Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
    Congrats bcfc, I have all the seasons of all the Trek series on DVD and I watch them all regulary, especially my DS9 box sets.

I whole-heartdedly agree, watching a series you like on DVD has many advantages, from a convinence stand point to being able to watch as much or as little as you want in one sitting--like brother Fifth suggested--much better DVD picture quality, and the very cool "special features" that most all DVD box sets have.

I also agree with you brother kmiller, my appreciation for shows I like, especially DS9, grows everytime I re-watch it. You pick up things you didn't get the first time around, or even the second time around, plus it's like visiting an old friend. I definetly have gotten my money's worth.

As far as DS9 goes I would say all the seasons are worth collecting. Sure seasons 4, 5, 6 & 7 have the Dominion War and some of the very best scifi episodes ever, but the early seasons (1, 2 & 3) have a lot to offer as well. The more I re-watch the early seasons the more I have learned to appreciate them. There were a lot of great stand alone episodes early on, and it's also very interesting watching the characters and there relationships develop. In DS9's case, watching the Garak/Bashir, Quark/Odo, Bashir/O'Brien, Sisko/Kira, Dax/Quark, Jake/Nog, Kira/Dax, Dax/Sisko, Kira/Odo develop early on sets up the rest of the series in a way that you might not understand if you never have seen the beginning and early seasons.
    I might get seasons 6-7 of DS9 this X-Mas. I became interested in DS9 mostly because I wanted to see the cool battles like the Sacrifice of Angels battle and the
    Spoiler:
    Battle for Cardassia.
    The earlier seasons of DS9 I may collect later on, but there are certain episodes that I really didn't like. One is "Children of Time".
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      Why thank you Pitry. Here's to the next 2,000 posts on the superior thread.

Wow I haven't re-watched or thought about this episode in awhile. It has some interesting stuff. In an episode with a split personality, Dax is assigned a Trill "initiate," Arjin (Geoffrey Blake), who she must help guide to the next step in the Trill symbiont-joining candidacy by offering her experience as a joined Trill. In the confines of this same character-oriented episode is a completely inappropriate plot centering around a "proto-universe," which Arjin and Dax inadvertently bring back from the Gamma Quadrant. The proto-universe begins expanding, putting DS9 and (presumably) the entire Alpha Quadrant in danger of being destroyed, an overly large story idea that ends up making relatively little sense.

Sisko decides he can't justify destroying a universe to save his own, so an alternate plan (putting Arjin's flight skills to use) is concocted. The idea of an entire miniature universe with its own civilizations isn't bad in and by itself, and it even brings up some effectively interesting moments to ponder (Sisko's log about the Borg, first and foremost). But some non-addressed questions arise, like, for starters, how returning the proto-universe to "where it belongs" will keep it from expanding and wiping out the Gamma Quadrant (and beyond), and just how Sisko can have the arrogance to make a decision about the "universe" in a mere hour. In any case, the whole premise of pondering the nature of universes doesn't at all belong in this small episode of character interaction, which, in a vacuum, is a good one. The writers supply Dax with some reasonable backstory, with the humorous notion that Curzon Dax was notorious for washing initiates, including Jadzia herself, out of the joining program. ("I'm not Curzon," Jadzia constantly reminds Arjin). The Sisko/Dax relationship is put to good use again with a believable dialog scene. Arjin turns out to be a fairly interesting character, and the dialog between him and Dax is nicely written.

At the very least Playing God was entertaining and made you think, it is one of those overly technobabble episodes that has some light-jearted and funny moments, as do most Jadzia/Sisko episodes.
      I like the episode exactly ebcause it finally gave a hint about Jadziah. She was changed by the joining. She wasn't always half a Curzon - and she isn't Miss PErfect, because she did wash out of the programme for a while. Also, it gives her a personality ion a very distincitve way - the "I'm not Curzon" bit that was, to me, the ongoing theme of the episode. Jadziah does her best to remain an individual, even with the memories of 9 lifetimes- but it is a battle and it is apparent, when you compare her description of ehrself before and after - she does have a lot of Curzon in her.

As for the techbabble... well. I admit I usually roll my eyes at Star Trek techno bable as it is (and I have to say, that having started watching DS9 again after SG1's 200... every time they talk about reversing the pol;arity as a solution - adn god, they do that a lot - I end up bursting into laugther ).
      I don't agree, however, the concept of the proto universe compeltely doesn't belong. It's some sort of an analogy, isn't it? Jadziah is playing god with Arjin's life, and the DS9 crew ends up playing god with a whole universe. The two storiesw do have something in common.
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
        I like the episode exactly ebcause it finally gave a hint about Jadziah. She was changed by the joining. She wasn't always half a Curzon - and she isn't Miss PErfect, because she did wash out of the programme for a while. Also, it gives her a personality ion a very distincitve way - the "I'm not Curzon" bit that was, to me, the ongoing theme of the episode. Jadziah does her best to remain an individual, even with the memories of 9 lifetimes- but it is a battle and it is apparent, when you compare her description of ehrself before and after - she does have a lot of Curzon in her.
        That was the best thing about this episode Pitry, we got a detailed look at how Trill society works and how cool is it that the symbiont goes through various individuals (host's) while gaining lifetimes of knowledge, IMHO, that is very cool!. This was really was the first dramatic episode where Jadzia was able to show some good acting chops. Terry Ferrell (Jadzia) sure is beautiful to look at, but her acting does leave a little to be desired sometimes.

I think she had a lot of Curzon in her because Curzon was the last host before Jadzia and the fact that Sisko was good friends with Curzon.
        Originally posted by Pitry
        As for the techbabble... well. I admit I usually roll my eyes at Star Trek techno bable as it is (and I have to say, that having started watching DS9 again after SG1's 200... every time they talk about reversing the pol;arity as a solution - adn god, they do that a lot - I end up bursting into laugther ).
        I don't agree, however, the concept of the proto universe compeltely doesn't belong. It's some sort of an analogy, isn't it? Jadziah is playing god with Arjin's life, and the DS9 crew ends up playing god with a whole universe. The two storiesw do have something in common.
        LOLOL on Trek techno-babble. Out of all the Trek series DS9 and ENT were the least offensive with the techno-babble. I have been watching some of the Voyager marathon running on Spike this week, you want to talk about techno-babble, some of those Voyager episodes are nonsensical with there techno-babble and plot holes.

The episode was aptly named Playing God, like you mentioned Jadzia plays God with Arjin and Sisko plays God with a whole universe. I do admire Sisko for making a decision himself, not as a Federation Captain or the Emissary, but as Ben Sisko.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by bcfc View Post
          I have seen the entire DS9 saga before but I was only young when it first came out,so I had to watch the repeats on Cable. Thats why I bought the collection, on British tv they dont show DS9 as much as Voyager,TNG and Enterprise,to be honest it hast been on in over a year.

I never really got into the rest, except DS9 so it felt like a wise investment. I suppose i liked it because of the setting and it got away with from the boring exploration from the comfy ships. And it gave a good political view on the different races.
          I agree, I was tired of the same ole Trek formula of a whole show revolving around the crew of a starship. After two series (TOS and TNG) using the Starship formula, Trek needed something new. DS9 allowed for a lot of new storylines that didn't always focus on Starfleet personel. DS9 had a handful of regular characters (Kira, Odo, Quark, Garak, DuKat ...etc... ) that weren't brain washed Starfleet automatons.

Another aspect of DS9 that I really enjoy, is the dark nature most of the series took on. Being on captured Cardassian space station a good distance from any other Starfleet friendly planet with a wormhole that leads to a whole different quadrant doesn't sound like a storyline that lends itself to a very happy, feel good story. The characters were not perfect and never pretended to be, that alone made me a fan.

Like brother Fifth Race said bcfc, feel free to throw out an episode you watched that you liked and want to discuss or had some questions about.

Comment

LOLOL on Trek techno-babble. Out of all the Trek series DS9 and ENT were the least offensive with the techno-babble. I have been watching some of the Voyager marathon running on Spike this week, you want to talk about techno-babble, some of those Voyager episodes are nonsensical with there techno-babble and plot holes.
            Ouch, yes.....and Pity, if you think they talk about reversing polarity as lot in DS9.....then I don't think anything can prepare you for Voyager.....that was like their catchphrase.

Comment

I duinno, I never managed to get into Voyager. It could be the age factor. I've watched the original series with my dad since I can remember myself (reruns, of course), they started showing TNG here when I was about 5, watched that as well, and then they started with DS9 rght as they finshed with TNG. Voyager was't shown here til much much later, adn the little I watched, I didn't like.
              I also suspect I'm becoming less tolerating of techno babble as I grow up I didn't mind it at all when I was younger (spekaing o reversing the polarity, I dind't even notice it til I started watching DS9 again), and hey, I even managed to start and finish Rendezvous with Rama. That's oen feat I doubt I'd have been able to do today.

Ah, who knows.

[quoe]I think she had a lot of Curzon in her because Curzon was the last host before Jadzia and the fact that Sisko was good friends with Curzon.
              [/quote]

Could be. I would have liked to believe that there's a lot of him in her because he was such a dominant person, but I don't think they ever entered into these issues? I remember there was this episode where all her previous hosts come to talk to her, but I can't remember exactly what went on there.

This was really was the first dramatic episode where Jadzia was able to show some good acting chops. Terry Ferrell (Jadzia) sure is beautiful to look at, but her acting does leave a little to be desired sometimes
              Very true. Well, a lot of actors have a problem with the techno babble, and I think a lot of the problems with her generate simply from the fact she's given so little to do other than say techno babble. It's hard to really sound like you know what you're talking about, and that's the main problem with Jadziah I| think, TF comes off as less than an adequate actress because of this. For her credit that's the problem with most science fiction shows, adn why guest actors in science fiction shows usually come out cringe worthy....
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Very true. Well, a lot of actors have a problem with the techno babble, and I think a lot of the problems with her generate simply from the fact she's given so little to do other than say techno babble. It's hard to really sound like you know what you're talking about, and that's the main problem with Jadziah I| think, TF comes off as less than an adequate actress because of this. For her credit that's the problem with most science fiction shows, adn why guest actors in science fiction shows usually come out cringe worthy....
                Yes- you gotta give actors a lot of credit for delivering that technobabble, and a lot of credit for putting up with it.

I actually watched Voyager this afternoon (Dark Frontier Pt I), I hadn't watched it in ages, fairly good ep. I forgot how much, despite all it's flaws, I just enjoy putting Voyager on in the afternoon and collapsing in front of it with my work.

Comment

I duinno, I never managed to get into Voyager. It could be the age factor. I've watched the original series with my dad since I can remember myself (reruns, of course), they started showing TNG here when I was about 5, watched that as well, and then they started with DS9 rght as they finshed with TNG. Voyager was't shown here til much much later, adn the little I watched, I didn't like.
                  I here ya Pitry, I watched all the Trek shows other than TOS in first run and I watched Voyager from beginning to end without really becoming a fan of the show. It never captured my attention or my admiration like TNG and DS9 do. The idea behind the series (being lost in an unexplored quadrant) sounded like a great idea for a series, but it never lived up to its predecessors. The techno-babble wasn't a concern when I watched these shows originally, but like yourself, it became quite silly and rather annoying every time I re-watch it now, and Voyager is by far the King of annoying techno-babble. But it wasn't just the the techno-babble on VOY that turned me off, the series has so many plotholes and uninteresting characters it never found a place in my heart like TNG and DS9 did. That being said, there are handful of great episodes from each season that came out of VOY and when there is nothing else on, like this week, VOY gives me my Trek fix quite nicely.
                  Could be. I would have liked to believe that there's a lot of him in her because he was such a dominant person, but I don't think they ever entered into these issues? I remember there was this episode where all her previous hosts come to talk to her, but I can't remember exactly what went on there.
                  They alluded to Curzon quite a few times throughout the series, usually it was with Sisko reminiscing about past adventures with Curzon. The Dax episode where they used DS9 personnel as temporary hosts for Jadzia to re-visit was Facet's, Great episodes!. Another very good Dax episode was the season 1 episode simply titled Dax, where Curzon is accused of murder to which they want Jadzia to stand trial for, that was another great episode.
                  I know what you mean, you watch these Trek episodes and you can see the actors that make the techno-babble sound realistic and then you have other actors that look like they are "cringing" to just get it out. Jadzia was definitely one the characters I had a hard time buying into the techno-babble, although she did get better in the later seasons. Remember Terry Farrell (Jadzia) was not a classically trained actor, she was a model turned actor.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Just letting everyone know I surived the week. And I don't care what you think, Voyager is a good show.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Davis View Post
                      Just letting everyone know I surived the week. And I don't care what you think, Voyager is a good show.
                      Well of course Voyager is a good show! It is a great show! I didn't
                      see any of the episodes, though. I was busy doing something else.

Anyway, back on DS9 topic. I would LOVE TO SEE QUARK TRYING TO DECORATE A CHRISTMAS TREE! Imagine how frustrated he would get!
                      sigpic

Comment

So, had your fill until next year?

Comment

Oye Vai is this deja vu. Janeway is a hack, Tuvok is as exciting as a Las Vegas telly tubbies show, Tom Paris and Harry Kim are a sad copy of the buddy relationship that Bashir and O'Brien have, Neelix and Kes are the two worst Trek characters ever, Torres is as blase as they come, I can't think of anything good or bad to say about Chakotay/zzzzzzzz and if I hear the hologram Dr and 7 of 9 whine about humanity once more, I might to go postal. Ok I feel better now.
                          That all being said I have enjoyed watching Voyager this last week after avoiding it for years.
                          The USS Defiant Rocks!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06 View Post
                            Well of course Voyager is a good show! It is a great show! I didn't see any of the episodes, though. I was busy doing something else.
                            LOLOL.......I was also busy for those years.
                            Originally posted by Falcon_06
                            Anyway, back on DS9 topic. I would LOVE TO SEE QUARK TRYING TO DECORATE A CHRISTMAS TREE! Imagine how frustrated he would get!
                            LOL, you had to put that image in my head.

Quark is the most Huuuumon hating, butt for a head alien that has ever been on a Trek series. That being said, he would have found a way to get into the mood and profit from it. I'm sure we would have seen Quark wearing a Christmas tree suit with a Santa cap serving spiced egg nog to anyone entering his bar, there would be Dabo girls dressed in slinky red and white costumes, Ferengi waiters dressed like elves and I'm sure they would have got Worf to play Santa.

Comment

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's everyone, I hope you and your families have a safe one and get everything they wish for.

Anyone doing anything unique or fun for the Holiday?.

Personally I am doing nothing but relaxing and spending time with my parents and family.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                                Oye Vai is this deja vu. Janeway is a hack, Tuvok is as exciting as a Las Vegas telly tubbies show, Tom Paris and Harry Kim are a sad copy of the buddy relationship that Bashir and O'Brien have, Neelix and Kes are the two worst Trek characters ever, Torres is as blase as they come, I can't think of anything good or bad to say about Chakotay/zzzzzzzz and if I hear the hologram Dr and 7 of 9 whine about humanity once more, I might to go postal. Ok I feel better now.
                                That all being said I have enjoyed watching Voyager this last week after avoiding it for years.
                                One word:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's everyone, I hope you and your families have a safe one and get everything they wish for.

Anyone doing anything unique or fun for the Holiday?.

Personally I am doing nothing but relaxing and spending time with my parents and family.
                                Happy Christmas all- my unique (and most exciting) holiday event.....My family is getting a new computer. Finally, after using this obsolete old bucket for years. And of course spending lots of time with the family which will be nice. And friend and I are hitting the town on boxing day, by which time I'll be glad to escape said family.

Comment

Working...
                                X