Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Urban Spaceman View Post
    Thanks, that's not a bad idea overall. He's not a massive action fan, though (he can happily sit through 'mystery' episodes).
    In that case you might want to try Whispers and/or Shadowplay. And Profit and Loss is kind of a DS9 version of Casablanca.
    sigpic

Comment

Since, I was hooked by the end of emissary I would natually say start at the begining. But if the person doesn't want to do that, than I agree with the idea of picking the season 2 finale assuming that they do not know much about DS9. Since that is when you get the first taste of what the Dominion is like (though they are mentioned earlier in season 2).

Jumping to season 7 probably isn't a good idea, since they don't know the characters and at that point a lot of the reason why you cared what happened is seeing each characters journey that led them to being where they are, all the relationships and the events. Not knowing the history of the past 5 seasons dealing with the dominion would also mean that they wouldn't understand why they are fighting unless you massively spoil them.

Can't fairly say it is better than TNG because I've only seen like 20 or so random episodes of it. But comparing the pilots, there is no comparsion. DS9 hooked me by the end of the first episode, where I was really bored with encounter at farpoint.
      Last edited by blueray; 27 April 2013, 07:29 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Myeah, I think I really liked episode 1, too. I loved the stand-off at the wormhole entrance, and how different the Prophets reacted to Jadzia and Ben (and how differently they themselves saw the wormhole). Encounter at Farpoint in comparison just seemed really over-acted—Tasha in particular came across as really unprofessional.

Now I'm itching to watch DS9 again. I think maybe I'll just sit down with my friend and watch through season 2 and subtly point out how awesome it is.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go re-watch episode 1 of DS9...
        Last edited by The Urban Spaceman; 08 May 2013, 12:52 AM.
        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

I really wish after all the exciting things that happened in DS9 we could have had another star trek continuing where they left off in the alpha/beta quadrant.
          sigpic
          The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

I wish that if it was going to be rebooted anyway it would have been rebooted as a TV show, with 22 episodes a year, instead of as a movie with a few hours every four years.
            sigpic

Comment

I'd rather have another show then rebooting a show, especially since I imagine there would be a protest if they remade TOS.
              sigpic

Comment

From what I seem to remember.
                The season 7 finale did leave the series with an open ended finish.
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                  From what I seem to remember.
                  The season 7 finale did leave the series with an open ended finish.
                  DS9 could quite have easily continued without Sisko, but they DID have a very nice ending montage in Vic's lounge.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I'm not saying I wanted it to be rebooted, I'm saying that if it was going to be rebooted anyway I would have preferred a TV series to a movie. And I am assuming that another (unrebooted) Star Trek TV series was never going to happen.
                    sigpic

Comment

So I got my boyfriend into the show, he is almost done with season 1 . But he noticed how certain episodes I remember better than others and for the most part the ones I don't remember aren't very good lol.

It is interesting watching it in order an knowing what happens and seeing accidental foreshadowing stuff, like when Rom and Zek's son tried to kill Quark, Zek tells his son that is why he won't be nagus and never says anything to Rom .
                      sigpic

Comment

Thats because the first seasons aren't very good. However I maintain that part of the reason stories like the Dominion War are so great because of these foundations placed in the early seasons
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

My Star Trek marathon by stardate (first time watching the majority of Trek) is continuing.

As of last night, I've just finished DS9.

I have to say - wow.

I've always enjoyed a dash of Trek, but DS9 has now become one of my all time favourite television shows. It's in my top five alongside Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Universe and The X-Files.

I have absolutely adored the way a proper character based story of politics and war was spun so beautifully over seven series - the perfect continuation of the foundations laid down in TOS and TNG before it. The interaction between characters is unsurpassed in what I've seen in Trek so far. The friendship between Bashir and O'Brian, the development of Nog, Sisko (Trek's greatest commanding officer imo), and the intricacies of alliances and diplomacy.

The finale itself was spectacular, and heart breaking. The montage sequence put a lump in my throat, and to be honest - I felt like *I* had lost someone myself...

Here's to you DS9 - the greatest Trek series (imo) and one of the greatest Sci-Fi shows of all time. A worthy successor to TNG, extending beyond it's original conception, and vastly superior to the overly fluffy Voyager.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

People here might be interested in this - a fan made DS9 Trailer for its 20th Anniversary,

sigpic
                            Banner By JME2

Comment

ok that is awesome! thanks for post.

I love how it jumps from the pilot to scenes from the war with dominion.
                              sigpic

Comment

I've now gotten to the last few episodes of the series. What is the name of the Cardassian who took over for Gul Dukat? I have trouble remember their names (except him and Garak.)

And why do the Breen remind me of one of the bounty hunters from Star Wars?
                                sigpic
                                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                                X