Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Your citizenship doesn't change because you live in another country. Why would a territory be any different?
    I errored.
    What I meant was...if the territory is Cardassian then what business of the Federation is it what happens in their terrirory when those citizen chose to be there? The Cardassians chose to accept these individual on their territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
      I errored.
      What I meant was...if the territory is Cardassian then what business of the Federation is it what happens in their terrirory when those citizen chose to be there? The Cardassians chose to accept these individual on their territory.
      Just because they live in a place under the control of someone else, doesn't mean their home country will allow them to become victims. So just because the Cardassians were given control of former colonies, doesn't mean the Federation will let them become victims.

sigpic

Comment

In the age of replicators and transporters and spaceships and terraforming, I found it totally stupid for the settlers to stay in Cardassian held territory, especially given the history between the Fed and the Cardassians. I understand being attached to your home, but geez. IMHO, they got what they deserved.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          In the age of replicators and transporters and spaceships and terraforming, I found it totally stupid for the settlers to stay in Cardassian held territory, especially given the history between the Fed and the Cardassians. I understand being attached to your home, but geez. IMHO, they got what they deserved.
          I get the feeling that the settlers really didn't understand what they were getting themselves into, despite their claims of going into that kind of a venture eyes open. I think they started to understand the ugly ramifications of their choices when the Cardassians started harassing them. Did they really expect the Cardassians of all people to treat them well? These are the same people who butchered millions of Bajorans and eventually sided with the Dominion.
          Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 21 March 2011, 03:52 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            Just because they live in a place under the control of someone else, doesn't mean their home country will allow them to become victims. So just because the Cardassians were given control of former colonies, doesn't mean the Federation will let them become victims.
            Then why agree to this treaty anyway?
            Isn't there inherit problem to this so called compromise?

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
              I get the feeling that the settlers really didn't understand what they were getting themselves into, despite their claims of going into that kind of a venture eyes open. I think they started to understand the ugly ramifications of their choices when the Cardassians started harassing them. Did they really expect the Cardassians of all people to treat them well? These are the same people who butchered millions of Bajorans and eventually sided with the Dominion.
              Even if they had stayed hoping things would be OK, after the first few attacks, I'd be screaming across subspace for the Enterprise to come get me and my loved ones the hell outta there. I certainly wouldn't be forming a 'resistance' to protect some backwater worlds.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                Then why agree to this treaty anyway?
                Isn't there inherit problem to this so called compromise?
                A country will care about its people before the enforcing of the treaty
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  A country will care about its people before the enforcing of the treaty
                  Both the settlers and the Federation just acted stupidly in this situation.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                    Interesting. Let ask this then - Would the Maquis have been able to survive or protect themselves without any type of Starfleet/Federation assistance (ie. goods, weaponry, medicine, ships ...etc...) . My logic is that if the Federation let the Maquis secede they certainly wouldn't allow them to keep any Starfleet property (pariculary weaponry and ships). Plus as we have seen with Picard and Sisko, Starfleet would try to capture and prosecute any and all officers that try to defect, especially if they take there property.
                    The Maquis probably would have been fine if they had seceded when the Klingon invaded Cardassia. The Federation would allow the Maquis to do what they want and perhaps even offer support if they returned all Starfleet property and if all rogue Starfleet officers were willing to give themselves up.

As for the legal status of the Maquis worlds, I'm guessing that it's a situation similar to Hong Kong and Macau. Both sides probably promised a one country, two systems type of governance but only the Cardassians are unwilling to keep their side of the bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                      Take Me Out to the Holosuite was probably the most hilarious episode I've watch of DS9 so far. The whole Odo practicing umpiring and everyone taunting the first batter saying here batta batta batta and Worf says with the most serious expression, 'Death to the opposition.' lmao
                      Take me Out to the Holosuite is definitely a love it or hate type of episode (I loved it, especially being a huge Baseball fan). And as far as "fluff piece" episodes go, this one is pretty darn good.

I must say it was amusing watching the DS9 crew read over baseball rules, including complex aspects like "the infield fly rule." The subsequent field practice was a little on the stale and predictable side (Rom being as much of an idiot at baseball as everything else, for example), but watching Sisko get so wrapped up in the whole thing was simultaneously amusing and frightening, especially when he kicks Rom off the team for being, well, terrible at baseball.

There are plenty of genuinely funny moments to make up for the ones that come off as staged and trite. Watching Odo practice his umpiring "moves" was fun, and Worf's deathly competitive attitude benefited from a few nicely placed lines like, "Death to the opposition!" (Besides, no one can make the line "We will destroy them" sound half as good as Worf.)
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                        Take me Out to the Holosuite is definitely a love it or hate type of episode (I loved it, especially being a huge Baseball fan). And as far as "fluff piece" episodes go, this one is pretty darn good.

I must say it was amusing watching the DS9 crew read over baseball rules, including complex aspects like "the infield fly rule." The subsequent field practice was a little on the stale and predictable side (Rom being as much of an idiot at baseball as everything else, for example), but watching Sisko get so wrapped up in the whole thing was simultaneously amusing and frightening, especially when he kicks Rom off the team for being, well, terrible at baseball.

There are plenty of genuinely funny moments to make up for the ones that come off as staged and trite. Watching Odo practice his umpiring "moves" was fun, and Worf's deathly competitive attitude benefited from a few nicely placed lines like, "Death to the opposition!" (Besides, no one can make the line "We will destroy them" sound half as good as Worf.)
                        The wonderful irony Rom's lack of coordination is that actor Max Grodénchik is pretty skilled in baseball.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                          The wonderful irony Rom's lack of coordination is that actor Max Grodénchik is pretty skilled in baseball.
                          That's right. Quite a few of the DS9 regulars had a baseball connection whether they were fans or played, including Jake, Ben, Leeta and Nog.

With the start of the season fast approaching, I am in the mood to pull out Take Me Out to the Holosuite DVD to give it a rewatch and hangout with the Niners. I don't know about you brothers CF and Fifth, I want another Championship from our beloved Gigantes. If we stay healthy and add a couple of pieces at the trade deadline, IMO we have a great shot.
                          The USS Defiant Rocks!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

I think it's wonderful that obsession with professional sports could survive into the 24th century. Let it be said that Take Me Out wasn't one of my favorite DS9 episodes...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                              I think it's wonderful that obsession with professional sports could survive into the 24th century. Let it be said that Take Me Out wasn't one of my favorite DS9 episodes...
                              I really enjoyed how Enterprise and DS9 continued to show us the existence of professional sports on Earth, although DS9 made it sound like it was becoming rare where Enterprise it was still the norm. I have a hard time believing sports would ever disappear from Earth. In a future where everyone is prosperous and can pursue their hearts desire and better themselves, sports should thrive!
                              sigpic

Comment

As a hobby, definitely. But you'd think people would have better things to do than watch others engage in sports. What would they play for, if greed no longer exists as a motivator?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X