Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS9 Season III Episode #61 Prophet Motive

Background and Inside Information

The origins of the teleplay for this episode are to be found in Ira Steven Behr's early career. When he was trying to make it in Hollywood, he wrote a teleplay for the TV show Taxi, entitled "Uncle Sylvester", to try to demonstrate his writing abilities. The plot revolved around Sylvester, uncle to the main character Louie. Sylvester had built up a reputation for being a shameless womanizer and an altogether unpleasant individual, and he was Louie's hero. Louie was dying to meet him to impress him with his own womanizing abilities, but when Sylvester arrives he no longer enjoys womanizing, and now just wants to get back with his wife. Louie is heartbroken and becomes convinced that Sylvester has undergone some kind of deep psychological trauma. The teleplay was not purchased by the producers of Taxi. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

The origins of the plot line involving Bashir's nomination for the Carrington Award are to be found in real life, with this plot actually being something of an in-joke. During its seventh year, The Next Generation was nominated for Best Dramatic Series at the Emmy Awards. Nobody gave it the slightest chance to win, because generally speaking, science fiction shows didn't win awards like that. Everyone expected NYPD Blue to win. However, despite the unlikely event of a victory, some members of the TNG team became convinced that they were actually going to win. As it turned out, they didn't, but neither did NYPD Blue. Instead, the award went to the unexpected Picket Fences. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

William N. Stape, who concocted the TNG episode "Homeward", was an uncredited story source for this episode.

This is the first episode to be directed by Rene Auberjonois.

To recreate the same visual style for Quark's scenes in the wormhole as had been seen in the pilot episode, "Emissary", director Rene Auberjonois and director of photography Jonathan West went back to the original shooting method as developed by "Emissary" director David Carson and then director of photography, Marvin Rush. As had Rush in the pilot, West overexposed the images and used diffusion filters to create the dazzling white which seems to 'bleed' onto the actors' faces. However, while the white is the same as in "Emissary", there is a subtle difference to the rest of the wormhole footage. Visual Effects Coordinator David Takemura used two versions of every shot: a slightly out-of-focus version, and a clean version. He layered the clean version on top of the out-of-focus version to create an effect that is not quite out-of-focus, but is not quite focused correctly either. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

Referenced Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: #10 ("Greed is eternal")

For brief time, a new set of Rules of Acquisition replaces the old one, some of them are:
    1: If they want their money back give it to them.
    10: Greed is dead.
    21: Never place profit before friendship.
    22: Latinum tarnishes, but family is forever.
    23: Money can never replace dignity.
    285: A good deed is its own reward.

Bashir is the youngest of the candidates for the Carrington Prize of 2371. The others are April Wade, Senva, Henri Roget, and Ghee P'Trell.

This is the only episode where Maihar'du speaks. However, it is only when Maihar'du is a representation of a prophet.

This episode introduces the dartboard used by Bashir and O'Brien which would soon become a permanent fixture in Quark's. Originally, the producers wanted to use a pool table, but they were told that Voyager had the same plan. It was next suggested that they play cards, but that had already been done on The Next Generation. As such, darts was settled on as a game the two could play together and still engage in conversation. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

After the pilot episode "Emissary", this is only the second time we have seen the Wormhole Aliens/Prophets. They would become far more important throughout the sixth and seventh seasons.

This is the first episode where the Wormhole Aliens refer to Sisko as 'The Sisko'.

When the Wormhole Alien (in the form of Sisko) says that Zek was trying to find out who wins the game before the game begins, it is a reference to the pilot episode, "Emissary", where Sisko teaches the Aliens about linear time by using the example of a baseball game.
    The USS Defiant Rocks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

How terribly Nietzschean.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        How terribly Nietzschean.
        LOL, so true. Major kudo's for the Nietzschean and Andromeda references. I orginally wasn't a fan of the show but after brothers Fifth and USS Defiant basically forced me to watch it, I came around. Sans the 5th and final season (which wasn't as bad as alot of fans said it was), Andromeda was a pretty solid scifi series. I really grew to admire the crew and especially Captain Dylan Hunt. I still have nightmares about the Magog and some of those late season I and early season II episodes, very creepy stuff!.

Comment

At least they never made a 'Lwaxana and Quark get married' episode...

*shudder*

Looks for bucket. As she thinks of how Quark would approve of how Betazoid females present themselves at traditional weddings!

I really wish I hadn't thought of that!

It's good to see how many others like Ezri Dax. She's a fantastic character who grew on me as soon as she arrived on the scene. I was fascinated with how she would react with being faced by Jadzia's friends and colleagues and the exploration of every aspect of this made for riveting viewing. The interaction with Worf was especially poignant as she was the one he took his grief and anger at Jadzia's loss out on.

I liked the way she turned from the overwhelmed self doubting little girl into a self assured woman who learned from the experiences of the symbiont within her and realised she was a person in her own right, not what past experiences of the Dax symbiont dictated. It was this journey that made her an interesting character and I thought amazingly well developed for the short time we got to see her. A wonderful example of DS9's skill in character development here.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Who was it that said DS9 almost got an 8th season. I think it was the people I call the Trek Kings. (Fifth, Star, Defiant) I would had loved that so we could have seen Ezri. She was flawed character and those are always my favorite character. No wonder I like DS9 so much
            Flawed characters are a big reason that DS9 was so darn good. The writers were also not afraid to show flawed Starfleet characters compared to these cookie-cutter automatons that we saw on other Trek series. Great call brother jelgate! (look below for DS9 Season 8 info.)
            Originally posted by Starbase View Post
            There certainly was plans for a season 8 of DS9. As a matter of fact Paramount wanted another season but creative differences and the fact that Paramount's decision came late doomed the whole project. Brother Fifth and I found this out at a Trek convention in 1998. He can better explain the detail's of what eaxctly went down.
            Very true as you well know brother Base. We attended that Trek convention back in 2000 where Ronald D Moore talked about how Paramount came to him and the other writers half way through season 7 and asked if they could extend the Dominion War another season (both DS9 and VOY were doing well with ratings). By then the writers had long written and were already shooting the conclusion to DS9, so all the writers said no way to rewriting the end of the Dominion War. So Ronald D Moore went back to Paramount and purposed doing a season 8 where it start's 1 year after the end of the Dominion War and would mainly focus on post war Federation restructuring and exploring the Gamma Quadrant while meeting new races. The show still would have been based on Deep Space 9 itself with Kira taking over command of the station. Apparently Dr. Bashir, Quark, Ezri, Worf, Martok, Garak, Odo, Nog, Jake, Morn were all on board with coming back.

RDM also talked about a few different idea's for season 8 storylines, including .... Where a group of abandoned Jem'Hadar soldiers rebel against the Shape-Shifters and seek autonomy by asking for help from the Federation.... A new and very powerful race that tries to take-over the Gamma Quadrant after a huge power vacuum was left behind by the weakened Dominion forces.... He even talked about bringing Sisko back towards the end of the season 8 where he chooses to live a corporeal life now that Bajor is safe and sound. He then re-joins Starfleet and at the very end the series he takes his rightful place running the station with Kira at his side. All sound like great idea's to me.
            Last edited by the Fifth Race; 01 August 2008, 01:17 PM.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
              5) Odo - Intriguing. Great detective. Didn't use his shape shifting abilities as much as he could have, I would have liked to see him use a weapon at times, but i guess thats not his style. Dealt well with being all alone, and then learning of his race, and then fighting against them. Great relationship with Kira too. His best feature is how well he interacts with Quark.
              Some of the best and funniest moments from the first couple seasons involved Odo and Quark. It was also interesting to watch there relationship grow from pure hatred to mutual respect to down-right friends over the course of the series.

I think Odo wasn't necessarily ashamed of his shape-shifting abilities, but he definetly was aware that it made him stand out (Odo hated attention) and basically frightened people. So I do not blame him for keeping it to a minimum.

Great list brother MB.

Comment

Re: seaosn 8 - sounds liek at leasdt a part of it could have worked well in a movie - why did they never try a movie? they were still doing TNG movies when DS9 was done, weren't they?
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

The same reason they will never do a VOY movie. The mission of DS9 had been completed. TNG was a lot more open-ended that DS9 or VOY. Also TNG was the most popular of the modern Treks.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                    Flawed characters are a big reason that DS9 was so darn good. The writers were also not afraid to show flawed Starfleet characters compared to these cookie-cutter automatons that we saw on other Trek series. Great call brother jelgate! (look below for DS9 Season 8 info.)
                    Agreed!. DS9 is chalk full of flawed and down-right shady characters that you cannot help to like or even love or despise (ie. Kai Winn, DuKat, Gowron, Female ShapeShifter, Quark, Brunt, Weyoun, Damar, Sisko, Kira, Garak, Bashir, O'Brien, Worf, Martok ...etc... all flawed and all shown in a very dark light at one time or another, some alot more than others)

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    The same reason they will never do a VOY movie. The mission of DS9 had been completed. TNG was a lot more open-ended that DS9 or VOY. Also TNG was the most popular of the modern Treks.
                    Also Agreed!. DS9 ended beautifully with an air of nobility, you knew you had just watched something great. Now I would not have minded if a DS9 or VOY character (other than Worf) made it in to the Trek movie rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                      Very true as you well know brother Base. We attended that Trek convention back in 2000 where Ronald D Moore talked about how Paramount came to him and the other writers half way through season 7 and asked if they could extend the Dominion War another season (both DS9 and VOY were doing well with ratings). By then the writers had long written and were already shooting the conclusion to DS9, so all the writers said no way to rewriting the end of the Dominion War. So Ronald D Moore went back to Paramount and purposed doing a season 8 where it start's 1 year after the end of the Dominion War and would mainly focus on post war Federation restructuring and exploring the Gamma Quadrant while meeting new races. The show still would have been based on Deep Space 9 itself with Kira taking over command of the station. Apparently Dr. Bashir, Quark, Ezri, Worf, Martok, Garak, Odo, Nog, Jake, Morn were all on board with coming back.

RDM also talked about a few different idea's for season 8 storylines, including .... Where a group of abandoned Jem'Hadar soldiers rebel against the Shape-Shifters and seek autonomy by asking for help from the Federation.... A new and very powerful race that tries to take-over the Gamma Quadrant after a huge power vacuum was left behind by the weakened Dominion forces.... He even talked about bringing Sisko back towards the end of the season 8 where he chooses to live a corporeal life now that Bajor is safe and sound. He then re-joins Starfleet and at the very end the series he takes his rightful place running the station with Kira at his side. All sound like great idea's to me.
                      Now it all came flooding back into my aged brain. I do remember seeing and listening to RDM speak. He did a quick answer and question session where the very kewl inside information about a possible season 8 of DS9 came to light. Sure by then the series had already ended so it wasn't going to happen, but hearing the story about how they wanted to extend the Dominion War another season was very VERY kewl!.

And then of course he went into possible storylines he wanted in his version of a post Dominion War season 8. --
                      I love the idea about a group of Jem'Hadar that have beat there Ket'racel White addiction wanting to become a independant state with the help of the Federation. Can you imagine having the Jem'Hadar as a Federation ally, pretty sweet!.

I also like his idea of Kira running DS9 with Worf and Garak working in ops, Quark acting as ambassador (Morn owns Quarks), with Ezri and Bashir assuming there regular Starfleet duties.

I also like the idea of Sisko choosing to become corporeal and making a return at the end with him deciding to reunite with Jake and Kassidy.

With all that being said. I'm glad DS9 ended the way it did!.

Comment

LOL, so true. Major kudo's for the Nietzschean and Andromeda references. I orginally wasn't a fan of the show but after brothers Fifth and USS Defiant basically forced me to watch it, I came around.
                        I was referencing 'God is dead' moreso than Tyr, but I get what you mean. I enjoyed the first 1 1/2 seasons, crappy and reused CGI ad nauseum notwithstanding. Trek's Hewitt Wolfe had a vision, but it shifted to 'Hercules in Space' when they fired him. The 1st season finale is one of my fave cliffhangers along with Smallville's 1st season finale; it put everyone in jeopardy in impossible situations!
                        With all that being said. I'm glad DS9 ended the way it did!.
                        It sounds alot like the setup for B5's 5th season. Hit or miss, especially when you're trying to extend a story solely for commercial purposes. B5's 5th became B5's 1st, just like DS9's 8th might have became its 1st and 2nd. Not that those seasons were bad, but just not as good as the later seasons when everything came together. Like was said in B5 tongue in cheek, everyone loves to hear about the war and the explosions, but people don't think about the rebuilding process because it's boring.
                        Last edited by nx01a; 01 August 2008, 03:16 PM.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I was referencing 'God is dead' moreso than Tyr, but I get what you mean. I enjoyed the first 1 1/2 seasons, crappy and reused CGI ad nauseum notwithstanding. Trek's Hewitt Wolfe had a vision, but it shifted to 'Hercules in Space' when they fired him. The 1st season finale is one of my fave cliffhangers along with Smallville's 1st season finale; it put everyone in jeopardy in impossible situations!
                          "Hercules in Space" LOL. It is kind of hard watching Kevin Sorbo and not think Hercules. I liked the Captain Dylan Hunt character. Sure the character was rather cheesy but he was the kind of Captain that was hard to hate, besides who wouldn't want a Paradine as your Captain.

The season I finale and season II premieres were both respectively great episodes ( ..Its Hour Came Around at Last & The Widening Gyre), both episodes "creeped me out" big time, quite shocking!.

A little interesting trivia about the Season I finale --- The 2 episodes (Star-Crossed & It Makes a Lovely Light) that lead up to the the Season I finale were written specifically to be cheap to produce. They had no guest stars, no new sets, and no new CGI visuals or effects. Towards end of the first season, they had gone overbudget on several other episodes, and were running out of money. In order to have enough left over to do the season finale properly, they had to cut corners, and those 2 episodes were the result.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining DS9 actually ended. It was a good ending, and dind't drag too much - and, as nx01a said, has too much of a potential to become B5's fifth season - although, once they got the telepaths behind them and worked on the G'Kar-London storyline they had some wonderful episodes there. I was just curios because if they did consider a seaosn 8 - despite doing 7 that way anyway - it stands to reason they would have considered a movie...
                            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

It sounds alot like the setup for B5's 5th season. Hit or miss, especially when you're trying to extend a story solely for commercial purposes. B5's 5th became B5's 1st, just like DS9's 8th might have became its 1st and 2nd. Not that those seasons were bad, but just not as good as the later seasons when everything came together. Like was said in B5 tongue in cheek, everyone loves to hear about the war and the explosions, but people don't think about the rebuilding process because it's boring.
                              Personally I thought DS9 and B5 did a fantastic job with creating very interesting storylines that didn't involve there respective wars (Dominion War, Shadow War & Earth Conflict). B5's season 5 was pretty awful. I thought they should have extended the whole Earth vs. the Babylon 5 station storyline another season.
                              Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                              Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining DS9 actually ended. It was a good ending, and didnt drag too much - and, as nx01a said, has too much of a potential to become B5's fifth season - although, once they got the telepaths behind them and worked on the G'Kar-London storyline they had some wonderful episodes there. I was just curios because if they did consider a seaosn 8 - despite doing 7 that way anyway - it stands to reason they would have considered a movie...
                              As much as I would have loved an eighth season of DS9, I am also very happy and satisfied with the way it did end.

I'm on the fence with whether I would have preferred Paramount's vision of S8 where the Dominion War carry's on for 1 more season. Or the version RDM and the other writers wanted with the storyline picking up 1 year after the end of the Dominion War. -- Both versions potentially could have been great.

There was also talk about doing an all DS9 movie that involved the Gamma Quadrant. I will look in my old convention notes to see if I can find exactly what the idea's were for an all DS9 movie.

I guess I failed to mention that there was plenty of talk about doing a DS9 Trek movie. Paramount talked about doing a cross-over movie where characters from DS9 and VOY would join characters from TNG for an unstated storyline.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I think Parmount is a little to afraid to continue the Trek story after the events of DS9 and Nemesis. A lot of the aliens we had conflict with are now our allies and the Alpha Quadrant is a lot more stable
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X