No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah he was pretty loopy around that Science Officer.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      Well that's not true. You see him having a romance with Crusher, Vash and also that Science officer he falls for. He's not too reserved when it comes to romance, he just insists on the proper time and place.
      None of them that ever lasted. Hence my reserved comment
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

A romance doesn't have to last X amount of time (let alone forever) to qualify as a romance.
        sigpic

Comment

It has to last longer than an episode IMO
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I'd count his relationship with Crusher since its more than one episode. Sure there's the episode that they are stranded on that planet, but there is stuff that was already there and was built on in that episode.
            sigpic

Comment

I recently BINGED on Star Trek Deep Space Nine and just like the the first time Iw atched it, Kira and Odo were my FAVES!! lol! Hahahaha!!! Star never gets old for me! LMAO!
              sigpic

Comment

Ok so given this weekend's DS9 theme, I think it's time this thread got a good seeing to again.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I was so happy when I heard that DS9 is going to be the theme
                  sigpic

Comment

DS9 is definitely my favourite of the Star Trek series. Kira has always been my favourite character but I like Odo too.
                    sigpic

Comment

Standing up for DS9:

Playboy article rating every Star Trek episode from all the series

http://www.playboy.com/articles/star...guide-part-one

And my notes:

He has my favorite episode of Trek, the Visitor at 19.

Sorry but DS9 has many excellent episodes and in fact, most of seasons 6 and 7 are better than most of next gen. This list in mainly nostalgia. Episodic television with no arc is as dead as a do-do bird.

In the pale moonlight is a top 20 episode. (they have it at 54). A great episode on the nature of truth and war and necessity.

Far Beyond the Stars is rated at 77. it should be around 25. It is the best thing ever done on Trek about racism and the history of science fiction. Top 15 episode.All the characters are in this dream sequence as sci fi writers from the 1930s. GREAT!

I am up to 138 and there are a lot of season 6 DS9 Eps here.

Can't stop. Spock's brain is way too high.

Episode 195, little green men, a very funny DS9 episode. OMG, it is MUCH better than Spock's brain

later

Comment

Yes, I agree it was the best executed spinoff however it can be argued that it lacks the morality and humanity that Gene Roddenberry created in TOS and his time on TNG. In my opinion DS9 is the best but I feel like it did this with sacrificing some not all but some of Roddenberry's vision. I however do not think that this is a negative at all DS9 is way more than just an entertaining show, it just feels very different to me than how TOS and even TNG made me feel.

Comment

DS9 feels more epic to me, compared to Next Generation. It unfolds like a very long movie, with plenty of time for ordinary people to develop as characters and become heroes. How I felt about Next Gen characters in season one is pretty much how I felt about them at the end. DS9 though - that was full of surprises. I wound up loving the most unexpected people.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auroraclass1 View Post
                            Yes, I agree it was the best executed spinoff however it can be argued that it lacks the morality and humanity that Gene Roddenberry created in TOS and his time on TNG. In my opinion DS9 is the best but I feel like it did this with sacrificing some not all but some of Roddenberry's vision. I however do not think that this is a negative at all DS9 is way more than just an entertaining show, it just feels very different to me than how TOS and even TNG made me feel.
                            These are good points, but I would hesitate to say that DS9 'sacrificed' Roddenberry's vision. I see it more as expanding on it. The humanity and morality are still there, just not as pat as they appeared in the earlier series. In DS9, we see characters struggling with their choices, trying to figure out how to apply their morality in situations encompassing an incredibly diverse group of people and species.

I also think that while TOS was admirable in its drive to promote equality, it had (probably as a nod to its times) the general theme of we'll accept different species as long as they are roughly the same as us. TNG took it a little farther, but still any species or idea that was too different from the Federation was usually cast as either an enemy or an annoyance to be tolerated.

In DS9, we see an acceptance that the Federation's morals are not the absolute answer to everything, and that these species that we had barely tolerated before (Klingon, Ferengi, etc...) all of a sudden were beings operating within a moral structure of their own. We got to see the admirable traits of each species, the internal conflicts that they face, as well as the shortcomings. And the Federation and humanity were treated no differently. I found it a much more realistic treatment of our possible future.

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                              DS9 feels more epic to me, compared to Next Generation. It unfolds like a very long movie, with plenty of time for ordinary people to develop as characters and become heroes. How I felt about Next Gen characters in season one is pretty much how I felt about them at the end. DS9 though - that was full of surprises. I wound up loving the most unexpected people.
                              This! I loved the character development throughout the series, and how their actions later were very definitely colored by experiences from earlier in the series, as well as what had been revealed about their backstory.

Comment

I definitely agree that DS9 was a more realistic depiction of the Star Trek universe, which is one of the main reasons it's my fave Trek series. I especially liked how the series delved into the politics of the Trek universe and how no galactic power was entirely good or bad (except for the Dominion). The Federation isn't all bliss and sunshine with an attempted coup d'etat by Starfleet and the clandestine actions of Section 31.

Comment

Working...
                                X