Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
    DVD Television Box Sets are one of the greatest things to enhance your viewing experience!. I wholeheartedly agree with you about the convienence factor Trek_Girl as well as brother HG's take about being able to re-live the experience of a favorite show again and again.

I have quite a huge collection of DVD's including a hundred or more different TV show Box Sets. Quite a few of the Box Sets are of shows I never bothered watching in there original run because of lack of time, you can only watch so much television. Shows like Lost, Sopranos, Farscape just to name a few were shows that I just couldn't get into until I had the Box Sets where I could watch as much or as little as I wanted in one sitting. I think I went through the first season of Lost in 2 days of marathon television watching because I was able to get immediate satisfaction, instead of waiting for months to find out where the storyline was going. I since have done the same by not watching certain shows in there original run just so I could view them with a whole seasons worth of episodes in hand. I also have noticed that some TV shows like 24 and BSG are putting out individual episodes and seasonal Box Sets immediatly after they are aired.
    That is definitly the way to watch some of these shows- I know I'm waiting to do the same with Lost (but I'm waiting until it's entire run is over- which apparently should only be a couple more years if the producers get their way), and Veronica Mars, and will probably do the same with the previous five season of 24, and am currently doing intermitantly with Six Feet Under, Buffy and The X-Files, and am currently waiting for more Farscape. There's enough on at the moment that it is nice to save something for when there's a dry spell in terms of great TV. And it's just plain frustrating when networks shuffle around their shows (House gets shoved aside for American Idol at this time of year right after the Christmas break, which is maddening to say the least ). And with these serialized shows, marathons are definitly more fun.

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    I have stalled the episode discussion to let Lady Trek and others following the series on the Spike Network catch up to where I left off. Currently Spike is about 1/2 half way through season VI and I left off at the end of season VI. That being said we recently have been jumping all over the chart with episode discussions of the earlier seasons. There are no rules here as far as what you want to discuss brother kmiller, feel free to throw out your take on any episodes from any season or series for that matter.
    Thank you fifth! We've got nine episodes left in season six- tomorrow's is "Inquisition". But I know I'm most excited for Tuesday's ep.

Comment

People may hit me for this, but my favourite show was actually Enterprise. It's closely followed by TNG and DS9, TNG first because of it's crew. I absoloutely LOATHED Voyager, it just pissed me off sometimes. I didn't like Janeway, I didn't like Chakotay, I didn't like Harry Kim, it just seemed so poor in comparison with DS9. It was also a bit too technical and light-hearted at times in comparison with DS9 and other series like Enterprise.

The reason I loved Enterprise was because it reminded me alot of DS9, there was always this sense of urgency and I felt it related alot to the Kirk era too, especially in that they focused on the main three like they did in TOS. I was really pissed off when the cancelled it especially after Season Four which most people would certainly not hit me for saying, was one of the best Trek seasons ever.

Comment

I think i agree with ya Petros. I've seen all of Enterprise. First 1+1/2 seasons were solid-good, but from the middle of 2 onward it got brilliant imo. The Zindi arc was terrific as were all the 2 and 3 part eps in season 4. Great characters too.

I've only watched the 1st 2 seasons of TNG, plus the odd couple of eps and all the movies. Great characters, but they lack flaws and can be a bit perfect.

Also i'm only into season 3 of DS9 atm, and it has started slow, but has picked up from the end of season 2.

Either way im sure all will be great shows once im finished watching them, and will be hard to place in order.

Havnt seen any of TOS, and very little of VOY...
        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I recently bought DS9 all seasons on DVD and have really enjoyed watching every episode, I havent seen a bad episode upto the point I am at.

It really is some top quality writing and acting and not much compares to it ever since IMO. Last night i watched When It Rains and now have to watch the brilliant 'Taking Into The Wind' altough im getting to the final Two parter its definatly been worth watching from start to finish.

Long Live DS9
          STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
          legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
            People may hit me for this, but my favourite show was actually Enterprise. It's closely followed by TNG and DS9, TNG first because of it's crew. I absoloutely LOATHED Voyager, it just pissed me off sometimes. I didn't like Janeway, I didn't like Chakotay, I didn't like Harry Kim, it just seemed so poor in comparison with DS9. It was also a bit too technical and light-hearted at times in comparison with DS9 and other series like Enterprise.
            No hitting necessary Petros and welcome to the DS9 thread, glad you stepped up and posted.

Sure there were some great episodes that came out of VOY, that being said, I do agree with you about the rather lackluster performances by very forgettable characters. It did improve with 7 of 9 joining the show and when the hologram Dr. got his mobile-immitor, but not nearly enough to save the show.
            Originally posted by Petros
            The reason I loved Enterprise was because it reminded me alot of DS9, there was always this sense of urgency and I felt it related alot to the Kirk era too, especially in that they focused on the main three like they did in TOS. I was really pissed off when the cancelled it especially after Season Four which most people would certainly not hit me for saying, was one of the best Trek seasons ever.
            I wasn't a big fan of ENT early on, but when the Xindi storyline came about the show got a lot more interesting. The Xindi and Expansion Aliens storyline did somewhat have a Dominion War feel to it with the sense of urgency and facing a foe with the potential to destroy you. I have since bought the entire ENT collection on DVD and have re-watched a few times and it is definetly better than I remember.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
              Also i'm only into season 3 of DS9 atm, and it has started slow, but has picked up from the end of season 2.

Either way im sure all will be great shows once im finished watching them, and will be hard to place in order.

Havnt seen any of TOS, and very little of VOY...
              DS9 builds up nicely in season III and by season IV when the Dominion War has become imminent there is hardly a dull moment.

As far as ranking the various Trek series I would rank them as such...

1) DS9 .... best characters, best writing, best finish, Trek personified!.
              2) TNG .... another truly great show, a little flowery and stiff for my taste but brilliant none the less.
              3) ENT .... moved up my list a notch, I wish now we would have got a few more seasons so we wouldn't have gotten that botched ending.
              4) VOY .... early seasons were boring, it did improve later on but fizzled with a lame ending.
              5) TOS .... entertaining show, great characters, ok writing. It would have been interesting to see what the show would have looked like if had modern special effects.

Originally posted by bcfc View Post
              I recently bought DS9 all seasons on DVD and have really enjoyed watching every episode, I havent seen a bad episode upto the point I am at.

It really is some top quality writing and acting and not much compares to it ever since IMO. Last night i watched When It Rains and now have to watch the brilliant 'Taking Into The Wind' altough im getting to the final Two parter its definatly been worth watching from start to finish.

Long Live DS9
              Indeed! and good to see you again bcfc. When it Rains as well as Tacking into the Wind are both fantastic episodes
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post

No hitting here! I loved Enterprise as well (and I think it's going to age well), it was my introduction and got me hooked on all things Trek, so it holds a special place in the tv show portion of my heart.

Even if it doesn't on my DVD shelf. Obscenely expensive show.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  That is definitly the way to watch some of these shows- I know I'm waiting to do the same with Lost (but I'm waiting until it's entire run is over- which apparently should only be a couple more years if the producers get their way), and Veronica Mars, and will probably do the same with the previous five season of 24, and am currently doing intermitantly with Six Feet Under, Buffy and The X-Files, and am currently waiting for more Farscape. There's enough on at the moment that it is nice to save something for when there's a dry spell in terms of great TV. And it's just plain frustrating when networks shuffle around their shows (House gets shoved aside for American Idol at this time of year right after the Christmas break, which is maddening to say the least ). And with these serialized shows, marathons are definitely more fun.
                  Smart move Lady Trek, like brother Starbase, who got the idea from muah - I to wait till I can get a whole seasons worth of episodes before I invest my time and energy into watching most (not all) series. If a series is a one and done by being canceled after 1 season I don't bother with it. Lost is a perfect example of being frustrated by the lack of progression week to week. I borrowed the first season of Lost and was able to follow and understand it by watching the entire season over a few days, I did the same for season II. I Tivo'd all the episodes from season I of Eureka before I watched a single episode, I am currently doing the same for Heroes and I will do the same for The Dresden Files. I understand Heroes is pretty good?.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  Thank you fifth! We've got nine episodes left in season six- tomorrow's is "Inquisition". But I know I'm most excited for Tuesday's ep.
                  My pleasure, it should be a shame for you not be part of the episode discussion because you don't want to read any spoilers by accident. It well worth waiting a couple months till it finishes.

Inquistion is a brilliant Bashir dedicated episode (one of his best of the series). It also introduces us to the infamous 'Section 31' and the wonderfully portrayed character named Sloan, who plays an important part down the road in season VII.

Then of course, as I'm sure you are fully aware, we get the mother of all Trek episodes In The Pale Moonlight tomorrow.

Please give us your take on both these episodes when you can, I would appreciate it.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                    I couldn't agree more my fellow Marin Nor Cal friend. This thread has done so much for my knowledge DS9 and Star Trek over-all not to mention some very cool people I have met and become friends with. The image that most non scifi fans have about Trekkies or scifi in general is so deluted and wrong. We are not all wiry nerds with 2" thick glasses that don't know anything about pop culture or aren't hip about anything else, that is in fact, way off the mark.

I noticed after you just got seasons 6 & 7 of DS9 you went immedaitly to the end to watch What You Leave Behind, which like you stated is such an emotional and beautifully written and produced event, of movie quality, like a lot of DS9 episodes. How much of the series have you seen brother Falcon?.
                    Not enough.

Although, Return to Grace in Season 4 was an excellent episode.

How would you guys like it if I used Microsoft Paint to make a picture of Deep Space Nine and the station will be called "Deep Space Nine Superior"? In addition, I can also paint each one of you your favorite ST starship docked at DS9 with your name on it. For example, A Defiant-class ship is docked at DS9 with "Trek_Girl42" painted on its hull.

How's that for an idea?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Falcon View Post
                      Not enough.

Although, Return to Grace in Season 4 was an excellent episode.
                      Return to Grace is a fantastic episode. Great development with Dukat! Some really good character interaction between Kira and Dukat. They have a lot of chemistry together with out going over the top. Fantastic action sequences!. It is a nice set up on why Ziyal comes to DS9
                      Originally posted by Dark Falcon
                      How would you guys like it if I used Microsoft Paint to make a picture of Deep Space Nine and the station will be called "Deep Space Nine Superior"? In addition, I can also paint each one of you your favorite ST starship docked at DS9 with your name on it. For example, A Defiant-class ship is docked at DS9 with "Trek_Girl42" painted on its hull.

How's that for an idea?
                      Oh heck yeah!, sounds cool Falcon of Marin. Show us your stuff.
                      The USS Defiant Rocks!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Smart move Lady Trek, like brother Starbase, who got the idea from muah - I to wait till I can get a whole seasons worth of episodes before I invest my time and energy into watching most (not all) series. If a series is a one and done by being canceled after 1 season I don't bother with it. Lost is a perfect example of being frustrated by the lack of progression week to week. I borrowed the first season of Lost and was able to follow and understand it by watching the entire season over a few days, I did the same for season II. I Tivo'd all the episodes from season I of Eureka before I watched a single episode, I am currently doing the same for Heroes and I will do the same for The Dresden Files. I understand Heroes is pretty good?.

My pleasure, it should be a shame for you not be part of the episode discussion because you don't want to read any spoilers by accident. It well worth waiting a couple months till it finishes.

Inquistion is a brilliant Bashir dedicated episode (one of his best of the series). It also introduces us to the infamous 'Section 31' and the wonderfully portrayed character named Sloan, who plays an important part down the road in season VII.

Then of course, as I'm sure you are fully aware, we get the mother of all Trek episodes In The Pale Moonlight tomorrow.

Please give us your take on both these episodes when you can, I would appreciate it.
                        Section 31! Fantastic! Been wanting more on them since those Enterprise eps.

Heroes is a very fun show- and perhaps a wise move to wait and watch it all at once. It's finally returning tonight after the hiatus.

How's that for an idea?
                        That would be really cool! It would make a neat DS9 superior themed desktop! Great idea!

Comment

Inquisition= awsome ep! Could tell that it had been written by Bradley Thomson and David Weddle without even looking at the credits. Alexander Siddig was fantastic, really is the best Bashir ep yet- I like how it put all his actions into question (great call-back to his imprisonment, his James Bond holodeck programs, really nice way of tieing his character together), and this introduction of another ongoing story. Had pretty much everything I've come to love about DS9: continual storylines, moral ambiguity, great character development.

AndI LOVED Bashir's little teddy bear. That struck me as so Bashir-like.

Comment

Lady Trek and Gentlemen, I bring you the official banner of the Deep Space Nine Superior thread! Enjoy!

sigpic

Comment

Lady Trek and Gentlemen, I bring you the official banner of the Deep Space Nine Superior thread! Enjoy!
                              I love it brother Falcon, it has just the right touch, like a DS9 comic strip. ^5

[/QUOTE]
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I love it brother Falcon, it has just the right touch, like a DS9 comic strip. ^5

[/quote]
                                That is neat, wow. What a picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X