Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    um yeah I still love you anyway I wanna apologize aswell. this is the DS9 Superior thread, we can talk about ratings in the appropriate parts of the forum
    No need to apologize for that brother J1. You know how brother Fifth feels about an open forum on this epic thread when it comes to scifi. This is more a thread of fellow DS9/Star Trek fans that love to discuss any and all aspects of scifi with a penchant for DS9 of course. I don't venture out in the forum to talk about this stuff, I prefer the opinions of my fellow brethren right here. (You guys and gals are uber smart on this thread, I truly have great respect and admiration for everyone here).
    Originally posted by Jumper_One
    question: how do you think the quality of DS9 changed throughout the years? is it easier to find standout eps in the earlier seasons?
    If anything the quality is more apparent when I rewatch episodes today. I always felt and knew that DS9 was the better and smart Trek series. -- Not for techobabble stuff, but the writing and quality of acting are IMHO head and shoulders above any other Trek show. Plus how cool a premise were the Dominion War conflict, the Bajoran and Cardassian angle, not to mention the advancement in storylines of the Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi and to a lesser degree the Breen. We learned a hundred times more stuff about each of these wonderful races than we ever learned on any other Trek series.

As far as the early seasons go I have a huge appreciation for seasons 1, 2 and 3. As you know I love to do DS9 episode reviews and the more I rewatch the earlier seasons the more I realize that there are a lot of truly good and great stand alone episodes.
    The USS Defiant Rocks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

The more I hear about Star Trek XI the more I think it will bomb. They need to go forward not backward
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        The more I hear about Star Trek XI the more I think it will bomb. They need to go forward not backward
        I really want to see post dominion war ST. There's so much potential there, something with the Titan would be great!

Comment

I think the franchise is scarad to go forward. The Alpha Quadrant is relativel stable. The Cardassians were near extinction and we helped the Romulans stop a coup. The Borg were supposly destroyed.It kind of hard for new enemies to show up. I just think the franchise will stay stagnet if they go back to Kirk.
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Yep, I haven't read a word about the movie but my gut tells me it's going to be stale and more of the same crap with new bells and whistles. Part of the OS was seeing what SFX they could produce back then. Nowadays SFX are just a mask for good story and character development.

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
              I'm sorry for getting irked brother J1, it's not personal, I like you and consider you a good friend. - But when someone tells me my or anyone elses opinion is wrong, I stick up for them and myself. You have your opinion, fine, but when you start telling people they're wrong because of what you percieve to be right when the facts are disputed you are going to piss people off.
              I'm glad you apologized brother USS Defiant. Even though I may lean towards a low rating argument (among other mitigating circumstances) brother Jumper 1 did not deserve your ire. I think he was showing a love and dedication for Atlantis by standing up for it with some of the Atlantis bashing (which I am guilty of, but I also believe some of it is warranted) that has been going on since the announcement of the cancellation.

I must say the more I think about it the more I am bummed. I am glad that the franchise will live on with a new show (SGU) and hopefully some more movies but its sad to see Shep and company get the ax. With all this that has gone down with Atlantis, I am not going to wait until the end of the season to start watching season V.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                I'm glad you apologized brother USS Defiant. Even though I may lean towards a low rating argument (among other mitigating circumstances) brother Jumper 1 did not deserve your ire. I think he was showing a love and dedication for Atlantis by standing up for it with some of the Atlantis bashing (which I am guilty of, but I also believe some of it is warranted) that has been going on since the announcement of the cancellation.
                I could not agree more. Brother J1 did not deserve the "ire" I threw his way yesterday. I totally let my emotions dictate my actions which is never a good thing, especially when arguing something. Again I apologize brother J1, brother Fifth and everyone else. I should have not attacked you for being passionate about what you believe. My bad!.
                Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                I must say the more I think about it the more I am bummed. I am glad that the franchise will live on with a new show (SGU) and hopefully some more movies but its sad to see Shep and company get the ax. With all this that has gone down with Atlantis, I am not going to wait until the end of the season to start watching season V.
                I love Woolsey, sure he is cowtowing to Shep alot sooner than I wanted, but at least they are humanizing him, and it helps that he (Picardo) is such a great actor. I want to see Ronan without that mop on the top of his head.
                The USS Defiant Rocks!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Well I can't speak for Jumper One but I think it has to do with fan preferences. I always have and always will be a Gate fan first. We blindly defend our franchise just like I imagine if 2000 was the present and someone came in here and was saying why the Trek was mundane and predictable people like brother Fifth and Defiant would go on defending it because as shown many times they are die hard Trek fans
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I rewatched 'Variations' and Teyla
                    Spoiler:
                    didn't try to use any technology before she brought up the last log entry. She asked questions about the identity of the ship in orbit and why the ship was so cold, but she was basically consistently technologically competent in the episode. I also loved how she didn't know how to seal a hull breach. She doesn't know all, but she's learning.
                    I'm hopeful that XI will be a great movie, though I am disappointed with the prequel POV. Kirk and Spock etc are the basis for Trek and TNG seems to have lost its appeal, so go back to basics.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I personally think it makes perfect sense to go back to Kirk and Spock for the next Star Trek film/series because that's what everyone knows, and would in my opinion be the best way to bring in new viewers. As for DS9 being the best Trek - I thoroughly enjoyed DS9 but DS9 and TNG were completely different animals. On TNG, the characters were more perfect, had fewer flaws, while on DS9 nobody was perfect. Also on DS9 there was a much larger cast of recurring characters who had major roles on the series (Garak, Gul Dukat, Martok, etc.), while TNG only had a few - the only characters who were really strong recurring characters on TNG were the Obrien's and Q, there were other characters like Sela and the Duras sisters, but they only showed up in a few episodes so I don't know if they really count. I enjoyed both TNG and DS9 for what they were.
                      That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
                        I personally think it makes perfect sense to go back to Kirk and Spock for the next Star Trek film/series because that's what everyone knows, and would in my opinion be the best way to bring in new viewers.
                        Very well said Browncoat. I find thw arguement for either side intriguing. There is a part of me that wants the franchise to just move forward and then there is an equal part of me that has no problem with the franchise exploring the happenings of that time in Starfleet history. You know what is going to happen< if this movie is a huge success, which I have feeling it might be, they are going to keep this current group while continuing to make Kirk/Spock era movies. Which again, might not be that bad of a thing.
                        Originally posted by Browncoat1984
                        As for DS9 being the best Trek - I thoroughly enjoyed DS9 but DS9 and TNG were completely different animals. On TNG, the characters were more perfect, had fewer flaws, while on DS9 nobody was perfect. Also on DS9 there was a much larger cast of recurring characters who had major roles on the series (Garak, Gul Dukat, Martok, etc.), while TNG only had a few - the only characters who were really strong recurring characters on TNG were the Obrien's and Q, there were other characters like Sela and the Duras sisters, but they only showed up in a few episodes so I don't know if they really count. I enjoyed both TNG and DS9 for what they were.
                        Again I agree. Both were different animals and both of which I really enjoyed. Sure my personal preference is for DS9 but TNG, VOY are both in my short list of all time favorite scifi shows.

Great takes Browncoat, I hope you check us out again for some always engaging Trek/Scifi talk.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                          Come on, guys! You know who I mean! Don't let the snippy SGA talk ruin the good will we normally have on this thread! What would Odo and Quark say?
                          LOL, look at brother nx playing peace keeper, you da man my friend.

I think Odo would have slapped brother USS Defiant upside his over grown head and Quark would have probably paid brothers J1 and USS Defiant to duke it out in one of the holosuites while selling tickets to the event (3 strips of Latinum), at a huge profit of course.
                          Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          I actually started to like Teyla in season four- she was very good in "Missing". Sadly it took Rachel Luttrell getting pregnant for the writers to give Teyla a storyline, and don't get me started on the overdone "special" baby thing. But at least Teyla had something to do last season.
                          LOL, yeah the whole special baby thing was rather perdictable as was a pregnant Teyla getting kipnapped. But also like you said Lady Trek, it endeared me to Teyla in a way that I hadn't before. First of all I really admire her for all the great work she did while pregnant, she didn't miss a beat all while looking stunning (pregnant woman do have a wonderful glow about them). As much as I thought Samantha somewhat bombed at leading Atlantis (partly her, partly the writers) I did enjoy season IV. Very well stated as usual Lady Trek.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

At least Teyla's doing something this season: worrying about her responsibilities to
                            Spoiler:
                            her son [NOT to the baby daddy, mind you]
                            vs saving the universe. Being able to handle herself both with her fists and
                            Spoiler:
                            computer systems
                            is a big plus, too.
                            Last edited by nx01a; 26 August 2008, 03:28 PM.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I think the franchise is scarad to go forward. The Alpha Quadrant is relativel stable. The Cardassians were near extinction and we helped the Romulans stop a coup. The Borg were supposly destroyed.It kind of hard for new enemies to show up. I just think the franchise will stay stagnet if they go back to Kirk.
                              LOL check it out
                              Spoiler:
                              I'm not a big fan of prequels. They should have gone ahead with DS9 or something entirely new set in the future
                              Originally posted by Jumper_One
                              I don't think they'll ever do that, simply because they're afraid people won'wouldn't like it, imo. after DS9 the whole power structure of the alpha and beta quadrant had been changed. the Dominion was beaten, the Cardassians too and who knows how much space they had left or what other repercussions they had to deal with as a result of allying themselves with the Founders. and finally the Federation alliance: the Klingons, the Romulans and the UFP had learnt to work together, sure only because of a common enemy. still I think everbody learnt from that experience (even the sneaky Romulans and the honorable Klingons)

that's why I can't see any ST (at least none in the not too distant future) exploring this. besides I really can't imagine a ST universe where the UFP, the Klingons and Romulans are kinda allies, that'd never work for me
                              I hear what your saying Jumper One but I think going back to TOS is bad idea. Maybe it has do with the fact that I never cared for TOS

thanks brother Fifth

s5 has been excellent so far. you should really check it out, especially eps like S&R, DV and The Shrine

I could not agree more. Brother J1 did not deserve the "ire" I threw his way yesterday. I totally let my emotions dictate my actions which is never a good thing, especially when arguing something. Again I apologize brother J1, brother Fifth and everyone else. I should have not attacked you for being passionate about what you believe. My bad!.
                              no need to apologize brother Defiant

I love Woolsey, sure he is cowtowing to Shep alot sooner than I wanted, but at least they are humanizing him, and it helps that he (Picardo) is such a great actor. I want to see Ronan without that mop on the top of his head.
                              that won't happen, at least not in s5. btw...
                              Spoiler:

Well I can't speak for Jumper One but I think it has to do with fan preferences. I always have and always will be a Gate fan first. We blindly defend our franchise just like I imagine if 2000 was the present and someone came in here and was saying why the Trek was mundane and predictable people like brother Fifth and Defiant would go on defending it because as shown many times they are die hard Trek fans
                              I wasn't blindly defending the franchise. brother Defiant mentioned the ratings and I presented some facts regarding SGA's recent numbers

I think Odo would have slapped brother USS Defiant upside his over grown head and Quark would have probably paid brothers J1 and USS Defiant to duke it out in one of the holosuites while selling tickets to the event (3 strips of Latinum), at a huge profit of course.
                              LOL
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

LOL, I would pay 5 strips of Latinum to see that. Don't mind brother USS Defiant brother J1. He and brother Fifth are both hot-blooded Italian/Sicilian. I have seen them both at there worst and best, they are equally wonderful and frigthening to witness.
                                Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                                that won't happen, at least not in s5. btw...
                                Spoiler:

Great shots brother J1. So maybe you or someone else can help me clear this up. Did Ronan shave his head or did he just cut it shorter like those pictures depict. I know from the 3 or 4 Atlantis episodes I have watched so far this season it is easy to tell he wearing a clued on wig, it just doesn't sit on his naturally like it did when it actually was attached to his head.

Comment

Working...
                                X