Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    I'd actually like to see more movies set in the Star Wars universe- as long as Lucas wasn't actually writing them. He can come up with the story, but please PLEASE hire someone who can, you know, actually write good dialogue. Or at least get a good script doctor to tidy it up. But if Lucas wants to be on board to come up with a story and produce a Star Wars movie, I say go for it.
    Amen sister Trek! I couldn't have said it better myself. It's better to have something than nothing and if it means good ole George meddling more than he should, it's still better than nada.

Originally posted by Dark Falcon View Post
    I would be surprised if Lucas didn't make more Star Wars movies. If Lucas did make more movies, it would mean another reason to be in a nice air-conditioned theater during the hot summer days.
    LOL, I seriously doubt the Star Wars franchise is dead.

What be a bold move - would be to create a new series of Star Wars adeventures that set further in the future from where Return of the Jedi ended so that there would be all new characters, planets, technologies ...etc...
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
      methinks you like your gadgets! another sign of our age... we love the new gadgets and have to try each of them out!
      >>>>> Big Time gadget guru.
      Originally posted by Rac80
      Nope I am not that old...was told that I looked 32 and that is what I am sticking with! Yes, I remember the commodore 64 and the old TI 35 calculators that were soooooooo advanced when I took calculus in high school (once a nerd always a nerd!). I had a friends whose brother got an atari video game one year for christmas... it was waaaaaaaay cool... in those days. I remember when MTV was controversal (ok ok I went to BYU in Provo ) and CNN had just begun. what did we watch before the weather channel????
      I feel and look young for my age (41) as well Lady Rac. I remember how very cool those Texas Instrument calculators were, I think we spent just as much time spelling words with digits by turning the calculators upside down than we did doing math. I remember Pong first came out when I was a kid, my dad bought one and we played it until we became zombies. Then came those newer generation Atari 2600 video game home consels that had games like video pinball, space invaders, and my favorite, which I was a master at - Breakout.

I also remember the beginning of MTV (1981) and CNN (1980). I was in High School when they both respectively first aired. Originally they both aired for for about 16 hours a day. I remember hanging out at friends houses or going to parties on weekends in High School where all that people watched was MTV.
      Video Killed the Radio Star, indeed.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
        >>>>> Big Time gadget guru.
        I feel and look young for my age (41) as well Lady Rac. I remember how very cool those Texas Instrument calculators were, I think we spent just as much time spelling words with digits by turning the calculators upside down than we did doing math. I remember Pong first came out when I was a kid, my dad bought one and we played it until we became zombies. Then came those newer generation Atari 2600 video game home consels that had games like video pinball, space invaders, and my favorite, which I was a master at - Breakout.

I also remember the beginning of MTV (1981) and CNN (1980). I was in High School when they both respectively first aired. Originally they both aired for for about 16 hours a day. I remember hanging out at friends houses or going to parties on weekends in High School where all that people watched was MTV.
        Video Killed the Radio Star, indeed.
        Ok i got a few years on you! (of course I also have a 24 year old so I have to admit my age or be thought precocious! ) WE used to watch saturday night live at parties and thought we were all "wild and crazy!" Video did kill the radio star... I miss Heart and Peter Cetera! I grumble at my daughter that today's music is all flash and trash, not good songs!
        I feel that is one reason I liked DS9 more than TNG, it was more mature. TNG seemed to be doing simplistic "solve the problem in 45 minutes" episodes. By the time DS9 came along, I was married and had a child so I appreciated that DS9 showed long term problems that didn't have any easy solutions. (another reason i preferred DS9 was better writing, and oh yes, no Picard ) That is what still stands out today with DS9... excellent writing that involves you in the long term stories. By the time the show ended I CARED about the Bajorans and what happened to them, not just caring about the crew of DS9. In most trek shows you get intimately involved with the characters, but do you really care about the societies? With DS9, the Bajorans became an entity unto themselves. You hated Kai Winn for screwing with their religion for her own purposes, you were ready to strangle the cardassians for what they had done to Bajor, and you were grateful that the prophets had sent an emissary to protect them. That is one more way that DS9 was superior.

Comment

Amen sister Trek! I couldn't have said it better myself. It's better to have something than nothing and if it means good ole George meddling more than he should, it's still better than nada.

LOL, I seriously doubt the Star Wars franchise is dead.

What be a bold move - would be to create a new series of Star Wars adeventures that set further in the future from where Return of the Jedi ended so that there would be all new characters, planets, technologies ...etc...
          Nope, definitely not dead- the amazing thing about Star Wars is that it's one of those movies that parents just seem to love making their kids watch as soon as they're old enough- hence the kids fall in love with it, and there is a whole new generation of fans. I can see that trend just continuing on for a very long time to come. At least that was my introduction. My mum made our whole family go to the theater when it was re-released.....ten years ago now. I distinctly remember my dad's lack of enthusiasm.

As for making a movie set in the far "future" that definitely would be bold- very gamblesome. Could work, could not. I'd give it a 50-50 chance.

Comment

The original concept that Lucas talked about in the late 70's was three generations: annakin, luke, and luke's (or leia's) child. I would like to see Lucas take the story on from the return of the jedi to setting up a new jedi council (by luke) and the training of the next generation, BUT with the last sith (the emperor) and his apprentice (vader) both dead would there be any return of evil? or is it even possible?
            We took our daughter to the re-release and she is a second-generation fan. (given her age of 24, generation three isn't far off). All of us enjoy the all six movies (even the annoying jar-jar is funny at times) and we are all hoping for another round... maybe leia and han's kids will be troublesome

Comment

Ok i got a few years on you! (of course I also have a 24 year old so I have to admit my age or be thought precocious! ) WE used to watch saturday night live at parties and thought we were all "wild and crazy!" Video did kill the radio star... I miss Heart and Peter Cetera! I grumble at my daughter that today's music is all flash and trash, not good songs!
              I never really got into Chicago's music to much, although I did enjoy Cetera's solo albums. I am a big Heart fan!. I just saw them perform live last week during the VH-1 Rock Honors concert that featured ZZ-Top, Heart, Genesis (with Phil Collins rejoining the band) and the Prince of Darkness himself Ozzy Osbourne. They all performed a handful of songs each spanning there respective careers. And they also had other famous modern bands paying tribute to there music by covering there hits. Alice in Chains with Gretchen Wilson singing did Heart's Barracuda. Check it out if you have VH-1 available, I believe it is running all this week.
              I feel that is one reason I liked DS9 more than TNG, it was more mature. TNG seemed to be doing simplistic "solve the problem in 45 minutes" episodes. By the time DS9 came along, I was married and had a child so I appreciated that DS9 showed long term problems that didn't have any easy solutions. (another reason i preferred DS9 was better writing, and oh yes, no Picard ) That is what still stands out today with DS9... excellent writing that involves you in the long term stories. By the time the show ended I CARED about the Bajorans and what happened to them, not just caring about the crew of DS9. In most trek shows you get intimately involved with the characters, but do you really care about the societies? With DS9, the Bajorans became an entity unto themselves. You hated Kai Winn for screwing with their religion for her own purposes, you were ready to strangle the cardassians for what they had done to Bajor, and you were grateful that the prophets had sent an emissary to protect them. That is one more way that DS9 was superior.
              I wouldn't say this on any other Trek thread, but it has been my experience that the more mature and smarter Trek fan prefers DS9 over all the other series. There have been a handful of people on this thread over the years that had never seen or had just seen a few episodes of DS9, that started to follow the series on Spike or got a hold of the DVD Box Set's. After sticking with it they all became huge DS9 fans.

Personally I loved DS9 from the beginning. I knew Avery Brooks was going to be the main character (which we talked about earlier) and I liked the new concept of a Trek show being based on a space station as opposed to a starship. After a mediocre season and a half to start the series the show became brilliant and must watch television. I knew then that it had already passed TNG and TOS. As great as all the characters and guest stars were, the writing and directing stands out as well.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Nope, definitely not dead- the amazing thing about Star Wars is that it's one of those movies that parents just seem to love making their kids watch as soon as they're old enough- hence the kids fall in love with it, and there is a whole new generation of fans. I can see that trend just continuing on for a very long time to come. At least that was my introduction. My mum made our whole family go to the theater when it was re-released.....ten years ago now. I distinctly remember my dad's lack of enthusiasm.
                I was in the sixth grade when the original Star Wars came out. I had this teacher (Mr. Ginn) who was a huge scifi nerd that all he talked about was how great this new movie called Star Wars was. After finagling with the school, he got permission to take our whole class of about 25 students to the local theatre to see it. That was my first foray into the world of Star Wars. I believe I went on to see it maybe 20 times over the months it spent it the movie theatres. I would go with my brother or some friends and we would stay in the theatre to watch it 2 or 3 times before we left.
                Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                As for making a movie set in the far "future" that definitely would be bold- very gamblesome. Could work, could not. I'd give it a 50-50 chance.
                50/50 is about where I put it at as far weather they ever do another Star Wars movie or triliogy.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I never really got into Chicago's music to much, although I did enjoy Cetera's solo albums. I am a big Heart fan!. I just saw them perform live last week during the VH-1 Rock Honors concert that featured ZZ-Top, Heart, Genesis (with Phil Collins rejoining the band) and the Prince of Darkness himself Ozzy Osbourne. They all performed a handful of songs each spanning there respective careers. And they also had other famous modern bands paying tribute to there music by covering there hits. Alice in Chains with Gretchen Wilson singing did Heart's Barracuda. Check it out if you have VH-1 available, I believe it is running all this week.
                  Took my husband (he is a huge chicago fan) to "An evening with Chicago" for our 25th (!!) anniversary last fall and loved it. Had to laugh, though, at all the bald or gray heads in the audience! last time I saw them was before Peter cetera left.. everyone was lot younger then (myself included). They weren't the same without peter cetera... I love his solo music. And his duets were wonderful too. (owns all peter cetera's solo albums)

I wouldn't say this on any other Trek thread, but it has been my experience that the more mature and smarter Trek fan prefers DS9 over all the other series. There have been a handful of people on this thread over the years that had never seen or had just seen a few episodes of DS9, that started to follow the series on Spike or got a hold of the DVD Box Set's. After sticking with it they all became huge DS9 fans.

Personally I loved DS9 from the beginning. I knew Avery Brooks was going to be the main character (which we talked about earlier) and I liked the new concept of a Trek show being based on a space station as opposed to a starship. After a mediocre season and a half to start the series the show became brilliant and must watch television. I knew then that it had already passed TNG and TOS. As great as all the characters and guest stars were, the writing and directing stands out as well.
                  i would say it on another thread (blunt yankee here ) because I agree with you 110%.... DS9 was a standout from not just trek but all the other shows on tv. So much of TV is dreck that a standout show like DS9 commands my attention again and again. It doesn't matter how many times I have seen an episode, given the chance I watch it!

Comment

I wasn't the biggest fan of any of the "new" generation Star Wars movies. They all lacked that same sense of wonderment and adventure the original films had. That being said, I still enjoyed them and though they contained the best special effects I have ever seen.
                    Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                    As much as I would love to see a new Star Wars set far into the future, I doubt seriously that Lucas would go that way. As far as any new Star Wars movie getting made, I have to agree with you Trek Girl, maybe 50/50.

Comment

i would say it on another thread (blunt yankee here ) because I agree with you 110%.... DS9 was a standout from not just trek but all the other shows on tv. So much of TV is dreck that a standout show like DS9 commands my attention again and again. It doesn't matter how many times I have seen an episode, given the chance I watch it!
                      I'm right there with you Lady Rac. I would definetly give my opinion as to what I believe is the best Trek and what is the worst Trek on any thread on any forum (brother Fifth Race is way to nice a guy to be confrontational).

Right now IMHO I would rank the Trek series as such:
                      1) DS9 - Hands down the best Trek!.
                      2) TNG - Not the biggest Picard fan myself, but I still enjoyed the series a lot.
                      3) ENT - Since I bought all the season on DVD, I have learned to appreciate the show a lot more.
                      4) VOY - Great concept, poorly written with rather lame characters (other than the hologram Dr. and 7 of 9).
                      5) TOS - Brilliant writing, great storylines, horrible acting and almost unwatchable filming and special effects.
                      Last edited by Starbase; 29 May 2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                        I wasn't the biggest fan of any of the "new" generation Star Wars movies. They all lacked that same sense of wonderment and adventure the original films had. That being said, I still enjoyed them and though they contained the best special effects I have ever seen.
                        or maybe it was the audience that lacked the wonder....after all we had already seen the first three

I'm right there with you Lady Rac. I would definetly give my opinion as to what I believe is the best Trek and what is the worst Trek on any thread on any forum (brother Fifth Race is way to nice a guy to be confrontational).

1) DS9 - Hands down the best Trek!
                        2) TNG - Not the biggest Picard fan myself, but I still enjoyed the series a lot.
                        3) ENT -
                        yep Fifth race belongs in the diplomatic core methinks. My order of preference is a bit diffferent from yours:
                        DS9- far and away the best trek!
                        Ent- i didn't feel that it was ever given a real chance.
                        voyager (because it wasn't TNG)
                        TOS (classic is still classic)
                        TNG- it is trek after all.

Comment

or maybe it was the audience that lacked the wonder....after all we had already seen the first three
                          We were smarter back then compared to todays generation. I'm also from the same great generation as brother Fifth and yourself young lady.
                          yep Fifth race belongs in the diplomatic core methinks. My order of preference is a bit diffferent from yours:
                          DS9- far and away the best trek!
                          Ent- i didn't feel that it was ever given a real chance.
                          voyager (because it wasn't TNG)
                          TOS (classic is still classic)
                          TNG- it is trek after all.
                          LOLOL, Voyager didn't even make your list ^5.
                          Sorry about the unfinished list you quoted from me Lady Rac. Here's my finished list:

3) ENT - Since I bought all the season on DVD, I have learned to appreciate the show a lot more.
                          4) VOY - Great concept, poorly written with rather lame characters (other than the hologram Dr. and 7 of 9).
                          5) TOS - Brilliant writing, great storylines, horrible acting and almost unwatchable filming and special effects.

Comment

We were smarter back then compared to todays generation. I'm also from the same great generation as brother Fifth and yourself young lady.
                            LOLOL, Voyager didn't even make your list ^5.
                            Sorry about the unfinished list you quoted from me Lady Rac. Here's my finished list:

recheck my list hun, voyager was third! I just didn't use numbers.
                            I do NOT consider myself a baby boomer... from 1960 to 1964 is known as the Boomlet... and we are very different from our elder siblings (got that courtesy of a sociology class I took) But I will agree we are the greatest generation, more common sense and general oomph than those before AND after!
                            I agree with your comments on voyager (mostly)... I loved janeway- initially she was well written, then the writing lagged and her and chakotay weren't given more than reaction scenes.

Comment

recheck my list hun, voyager was third! I just didn't use numbers.
                              I do NOT consider myself a baby boomer... from 1960 to 1964 is known as the Boomlet... and we are very different from our elder siblings (got that courtesy of a sociology class I took) But I will agree we are the greatest generation, more common sense and general oomph than those before AND after!
                              I agree with your comments on voyager (mostly)... I loved janeway- initially she was well written, then the writing lagged and her and chakotay weren't given more than reaction scenes.
                              Oye Vai, sorry Lady Rac, I wasn't wearing my glasses when I read it originally. Janeway did get better in the second half of the series, I really enjoyed the Janeway/7 of 9 relationship. Harry Kim sort of grew on me as well.

When I said our generation, I wasn't labeling myself or anyone as a baby boomer, I don't like titles, especially that one. We were basically the last generation to grow up without cable television or computers. Anotherwords we spent our time outdoors playing, not holed in a house staring in front of a screen 12 hours a day.

Comment

Oye Vai, sorry Lady Rac, I wasn't wearing my glasses when I read it originally. Janeway did get better in the second half of the series, I really enjoyed the Janeway/7 of 9 relationship. Harry Kim sort of grew on me as well.

When I said our generation, I wasn't labeling myself or anyone as a baby boomer, I don't like titles, especially that one. We were basically the last generation to grow up without cable television or computers. Anotherwords we spent our time outdoors playing, not holed in a house staring in front of a screen 12 hours a day.
                                Sadly that's a fairly accurate assessment of my generation.

Comment

Working...
                                X