Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
    You are dead-on right about there always being the battle wary veteran, the poor guy on the edge of insanity and some officer thrown into a leadership role because the CO was killed. TPTB of DS9 definitely made a stand out episode in 'The Siege of AR-558'. That is one of the most emotional episodes and like I said before it showed a side of Starfleet that wasn't warm and fuzzy. That is truly one of the things that makes DS9 stand out over the other ST series, DS9 wasn't afraid to dive into dark and controversial subject matter, and boy did that formula work!.
    Not only that, in DS9 we saw ground troops for the first time in Star Trek. There was another episode (the name escapes me atm) where Jake is stranded and he befriends a soldier whose squad had been wiped out.

It was always a peeve of mine that for a 'military' organisation like Starfleet, we never saw any 'ground-pounders'. The only 'troops' were the infamous 'red-shirts' in TOS, and the gold suited security personnel in TNG, DS9 and VOY. Hmm, well I suppose ST: Enterprise does count with the M.A.C.O.S special forces unit. But is Enterprise 'official' canon?

This thread is alive and well and now we are rated 5***** stars! thanx to all of you!.
    Yep, I saw the 5 *****s as well
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
      well im not one to toot my own horn........but thanks im glad to help getting the thread rated in such a small space of time.
      Toot that horn my friend , you are one of the ST icons in the forum and on this thread along with MissterFreeman, Anubis69, Starbase, HirogenGater, Wolf Eier, Kmiller, McKaychick, Seastallion, Kliggins, Mathias2.0...etc...

its weird almost we seem to be covering things in DS9 one thing at a time, first the romulans, next up a slight deviation into Hirogen territory, then on to ferengi......where does it all end.....answer never with any hope
      Trust me it won't end anytime soon!, brother Starbase (who is a close personal friend of mine) and I alone can talk about Star Trek (especially DS9) forever. It's easy when you have such great subject matter .

Plus with all the great knowledge of all of you guys and gals, It will stay strong for along time. I just LOVE all the takes and theories that are talked about and brought up here. We are a smart and savvy group!.

so i wonder what was behind the refrigeration suit of the breen, obviously a braver man that weyoun of course but for a species who are supposed to live on an ice planet i have a radical theory, the Andorians were from an ice world but they never wore cold attire, could it be the 24th century Anaer????

all i know for sure is taking a page of advice from the romulans book of never turning your back on the breen could have been the difference between the federation loosing the war yikes!!!
      The Breen are a strange group, they started out as an ally in season 5 when the Breen prisoner helped Bashir, Worf, Martok and Garek escape the Jem Ha'dar asteroid prison getting himself killed in the process. Then the next we hear about them they have joined the Dominion to fight in the war and were under the assumption that Earth was theres after the fall of the Federation.

I know the Breen were mentioned on TNG and talked about by either Data and Picard or both. Worf and Jadzia also talked about whats under those suit's and even think Sisko talked about there planet. I cannot remember which of those conversations talked about how the Breen planet is not actually a frozen wasteland and the reason for the suit's was unclear?.
      Last edited by the Fifth Race; 04 April 2006, 09:15 AM.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
        Not only that, in DS9 we saw ground troops for the first time in Star Trek.
        Exactly, good call MF!

Originally posted by missster.freeman
        It was always a peeve of mine that for a 'military' organisation like Starfleet, we never saw any 'ground-pounders'. The only 'troops' were the infamous 'red-shirts' in TOS, and the gold suited security personnel in TNG, DS9 and VOY. Hmm, well I suppose ST: Enterprise does count with the M.A.C.O.S special forces unit. But is Enterprise 'official' canon?
        It has always been an interesting topic between ST fans, but in the Federation are there any grunts or NCO's (non commissioned officers) so to speak. I was under the assumption that to get into Starfleet you have become an officer by graduating Starfleet academy?.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Yeah, i remember that as well. I think it was Weyoun who said that they actually lived on a hospitable planet. (from memory alpha) Makes them much more mysterious if that is the case. But on the other hand, every other person in Trek has mentioned how cold the Breen home planet is, so.... who do we believe?

Btw.... guess what song i'm listening to right now? DS9 Theme song!! Beast. God bless the Internet.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
            Yeah, i remember that as well. I think it was Weyoun who said that they actually lived on a hospitable planet. (from memory alpha) Makes them much more mysterious if that is the case. But on the other hand, every other person in Trek has mentioned how cold the Breen home planet is, so.... who do we believe?
            Good question, I have wondered about that myself.

Comment

Btw.... guess what song i'm listening to right now? DS9 Theme song!! Beast. God bless the Internet.
              Where did you find the tune? Do you have a linky?

You know the bit at the beginning, where the camera is passing through the tail of the comet? Well, the tingling sound you hear is really the hair on the back of my neck standing up.

Comment

The Changing Face of Evil was on today.
                Another remarkable episode.

Comment

Not only that, in DS9 we saw ground troops for the first time in Star Trek. There was another episode (the name escapes me atm) where Jake is stranded and he befriends a soldier whose squad had been wiped out.
                  I believe that episode was called '...Nor the Battle to the Strong' from season 5 where Jake and Bashir are diverted to a planet under siege by the Klingons to lend medical help. Jake is really concerned because the Klingons are very close and have knocked out the reactor powering the station. The injured are left dying with no power so Bashir and Jake make a dash back to the runabout to retrieve a portable generator when they are attacked and seperated. Jake wanders aimlessly till he meets an injured veteran Federation soldier dying from his wounds. A truly great stand alone episode!, not only was Jake great but Bashir was also fantastic!. After fretting with having to tell Sisko that Jake was killed under his watch, the look of relief on Bashirs face when he realizes that Jake is alive after being seperated when they were attacked is priceless!.

Like brother Fifth Race said, were there any NCO's in the Federation or Starfleet, or were they all officers?. I'm with you Fifth I was always under assumption that you had to graduate Starfleet academy and become an officer to be in Starfleet.

Originally posted by Misster.Freeman
                  Yep, I saw the 5 *****s as well
                  ^5 to everyone on this great thread for the 5 star rating!, this thread deserves it and reflects on everyone that posts on it. This thread is full of smart and scifi savy people.

Comment

Where did you find the tune? Do you have a linky?

You know the bit at the beginning, where the camera is passing through the tail of the comet? Well, the tingling sound you hear is really the hair on the back of my neck standing up.
                    Why, now that you mention it, yes i do!

You can also get the Voyager one too. TNG's in there as well, but it's a crappy midi one.

Just scroll down and there's a bit that says "Click here to download". Easy like Sunday morning. and sunday morning is easy!

(Pardon my lack of musical terms) I love that bit in the the tune near the end when it bursts back in with the main tuney bit louder and in the actual clip it was the two strobing lights just out of synch then the Defiant takes off... I love the part. Never fast-forwarded once! Like i said, pardon the musical ineptitude, but hopefully someone followed what the frack i was talking about...

EDIT: Btw, I meant to say earlier on when i wrote this post: Cheers for all the green. You guys and gals (i'm not gonna make that mistake again!) are all legends!
                    Last edited by Anubis69; 05 April 2006, 03:47 PM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
                      I believe that episode was called '...Nor the Battle to the Strong' from season 5 where Jake and Bashir are diverted to a planet under siege by the Klingons to lend medical help. Jake is really concerned because the Klingons are very close and have knocked out the reactor powering the station. The injured are left dying with no power so Bashir and Jake make a dash back to the runabout to retrieve a portable generator when they are attacked and seperated. Jake wanders aimlessly till he meets an injured veteran Federation soldier dying from his wounds. A truly great stand alone episode!, not only was Jake great but Bashir was also fantastic!. After fretting with having to tell Sisko that Jake was killed under his watch, the look of relief on Bashirs face when he realizes that Jake is alive after being seperated when they were attacked is priceless!. .
                      That is the episode from season 5 brother Base and it is a great one!. Bashir was very good in this stand alone. Bashir did feel responsible for Jake missing and presumed dead and was not looking forward to facing Sisko with the news. Jake did a lot of growing up in that episode.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Why, now that you mention it, yes i do!

You can also get the Voyager one too. TNG's in there as well, but it's a crappy midi one.

Just scroll down and there's a bit that says "Click here to download". Easy like Sunday morning. and sunday morning is easy!

(Pardon my lack of musical terms) I love that bit in the the tune near the end when it bursts back in with the main tuney bit louder and in the actual clip it was the two strobing lights just out of synch then the Defiant takes off... I love the part. Never fast-forwarded once! Like i said, pardon the musical ineptitude, but hopefully someone followed what the frack i was talking about...
                        Thank ye very much for the links. I can't breen green ye again until I spread it around.

I couldn't explain in technical terms either, but I know what bit you're on about. The strobing lights are two guys welding on the upper pylon.

When the Defiant undocks, there's a crash of the drums and the horns pick up speed. There's also a regular low-end BOOM, and the brilliant long-wind of the horns at the end. -- Missster.Freeman. Pretentious music critic. ROFL

Comment

trekkies get green!
                          sigpic
                          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
                            Like brother Fifth Race said, were there any NCO's in the Federation or Starfleet, or were they all officers?. I'm with you Fifth I was always under assumption that you had to graduate Starfleet academy and become an officer to be in Starfleet.
                            Yep, Chief O'Brien is an NCO. His official rank is Chief Petty Officer, equivalent to an army Staff Sergeant (I think). The Starfleet ranking system mirrors Earth's Navy, possibly the US Navy.

I was having a look at a list of DS9's personnel. It seems that even the lowly rank of Crewman IS classed as starfleet personnel, subordinate to the Petty Officer. Ah, I've just checked Memory Alpha. It seems that NCOs are part of an 'enlisted' section of Starfleet, who sign up directly to a ship or posting, and receive only basic training.

You both are spot on, Starbase and Fifth. Starfleet Academy is for the officer class, where if successful, the cadet will graduate after completing the four year course.

Comment

ah yes as posted up the screen its nice to be appreciated as a good contributer to this DS9 superior thread along with all the others, i love this thread and its my fave at the moment and has been for about a month, others on the gen discussion are all copies of other threads and question threads, i like discussion so i came here and seeing that you were all in need of another member to the thread to join in, i invited myself along and can't keep away each day lol
                              For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Yep, Chief O'Brien is an NCO. His official rank is Chief Petty Officer, equivalent to an army Staff Sergeant (I think). The Starfleet ranking system mirrors Earth's Navy, possibly the US Navy.

I was having a look at a list of DS9's personnel. It seems that even the lowly rank of Crewman IS classed as starfleet personnel, subordinate to the Petty Officer. Ah, I've just checked Memory Alpha. It seems that NCOs are part of an 'enlisted' section of Starfleet, who sign up directly to a ship or posting, and receive only basic training.

You both are spot on, Starbase and Fifth. Starfleet Academy is for the officer class, where if successful, the cadet will graduate after completing the four year course.
                                Ok, I get that everyone that graduates Starfleet academy is either an officer or ranked like Chief O'Brien was. We know O'Brien graduated Starfleet academy because he got his engineering post because of it and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't O'Brien take a postion at Starfleet as an Engineering professor when DS9 ended?.

But are there any grunt's (ground troops) that all there trained for is combat that are considered Starfleet?. Did we see them in the episode 'The Siege of AR-558' or were they all officers as well?.

Comment

Working...
                                X