No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also liked the fact that in the follow up episode (I liked both of these eps) you learn that the Federation both has the ability to clone limbs/organs and uses that ability in a seemingly casual way. Two more topical issues, stem cell use and human cloning, that really weren't around to any great degree back when this ep was made.

It's amusing how often Star Trek writers accidentally speak on future issues without meaning to do so just by using their imaginations.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      Does anybody else feel DS9 was the most superior and best written show of all the Star Trek genre's?.
      No, a lot of it was ripped from JMS's Babylon-5, Paramount has tried to deny this for a while but over the years the Trek people slowly admitted as much. The series was too dark, its was very different to Roddenberry's trek and too much about prophecy's and war. There are many reasons why DS9 isnt the best fo scifi, the death of Jadziah, glum look, Dominion, the soap opera behind Worf as well as the bad writing.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
        I also liked the fact that in the follow up episode (I liked both of these eps) you learn that the Federation both has the ability to clone limbs/organs and uses that ability in a seemingly casual way. Two more topical issues, stem cell use and human cloning, that really weren't around to any great degree back when this ep was made.

It's amusing how often Star Trek writers accidentally speak on future issues without meaning to do so just by using their imaginations.
        Isn't it just so odd, to our perspective now, that in the show someone could lose a leg and have it regrown, and it's really comparatively speaking treated like a casual process? I like how Star Trek could get away from debating the ethical issues on this one, and just get right down to exploring the emotional issues that come with it. When we're dealing with cloning/stem cells/whatever, you'd expect the episode to be about the ethics. I liked that they skipped that part this time, because Nog's story was so much more interesting, and I really liked his perspective. Here was a character that I didn't like much at the start of the series, but grew to really care about by the last few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by X-3-0-2 View Post
          No, a lot of it was ripped from JMS's Babylon-5, Paramount has tried to deny this for a while but over the years the Trek people slowly admitted as much. The series was too dark, its was very different to Roddenberry's trek and too much about prophecy's and war. There are many reasons why DS9 isnt the best fo scifi, the death of Jadziah, glum look, Dominion, the soap opera behind Worf as well as the bad writing.
          Pffft, you just stated the reasons that make DS9 superior (dark storylines, the Dominion, noir look, and Worf rocked on DS9 and NO Rodenberry). Who ripped off who?, that's debatable. As much as like B5, IMHO it isn't half as entertaining as DS9 is and other than some obscure similarities, it is delightfully different than B5.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
            Pffft, you just stated the reasons that make DS9 superior (dark storylines, the Dominion, noir look, and Worf rocked on DS9 and NO Rodenberry).
            I completely agree.

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
            Who ripped off who?, that's debatable. As much as like B5, IMHO it isn't half as entertaining as DS9 is and other than some obscure similarities, it is delightfully different than B5.
            I find it amusing that people say DS9 ripped off Babylon 5, and then the arguements offered up are "it's on a space station" and "it's dark".

Comment

I think both shows share concepts, but I'd rather not get into that old debate. Both shows are amazing for what they are, and they're differences make each other better. And while they may share similar concepts, many of the underlying plotlines are incredibly different.

BTW, Congrats Trek Girl for posting the 4000th reply to this thread!
              Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
              Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
              Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
              --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                I think both shows share concepts, but I'd rather not get into that old debate. Both shows are amazing for what they are, and they're differences make each other better. And while they may share similar concepts, many of the underlying plotlines are incredibly different.

I did? Sweet! Congrats to everyone else who made the other 3999 replys!

Comment

And a big congrats to The Fifth Race for exactly 1000 posts in this thread!

It seems it's a day for milestones.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    Isn't it just so odd, to our perspective now, that in the show someone could lose a leg and have it regrown, and it's really comparatively speaking treated like a casual process? I like how Star Trek could get away from debating the ethical issues on this one, and just get right down to exploring the emotional issues that come with it. When we're dealing with cloning/stem cells/whatever, you'd expect the episode to be about the ethics. I liked that they skipped that part this time, because Nog's story was so much more interesting, and I really liked his perspective. Here was a character that I didn't like much at the start of the series, but grew to really care about by the last few seasons.
                    Very well said Trek_Girl. I never thought of it that way - as far as the follow up episode tackling Nog's emotional experience with fighting hand to hand, losing his leg and almost his life, instead of it turning into a boring political ethics debate. I'm glad they did it the way they did.

Both Nog and Jake grew on me in the later seasons as well.

Comment

Exactly and well said Xicer. Both shows were amazing and different enough to not get the feeling that one show ripped off the other.
                      Originally posted by Xicer
                      Yah Trek_Girl

Comment

Ah I loved the episode "It's Only A Paper Moon" definitely on my top ten favorite DS9 episodes. By far the best Nog-centric episode IMO. Just so many things I loved about it I can't put into words.
                        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

I found DS9 and B5 to be quite different. I watched B5 from the perspective of already having seen DS9 (About a year ago I downloaded B5, then swiftly bought the entire DVD collection. See movie studio executives? If I wasn't able to watch it for free, I certainly would have never bought it (without test driving it first so to speak), and you'd have lost out on that profit).

The obvious "they both take place on a space station" argument just doesn't make sense to me. Scrubs and ER both take place in a hospital so OMG THEY ARE RIPPING EACH OTHER OFF!!!111onehundredandeleven!11!!. That's obviously not true though. The styles of those two shows are so different that no one could ever accuse them of ripping each other off just because they have a similar setting, and they both use scalpels, and both of their names are taken from the hospital setting.

The same thing is true with DS9 and B5. The styles of the shows were so dissimilar beyond the surface details that they couldn't be copying anything other than minor details. To me DS9 came across as copying WW1 and WW2 plot wise, not B5.

The things that I noticed on B5 that were similar to DS9 were the name Dukat (which appears on both shows), section 31, and.... that's pretty much it. There were a few minor things here and there that might have been copied, but it was never anything so grievous as to jolt me out of enjoying either show.

Comment

I found DS9 and B5 to be quite different. I watched B5 from the perspective of already having seen DS9 (About a year ago I downloaded B5, then swiftly bought the entire DVD collection. See movie studio executives? If I wasn't able to watch it for free, I certainly would have never bought it (without test driving it first so to speak), and you'd have lost out on that profit).

The obvious "they both take place on a space station" argument just doesn't make sense to me. Scrubs and ER both take place in a hospital so OMG THEY ARE RIPPING EACH OTHER OFF!!!111onehundredandeleven!11!!. That's obviously not true though. The styles of those two shows are so different that no one could ever accuse them of ripping each other off just because they have a similar setting, and they both use scalpels, and both of their names are taken from the hospital setting.

The same thing is true with DS9 and B5. The styles of the shows were so dissimilar beyond the surface details that they couldn't be copying anything other than minor details. To me DS9 came across as copying WW1 and WW2 plot wise, not B5.

The things that I noticed on B5 that were similar to DS9 were the name Dukat (which appears on both shows), section 31, and.... that's pretty much it. There were a few minor things here and there that might have been copied, but it was never anything so grievous as to jolt me out of enjoying either show.

Well said gopher65, I couldn't have said it better myself. I am a fan of both shows.

Comment

The things that I noticed on B5 that were similar to DS9 were the name Dukat (which appears on both shows), section 31, and.... that's pretty much it.
                              Well they have a guy named Shakaar, which sounds very similar to Ambassador G'kar from b5.

Anyways, I really like both shows. And you have to give both shows credit. Great ideas aren't exclusive to one show and eventually every great idea that can be thought up will be, by someone or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                Interesting take Lady Trek. Personally I would much rather watch an episode about the emotional scars behind such an injury Nog sustained, instead of watching a boring philosophical debate on ethics.

I found Quark's part in the episode The Siege of AR-558 quite compelling. With his being Nog's protective uncle and showing his resentment towards Sisko in sending his nephew on a potential suicide mission to his fighting his own demons of fright. Brilliant stuff!.

Ah I loved the episode "It's Only A Paper Moon" definitely on my top ten favorite DS9 episodes. By far the best Nog-centric episode IMO. Just so many things I loved about it I can't put into words.
                                I wholeheartedly agree Xicer. They took a completely different angle with this storyline than I ever would have imagined. I never saw that type of Nog behaviour coming, it most certainly worked and turned out to be a pleasant surprise, not to mention a great episode.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X