Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good choices brother Fifth!.....

Sanctuary was a great episode, The woman who played the leader of the Skrreeans was in TNG and well as Voyager in individual episodes.

Rivals was one of favorite Quark episodes!

The Alternate was also a great episode in that it was the first time we really saw the depth of Odo and gave us an insight to who he really was. Plus Dr. Mora Pol who appeared in a couple of later episodes on DS9 is a great character actor!.

I will post up some of favorites from the first half of season II later this afternoon.

Comment

Other first half season II episodes I really enjoyed watching this last week were.....

Cardassians::::This was an interesting episode in that it showed the inside of the way Cardassians feel about family and there own. It also showed just how dark and evil DuKat can be. He left Rugal behind on purpose to eventually use him as a pawn. Good stuff!.

Rules of Acquisition::::Another great episode in that you get to see the inner workings of the Ferengi in this episode. Quark and the Negus is always a great time.

Necessary Evil::::This episode follows a great line of mystery who-dunnit episodes emphasizing dectective work. Bashir saving Quark was pretty dramatic.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I forgot about Sanctuary, that was a good episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
          Funny you should ask. I only found out recently A.J. Robinson is the psychotic serial killer in Dirty Harry. Apparently Garak is the next real role he landed as he became typecast as a psycho and couldn't really get a job.
          He also played Liberace, and I sort of see Garak as a combination of the two, the mutant child of The Scorpio Killer and Liberace!

FF
          sigpic

Comment

Andrew J. Robinson told Amazon in an interview that he played Garak as bisexual. A book he wrote on Garak's past also insinuated Garak shared intimate relations with men.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race

Cardassians::::This was an interesting episode in that it showed the inside of the way Cardassians feel about family and there own. It also showed just how dark and evil DuKat can be. He left Rugal behind on purpose to eventually use him as a pawn. Good stuff!.
              Garak was so good in this one, where they are in the home for abandoned Cardassian/Bajoran children and he asks the woman running the place if they have ever met before, she says, ''No, she was in the Bajoran resistance''.
              And Garak, master torturer, in that smooth, soft voice says, ''Ah well we may have met then''.
              It's just so chilling, and subtle and wicked.

I felt for those children and we learned so much about the way the Cardassian mind worked. Loved Dukat in this one too, the looks he gives Garak could peel the wallpaper off the wall.

Also loved Bashir intrerrupting Sisko when he's talking to Dukat ("Don't do it again") and then getting up the courage to go knocking on Sisko's door in the middle of the night to ask if he can borrow a runabout, just on Garak's say so. Gorgeous acting from Avery and Sid in those scenes.

FF
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
                He also played Liberace, and I sort of see Garak as a combination of the two, the mutant child of The Scorpio Killer and Liberace!

FF
                LOL Interesting analogy Frostfox. Does that mean he would torture you for information while crooning on the piano?

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
                Andrew J. Robinson told Amazon in an interview that he played Garak as bisexual. A book he wrote on Garak's past also insinuated Garak shared intimate relations with men.
                Wow, I never knew that before. I must say though, I did find him to be quite camp on first impression. Imagine if they added that dynamic to Garak's character in the show. It might've proved too controversial for the bigwigs at Paramount I suppose.
                "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman

Wow, I never knew that before. I must say though, I did find him to be quite camp on first impression. Imagine if they added that dynamic to Garak's character in the show. It might've proved too controversial for the bigwigs at Paramount I suppose.
                  Yeah, your initial impression of him is very very camp. However when you settle into him you just feel he's playing an ambiguous role. I don't mean sexually but just an ambiguous person with a strange and confused past who is hard to figure out. I thought the manner suited him. But that's what he says. Although it's one of those tough questions, if the writers write him and decide him to be straight and A.J. Robinson decides he is bisexual, what is he?

Comment

Garak was so good in this one
                    With all due respect FF, when can you not say that?

Good analysis of the ep though. I'll give my take on S2 soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                      LOL Interesting analogy Frostfox. Does that mean he would torture you for information while crooning on the piano?
                      Heavens, that would be torture!

Oh, Garak was as camp as a row of tents! But he was an alien, for all we knew, all Cardassians might have been bisexual?
                      He had a relationship with little Zial but I always got the impression that she loved him and he loved her but in a paternal/uncle sort of way, he seemed bemused by her advances, not to mention the age difference!

FF
                      sigpic

Comment

He had a relationship with little Zial but I always got the impression that she loved him and he loved her but in a paternal/uncle sort of way, he seemed bemused by her advances, not to mention the age difference!

FF
                        That's a good point. If I recall his reaction to her death was something along the lines of "*Sigh*. She loved me, I was never quite sure why." I think he loved her innocence, as if it was a diversion from his normal life of deception and cynicism.

Comment

Good review on 'Cardassians' Frostfox. I'm not as far on as that yet. Which means, I have the last couple episodes waiting for me at this very minute. So... I'm offski for now!

Just finished watching 'Duet'. A standout episode for season 1 IMO. I felt sympathy for Marritza when he broke down at the end. He felt guilty for the atrocities committed against the Bajorans and being helpless to do anything about it.

MF
                          Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 04 February 2006, 06:51 PM. Reason: added a paragraph :P
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Garak was so good in this one, where they are in the home for abandoned Cardassian/Bajoran children and he asks the woman running the place if they have ever met before, she says, ''No, she was in the Bajoran resistance''.
                            And Garak, master torturer, in that smooth, soft voice says, ''Ah well we may have met then''.
                            It's just so chilling, and subtle and wicked.

I felt for those children and we learned so much about the way the Cardassian mind worked. Loved Dukat in this one too, the looks he gives Garak could peel the wallpaper off the wall.

Also loved Bashir intrerrupting Sisko when he's talking to Dukat ("Don't do it again") and then getting up the courage to go knocking on Sisko's door in the middle of the night to ask if he can borrow a runabout, just on Garak's say so. Gorgeous acting from Avery and Sid in those scenes.

FF
                            I wonder if DuKat was an abberation or the norm for Cardassian's?. I mean they are all arrogant and self absorbed, but DuKat and Garrak for that matter seemed to take more initiative and enjoy there evilness a little to much. This episode started to show DuKat as not just a meglomaniac bent on getting his power and self imagined prestige back but a very cunning and truly evil person.

I totally agree with you on Bashir in this episode FF, Bashir was almost non-existant in season I, but really started to come into to his own in season II, especially in this this episode. Bashir and Sisko always had a kind of terse and confrontational relationship all through the series.

Great post FF!.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I wonder if DuKat was an abberation or the norm for Cardassian's?. I mean they are all arrogant and self absorbed, but DuKat and Garrak for that matter seemed to take more initiative and enjoy there evilness a little to much. This episode started to show DuKat as not just a meglomaniac bent on getting his power and self imagined prestige back but a very cunning and truly evil person.

I totally agree with you on Bashir in this episode FF, Bashir was almost non-existant in season I, but really started to come into to his own in season II, especially in this this episode. Bashir and Sisko always had a kind of terse and confrontational relationship all through the series.

Great post FF!.
                              We met quite a wide range of Cardassians, including the father in the episode Cardassians, the Butcher in Duet, Quark's Cardassial lady friend. As the generic 'bad guys', clearly based on Nazis, (with the Bajorans cast as the Jewish) they turned into a remarkably diverse and interesting bunch. All respect to the writers and part of the reason why DS9 is superior.

The tension between Bashir and Sisko. Yeah, all the way through, Bashir was always pushing him, always challenging. I really liked the episodes with them stuck back in San Francisco during the riots, they developed a lot of respect for each other. Sid (Alexander Siddig - who is in the Oscar nominated Syriana) and Avery were pleased with stories involving the two of them. Where else but SF could a black guy and a middle eastern guy have conversations on screen which had nothing to do with our political situation, or terrorism, or blowing things up!

FF
                              sigpic

Comment

I echo your sentiments my friends, I am a huge fan of Alaimo and Robinson along with everyone else from DS9.

I am curious where have any of you seen either one of these actors on TV or in a movie since or before DS9?.
                                I had to look it up because I couldn't remember which series it was, but Andrew Robinson guest starred in Without A Trace and the Practice in 2004. Without a Trace is the one I saw.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X