No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Starbase. I've just proudly completed my collection of DS9 on DVD and will shortly be getting onto Season 7. I hadn't see it in years. I kind of avoided the list as I am not good at order, so I'll give a few in no particular order.

Gul Dukat - Absolutely loved him as a bad guy. By no means a black and white character. Very charming manner and a great wit. Had some human qualities like his love for his daughter Ziyal yet at the same time he was a dispicable person. Power hungry, ruthless, selfish and almost racist in his comments at Bajorans when at his most honest. He's a character who was very dynamic too and could adapt accordingly. He went from an important member of Central Command to Chief Advisor to the new Cardassian Civilian government, to disgraced freighter captain, to rebel fighting the Klingons, to chief Dominion collorator, to disintegrated broken man and finally to insane Pa Wraith worshipper. A very complex character with many facets.

Garak - Hm, what can you say? I still haven't figured him out. Hero or villain? Did he ever not tell a lie? Like Dukat he had a great wit. The shrouded past really gives the man an aura of intrigue. What exactly did he do for the Order? Why was he exiled? You never quite knew what motivated Garak. At times he appeared to be fiercely patriotic and at other times fiercely selfish. I particularly enjoyed his interactions with Dukat and Sisko. Both were rare but golden. He was inspired in Pale Moonlight. Very convincing as an alien who followed a totally alien moral code to humans, one which values pragmatism, cunning and subterfuge all of which he was masterful at.

Weyoon - Jeff Combs is a brilliant actor in my opinion. He played 3 totally different characters and I loved them all. Weyoon could be a snivelling obseqious toad in front of the founders or in a diplomatic situation. I loved how he would continously probe for an opening in a diplomatic situation with his false sincerity yet when push came to shove he could deliver a cold threat with a change in his tone and an evil stare. I loved his cynical observations and his no nonsense approach to Dukat's Cardassian multilayered veiled style of speaking.

Quark - Shimmerman, again, a brilliant actor. I don't think one can underestimate the difficultly of acting in all that makeup and mask while conveying those priceless facial expressions he could. Quark provided very intelligent comic relief without being slapstick. Another person who was convincing coming from a totally different moral code to that of humans. His interactions with Odo were priceless. As DS9 went on their chemistry got better and developed into a great pairing. He was also not a black and white character and could come up with unexpected moments of kindness when called upon.

Sisko - I'm a big fan of Sisko. He's not everyone's cup of tea and not everyone warms to Brooks' dramatic style of acting but Sisko is my favourite captain. One feeling I got with him was that no one could ever enter his office in Ops and leave having beaten him in an argument. Brooks had a great way of projecting himself strongly. Sisko could be kind when he wanted but also deliver that hard scolding to his crew when needed. I also liked the development of Sisko as someone who went from being terribly uncomfortable with being the emissary to someone who eventually came to embrace it and do the job well which is why he was choosen to do it I guess.

I liked practically every character on DS9 but I suppose those are my top ones.

Comment

Awesome post Wolf!, I'm glad Starbase asked you to specify.....

Dukat was an very intriguing character that was'nt always easy to figure out. I loved how they kind of made him turn mad, especially after Zehal was killed (brilliant acting!). He was borderline delusional before, he seemed like he actually believed he was saving or doing the Bajourans a favor when he was running DS9 during the occupation. I mean maybe he was to a degree, but he sure did have a Napolean complex!.

Garak was the biggest mystery on DS9 (Odo was before we found out his orgins). "In the Pale Moonlight" (which I and most people deem as one of the best episodes) Garak showed his true colors, sure he was doing it to save Cardassia, but you could tell he enjoyed not only killing Romulans, but putting the screws to Sisko when doing it. Garak was simply great.

Combs was and is the man! IMHO the best Weyoun episode was "Treachery, Faith and the Great River" (season 7) when Weyoun 6 wanted and tried to defect with Odo to the Federation. I actually felt sad after that episode. Fantastic stuff!.

Shimmerman, like Combs was and is the man! nuff said!

I am also a big fan of Sisko and Brooks himself. Have you ever seen the 80's drama TV show called "Spencer for Hire" starring Robert Urich as Spencer the PI?. Brook's played an unforgettable character called Hawk (a fellow PI). Sisko emulated that character in the later season of DS9 somewhat.

Great stuff!....I am going to be starting episode disscussions on this thread soon (not all episodes, but select ones from each season starting on season 1 in the next few weeks). I can't wait for your very informative takes on them Wolf!.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
        Awesome post Wolf!, I'm glad Starbase asked you to specify.....

Dukat was an very intriguing character that was'nt always easy to figure out. I loved how they kind of made him turn mad, especially after Zehal was killed (brilliant acting!). He was borderline delusional before, he seemed like he actually believed he was saving or doing the Bajourans a favor when he was running DS9 during the occupation. I mean maybe he was to a degree, but he sure did have a Napolean complex!.
        I'm still confused. I can't make out if it's a facade he puts out to others or did he genuinely believe he was helping the Bajorans? In Waltz he seems to come out and say he despised them all and should have exterminated them. A fantastic performance by Alaimo btw. The relationship between Sisko and Dukat as hero and villain is great. At times they had to work together but as time went on they became more polarised until it was outright emnity. Dukat seemed very insecure at heart and up until Waltz strove for the respect of his enemies. He particularly seemed to need at least an admission of respect from Sisko and Kira.

Garak was the biggest mystery on DS9 (Odo was before we found out his orgins). "In the Pale Moonlight" (which I and most people deem as one of the best episodes) Garak showed his true colors, sure he was doing it to save Cardassia, but you could tell he enjoyed not only killing Romulans, but putting the screws to Sisko when doing it. Garak was simply great.
        True. You felt like Garak desperately needed an outlet for his talents every now and again. He really enjoyed himself in Pale Moonlight and yeah, I think you are right, part of him enjoyed seeing Sisko getting his hands dirty.

Shimmerman, like Combs was and is the man! nuff said!
        Even the most ardent Enterprise critic cannot help but like Comb's Andorian character Commander Shran. Sadly I think he's been used too many times to ever see him in ST again. He even plays a second Ferengi character!

I am also a big fan of Sisko and Brooks himself. Have you ever seen the 80's drama TV show called "Spencer for Hire" starring Robert Urich as Spencer the PI?. Brook's played an unforgettable character called Hawk (a fellow PI). Sisko emulated that character in the later season of DS9 somewhat.
        Never seen it or heard of it to be honest. I did enjoy Brooks in American History X. In another life he would have made a great fiery Southern Baptist preacher.

Great stuff!....I am going to be starting episode disscussions on this thread soon (not all episodes, but select ones from each season starting on season 1 in the next few weeks). I can't wait for your very informative takes on them Wolf!.
        Cheers, I'd be up for that. I've got a fresh knowledge of everything barring Season 7. People say Season 1 wasn't strong but a couple of my favourites are in there like Duet and Captive Pursuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
          I'm still confused. I can't make out if it's a facade he puts out to others or did he genuinely believe he was helping the Bajorans? In Waltz he seems to come out and say he despised them all and should have exterminated them. A fantastic performance by Alaimo btw. The relationship between Sisko and Dukat as hero and villain is great. At times they had to work together but as time went on they became more polarised until it was outright emnity. Dukat seemed very insecure at heart and up until Waltz strove for the respect of his enemies. He particularly seemed to need at least an admission of respect from Sisko and Kira.
          DuKat was always seeking validation or respect like you mentioned from those who despised him the most in his circle of aquaintances. He really tried way to hard and even used Zehal as tool to gain respect from Kira, greasy meathead!.

Originally posted by wolf eire
          True. You felt like Garak desperately needed an outlet for his talents every now and again. He really enjoyed himself in Pale Moonlight and yeah, I think you are right, part of him enjoyed seeing Sisko getting his hands dirty.
          I used to love when Grarak would try and get Bashir to admit to his inner most desires or demons and gode him into telling lies. I remember he said in an episode while talking to Bashir "You find the truth in one's lies, and the truth is but lie". What a twisted and paranoid way to look at people and life. Whoever came up with the Cardassian race was brilliant!.

Even the most ardent Enterprise critic cannot help but like Comb's Andorian character Commander Shran. Sadly I think he's been used too many times to ever see him in ST again. He even plays a second Ferengi character!
          Sadly, I read that TPTB were going to sign Combs to do season 5 of Eneterpise. Apparently Shran was going to be almost every episode. Maybe a part of the Enterprise crew, considering that he was going to lose his commision because his ship was destroyed.

Never seen it or heard of it to be honest. I did enjoy Brooks in American History X. In another life he would have made a great fiery Southern Baptist preacher.
          If you ever see 'Spencer for Hire' on DVD in rental place, check it out. Great show and seeing Brook's play Hawk is something you would love.

Cheers, I'd be up for that. I've got a fresh knowledge of everything barring Season 7. People say Season 1 wasn't strong but a couple of my favourites are in there like Duet and Captive Pursuit.
          Excellent!, I look forward to it!.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

DuKat was always seeking validation or respect like you mentioned from those who despised him the most in his circle of aquaintances. He really tried way to hard and even used Zehal as tool to gain respect from Kira, greasy meathead!.
            That was very twisted of him alright, though I don't doubt he loved Ziyal a leopard can't change its spots. There's agreat scene in one of the early Season 6 occupation episodes where Dukat sends Kira a dress for a dinner party for Ziyal and she comes to his quarters to throw it in his face. Ziyal hears the fuss, comes out and asks what it was and he gives her the dress telling her it's for her with his usual charm.

I used to love when Grarak would try and get Bashir to admit to his inner most desires or demons and gode him into telling lies. I remember he said in an episode while talking to Bashir "You find the truth in one's lies, and the truth is but lie". What a twisted and paranoid way to look at people and life. Whoever came up with the Cardassian race was brilliant!.
            Another top one from Garak is "Truth is in the eye of the beholder". Bashir was always out of his depth with Garak but his was naive enough at the start not to notice it as DS9 went on he became more cynical and wisened up to him.

Sadly, I read that TPTB were going to sign Combs to do season 5 of Eneterpise. Apparently Shran was going to be almost every episode. Maybe a part of the Enterprise crew, considering that he was going to lose his commision because his ship was destroyed.
            Damnit! Never heard that.

If you ever see 'Spencer for Hire' on DVD in rental place, check it out. Great show and seeing Brook's play Hawk is something you would love.
            I'll take it under advisement.

Comment

Yup, I remember Spencer for Hire. They showed it on BBC1 late at night in the 80s, early 90s. It was a great show, Hawk was my favourite character, the chemistry between Hawk and Spencer was excellent. Hawk was like, from the opposite side of the law, kind of an anti Spencer. Even though they disagreed often, they had genuine respect for each other.

I think I see what you're getting at Fifth Race, the parallel between the later Sisko and Hawk became apparent when he shaved his head and grew a goatee . Looks aside though, I don't think the earlier Sisko would have got involved in that murky business to bring the Romulans into the war.

Right, I'm going to stop posting and lurk for a while. I prefer to read more than post . I'm about to order season 1, so it'll give me some time to watch the episodes. I look forward to reading the episode discussions.

MF
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                Yup, I remember Spencer for Hire. They showed it on BBC1 late at night in the 80s, early 90s. It was a great show, Hawk was my favourite character, the chemistry between Hawk and Spencer was excellent. Hawk was like, from the opposite side of the law, kind of an anti Spencer. Even though they disagreed often, they had genuine respect for each other.

I think I see what you're getting at Fifth Race, the parallel between the later Sisko and Hawk became apparent when he shaved his head and grew a goatee . Looks aside though, I don't think the earlier Sisko would have got involved in that murky business to bring the Romulans into the war.
                Good point's on 'Spencer for Hire' Misster Freeeman especially (with hair) Sisko, he was almost the anti-Hawk.

What I saw Brooks play Sisko, it made me realize that they under utilized him on 'Spencer for Hire', don't get me wrong 'Spencer for Hire' and Robert Urich were fantastic!, great show, but he was'nt as mysterious or scary once they did start giving him alot of lines. They could have gave Hawk his own series after Spencer ended its 4 year run.

Originally posted by missster.freeman
                Right, I'm going to stop posting and lurk for a while. I prefer to read more than post . I'm about to order season 1, so it'll give me some time to watch the episodes. I look forward to reading the episode discussions.

MF
                Sweet, there are alot of great episodes in all the seasons (including season I). It's always better to watch something from the beginning so that you have full understanding as you watch all the preceding seasons. Especially when a show is great!.

Lurk away my friend, but please speak up anytime, you have alot to offer as always MF!.
                Last edited by the Fifth Race; 04 January 2006, 12:23 PM.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

When I saw Brooks play Sisko, it made me realize that they under utilized him on 'Spencer for Hire', don't get me wrong 'Spencer for Hire' and Robert Urich were fantastic!, great show, but he was'nt as mysterious or scary once they did start giving him alot of lines. They could have gave Hawk his own series after Spencer ended its 4 year run.
                  Spencer for Hire was a great show and if I remember right, they did give Hawk his own show after the show ended. They filmed a pilot and few episodes and then shelved it.

Originally posted by the fifth race
                  Sweet, there are alot of great episodes in all the seasons (including season I). It's always better to watch something from the beginning so that you have full understanding as you watch all the preceding seasons. Especially when a show is great!.

Lurk away my friend, but please speak up anytime, you have alot to offer as always MF!.
                  I totally agree!, watching a great series from the beginning does enhance the whole experience.

Comment

Indeed and thanks Fifth Race, no doubt I'll find things I missed first time around and I'll be sure to add my two pence now and again

Originally posted by Starbase
                    Spencer for Hire was a great show and if I remember right, they did give Hawk his own show after the show ended. They filmed a pilot and few episodes and then shelved it.
                    Good spot there Starbase. When I read Fifth's post earlier, I had a picture in my mind of Hawk in his own show, but I wasn't 100 percent sure. He did get a spin off show and it was called 'A Man Called Hawk'. I searched around and found a page in Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_Called_Hawk

Comment

Good spot there Starbase. When I read Fifth's post earlier, I had a picture in my mind of Hawk in his own show, but I wasn't 100 percent sure. He did get a spin off show and it was called 'A Man Called Hawk'. I searched around and found a page in Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_Called_Hawk

Damn I'm getting old at least my memory still works somewhat

Did Brook's have the shaved head when he was Hawk?.

Comment

Damn I'm getting old at least my memory still works somewhat

Did Brook's have the shaved head when he was Hawk?.
                        You're not the only one getting old!

You're correct about Brook's hair, he also had a goatee. It came as a surprise when I first saw him play Sisko with a full head of hair and no beard. I instantly recognised his voice though.

Comment

You're not the only one getting old!

You're correct about Brook's hair, he also had a goatee. It came as a surprise when I first saw him play Sisko with a full head of hair and no beard. I instantly recognised his voice though.
                          Watching his demeanor during those early seasons on DS9 made it hard for me to really like Sisko after watching and very much liking Hawk. I don't remember the goatee but I sure remember the 10" barrel crome played Smith & Wesson .44 magnum he used . Hawk sure liked to dress pimpish did'nt he?.

When Sisko got upset of angry and raised his voice you could definetly see Hawk in him.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Now that you mentioned it, he did also have a goatee, Did Sisko ever have a goatee?, I am blanking out right now on that

Like brother Fifth, I do remember the chrome plated cannon Hawk carried, did'nt he also like to quote poetry and be philisophical?.

Comment

Now that you mentioned it, he did also have a goatee, Did Sisko ever have a goatee?, I am blanking out right now on that
                              I believe he did, hmmmmmm maybe Wolf can confirm it, he has been watching alot more DS9 recently than probably any of us.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

How do you define goatee? I think he has one once the head gets shaved.

Comment

Working...
                                X