Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
    I love that idea brother Fifth, especially with the Trek movies.

Has anyone else pre-ordered (or plans to rent) the new Stargate movie The Ark of Truth that is coming out on DVD next week?. I'm looking forward to it, especially since I have avoided all spoilers about it.
    I'm picking it up on Wednesday along with the new "Serenity: Better Days" comic.....two favourites back in one day.

And I got spoiled by some moron who decided to write the ending in a completely unrelated Atlantis thread without spoiler tags and then said that it's the responsibility of anyone who didn't know already and didn't want to be spoiled, to download the incomplete version and watch it for themselves..... The stupidity of some of the people around here is astonishing. And (sort of related) I wish the Stargate folks would do a better job at keeping a lid on spoilers. Way too much gets out that the majority of fans don't want to know ahead of time but it still gets around.....Though the leaking of this movie is definitely a different scenario.

Were things ever like this when DS9 originally aired? Obviously internet fandom would have been pretty new and those involved would be the hard core fans some of whom might want every plot point in advance, but I can't imagine that the same kind of in-depth info would be floating around as it seems to do now for almost everything.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      I'm picking it up on Wednesday along with the new "Serenity: Better Days" comic.....two favourites back in one day.
      Sweet!, I pre-ordered it online along with Rob & Big's DVD Box Set (yes, I am a fan of Rob & Big). So I probably won't probably won't get my copy of The Ark of Truth until Friday next week.
      Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
      And I got spoiled by some moron who decided to write the ending in a completely unrelated Atlantis thread without spoiler tags and then said that it's the responsibility of anyone who didn't know already and didn't want to be spoiled, to download the incomplete version and watch it for themselves..... The stupidity of some of the people around here is astonishing.
      This type of thing has happened to me as well Trek_Girl. I was on a thread about Atlantis and got tipped off to how Stargate season 9 ended. Ever since then I have been very careful about what I read on certain threads.
      Were things ever like this when DS9 originally aired? Obviously internet fandom would have been pretty new and those involved would be the hard core fans some of whom might want every plot point in advance, but I can't imagine that the same kind of in-depth info would be floating around as it seems to do now for almost everything.....
      The Internet was just starting to get huge when DS9 first aired. By the time DS9 ended in 1999 there were literally hundreds if not thousands of Trek fan sites.

I was actually one of the few who was writing spoilers for upcoming DS9 and VOY episodes. Let me explain ..... My father was a big electronics nerd (like myself) and we had one of those big Satelite Dishes (not like the mini-dishes they have today) all through the 1980's and 1990's. They used to have what they called "Back-Haul satelites and channels" where you could actually search through all these obscure satelites and pirate up-links that networks were downloading to there affiliates. So I would get a block of let's say 4 or 5 TNG, DS9 and VOY episodes weeks in advance of when they would be aired nationally. Talk about cool!, I had access to programming that NO one else had. I remember brother Fifth Race and Starbase used wait anxiously to borrow Video Tapes I made of those episodes.
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

I love that idea brother Fifth, especially with the Trek movies.

Has anyone else pre-ordered (or plans to rent) the new Stargate movie The Ark of Truth that is coming out on DVD next week?. I'm looking forward to it, especially since I have avoided all spoilers about it.
        I pre-ordered it months ago Also, every time someone mentions a movie or episode I haven't seen yet, I read the following few sentences very slowly to avoid spoilers

I was actually one of the few who was writing spoilers for upcoming DS9 and VOY episodes. Let me explain ..... My father was a big electronics nerd (like myself) and we had one of those big Satelite Dishes (not like the mini-dishes they have today) all through the 1980's and 1990's. They used to have what they called "Back-Haul satelites and channels" where you could actually search through all these obscure satelites and pirate up-links that networks were downloading to there affiliates. So I would get a block of let's say 4 or 5 TNG, DS9 and VOY episodes weeks in advance of when they would be aired nationally. Talk about cool!, I had access to programming that NO one else had. I remember brother Fifth Race and Starbase used wait anxiously to borrow Video Tapes I made of those episodes.
        That...is...waaaay cooler than pirating on the internet! Just being able to say "I intercepted a satellite uplink"

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
        The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Thats only because I was absent. (I'm just teasing him.)
          Well I bet I'll beat you this week too, I've been watching Star Trek, playing WoW, and eating shrimp ramen, so bring it on.

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
            That...is...waaaay cooler than pirating on the internet! Just being able to say "I intercepted a satellite uplink"
            No kidding, that would have been pretty sweet.

Comment

WOW that must've been awesome!!!!!!!!

IDK if any of you check out the Farscape section but Celsius has a neat little tournament going over there. basically everybody votes for their favorite eps from each season. why am I telling you this? well I thought it's a cool game and I was wondering if anybody would be interested in voting for our favorite eps from every season of DS9?
              sigpic
              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
                No kidding, that would have been pretty sweet.
                Very sweet indeed!.

I used to also intercept Raw Satelite Feeds where I would be watching a ballgame commercial free, but when it was time for a commercial, the satelite feed stayed with the raw feed at the venue. - You would hear all kinds of rude, crude and sometimes funny comments from the game announcers who had no idea someone like me was listening. We would also see horny cameramen who would zoom in on women with big boobs when they thought no one else was watching. These were all regular occurances.

I can remember one case in particular where Geraldo Rivera was being interviewed for some kind of national broadcast that was to be shown at a later time. In-between breaks Geraldo was'nt satisfied with his make-up, the way his lapel micro-phone fit, he didn't like the way the lighting was in the studio ...etc... - There was one poor woman who was an assistant that couldn't quite get his micro-phone in the right postion so he layed in to her by calling her every bad word under the sun including plenty of F-Bombs. He had her in tears while everyone working in the studio stood there in stunned silence. I lost all respect for Geraldo that day, what a prick!.
                The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Very sweet indeed!.

I used to also intercept Raw Satelite Feeds where I would be watching a ballgame commercial free, but when it was time for a commercial, the satelite feed stayed with the raw feed at the venue. - You would hear all kinds of rude, crude and sometimes funny comments from the game announcers who had no idea someone like me was listening. We would also see horny cameramen who would zoom in on women with big boobs when they thought no one else was watching. These were all regular occurances.

I can remember one case in particular where Geraldo Rivera was being interviewed for some kind of national broadcast that was to be shown at a later time. In-between breaks Geraldo was'nt satisfied with his make-up, the way his lapel micro-phone fit, he didn't like the way the lighting was in the studio ...etc... - There was one poor woman who was an assistant that couldn't quite get his micro-phone in the right postion so he layed in to her by calling her every bad word under the sun including plenty of F-Bombs. He had her in tears while everyone working in the studio stood there in stunned silence. I lost all respect for Geraldo that day, what a prick!.
                  Wow! I have no idea who Geraldo Rivera is, but that's horrible. You'd think people would pick up the sense not to do stupid things when there's a camera about, even if you think no one's watching.....

But pretty sweet to see what goes on behind the scenes.

Comment

Wow! I have no idea who Geraldo Rivera is, but that's horrible. You'd think people would pick up the sense not to do stupid things when there's a camera about, even if you think no one's watching.....
                    He's a investigator journalist who rose to National (American) popularity in 1980's. He does good work and is always interesting, but he is also a pompous jerk.

But pretty sweet to see what goes on behind the scenes.
                    I would literally spend hours searching and watching this kind of Raw Satelite Feeds and being fascinated the whole time. I wish I would have saved some of the Video tapes I made, a lot of them would be hugely popular on YouTube today.
                    The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Very sweet indeed!.

When I get a time machine I'm so going back to the 80's

Now that's real behind-the-scenes!

He's a investigator journalist who rose to National (American) popularity in 1980's. He does good work and is always interesting, but he is also a pompous jerk.

I would literally spend hours searching and watching this kind of Raw Satelite Feeds and being fascinated the whole time. I wish I would have saved some of the Video tapes I made, a lot of them would be hugely popular on YouTube today.
                      As do I.

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                      WOW that must've been awesome!!!!!!!!

IDK if any of you check out the Farscape section but Celsius has a neat little tournament going over there. basically everybody votes for their favorite eps from each season. why am I telling you this? well I thought it's a cool game and I was wondering if anybody would be interested in voting for our favorite eps from every season of DS9?
                      Yeah, I've been active in the season 3 tournament. DS9 tournaments would be nice

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                      The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

I like the tournament idea, it sounds fun.

I'm trying to decide what to put in my Netflix queue after I finish with DS9. I have never actually seen Farscape. But so many people recommend it, that I think I might try that next. Though I'm tempted to watch TNG, because I haven't seen the full series in years. Or maybe I'll just start watching DS9 all over again.

Comment

*a voice is heard*

Watch Voyager
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                            I like the tournament idea, it sounds fun.
                            I'm glad you like it the more the merrier

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                            I'm trying to decide what to put in my Netflix queue after I finish with DS9. I have never actually seen Farscape. But so many people recommend it, that I think I might try that next. Though I'm tempted to watch TNG, because I haven't seen the full series in years. Or maybe I'll just start watching DS9 all over again.
                            rewatching ST eps is always great (especially DS9 and TNG imo). Farscape is a very different show, it's not like SG, B5, ST etc. I'd give it a chance, you may really like it. also (and this may sound strange) it helped me to understand and accept Mitchell and Vala. don't ask me why or how, it just did. anyway it's a cool sci fi show, definitely worth watching

*a voice is heard*

Watch Voyager
                            VOY?

dude what do you think about the tournament idea?
                            sigpic
                            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

*a voice is heard*

Watch Voyager
                              I watched the entire run of Voyager last year. That will hold me for awhile.

rewatching ST eps is always great (especially DS9 and TNG imo). Farscape is a very different show, it's not like SG, B5, ST etc. I'd give it a chance, you may really like it. also (and this may sound strange) it helped me to understand and accept Mitchell and Vala. don't ask me why or how, it just did. anyway it's a cool sci fi show, definitely worth watching
                              I think I will try Farscape. So many different people on GW have recommended it, or are fans. I want to see those puppets everyone keeps talking about.

Comment

VOY?

dude what do you think about the tournament idea?
                                Those are fighting words. I have no idea what you mean with tournament.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X