Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I don't know, I kind of enjoyed that Bajor didn't 'join up' during the run of the show. It was certainly the goal of Sisko's original mission, and probably ought to have happened at the end of the series. But I really liked how it was such a disappointment for the characters when Sisko had to recommend they don't join the Federation, for their own safety. That was a hard choice for his character to have to make.
    I agree at the time of the prelude to the Dominion War that it was an interesting angle but I would like by end of the show for it to happen
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Agreed. I think it might've made a nice little bittersweet note to put into the end of What You Leave Behind, now that I think about it. Sisko's mission being a success, but only after he's gone.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Agreed. I think it might've made a nice little bittersweet note to put into the end of What You Leave Behind, now that I think about it. Sisko's mission being a success, but only after he's gone.
        I never had any illusions that there would be a DS9 movie but Bajor finally joining the Federation would be an integral part of such a story. The way the time line is (minus the Abramsverse), I always assumed that Bajor would naturally move forward with its goal to join the Federation not long after the Dominion War was won.
        sigpic

Comment

The most disappointing aspect to the end of DS9 was the cut and paste battle scenes...WTH...was my immediate thought. It definitely cheapened the ending. Otherwise it was the best ending of a Star Trek Series mostly because it was all it's own...we were all thoroughly invested in Kira and Odo, Dukat/Winn and Sisko. What more could you ask for out of an ending...

At least they didn't pull a Blakes 7 and kill everyone off.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
            The most disappointing aspect to the end of DS9 was the cut and paste battle scenes...WTH...was my immediate thought. It definitely cheapened the ending. Otherwise it was the best ending of a Star Trek Series mostly because it was all it's own...we were all thoroughly invested in Kira and Odo, Dukat/Winn and Sisko. What more could you ask for out of an ending...
            I agree with you about the how moving and well done the ending was. But what the heck was wrong with the those incredibly detailed "Battle Scenes"?. They were still using man-made models and some CGI by the time DS9 ended, and even with that handicap (compared to the FX they have today), those battle scenes were not only amazing, they were emotionally moving as well.
            Originally posted by Saquist
            At least they didn't pull a Blakes 7 and kill everyone off.
            lolol, true.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
              I wanted to save post number 9,000 for this thread.
              Cool and very appropriate brother CF.
              Originally posted by Cold Fuzz
              Here's my personal wish list if there had been an 8th season of Deep Space 9:
              • Kai Opaka's return from the Gamma Quadrant. She did say that her pagh would meet with Sisko's again in the future.
              • The birth of a new, better Cardassia with Garak at the forefront of the rebuilding process.
              • Bajor becoming a full member of the Federation, thus fulfilling Sisko's original mission.
              • Sisko, of course, returning to Bajor to celebrate some badly needed wedded bliss.
              Good stuff!. I especially like the Cardassian angle with Garak (which isn't to far from what RDM and co. had planned). The Bajorans were probably the best thing to come out of DS9, but equally as interesting was learning about the Cardassians and there society.

Comment

I can kind see where he is coming from. By today's standards the VHX for DS9 isn't that good. But the technology was brand new when DS9 was being filmed.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                  I agree with you about the how moving and well done the ending was. But what the heck was wrong with the those incredibly detailed "Battle Scenes"?. They were still using man-made models and some CGI by the time DS9 ended, and even with that handicap (compared to the FX they have today), those battle scenes were not only amazing, they were emotionally moving as well.
                  lolol, true.

There was like a minute of battle footage from Sacrifice of Angles and other scenes...didn't like that at all.

As endings go for Trek What You Leave Behind is the only good one for Trek.
                  Maybe All Good Things if you're being generous but I thought it was a waste and cliche.
                  End GAME SUCKED
                  And the Enterprise ENDING was like Frankenstien's Monster...just cut up and sewed onto Enterprise....awful...
                  I can hear Berman Now after yet another Time Travel story. "IT"S ALIVE!"

While everyone else is in the midst of a Facepalm.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                    As endings go for Trek What You Leave Behind is the only good one for Trek.
                    Maybe All Good Things if you're being generous but I thought it was a waste and cliche.
                    End GAME SUCKED
                    And the Enterprise ENDING was like Frankenstien's Monster...just cut up and sewed onto Enterprise....awful...
                    I can hear Berman Now after yet another Time Travel story. "IT"S ALIVE!"

While everyone else is in the midst of a Facepalm.
                    LOL. I tend to agree with your Trek finale assessments Saquist..... What You Leave Behind from DS9 was beautifully done, and definitely my favorite - That being said there are a few things I would done differently..... I also enjoyed TNG's finale All Good Things - but like you stated it was full of cliches and was a little to discombobulated. I did love the peek into Starfleet's future..... End Game had its moments, but overall it came across as kind of ridiculous..... I'm not even going to mention ENT's finale
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

For as primitive as CGI was when DS9 ended, TPTB did a fine job with the battle scenes. Personally I don't mind seeing a model explode as opposed to a seamless computer generated explosion, it's nostalgic. For that time in history you would be hard pressed to find better FX.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I found that 'What You Leave Behind' tried to do too much. End the war, end the Prophets/Pah Wraiths war... It felt very disjointed to have Sisko switch instantly from the Dominion to Dukat. Not to mention that the whole 'fell in a hole and ascended' thing was done in B5.
                        I never tire of watching 'All Good Things'. It has a great take on time travel: interacting across multiple time periods. Not to mention the cohesive family that the crew had become at the end... As sad as it was to see Sisko and Odo leave, the hope at the end of 'All Good Things' trumps it for me: DS9 all alone in the night vs. the Ent D flying into a beautiful nebula.
                        Last edited by nx01a; 24 February 2011, 03:57 PM.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                          I found that 'What You Leave Behind' tried to do too much. End the war, end the Prophets/Pah Wraiths war... It felt very disjointed to have Sisko switch instantly from the Dominion to Dukat. Not to mention that the whole 'fell in a hole and ascended' thing was done in B5.
                          I never tire of watching 'All Good Things'. It has a great take on time travel: interacting across multiple time periods. Not to mention the cohesive family that the crew had become at the end... As sad as it was to see Sisko and Odo leave, the hope at the end of 'All Good Things' trumps it for me: DS9 all alone in the night vs. the Ent D flying into a beautiful nebula/
                          You're right it was too busy, the war was almost a footnote. It could have been betteer story-boarded. Where we differ is that I found the Dukat confrontation well done.

The truth is I wanted something as Epic as when Kira and Jake shot it out with Prophet powers. That's still an awesome episode...but as it was it was still a powerful ending especially when he didn't return...

Comment

Yeah, the ending of DS9 was a disappointment certainly, but so are most endings, even for shows I love. B5 is one of the few exceptions.
                            sigpic

Comment

I especially like the Cardassian angle with Garak (which isn't to far from what RDM and co. had planned). The Bajorans were probably the best thing to come out of DS9, but equally as interesting was learning about the Cardassians and there society.
                              I wholeheartedly agree my good friend. DuKat almost single-handidly made the Cardassians fascinating. The contradiction that is Cardassian society would on the surface hardly seem interesting, but somehow the writers with DS9 were able to expand upon what TNG started, and make them much more watchable.

If I was to describe a Cardassian - IMHO, a mix of Romulan and Klingon in a reptile package.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                                Yeah, the ending of DS9 was a disappointment certainly, but so are most endings, even for shows I love. B5 is one of the few exceptions.
                                I actually found DS9 and B5's endings to be the most satisfying. TNG, VOY, and ENT on the other hand... well, I'll be kind and say that they weren't for me.

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                                I wholeheartedly agree my good friend. DuKat almost single-handidly made the Cardassians fascinating. The contradiction that is Cardassian society would on the surface hardly seem interesting, but somehow the writers with DS9 were able to expand upon what TNG started, and make them much more watchable.

If I was to describe a Cardassian - IMHO, a mix of Romulan and Klingon in a reptile package.
                                Interesting thing about the Klingons and Romulans: They're certainly not the friendliest people you're going to encounter in the Alpha Quadrant but they adhere to a certain code of behavior that's rather predictable: fierceness and honor for the Klingons and endless stratagems and deception for the Romulans—and yet honorable in their own way too. But if the Cardassians had certain hallmark traits it would be their sadism and cruelty.

I hate to say this but I don't feel too sorry for the Cardassians losing 800 million people at the end of the Dominion War. The ended up reaping a lot of the cruelty that they had sown, especially with them betraying the Alpha Quadrant to the Dominion. People don't take actions such as that or holding Bajor in an iron fist for decades without paying a price for it all.

I've seen too many cruel people in real life spit their verbal venom and pound their fists on bloody faces to feel sorry when those same people end up having their lives blow up in their faces because of their meanspiritedness. I agree with Martok: Some Bajorans would call what happened to Cardassia poetic justice.

Yes, the Cardassian Resistance helped win the war but my goodness as a people they should've known better than to strike that unholy alliance with the Dominion.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X