No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok that was the second time that GW ate my witty intelligent response! this time it will be quick and dirty!
    Krisz- I too adored little green men (good eye, starbase, on Charles napier, you are definitely on the ball)- quark is one of my favorite characters and the way Rom cries for "moogie" is just too funny. This episode is on the time travel fan collective and we have watched it several times.
    the increase in budget for the last two seasons of DS9 really showed. I loved the better sepcial effects and my hubby loved the battle scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
      This episode, while first aired more than a year before the premiere of Star Trek: First Contact, contains a hint that Vulcans were the first alien race to have official contact with humans.
      ok starbase where did you get that info from (i gotta rewatch the episode methinks)?

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
        ok that was the second time that GW ate my witty intelligent response! this time it will be quick and dirty!
        Krisz- I too adored little green men (good eye, starbase, on Charles napier, you are definitely on the ball)- quark is one of my favorite characters and the way Rom cries for "moogie" is just too funny. This episode is on the time travel fan collective and we have watched it several times.
        the increase in budget for the last two seasons of DS9 really showed. I loved the better sepcial effects and my hubby loved the battle scenes.
        I have been a fan of Charles Napier going to back awhile. I remember him on Baa Baa Black Sheep with Robert Conrad, The Rockford Files, Starsky and Hutch, Baretta, BJ and the Bear, Dukes of Hazzard among a host of other 70's and 80's television shows. He always played a Sheriff, police officer, or military guy. I remember him lately from an episode of Monk last year where he played a Sheriff and The 4400 where he played a Reverend. He also did 2 TOS episodes, which I do not remember him in.
        ok starbase where did you get that info from (i gotta rewatch the episode methinks)?
        It's from the DS9 episode Little Green Men. I got the info from reviewing a post brother Fifth Race made awhile back where he reviewed this episode.

I have all the Star Trek Fan Collective DVD Box Sets but I have only watched the Klingon and Q set's. I wasn't aware Little Green Men is on the Time Travel Box Set. I am going to pull it off the shelf and re-watch it tonight.

Comment

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome!

It's been fascinating to read all your snippets of information about 'Little Green Men'. It's good to know that everyone else likes that episode. I really love a good Time Travel story, always been fascinated by that concept in Sci Fi. Guess it's because I like History and my love must come from that as an exploration of the Human condition.

I really love any episodes that have the Quark and Odo dynamic going! They are a fantastic comedy double act at times!!

As for the DS9 ending I'm with you as far as the wonderful production values are concerned. It's so good to know that Paramount did actually put more money into the penultimate and final seasons to give DS9 the send off it deserved. The final battle over Cardassia was astounding and is for me one of the finest space battles I've ever seen on the small screen. The battle over Antarctica in Stargate's 'Lost City pt 2' is the only one that has come close.

Ahh, the list of my favourite characters. Will have to revisit my list of favourite TOS episodes.

1) Garak...A master of contradiction! A fascinating character, kept me guessing his motives all the time.

2) Kira....Self assured but has a certain vunerablity about her at the same time. Enjoyable to watch her hide this side.

3) Dukat...devious, dastardly and deranged but what a wonderful foil to Sisko. Enjoyed watching his slimy character worm his way in and out of situations.

4) Bashir...wide eyed and trusting, with Garak's help he learned to take the hard knocks life gives out.

5) Odo...really enjoyed his transition from the aloof lost soul to becoming a better 'person' for sharing the trials, loves and lives of those his people never learned to understand.

6) Quark...the hapless, failed Ferengi! Generous at heart, a real softie really. Cracks me up!!

7) Worf...It was good to see his character develop further after TNG. Through him we learned more about the Klingons.

8) Ezri Dax...May have been the latecomer but what an impact in that short time as the new beleagured Dax host. Dealing with the emotional storm after Jadzia's loss and trying to assert her identity.

9) Weyoun...Felt really sorry for him, tried so hard...he really did, just never quite got it right! He's DS9's Herak!

10) Sisko...Noble and shrewd. Liked his no nonsense yet caring manner.

Coming here to this thread will once again jog my memory of the hundreds of fantastic moments that make DS9 what it is. I will certainly learn some more too, I've got really out of touch with Star Trek things, and it will be good to talk about Star Trek again. It's astounding what all of you know!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            It's been fascinating to read all your snippets of information about 'Little Green Men'. It's good to know that everyone else likes that episode. I really love a good Time Travel story, always been fascinated by that concept in Sci Fi. Guess it's because I like History and my love must come from that as an exploration of the Human condition.
            I'm with you there Kris. Time Travel episodes have always been fun episodes, IMHO Star Trek manages to do them best. Star Trek in general is an "exploration" and study of the "human condition" and what it could be in the future.
            Originally posted by Krisz
            I really love any episodes that have the Quark and Odo dynamic going! They are a fantastic comedy double act at times!!
            Absolutely!, not only was there "dynamic" full of great "comedy" but there were also a handful of very serious and even touching dedicated Quark and Odo episodes. - The Ascent and The Sound of Her Voice (both great episodes!) come to mind.
            As for the DS9 ending I'm with you as far as the wonderful production values are concerned. It's so good to know that Paramount did actually put more money into the penultimate and final seasons to give DS9 the send off it deserved. The final battle over Cardassia was astounding and is for me one of the finest space battles I've ever seen on the small screen. The battle over Antarctica in Stargate's 'Lost City pt 2' is the only one that has come close.
            There were quite a few 'great moment' battle scenes from DS9, and some of those were spine chilling (in a good way) for me personally. The Lost City part II (especially when Jack initiated the Drone attack) was also a great moment that sent chills down my spine. I love the coy smile Bra'tac gave when he saw the drones come shooting out of the ice. Great call Kris.
            Ahh, the list of my favourite characters. Will have to revisit my list of favourite TOS episodes.

1) Garak...A master of contradiction! A fascinating character, kept me guessing his motives all the time.

2) Kira....Self assured but has a certain vunerablity about her at the same time. Enjoyable to watch her hide this side.

3) Dukat...devious, dastardly and deranged but what a wonderful foil to Sisko. Enjoyed watching his slimy character worm his way in and out of situations.

4) Bashir...wide eyed and trusting, with Garak's help he learned to take the hard knocks life gives out.

5) Odo...really enjoyed his transition from the aloof lost soul to becoming a better 'person' for sharing the trials, loves and lives of those his people never learned to understand.

6) Quark...the hapless, failed Ferengi! Generous at heart, a real softie really. Cracks me up!!

7) Worf...It was good to see his character develop further after TNG. Through him we learned more about the Klingons.

8) Ezri Dax...May have been the latecomer but what an impact in that short time as the new beleagured Dax host. Dealing with the emotional storm after Jadzia's loss and trying to assert her identity.

9) Weyoun...Felt really sorry for him, tried so hard...he really did, just never quite got it right! He's DS9's Herak!

Great list and thank you for detailing it as such. I am not surprised by your choices and the reasons why. By that list alone, I can tell you are a true DS9 aficionado. I look forward to a favorite TOS episode list.
            Coming here to this thread will once again jog my memory of the hundreds of fantastic moments that make DS9 what it is. I will certainly learn some more too, I've got really out of touch with Star Trek things, and it will be good to talk about Star Trek again. It's astounding what all of you know!!
            You ain't seen nothing yet. We do know our Trek on the superior thread, and the people that frequent this thread are the coolest on GW. And as you can tell by now, we are a full service Star Trek/scifi thread with an affectionate proclivity towards DS9.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
              I know exactly what you mean Lady Trek - When you watch those DS9 clips of various ships flying through space or those amazing battle scenes, you realize just how well done they are. The attention to detail from the way the ships are damaged or destroyed to the angles in which they attack or retreat is so well done that you know that the people involved with putting it together are not only good at there job, but there work shows that they cared for what they were doing.

The special effects really do stand up today and in a lot of cases they are better than today's special effects in that DS9 used a combination of CGI and large scale models. In todays scifi world most series rely exclusively on CGI because it's cheaper, while the cost involved in building and using large models in scenes is a very expensive and time consuming proposition.
              I absolutely agree- on most shows the CGI of ships is often just that, it feels like CGI, but on DS9, there was almost an emotion to it, which I think comes from the quality, the angles they chose for shots, etc. coupled with the music, etc. Watching some of the battles was very moving- hec, The Defiant even felt like another character.

Comment

I'm with you there Kris. Time Travel episodes have always been fun episodes, IMHO Star Trek manages to do them best. Star Trek in general is an "exploration" and study of the "human condition" and what it could be in the future. Absolutely!, not only was there "dynamic" full of great "comedy" but there were also a handful of very serious and even touching dedicated Quark and Odo episodes. - The Ascent and The Sound of Her Voice (both great episodes!) come to mind.
                'The Ascent' is one of my top episodes. A fine example of bonding in adversity! I agree, Quark and Odo at their finest with bickering and grudging respect for eachother.

There were quite a few 'great moment' battle scenes from DS9, and some of those were spine chilling (in a good way) for me personally. The Lost City part II (especially when Jack initiated the Drone attack) was also a great moment that sent chills down my spine. I love the coy smile Bra'tac gave when he saw the drones come shooting out of the ice. Great call Kris. Great list and thank you for detailing it as such. I am not surprised by your choices and the reasons why. By that list alone, I can tell you are a true DS9 aficionado. I look forward to a favorite TOS episode list.
                I share your feeling about the moments you mention in 'The Lost City'. Amongst the finest in Stargate for me. Bra'tac's smile of satisfaction coupled with that superb music score just made that moment. Of course Jack, what a moment, the ultimate selfless sacrifice! Liked the smug look he gave as he sensed the destruction of Anubis' ship, go Jack!

You ain't seen nothing yet. We do know our Trek on the superior thread, and the people that frequent this thread are the coolest on GW. And as you can tell by now, we are a full service Star Trek/scifi thread with an affectionate proclivity towards DS9.
                I sure look forward to sharing my love of all things Trek/Sci Fi with you guys! Can't argue about the 'cool' aspect of the people on this thread. I've noticed you all in other threads and wasn't surprised to find you all here!!!

Comment

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome!
                  Glad you found us and made yourself known Krisz.
                  Star Trek most definetly does Time Travel episodes the best. I am not the biggest fan of Alternate Universe episodes, but I do love Time Traveling, whether it's into the future or into the past. Little Green Men was done so well with attention to detail you don't often see anywhere on television. From Vic's program to Little Green Men to the truly great episode Far Beyond the Stars, DS9 shows beauty and brilliance in presenting a glimpse of the past.
                  DS9 was full of great dynamic pair's, whether they be buddy/buddy or friend/foe. Among my favorites .... Bashir/Garak .... Odo/Quark .... Bashir/O'Brien .... Kira/Sisko .... Nog/Jake .... DuKat/Kira .... Worf/Jadzia .... Martok/Worf.
                  Fifth Race and yourself mentioned having those rare great spine chilling moments while watching those awesome DS9 and Stargate battles. I had quite a few on DS9 - A Call to Arms, Sacrifice of Angels, Tears of the Prophets, The Seige of AR-558, and of course What You Leave Behind. As far as great Stargate moments go - The aforementioned Lost City part II was definetly one of those. There was also the moments where Jack met the Asgard from the great episode The Fifth Race. When the Asgard showed up and took care of Heru'urs fleet from the episode Thor's Hammer. I am sure they were a few other's I can't think of right now.

Great characters list Krisz. Great to see Weyoun and DuKat on your top 10. I also have Kira, Bashir and Garak in my top 5. I will re-post my updated list up in the next few days.

Fifth Race got my wife and I to join GW awhile back because of our love for Star Trek, Stargate and anything scifi. This thread fast became a favorite, more because of the great sense of community and friendship that exists on the DS9 superior thread and GW in general. Plus Fifth Race's (David is his name) knowledge of everyuthing Star Trek (especially DS9) taught me a lot and made me appreciate the show all the more. Onething I have noticed from this thread about DS9 - It's fans are the most loyal of all the Trek series, they are the smartest of all various Trek series fans and DS9 as subject matter is a wonderful thing to discuss.

Comment

I too loved all the spine chilling battles, and I loved Jack's smug look when Anubis's ship was trashed. With the end of sg1 this year, I find I am rewatching old scifi more and more. I actually have stargate on dvd so I watch that often. I know when sg1 ends, I will miss the "anticipation of the next new episode" feeling, right now there is nothing else on tv that thrills me. I have said it before, there is too much dreck and drivel on tv these days.
                    I find there is a certain type of person who enjoys watching things about the "human condition" and on that note, I have a friend serving in Iraq (his second tour) who insists that Star Trek has gotten him through. He has collected most seasons of the various series and watches them incessantly on his "downtime", says it gives him hope. Also in Trek, the "bad guys" do lose! his is a chaplain (with a degree in counseling and i have a degree in psychology) and we have loooong discussions about the "human condition" (via email) lasting months it seems.
                    "far beyond the stars" is one of my favorite ds9 episodes. I loved that glimpse of the old scifi magazines of the 1950's. The acting and cultural context of that epsiode was fantastic.
                    We have the time travel and klingon collectives and I am thinking about getting the borg collective, but honestly i don't want the Q collective. Although I loved Q as a villian, I can only take him in small doses!

Comment

I too loved all the spine chilling battles, and I loved Jack's smug look when Anubis's ship was trashed. With the end of sg1 this year, I find I am rewatching old scifi more and more. I actually have stargate on dvd so I watch that often. I know when sg1 ends, I will miss the "anticipation of the next new episode" feeling, right now there is nothing else on tv that thrills me. I have said it before, there is too much dreck and drivel on tv these days.
                      I hear you loud and clear Lady Rac. I love SG, SGA and BSG to a lesser degree, but outside of scifi Friday's there isn't much I care about. Sure I still watch a handful of shows like Lost, Heroes, Supernatural, Eureka but to say I care about them or I can't miss an episode would be a lie.

I'm curious Lady Rac (and anyone else), what have you thought about post Jack Stargate (S9 & S10). I am a big Claudia Black and Ben Browder fan from Farscape. I initially couldn't stand Vala's character but since she has became a regular member of SG-1 her character has grown on me, plus it's nice seeing Carter have another female on the team so we could see her feminine side more. Browders character (Mitchell) I have liked since the beginning, he just seems to fit the group perfectly. Over-all I am still not sure what I think of the 'new era' Stargate overall, definetly not as good as when Jack was in the show.
                      Originally posted by Rac80
                      I find there is a certain type of person who enjoys watching things about the "human condition" and on that note, I have a friend serving in Iraq (his second tour) who insists that Star Trek has gotten him through. He has collected most seasons of the various series and watches them incessantly on his "downtime", says it gives him hope. Also in Trek, the "bad guys" do lose! his is a chaplain (with a degree in counseling and i have a degree in psychology) and we have loooong discussions about the "human condition" (via email) lasting months it seems.
                      That's awesome to hear about your friend in Iraq, thanx for sharing it. IMHO one of the biggest hook's (at least for me personally) is the hope that Star Trek brings when you watch it. Besides all the cool spaceships, aliens and adventurous storylines there is that hook that the future of mankind is positive and it is us humans who set the standard for the rest of galaxy on how to live peacefully and treat everyone equally.
                      "far beyond the stars" is one of my favorite ds9 episodes. I loved that glimpse of the old scifi magazines of the 1950's. The acting and cultural context of that epsiode was fantastic.
                      In the past we have had great discussions about this episode that lasted for days. Truly one of the best episodes from any Trek series. It will be fun to talk about again once it comes around on the episode discussion.
                      We have the time travel and klingon collectives and I am thinking about getting the borg collective, but honestly i don't want the Q collective. Although I loved Q as a villian, I can only take him in small doses!
                      Did you like the Time Travel fan collection Lady Rac?. I have it sitting on the shelf but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. The Klingon fan collective was wonderful, what a well thought out race TPTB made with the Klingons.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

'The Ascent' is one of my top episodes. A fine example of bonding in adversity! I agree, Quark and Odo at their finest with bickering and grudging respect for eachother.
                        That last scene where both Quark and Odo are laying in the infirmary where they reiterate there hatred for each other while busting out laughing was such a joy to watch. There relationship changed after that episode. TPTB wrote Odo's character as less antagonistic towards Quark.
                        I share your feeling about the moments you mention in 'The Lost City'. Amongst the finest in Stargate for me. Bra'tac's smile of satisfaction coupled with that superb music score just made that moment. Of course Jack, what a moment, the ultimate selfless sacrifice! Liked the smug look he gave as he sensed the destruction of Anubis' ship, go Jack!
                        I remember actually feeling like standing up and cheering when Jack released the Drones while Anubis' fleet was getting destroyed. I also loved the scene in Lost City part I where the president, played perfectly by William Devane, told the Anubis hologram to basically go screw himself.
                        I sure look forward to sharing my love of all things Trek/Sci Fi with you guys! Can't argue about the 'cool' aspect of the people on this thread. I've noticed you all in other threads and wasn't surprised to find you all here!!!
                        Most excellent!.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I hear you loud and clear Lady Rac. I love SG, SGA and BSG to a lesser degree, but outside of scifi Friday's there isn't much I care about. Sure I still watch a handful of shows like Lost, Heroes, Supernatural, Eureka but to say I care about them or I can't miss an episode would be a lie.

I'm curious Lady Rac (and anyone else), what have you thought about post Jack Stargate (S9 & S10). I am a big Claudia Black and Ben Browder fan from Farscape. I initially couldn't stand Vala's character but since she has became a regular member of SG-1 her character has grown on me, plus it's nice seeing Carter have another female on the team so we could see her feminine side more. Browders character (Mitchell) I have liked since the beginning, he just seems to fit the group perfectly. Over-all I am still not sure what I think of the 'new era' Stargate overall, definetly not as good as when Jack was in the show.
                          I am a long time richard dean anderson fan -- since his days as jeff webber on General hospital (see picture below - how the time has flown!) and thru Macgyver and we even loved Legend (with the ever effusive john deLancie). So yes, I missed Jack from sg. Having said that, I will admit i adored Vala from the start. she is brash, out there, irrepressible, and just plan fun! I like outrageous at times and she sure qualifies. I love the dynamic of her and daniel. he gets too cerebral and needs vala to shake up and help him get over himself. (there is just something great about the scientist and the flirt... it works well for me - has for 26 years! )
                          Mitchell has fit in well, but sometimes I think the writers are still writing for jack ,and just giving mitchell jack's lines. I have enjoyed seasons 9 & 10 a lot. I am hoping the movies will be as good if not better. I like seeing jack interact with the new sg1.
                          Did you like the Time Travel fan collection Lady Rac?. I have it sitting on the shelf but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. The Klingon fan collective was wonderful, what a well thought out race TPTB made with the Klingons.
                          Yes I adored the time travel collective. It is a fun set and just enjoyable to watch. with "trials and tribblations" on both the klingon and time travel sets I felt they could have used another episode on the time travel one. I was disappointed they did not include atleast one epsiode from enterprise on the time travel set. The klingon collective had atleast one episode from all five series and I wish they had done that with the time travel. I personally am hoping for either a ferengi collective or an alternate universe collecitve. I admit to being a major fan of the alternate universe episodes.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yes I adored the time travel collective. It is a fun set and just enjoyable to watch. with "trials and tribblations" on both the klingon and time travel sets I felt they could have used another episode on the time travel one. I was disappointed they did not include atleast one epsiode from enterprise on the time travel set. The klingon collective had atleast one episode from all five series and I wish they had done that with the time travel. I personally am hoping for either a ferengi collective or an alternate universe collecitve. I admit to being a major fan of the alternate universe episodes.
                            I wish that there had been an Enterprise episode on the Time Travel set as well- Time Travel was a huge part of the show fer cryin' out loud! I'd have loved to have seen Shockwave 1 & 2 on there, I hought that they offered a great glimpse of the "future". However, both the Time Travel and Klingon sets are wonderful samples of Trek, and I don't have much else to complain about, except, yes, the doubling of episodes.

Comment

I am a long time richard dean anderson fan -- since his days as jeff webber on General hospital (see picture below - how the time has flown!) and thru Macgyver and we even loved Legend (with the ever effusive john deLancie). So yes, I missed Jack from sg. Having said that, I will admit i adored Vala from the start. she is brash, out there, irrepressible, and just plan fun! I like outrageous at times and she sure qualifies. I love the dynamic of her and daniel. he gets too cerebral and needs vala to shake up and help him get over himself. (there is just something great about the scientist and the flirt... it works well for me - has for 26 years! )
                              Mitchell has fit in well, but sometimes I think the writers are still writing for jack ,and just giving mitchell jack's lines. I have enjoyed seasons 9 & 10 a lot. I am hoping the movies will be as good if not better. I like seeing jack interact with the new sg1.
                              Ahhhh, so RDA was a soap opera jockey before he hit primetime, I did not know that. Great picture by the way. I guess it's not that big big a leap, afterall scifi television (in particular) is full of ex-Soap Opera stars. You mention your disdain for John De Lancie and the Q character in general, shame on you Lady Rac , John De Lancie is da man. Ok so Q is the most annoying, ultra-powerful, omnipotent being in the universe, that much I will give you. But come on, he is the guy who ridiculed Picard and made him sweat while harrassing the rest of stiff TNG crew. My wife and I were big John De Lancie fans long before he ever appeared on Star Trek. - He played Eugene (they called him Eug for short) on Days of our Lives where his character was equally as wacky and flamboyant as Q was. I could see where they hired him to play Q after seeing him play the Eugene character. On the other end of the spectrum there was a favorite character of mine from the first 2 seasons of Andromeda called Tyr (Keith Hamilton Cobb) who played a member of Captain Dylan Hunt's (Kevin Sorbo) crew aboard the Andromeda. - He left the show after the 2nd season to star on The Young and Restless as Damon Porter.
                              I have personally enjoyed all the fan collectives, even though they doubled up episodes on some of the box sets. I remember reading awhile back that Paramount was conducting online or write-in polls on what they want to see in the next round of fan collectives. A lot suggested Ferengi FC, Mirror Universe FC, Best of episodes from each series FC.

Brother Fifth Race and I both came up with a series of fan collectives for favorite individual characters (ie. Bashir FC ... Riker FC ... Kira FC ... Trip FC ... Hologram Dr. FC ... 7 of 9 FC ... Guinan FC ... Garak FC ... DuKat FC) or how about a favorite Villain's FC.

Comment

I quite agree with you. I liked Q as a villian, but I felt he was overused; just as I feel they have overused Ba'al in SG1 and are starting to in SGA with Woolsey. John DeLancie is great, I have been watching him forever it seems like.

*waves hand* RDA fan here since his first appearance on General Hospital. I have just followed him from project to project. Interesting RDA fact; although he has never appeared on any "Star Trek" series, he has shared scenes with regulars from all five "Star Trek" series.

TOS: George Takei and James Doohan in MacGyver
                                TNG: Marina Sirtis in SG-1
                                DS9: Nana and Colm in MacGyver, Rene and Armin from DS9
                                in SG1
                                Voyager: Robert Picardo in SG-1 and SGA.
                                Enterprise Jolene Blalock and John Billingsley in SG-1

Although he was not a regular, John DeLancie wins the prize by appearing in MacGyver, Legend and SG-1.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X