Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkstar
    ah yes as posted up the screen its nice to be appreciated as a good contributer to this DS9 superior thread along with all the others, i love this thread and its my fave at the moment and has been for about a month, others on the gen discussion are all copies of other threads and question threads, i like discussion so i came here and seeing that you were all in need of another member to the thread to join in, i invited myself along and can't keep away each day lol
    I am with you there, this by far is my favorite GW thread. Not because of the great subject we have to discuss (DS9) but because of the great and smart scifi brethern that frequent this thread, you are definetly one of them brother Darkstar. As much as I love all scifi and especially SG and SGA. Star Trek is still king of all scifi shows and movies!.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
      I am with you there, this by far is my favorite GW thread. Not because of the great subject we have to discuss (DS9) but because of the great and smart scifi brethren that frequent this thread, you are definitely one of them brother Darkstar. As much as I love all scifi and especially SG and SGA. Star Trek is still king of all scifi shows and movies!.
      This is also my favorite GW thread, not because I started it but because DS9 is such a deep and great show to discuss!. I am so glad to see so many others that enjoyed and still enjoy DS9. This thread is proof that DS9 fans are creme of the crop when it comes to Star Trek and scifi in general.

I am starting season 4 episode discussion this weekend so we can onto the best seasons (5 - 7)
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
        This is also my favorite GW thread, not because I started it but because DS9 is such a deep and great show to discuss!. I am so glad to see so many others that enjoyed and still enjoy DS9. This thread is proof that DS9 fans are creme of the crop when it comes to Star Trek and scifi in general.

I am starting season 4 episode discussion this weekend so we can onto the best seasons (5 - 7)
        what is the season 4 discussion, is it on GW or elsewhere?
        For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

what is the season 4 discussion, is it on GW or elsewhere?
          I started DS9 episode discussion season by season starting with season I about two months ago right here on this thread brother Darkstar. We had just gone through season III about 2 weeks ago but got sidetracked by all the Hirogen crossover to DS9 and various other intriguing DS9 stuff

So in the next few days I will list my personal favorites for the first half of season IV with a brief description of what happened in the episode to help you better remember it. Please feel free to comment or add favorites to the list.

I love all the seasons of DS9 but IMHO seasons 5 - 7 with the whole Dominion war arc were the best scifi ever!.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
            Ok, I get that everyone that graduates Starfleet academy is either an officer or ranked like Chief O'Brien was. We know O'Brien graduated Starfleet academy because he got his engineering post because of it and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't O'Brien take a postion at Starfleet as an Engineering professor when DS9 ended?.

But are there any grunt's (ground troops) that all there trained for is combat that are considered Starfleet?. Did we see them in the episode 'The Siege of AR-558' or were they all officers as well?.
            Well, in the episode yourself and Fifth were talking about, "Nor the Battle to the Strong", the injured man Jake stumbled upon looked like a ground soldier. He never made it clear (maybe you can confirm this for me) that he was an officer, but talked about his squad commander and his team being wiped out.

The picture here shows his uniform looked completely different to regular Starfleet uniforms. It looks as though the tunic he's wearing is some kind of body armour. It certainly looked as if that guy was trained purely as a ground soldier. His demeanour towards Jake reminded me of the wordplay between squaddies (G.I's) in war movies.

It could be that Starfleet trains out and out ground soldiers only at times of war, or there are already troops in reserve in case of such actions.

In "The Siege of AR-558", there was a mixture of uniforms. Vargas and the big guy that carried Nog were both grunts.
            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I started DS9 episode discussion season by season starting with season I about two months ago right here on this thread brother Darkstar. We had just gone through season III about 2 weeks ago but got sidetracked by all the Hirogen crossover to DS9 and various other intriguing DS9 stuff

So in the next few days I will list my personal favorites for the first half of season IV with a brief description of what happened in the episode to help you better remember it. Please feel free to comment or add favorites to the list.

I love all the seasons of DS9 but IMHO seasons 5 - 7 with the whole Dominion war arc were the best scifi ever!.
              i sure will discuss the season IV with you bother, lol, i take it your going to describe each episode one by one, sounds cool, i rekon this thread should be sticky at the top of the page, thats what usually happen to good threads, but with so many people posting here i will never fall off the screen so i guess no point but it should be the first place fans come for DS9
              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Hey all, I'm slowly spreading out to various sub-forums of Gateworld.. and found this! I wish I had been here earlier as DS9 is my favorite of all ST series, though my favorite character is McCoy.. follow by Bashir.

One of the reasons I love DS9 was the whole War arc; something the other series lacked was an arc that spans several seasons. I loved the continuity and the fact that their *political* arc managed to keep me riveted for so many years (and no big reset button at the end of an episode). While I can't (and am not here to) compare DS9 to SG1, I think one quality SG1 missed was an interesting political arc. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are several -the Russians, Free Jaffa Nation, now tentatively China- but they seem trivial when compared to what DS9 had accomplished by the series' end (Okay, one comparasion.. I promise). The one political arc SG1 can claim to have on a consistent basis now is the Jaffa, and it literally bore me to tears and I always skip it when rewatching an episode. Maybe the previous Jaffa stories turned me off to anything Jaffa related, I don't know.. but I feel they never even approach the scale of what DS9 had. The Russian plots in the beginning WAS good, but that sort of tapered off.. and it was ever for only a few episodes anyway...

Anyway, I haven't read everything in this thread, so I'll continue to lurk a bit before joining in on any ongoing discussion as I don't want to repeat what was stated already.. though I think I might have done that with the above politcal arc rant.. ahem. So yeah, I'll be around! And I will definitely join in on any episode by episode discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                  Hey all, I'm slowly spreading out to various sub-forums of Gateworld.. and found this! I wish I had been here earlier as DS9 is my favorite of all ST series, though my favorite character is McCoy.. follow by Bashir.

One of the reasons I love DS9 was the whole War arc; something the other series lacked was an arc that spans several seasons. I loved the continuity and the fact that their *political* arc managed to keep me riveted for so many years (and no big reset button at the end of an episode). While I can't (and am not here to) compare DS9 to SG1, I think one quality SG1 missed was an interesting political arc. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are several -the Russians, Free Jaffa Nation, now tentatively China- but they seem trivial when compared to what DS9 had accomplished by the series' end (Okay, one comparasion.. I promise). The one political arc SG1 can claim to have on a consistent basis now is the Jaffa, and it literally bore me to tears and I always skip it when rewatching an episode. Maybe the previous Jaffa stories turned me off to anything Jaffa related, I don't know.. but I feel they never even approach the scale of what DS9 had. The Russian plots in the beginning WAS good, but that sort of tapered off.. and it was ever for only a few episodes anyway...

Anyway, I haven't read everything in this thread, so I'll continue to lurk a bit before joining in on any ongoing discussion as I don't want to repeat what was stated already.. though I think I might have done that with the above politcal arc rant.. ahem. So yeah, I'll be around! And I will definitely join in on any episode by episode discussion!
                  great another member of DS9 superior, we welcome you here and please feel free to join in on anything, so you don't post anything we have recently covered say in the last month i'll give you a list, that way we can always come back to these topics at a later date if needed:

1] Breen- Slightly, i guess not much to cover
                  2] Hirogen- yes you ask hirogen in DS9 but apparently is could have happened!!
                  3] Dominion- in varying degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                    The picture here shows his uniform looked completely different to regular Starfleet uniforms. It looks as though the tunic he's wearing is some kind of body armour. It certainly looked as if that guy was trained purely as a ground soldier. His demeanour towards Jake reminded me of the wordplay between squaddies (G.I's) in war movies.

It could be that Starfleet trains out and out ground soldiers only at times of war, or there are already troops in reserve in case of such actions.
                    His uniform does look more like something a soldier would wear, although it could be because of the particular climate and terrain of the planet he was fighting on. And you are right brother MF that guys demeanor was that of a warrior or ground soldier, but again that could be because of the circumstance like on AR-558 where the personnel have been battered for so long they were all gun shy and or grizzled looking.

Great pull-up of that photo from the episode 'Nor the Battle to the Strong' MF!.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

i sure will discuss the season IV with you bother, lol, i take it your going to describe each episode one by one, sounds cool, i rekon this thread should be sticky at the top of the page, thats what usually happen to good threads, but with so many people posting here i will never fall off the screen so i guess no point but it should be the first place fans come for DS9
                      I won't do all the episodes till we get to seasons 5, 6 and 7. I will hand pick what I consider my favorites which anyone can add, comment or disagree about.

Weather or not this is made a sticky (which it deserves and would be sweet) this thread will not die anytime soon my friend!
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I won't do all the episodes till we get to seasons 5, 6 and 7. I will hand pick what I consider my favorites which anyone can add, comment or disagree about.

Weather or not this is made a sticky (which it deserves and would be sweet) this thread will not die anytime soon my friend!
                        ok then i will wait like a child waiting for xmas morning.

P.S this is my 1000th post Horay!!!!!!!!!! i made it

Comment

ok then i will wait like a child waiting for xmas morning.

P.S this is my 1000th post Horay!!!!!!!!!! i made it
                          Congrats brother Darkstar!, I will post up season IV favorites this weekend.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily

Welcome to the DS9 superior thread nyxlily!, you are in the place you need to be. We get into to intricate details of the best damn scifi series ever here. From theories to favorite characters to story arc's.

I agree with you in that the political back stories on DS9 to the writing not being afraid to delve into a much darker side of the ST universe seen before made DS9 a cut above. Not to mention the best damn characters on any TV series (scifi or not).

^5 to your McCoy and Bashir choices as favorite ST characters. McCoy and Scotty were my favorites from TOS, and Bashir ranks in my top 5 on DS9.

We did favorite characters of DS9 on here a few months back. Please list your favorite top 5 or 10 with a brief explanation why. I had Garek as my #1 fav with Sisko, Martok, Bashir and Odo rounding out my top 5.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

Boy, it's been a while since I had to think about top choices from Star Trek.. but this should be fairly easy.

1. Bashir - Intelligent, selfless (although they ALL are.. actually, were there ever any 'good' starfleet officer who wasn't? <g>), caring (he's a doctor after all..), and a VERY strong sense of moral. Plus he got that deep, dark secret past! (Cliche # 1)

2. Garek - Very mysterious (cliche #2 ), I loved the fact that one never know when he was telling the truth.. there were SO MUCH to his background we never got to explore. I was so surprised when the person he confronted in that one episode turned out to be his father. And he had such a common phobia that it made the character easier to relate to, despite the fact he was so alien (in more than the physical sense). We never knew where his loyalty laid.

3. O'Brien - Dedicated, duty-bound, loyal. He and Bashir had a great sense of comic timing (hey, I like men who has a sense of humor!) Plus the actor was exceptionally talented, all his scenes were great and make the ST universe more believable to me.

4. Kira - Wonderful display of a woman's leadership ability. She could definitely hold her own. A LOT of character development over the years. It actually took how many seasons before we saw the softer side to the character? I loved that, they took things slow and make believable character growth!

5. Quark/Odo - I couldn't separate them. One of the best 'relationship' on the show. And I don't mean a 'ship' ship.. or even a normal friendship, but they respected one another in the end. I loved how they managed to antagonize each other within 2 seconds of screen time. Right up there next to the McCoy/Spock thing.

Well, speaking of relationships, actually the ONE ship that doesn't annoy the heck out of me out of ANY TV show was Odo/Kira. It grew so slowly and carefully that (I have to use the word again) it was believable. I can't praise the writers of DS9 enough. Everything they wrote had a point, a meaning, a foreshadowing. They seem to had laid everything out so meticulously, as if they already had all 7 seasons in mind when they wrote the pilot. The only other show I can think of like it was B5.. and I loved seasons 1-4 but hated season 5. Might be because Ivonnova was no longer part of the crew.. but I digress.

Anyway, that's my fav 5..

Oh, and I have to add: I hate hate hate the Sam/Jack relationship. Just to get it out in the open...

Comment

ah finally got done seeing what you leave behind. Excellent 2 parter
                                sigpic
                                Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Working...
                                X