No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since brother Fifth is running behind on re-watching season I (thanx to me returning his DVD season I set late ) I will gladly kick it off.....

I know we agreed Fifth that we were'nt going to do every episode but I thinks we should start with the 2 part premiere (Emissary part I & II)

(Emissary parts I & II)
    I found it interesting to find out again the circumstances behind Sisko's wife and Jakes mother being killed. She was killed on the U.S.S. Saratoga during the Borg invasion when Picard was Locutus. Sisko was Lt. Commander where he and Jake were able to get to an escape pod before the ship was destroyed.

Picard was in these episodes I guess to lend credence to the series and to drop off Chief O'Brien after he was transferred to DS9. Sisko has a very tense meeting with Picard where he kind of blames him for the death of his wife. Sisko does'nt really want the job but takes it anyway saying he might retire his commission. Sisko's mission is to make sure Bajora becomes a member of the Federation.

Alot of this episode is introductions to all the new characters and quick glimpses of there personalities. Kai Opuka tells Sisko that he is on DS9 for a much bigger reason than anyone realizes (to become the Emissary for the Bajorans). And Sisko has to find all the missing Orbs after he is given one by the Kai. Gul DuKat comes on the station and tried to convince Sisko to give him the Orb :rollseyes:. Sisko says "yeah right" and declines.

Sisko and Dax go through the wormhole for the first time and are transported 70,000 light years from there galaxy to a planet where Sisko has an encounter with the wormhole aliens and is told of his destiny.

It basically ends where a now mellower Sisko talks with Picard again and tells him he wants the post and will stay on DS9 where Picard is delighted.

Open it guys and girls......I will post back later about my take on this great episode.

Comment

Not a particularly great episode for me. As an opener I think 'The Caretaker' and possibly even 'Encounter at Farpoint' were better. I was so young when I watched this that I can't remember my impressions. I'm sure a lot of it went over my head. I can only offer a few of hindsight really. It's strange to see Picard in it now as Sisko is so established in my mind it doesn't feel necessary now to see him to give strength to the series. What this episode essentially does is introduce us to Sisko and gives us a good introductary background. To see the other perspective of Wolf 359 is interesting and it's quite an emotional begining. I think the opening scene also lays down the darker tone of the show compared to TNG and this is further compounded by the raw state of the station and its Cardassian architecture. We're also introduced to the notion of Sisko being the prophesised emissary of the prophets to the Bajorans which is essentially the overriding theme of the show. There's a lot of feelings and opinions introduced in this opening episode which will be developed and changed as the series went on. Kira is initially furious at the provisional government inviting the Federation to protect them and administrate DS9 and is resentful to Sisko and the rest of the Federation staff. Sisko is far from comfortable at being seen as the emissary and doesn't really believe it himself. The station itself is a dead end boring assigment and is poorly protected and isolated compared to its bolstered position during the war. I think the episode itself serves as more of a platform and spends a lot of time just laying out story and character for the future rather than being a particularly good story in itself.

Comment

^I agree with everything said so far, especially with the last bit above. At the beginning of the episode it's basically, to quote Brother Wolf, "a dead end" assignment and by the end it's, as described by Picard if i remember right, to be one fo the most important scientific and commercial hubs in the Alpha Quadrant.

I have to say, i admired the way Sisko dealt with the whole "Emissary" thing. Especially initially. I think it would make most of us either incredibly uncmofortable or power hungry in some form. He did neither, took it in his stride.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Good points fella's, I failed to mention Kira's mis-givings about the Federation and Sisko. She sure was an antagonist at the beginning.

It's also interesting to see at beginning who TPTB wanted to stick out and who they barely gave any lines to. Kira, Dax, Odo and Quark were fairly prominant while O'Brien and Bashir barely had any lines at all in those early episodes.
          Last edited by Starbase; 19 January 2006, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
            I think the episode itself serves as more of a platform and spends a lot of time just laying out story and character for the future rather than being a particularly good story in itself.

Which is why it is so appropriate a premiere for this particular series. Even though it went through the same growing pains as the other Trek series, DS9 had a clear identity from the beginning and moved slowly but surely into an ongoing storyline. Moreso than any other incarnation of Star Trek, DS9 can be seen as a complete whole rather than being broken down into episode to epsiode or season to season. It has to be looked at from beginning to end in order to be complete. You can't really take one episode and view it by itself (or at least it's rare for an episode to be able to stand completely on its own) as each epsiode always contained at least a little something that had repercussions and insights on the entire series and its characters. DS9 truly is an epic and each episode and each season must absolutely be considered a chapter or section of the whole story. The premiere episode was quite an appropriate and well written prologue for this great epic. The first and last epsiodes can be seen as bookends moreso than on any other Trek series (even Voyager) as both episodes truly did resonate from and involve the entire series.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
              Thanks brother Starbase. (EDIT: and cheers for the green ) You guys are all legends!!

That's a point, only guys seem to visit this thread.... *wonders why*
              Ahem....I am a female too.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knightone
                Even though it went through the same growing pains as the other Trek series, DS9 had a clear identity from the beginning and moved slowly but surely into an ongoing storyline. More so than any other incarnation of Star Trek, DS9 can be seen as a complete whole rather than being broken down into episode to epsiode or season to season. It has to be looked at from beginning to end in order to be complete. You can't really take one episode and view it by itself (or at least it's rare for an episode to be able to stand completely on its own) as each epsiode always contained at least a little something that had repercussions and insights on the entire series and its characters. DS9 truly is an epic and each episode and each season must absolutely be considered a chapter or section of the whole story. The premiere episode was quite an appropriate and well written prologue for this great epic. The first and last epsiodes can be seen as bookends moreso than on any other Trek series (even Voyager) as both episodes truly did resonate from and involve the entire series.

Well said Knightone, I totally agree that the premiere episode was "appropriate and well written" to kick off the storyline. Even though I don't rank it my top 10 episodes, Emissary parts I & II did set the story and series quite well.

I also agree that DS9 had an "identity" from the beginning and followed a theme from beginning to end. But there were quite a few stand alone episodes (especially early on), with that being said, even the stand alone episodes tied in seamlessly with the whole story arc quite well!. This is one of many reasons I and alot of others found DS9 different and seemingly better than any other ST series.

They took a chance with DS9 in that the series was'nt based on a Starship and dealt with alot more species and alien cultures. I was skepticle when I first read the premise for DS9 but that faded fast after watching season I.

Thank you brother Starbase for starting the episode discussion. I will throw out a handful of season I episodes in the next couple days. Please, anyone, feel free to mention any other season I episodes you want to talk about or make a point about.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                  At the beginning of the episode it's basically, to quote Brother Wolf, "a dead end" assignment and by the end it's, as described by Picard if i remember right, to be one of the most important scientific and commercial hubs in the Alpha Quadrant.

I have to say, i admired the way Sisko dealt with the whole "Emissary" thing. Especially initially. I think it would make most of us either incredibly uncmofortable or power hungry in some form. He did neither, took it in his stride.

Good point on Picard emphasizing to Sisko the importance and potential Bajora and DS9/wormhole were to Starfleet my friend!.

Sisko sure did change his tune about DS9 and Bajora after Dax and him had the encounter with the Prophets. Kira sure did warm up to Sisko fast after she found out he was the emissary.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

As an aside as it's not important to DS9, it was a rare opportunity to see Picard deal with his past life as Locutus of Borg. Sisko in a rarely nasty moment kills the tone of the conversation when he says "We met before at Wolf 359", you can see the look of indignation, embarrassment and regret on Picard when he says this. There's still a tension between Picard and Sisko in the final scene but it has thawed and you can see the Sisko has buried the hatchet in his mind. I think Sisko seizing back initiative in his life is the first significant step in his journey as emissary. The discovery of the wormhole sees a rejuvenation in Sisko that is parallel to that of Bajor and their fortunes are inextricably linked from then on.

It takes a while for the Sisko/Kira relationship to develop. In Emissary she only kind of swallows her pride and accepts that with the renewed Cardassian threat the Federation's presence is necessary. I think the first time we see a real bond and respect between them is in Progress where Sisko goes out on a limb for her.

The point about the wholeness or DS9 is a good one but I have no idea whether they set out with the Dominion and the War from the start. I don't think they did as indeed there's not one mention of the Dominion in Season 1. However the absence of a major overarching story line allows character and relationship development.

Comment

Emissary, Parts 1 and 2 are not my favorite episodes, but I do agree they were a good starting point in introducing characters, the tone of the show and how this one would be different from previous shows, and some of the underlying themes that would be expanded on later. I will say I certainly wasn't bored with them.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
                        Emissary, Parts 1 and 2 are not my favorite episodes, but I do agree they were a good starting point in introducing characters, the tone of the show and how this one would be different from previous shows, and some of the underlying themes that would be expanded on later. I will say I certainly wasn't bored with them.
                        Well said, important beginning but again, not my favorite episodes either.
                        Last edited by the Fifth Race; 19 January 2006, 04:51 AM.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

As an aside as it's not important to DS9, it was a rare opportunity to see Picard deal with his past life as Locutus of Borg. Sisko in a rarely nasty moment kills the tone of the conversation when he says "We met before at Wolf 359", you can see the look of indignation, embarrassment and regret on Picard when he says this. There's still a tension between Picard and Sisko in the final scene but it has thawed and you can see the Sisko has buried the hatchet in his mind. I think Sisko seizing back initiative in his life is the first significant step in his journey as emissary. The discovery of the wormhole sees a rejuvenation in Sisko that is parallel to that of Bajor and their fortunes are inextricably linked from then on.
                          Good points, Picard did look completely flustered and a bit embarrassed to face Sisko once he learned what happened. Sisko did change his tune once he visited the Prophets and learned of his calling. You also make a good point when you said "I think Sisko seizing back initiative in his life is the first signifigant step in his journey as Emissary", you put it in perspective very well Wolf!

Originally posted by wolf eire
                          It takes a while for the Sisko/Kira relationship to develop. In Emissary she only kind of swallows her pride and accepts that with the renewed Cardassian threat the Federation's presence is necessary. I think the first time we see a real bond and respect between them is in Progress where Sisko goes out on a limb for her.
                          Kira eventually did become very close with Sisko and I think repected him as a man before as the Emissary.

Originally posted by wolf eire
                          The point about the wholeness or DS9 is a good one but I have no idea whether they set out with the Dominion and the War from the start. I don't think they did as indeed there's not one mention of the Dominion in Season 1. However the absence of a major overarching story line allows character and relationship development.
                          You are correct brother Wolf, I am almost done with season I (2 episodes left and no mention of the Dominion at all. I am not totally sure, buit I don't think the Dominion joins the fray till season III?. Odo and everyone else has no idea where the heck he comes from or if there are other changlings like him.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Sisko sure was cold when talking with Picard, but after meeting with the prophets and finding out he has a higher calling, you could tell that his whole life up until that point had been for a reason. Which in turn he seemed to have lightened up on Picard but he was'nt about to buddy up with Picard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
                              Ahem....I am a female too.
                              *comes back to bite Anubis69 in the ass again * .... Is it hot in here or is it just me?!?!?! I really should stop putting my size 10's in my mouth...

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                              I am not totally sure, buit I don't think the Dominion joins the fray till season III?.
                              Don't quote me on this, cos i only saw the odd episode of S2, but i think someone on here said that there was some sort of alliance or powerful group in the Gamma Quadrant and it was just little hints being dropped? Like i said, i really don't know!

EDIT: I thank Missster.Freeman for pointing a textbook error.
                              Last edited by Anubis69; 19 January 2006, 12:32 PM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I dunno why everyone hates on Enterprise. It's just as good as the other Star Trek series, and season 3 of Enterprise is one of the best seasons of Star Trek, bar none.

I will find myself watching all of them from time to time, from TOS to TNG to Voyager to DS9 to Enterprise.

Comment

Working...
                                X