Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
    The continuity errors that matter are ones that violate important established plot elements like the idea of how Jem'Hadar could never hurt a Changeling. That was big continuity error in DS9 since there have been many situations where the Jem'Hadar fired on a ship that Odo was on.
    It's not really an error given the fact they never knew Odo was onboard. The biggest issue for me, is how the infant Jem Hadar knew Odo was a Founder, but not those who boarded the Defiant during The Search. Although it could be said that recognising Odo's form/the form the Founder took when dealing with Solids after meeting Odo was imprinted into the Jem Hadar and Vorta's DNA but it's still an inconsistency. The rest I wouldn't say are, because they still fired on the runabout after the failed attack on the Founder homeworld, so you'd think Lovak (if I remember correctly) would have given the order to let it go.

But then you'd have missed out on that cool scene with the Defiant decloaking.

sigpic

Comment

Tacking into the Wind

Odo's disease is killing him faster now that he's been changing shape all the time, Worf kills Gowron and declares Martok the new leader of the Klingon Empire, and Damar kills one of his best friends, Rusot, to prove to Kira his newfound devotion to defeating the Dominion, changing his ways, and changing the ways of Cardassia is sincere.

I continue to be extremely impressed with the changes in Damar's character. I was also impressed with Worf's decision to kill Gowron. It's remarkable to note how Sisko told Worf to stop at nothing to eliminate Gowron's threat, similar the devotion he expressed to Garak regarding getting the Romulans in on the war in DS9: In The Pale Moonlight. I also enjoyed Ezri's opinions on the Klingon Empire. I think it really opened up Worf's eyes, and the eyes of many viewers too! Overall, another highly exciting installment of the current arc.

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
        I thought they couldn't hurt a Founder and once the realized Odo wasn't a Founder than it wasn't an issue firing on a changeling considered to be a traitor by the Founders. If that is a continuity error than it is a small and easily explainable one.
        In "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River," Weyoun said that the Jem'Hadar would not be willing to fire on Odo and Odo wasn't considered a Founder.

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
        I think they made the right choice.
        The male firepower on the show was lacking as it was. Many men found Voyager emasculating.
        But Kim's whole purpose on the show was to get whipped. The funniest time was when he had a dream about Seven wanting to have sex with him and then he woke up screaming.

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        It's not really an error given the fact they never knew Odo was onboard. The biggest issue for me, is how the infant Jem Hadar knew Odo was a Founder, but not those who boarded the Defiant during The Search. Although it could be said that recognising Odo's form/the form the Founder took when dealing with Solids after meeting Odo was imprinted into the Jem Hadar and Vorta's DNA but it's still an inconsistency. The rest I wouldn't say are, because they still fired on the runabout after the failed attack on the Founder homeworld, so you'd think Lovak (if I remember correctly) would have given the order to let it go.

But then you'd have missed out on that cool scene with the Defiant decloaking.
        There were two instances when it was forgivable and that was in "The Search" and "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River." In the other times when the Jem'Hadar attacked a ship that Odo was on, like in "The Die is Cast" and the final battle, they should have known.

Comment

In "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River," Weyoun said that the Jem'Hadar would not be willing to fire on Odo and Odo wasn't considered a Founder.
          We do see evidence in DS9 that the Vorta never truly understood the feelings the Jem'Hadar had towards the Founders, maybe Weyoun was partially wrong.

Maybe I'm just easy to placate when it comes to these kinds of things.
          sigpic

Comment

Extreme Measures

A big problem is that Extreme Measures approaches its subject with the completely wrong type of plot. Perhaps some details of that plot are in order. Bashir's plan sort of works; his bait of alleging to have found a cure brings Section 31 to the station to seize the cure. Bashir and O'Brien capture Sloan and isolate him in a room for questioning. It's at this point the story should have turned interesting, with Sloan and Bashir in a room together with little to do but talk. Their initial conversations are actually pretty good, but they aren't permitted to develop to fruition.

Instead, Sloan activates a device in his brain designed for suicide. This leaves Sloan's body dead except for some traces of activity in his brain, which has about an hour of life remaining. Bashir and O'Brien then realize they must use the Romulan mind equipment to connect themselves to Sloan's brain, digging through his mind in a virtual-reality-type situation to find the cure to Odo's disease. As far as I'm concerned, this is simply the wrong story to be telling right now.
            The USS Defiant Rocks!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
              We do see evidence in DS9 that the Vorta never truly understood the feelings the Jem'Hadar had towards the Founders, maybe Weyoun was partially wrong.
              I always got the feeling the Jem'Hadar and Vorta looked down of each other, (obviously they are both extremely arrogant races) - They both worshiped the Founders, but they also had this arrogance about them that NO one other than the Founders were worthy of any attention. The Vorta and the Jem'Hadar also showed disdain for each others race.

The Vorta displayed a loving type affection for there Gods, wrapped around a healthy fear for them as well. - While the Jem'Hadar looked at the Founders as a very strong type entity that just happened to create them. I always got the feeling the Jem'Hadar would be the first to dismiss the Founders as not being Gods and breaking out on there own (as see saw on DS9 with Goran'Agar).
              The USS Defiant Rocks!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                I think there were a number of contributing factors that made this possible. After TNG went off the air, DS9 became the de facto lead show for Trek, despite Voyager being on the air at the same time. I've read that because of this situation, DS9 regularly received more money for sets, special effects, and other production costs than Voyager did. This is was one of many problems with Voyager that made Robert Beltran unhappy in the long run.
                DS9 did not have a very big budget. According to Rene Echevarria, DS9 only had a budget of $2 million per episode.

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                Kim was going to get the axe but then Garret Wang got mentioned as one of the sexy asians on TV, and the producers decided to keep him and axe Kes, instead.
                I really wish they'd kept Kes. Hot psychokinetic Kes alongside hot Borg 7/9... Would have been brilliant!
                That might be a myth. The official reason why they fired Jennifer Lien was that Kes only had a life expectancy of nine years and they couldn't figure out how to wrap up her story.

However, there were a lot of nasty rumors about why Jennifer Lien was let go instead of Garrett Wang. There was a rumor that Jennifer Lien was let go because she rejected the advances of one of the producers. There was another rumor that they decided not to fire Garrett Wang because they didn't want to appear to be racist and Garrett has played the race card. The rumor about Garrett being on the People's most beautiful people list seems to be the most popular.

Comment

However, there were a lot of nasty rumors about why Jennifer Lien was let go instead of Garrett Wang. There was a rumor that Jennifer Lien was let go because she rejected the advances of one of the producers. There was another rumor that they decided not to fire Garrett Wang because they didn't want to appear to be racist and Garrett has played the race card. The rumor about Garrett being on the People's most beautiful people list seems to be the most popular.

I think that's why I tend not to look too much into the behind the scenes things for shows I watch, sometimes it can be interesting, but with so many rumours it can be hard to separate fact from fiction and you might end up spoiling the show for yourself (but maybe that's just me). Also while I know not to believe everything I hear, once you hear it you can't unhear it and it keeps playing in your head (like that Jennifer Lien thing will do now next time I watch the early Voyager episodes)

That's why I avoid celebrity gossip/rumours (well that and many many other reasons), sometimes it can make the shows I watch(ed) seem strange when I see them now (*example: Saved by the Bell)
                  LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
                  Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
                  99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

DS9 did not have a very big budget. According to Rene Echevarria, DS9 only had a budget of $2 million per episode.
                    Then with Voyager getting even less money than that, it would certainly explain a few things about the show.
                    sigpic

Comment

Then with Voyager getting even less money than that, it would certainly explain a few things about the show.
                      I'm not sure I believe Voyager was getting less money then DS9. If anything it probably got more being on network while DS9 only got syndication although I admitt that more unlikely then likely
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

DS9 did not have a very big budget. According to Rene Echevarria, DS9 only had a budget of $2 million per episode. That might be a myth. The official reason why they fired Jennifer Lien was that Kes only had a life expectancy of nine years and they couldn't figure out how to wrap up her story. However, there were a lot of nasty rumors about why Jennifer Lien was let go instead of Garrett Wang. There was a rumor that Jennifer Lien was let go because she rejected the advances of one of the producers. There was another rumor that they decided not to fire Garrett Wang because they didn't want to appear to be racist and Garrett has played the race card. The rumor about Garrett being on the People's most beautiful people list seems to be the most popular.
                        Wow. Both the character and the actor never got any promotions.
                        Wang does seem like, well, a wang for admitting to being late and then throwing around The Race Card, but I suppose only the cast and crew know for sure.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by SpinningChevron View Post
                          I think that's why I tend not to look too much into the behind the scenes things for shows I watch, sometimes it can be interesting, but with so many rumours it can be hard to separate fact from fiction and you might end up spoiling the show for yourself (but maybe that's just me). Also while I know not to believe everything I hear, once you hear it you can't unhear it and it keeps playing in your head (like that Jennifer Lien thing will do now next time I watch the early Voyager episodes)

That's why I avoid celebrity gossip/rumours (well that and many many other reasons), sometimes it can make the shows I watch(ed) seem strange when I see them now (*example: Saved by the Bell)

Amen, I didn't want to know all that...

Comment

I always thought that Wang never got the chance to direct because of general inexperience. Trek was his first job that really meant anything, while others had previous experience in TV and theatre, in non director roles. Roxann Dawson had already directed something outside Star Trek before she got the chance, and has since turned it into a second career, as did Frakes, and McNeill.

I don't think anyone should play the race card because they don't get the chance. Mulgrew and Ryan didn't direct, they didn't play the gender card and Beltran didn't play the race card. If Wang really did want to direct, he should have gotten experience outside the show.

sigpic

Comment

Voyager was the newer show and you can't expect newer shows to get the same budget as shows that have proven themselves.

I also find it a bit hard to believe that Voyager got the shaft considering how Voyager was favored by Rick Berman and he was pretty much in charge of the entire Star Trek franchise.

Plus Voyager was on the air for two years after DS9. They would have gotten bigger budgets by them

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                              Wow. Both the character and the actor never got any promotions.
                              Wang does seem like, well, a wang for admitting to being late and then throwing around The Race Card, but I suppose only the cast and crew know for sure.
                              Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              I always thought that Wang never got the chance to direct because of general inexperience. Trek was his first job that really meant anything, while others had previous experience in TV and theatre, in non director roles. Roxann Dawson had already directed something outside Star Trek before she got the chance, and has since turned it into a second career, as did Frakes, and McNeill.

I don't think anyone should play the race card because they don't get the chance. Mulgrew and Ryan didn't direct, they didn't play the gender card and Beltran didn't play the race card. If Wang really did want to direct, he should have gotten experience outside the show.
                              It's funny how Beltran never played the race card considering all the Native American stereotypes they had in Voyager. They even had him say the line, "Trapped on a barren planet and you're stuck with the only Indian in the universe who can't start a fire by rubbing two sticks together."

Also, Avery Brooks, Michael Dorn, and Alexander Siddig all got to direct.
                              Last edited by Giantevilhead; 03 December 2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I took the line hopefully in the irony it was intended. It's not like Harry said that his favourite food was rice or noodles, or Travis wanted watermellons and for chef to fry some chicken. I saw the writers trying to engage with Native American culture as best they could. Could they have done it better? Should they have done it at all? Look at DS9 and the way Sisko had African art on his walls and wore African attire without it being given long, drawn out explanation.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X