories, like the dramatic "Darmok." Sometimes they can be bizarre works which seem to beam in from other galaxies, like the laughably horrendous "Masks."

"Distant Voices" is a mixed bag. It has some good moments, and it keeps one intrigued. But there just isn't enough substance from scripters Behr and Wolfe to keep Menosky's concept moving along. Perhaps the concept alone can't sustain an entire hour.

The concept: A telepathic attack by a Lethean criminal leaves Dr. Bashir dying in a coma. The story is told from inside Bashir's mind. Each facet of his personality is represented by one of his DS9 comrades. In order to survive, he must use the different parts of his personality to repair a dead Deep Space Nine. (The station, of course, represents Bashir's own mind.)

The episode begins in a cloud of mystery as Bashir apparently wakes up from the Lethean's attack to find the station dark and empty. As Bashir roams the station, he finds his fellow DS9 officers, though the crew and civilians are all missing. Quark sits cowering behind his bar while the Lethean tears up his establishment. Bashir runs into Garak while looking for Odo. Bashir finds Dax, Kira, Odo and O'Brien arguing in the wardroom on how to stop the Lethean. Through all this, Bashir goes through an accelerating aging process.

In this opening act, the cloud of mystery successfully begs attention. Aside from the senior officers, why is there no one on the station? What is the Lethean up to? Why are all the station's systems down? Why does Bashir suddenly have grey hair? But when Menosky's concept is revealed--that this is all a very wild hallucination Bashir is having--the episode begins looking for what next to do with the concept, with only limited success.

Like "Emergence," TNG's inept attempt at highbrow symbolism (also written by Menosky), "Distant Voices" begins throwing a number of symbols at us, hoping that we genuinely care. The Lethean represents Bashir's inner struggle with elements of his past. If he loses this struggle, he will die in the coma. So the plot takes Bashir on a mission to get to Ops and repair the station. Symbolically, if he can repair the station and destroy the Lethean, he will survive the coma.

The story's apparent intention is to combine all these symbols in order to (1) show each DS9 character turned into a single personality trait, (2) set each scene with a creative, surreal visual and (3) milk Bashir's inner struggle for character development.

This all works to a point. The cast's personality manipulations are interesting, but hardly astonishing given the premise. The fresh visuals grab attention, even if they are a bit gimmicky. And this is really the only episode so far this season that spotlights Bashir.

Unfortunately, this episode takes too long to get where it ends up, and where it ends up is relatively underwhelming. One problem is that the climax hangs on Bashir confronting himself (represented by the Lethean), which reveals character backstory we've already heard before. (That old pre-ganglionic fiber thing again, eh?)

Another, perhaps bigger problem with this story is that it presses the symbolism factor on us by trying to explain every symbol in some concrete manner. Explaining every piece of what the station stands for in Bashir's mind is an excessive step the writers take that doesn't give the audience enough credit. It's almost like they're condescending. Symbolism is a device that requires subtlety--and subtlety is definitely not present here. Consequently, the episode's symbol angle falls apart, just as it did in "Emergence." Maybe the problem is that Joe Menosky is so far out there on some of these ideas that no one is really ready for it, including the writing staff.

Hey, I like original ideas. And "Distant Voices" has an original concept with sporadically interesting moments. But there's just not enough meat here. I give it a 7.4 rating.
                      The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                        But there is another (kind of) space based show coming to TV next year that I'm excited about. It's called Virtuality, and Ron Moore is involved. There are some details that I find intriguing here.
                        Thanks for the link Mariel. I have heard about this but hadn't read any details about it until now.
                        Originally posted by marielabbott
                        As for Universe, I hope it's a success for the Stargate franchise, but I'm afraid I will not be watching. I loved the first three seasons of SGA nearly as much as DS9. But my disappointment with the subsequent seasons, the rather questionable timing of Atlantis's cancellation and the announcement of Universe's green light, and my lack of interest in the new premise, will leave me not switiching on the tube for this one.
                        Ahhh you have to at least check it out. I am too not happy with cancellation of Atlantis but I understand why it was done. As much as I might not want to like SGU I will happily tune in to the premiere episode.
                        Originally posted by marielabbott
                        Yeah, I was curious about Sanctuary too. I haven't seen the webisodes either, but I plan to check it out. The previews look interesting.
                        I haven't seen or read anything about Sanctuary other than it was a web show and had a lot of Stargate actors. From the the few trailers I have seen on the scifi channel it almost has a Torchwood/Dr. Who feel to it?.

Comment

Sanctuary... a TW/DW feel? Perish the thought! I mean that in a good way. What do YOU mean by 'feel'?
                          It's a bit like TW in that they investigate monsters and have a basement full of containment cells, but they try and save the monsters, not blow them away.

Clea Duvall's in a new tv series?!?!?! MUST watch Virtuality! Must can!
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                            Sanctuary... a TW/DW feel? Perish the thought! I mean that in a good way. What do YOU mean by 'feel'?
                            It's a bit like TW in that they investigate monsters and have a basement full of containment cells, but they try and save the monsters, not blow them away.
                            LOL, I was basing it on the way it looked. I had no idea that was the premise of the show. I made a good guess.

Are we getting another season of Torchwood or what?

Comment

5 part 5 hr miniseries in early 2009. Better than nothing.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

If Sanctuary turns out like Doctor Who then I am turning off the TV.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X