No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I envy you Krisz. All you can see in the US is VOY. DS9 is on 3 times at 2 am and TNG is on one night a week. Unlike many of you, I don't have Trek DVDs.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post

Oh nooooo. She was confuuuuused. Jadziah had her own moments of having a hard time dealing with being joined - and she was trained for it for years. Ezri wasn't and was never supposed to be joined, it's not surprising she had a very hard time dealing with it all. Plus, I thought it made a very good way of distinguishing between her and Jadziah - since she did have all of Jadziah's memories, they needed some very good reason for why Ezri sin't going to end up a Jadziah clone.
      you do make some good points, i wish they would of made her more confident like jadziah or the guy who stole the dax from jadzia instantly became more confident. it really didnt make sense, dax is arrogant and confident yet ezri is a scard little being.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
        Oh dear, SGA cancelled...I'm not really surprised to be honest. I never got into it that much and it always seemed to be struggling to find fresh ideas. It will be weird though not having any more Stargate in production, perhaps Stargate Universe might see the light of day at some point. I feel though it should be left for a couple of years maybe and then it may be better recieved as the concept is too far from the Stargate world we're familiar with and it could end up being a bit like the Stargate franchise's 'Voyager'!
        I kind of feel the same way Lady Kris. As much as I love Stargate the franchise, Atlantis never found its way into my heart like the original. With that being said I am bummed out, I was just starting to like season 5 and Woolsey.

It will be interesting to see how the end this season considering we probably won't get a true ending or resolution of the current storyline because they have already decided to make straight to DVD movie/episodes.

Has anybody heard anything or are they talking about a new Stargate straight to DVD movie/episode or any other good rumors or gossip swirling around at the Convention?. I can imagine this news put a real damper on the Convention festivities.
        The USS Defiant Rocks!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
          I love the show and especially its character development. There's a lot more of that in DS9 than in the other shows. There's also a lot less of the episode reboot stuff, where what happens in one ep has no effect on the next, which was particularly a problem with TOS.
          I couldn't agree more on both points Maneth. Both DS9's set of regular cast and recurring characters were off the charts great. I think it was a combination of less Starfleet, more alien and not being afraid to portray a character that has foibles or other idiosyncrasies that put them in a more realistic and "flawed" light. This made it easier for fans to relate and warm up to certain characters in a way we didn't get with other Trek series (plus IMHO the set of actors assembled on DS9 were the best, which always helps).

DS9 was also very good, like you mentioned, at not forgetting what happened in one episode then showing the opposite in a later episode (ie. "episode rebooting") I have probably rewatched DS9 from beginning to end 12+ times over the years (some individual episodes alot more), and I have written reviews for each one while taking notes on each episode. I specifically have looked for continuity errors, rebooting, and other mistakes in writing and production, thankfully I found very few.

I remember awhile back brother Fifth Race posted a list on this thread that had a breakdown of known continuity errors and production mistakes in all the various Trek series. By no surprise DS9 had the far fewest. And I'm sure to no one's surprise -TOS and TNG had by far the most (something like 4x the amount), ENT and VOY were in the middle.
          The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
            Yes it would brother Weyoun. I will do a multi-part question on the DS9 season III episode Visionary in the next "All Purpose Trek Quiz" I do in a few weeks.
            Sweet, maybe we could get brother USS Defiant to post any background or inside information on Visionary like he usually does with his episode discussion.

Comment

Well I'm in Season Three now and remembering how much I loved the Defiant and the way the show started to venture out more with that little guy.

Comment

The Defiant was the best thing that happened to the show right after the Dominion. The best part was that unlike the Ent D and Voyager it wasn't perfect. It was powerful but full of problems.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by s72450 View Post
                  Well I'm in Season Three now and remembering how much I loved the Defiant and the way the show started to venture out more with that little guy.
                  With the Dominion finally showing themselves and giving that very crpytic warning to Sisko and the Federation, it better get its butt out there and start patrolling.
                  Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  The Defiant was the best thing that happened to the show right after the Dominion. The best part was that unlike the Ent D and Voyager it wasn't perfect. It was powerful but full of problems.
                  I agree brother jelgate. Initially I thought they brought the USS Defiant into the show as a gimmick so some fringe DS9 fans might be drawn in to watching more with a Starship as a central piece. Well I couldn't have been more wrong!. - Sure the Defiant played a big role but it did not take over storylines with over-use or change the face of the show what so ever. As a matter of fact some of the best episodes involved the USS Defiant as a back drop, not the central focus.

I love how Adm. Ross gave Sisko a special dispensation to change the name of the Defiant Class Starship USS Sao Paulo they gave DS9 after the USS Defiant was destroyed to anything he wished. They made a good choice.
                  The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

I got a question .... Did the second USS Defiant which changed its names from the USS Sao Paulo have a cloaking device?. My memory is a little fuzzy but I don't seem to remember seeing the second USS Defiant ever using a cloak. Maybe it was destroyed when the ship was destroyed?.

Comment

I envy you Krisz. All you can see in the US is VOY. DS9 is on 3 times at 2 am and TNG is on one night a week. Unlike many of you, I don't have Trek DVDs.
                      I too am too cheap to have all of the trek dvds, although hubby has been looking over my stargate collections thinking he wants some trek.....

with SGA being cancelled I have a huge HOLE in my viewing of tv. I don't watch most commercial tv (documentaries, and other "nerd tv " type shows are about it) so the few shows I do watch I get attached to. I liked SGA, thought it had a lot of potential, but was disappointed over the last two seasons....they missed a lot of opportunities to make it more about the city. IMHO of course! So maybe I will invest in DS9 for myself! I'vegot to have something to watch on friday nights!

Comment

I hate SciFi, they are so stupid.

Comment

huh? Enterprise-D perfect? how so?

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
                          I hate SciFi, they are so stupid.
                          I assume you're talking about the cancellation of Atlantis? if so you should know that this was most likely MGM's decision

btw there's a new GW interview with Brad Wright and he mentions ST and DS9
                          **snip**

GW: I think the comparisons to Star Trek are increasing more and more as we've got multiple shows in the Stargate franchise now, and there is talk of "franchise exhaustion." The comparisons are being made to what happened to Star Trek after Enterprise, having to lay fallow for a while and having to get "reimagined" and "rebooted."

BW: Well, you could run down a whole list of reasons why Enterprise ... by the way, a [franchise] on its fifth series. There's the original, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise -- that's five. Well, you know ... we're on three! [Laughter]

GW: And they ran production I think for about 14 years, on those modern-era shows. So we're getting there in a hurry.

BW: You can't look back and look at The Next Generation at the beginning -- at the very, very beginning -- and think, "Wow! This is really good!" Think about it. I'm a huge Star Trek: The Next Generation fan. And if you look at some of the earlier episodes you would think, "Oh, how the hell is this going to continue this franchise going forward?" And then you get a guy like Michael Piller to come along, and he makes an episode like "Best of Both Worlds" and everyone goes, "Wow! This is great television!"

It was a major shift. It was a major shake-up. And then you get episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and "Cause and Effect," and suddenly people are interested again.

And the same with Deep Space Nine. You've got some great episodes in there, and some great writers with some growth. And so it just goes back to -- without criticizing any one aspect of Enterprise - if people were tuning in and watching it and loving it, then it would still be on the air. It has nothing to do generically with "tiredness."

**snip**
                          http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...ngs_...4.shtml
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Mechnanical speaking both Ent D and Voyager were perfect ships with almost no problems. The Defiant and Deep Space Nine were barely holding together and took them a season or two to get them working properly
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Mechnanical speaking both Ent D and Voyager were perfect ships with almost no problems. The Defiant and Deep Space Nine were barely holding together and took them a season or two to get them working properly
                              yeah but Sisko, Dax etc weren't living on the Defiant. the Enterprise D had to be a little bit more sophisticated to fulfill the needs of its crew
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

But look how messed up DS9 was in the early seasons. It was a piece junk technologically for awhile. Thats what made the show great. The setting wasn't as cooperative as the other Treks
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X