Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carl View Post
    I completely agree - the darkness of DS9 was brilliant and really gave you the impression that this was the front line and not the comfy cosy Federation and Starfleet we'd come to know. It's a shame they didn't carry that onto Voyager - although I love the series it was scrubbed too clean again.
    yeah they should have continued it with voyager but both series were great
    sigpic
    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

I completely agree - the darkness of DS9 was brilliant and really gave you the impression that this was the front line and not the comfy cosy Federation and Starfleet we'd come to know. It's a shame they didn't carry that onto Voyager - although I love the series it was scrubbed too clean again.
      So clean that it smelled of disinfectant..... Stranded out in space with hostile species- that show should have been darker. Seven years of being stuck on that ship and there was virtually no infighting.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        Seven years of being stuck on that ship and there was virtually no infighting.....
        Strong moms have been holding families together forever. Stay with a single mom who has a bunch of kids sometime. The good ones are tough, controlling, decisive and able to move mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
          Strong moms have been holding families together forever. Stay with a single mom who has a bunch of kids sometime. The good ones are tough, controlling, decisive and able to move mountains.
          When one has 180-something children.....one would think that there'd be a few more.....disturbances- we got what? That guy who loved violence? Seska? And 7 of 9 and B'elanna being frustrated with each other?

If only we all lived in the utopian world that Voyager was.

We didn't even see any fights over the holodeck- which definitly should have happened.

Comment

The Dark edge was definetly a big plus, but even more than that are the not so perfect characters on the show. DS9 actually deveolped more regular characters that were non-Federation/non-Starfleet than any other series, and they also didn't portray every Starfleet officer or personel as squeaky clean, which in turn made the characters easier to relate with and appreciate.

Comment

When one has 180-something children.....one would think that there'd be a few more.....disturbances- we got what? That guy who loved violence? Seska? And 7 of 9 and B'elanna being frustrated with each other?
              So true and well said, Janeway seemed so out of her element. Voyager had so many plot holes and extremely forgettable characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                So true and well said, Janeway seemed so out of her element. Voyager had so many plot holes and extremely forgettable characters.
                Absolutly- thank goodness for The Doctor! The sad thing is that it's just so inconsistant- it would be very dull for a long while, all of a sudden a stellar episode would show up, then it would go right back to being dull again.....

Comment

Absolutly- thank goodness for The Doctor! The sad thing is that it's just so inconsistant- it would be very dull for a long while, all of a sudden a stellar episode would show up, then it would go right back to being dull again.....
                  The Hologram Dr. and 7 of 9 were really the only memorable characters from that show for me personally, and they were both great Trek characters!.

The door was opened with DS9 but Voyager reverted back to the flowery, Roddenberryesque type Trek universe. The whole concept of Voyager lend itself to a perfectly dark type storyline if they had chosen to go that way.

Kate Mulgrew was not original choice to play Captain Janeway, I cannot remember the actress they originally hired but they actually shot the pilot with the first actress, but she backed out without giving a reason, so they brought Mulgrew in last minute and obviously re-shot the pilot.

Comment

Voyager did have promise, but sadly, some storylines were never realised or resolved too quickly. That is not to say Voyager didn't have its moments. "Learning Curve" is still one of my favourite episodes. It was a shame they never continued the conflict between the Maquis and the Federation crew, it would've made Voyager all the more better to watch. It seems that at the time, most of the creative thought was going into DS9.

Geneviève Bujold was originally cast to play Janeway. She did a few screen tests, but suddenly quit. I'm still not sure why though. Maybe decided she couldn't commit to a show for seven years.
                    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                      Voyager did have promise, but sadly, some storylines were never realised or resolved too quickly. That is not to say Voyager didn't have its moments. "Learning Curve" is still one of my favourite episodes. It was a shame they never continued the conflict between the Maquis and the Federation crew, it would've made Voyager all the more better to watch. It seems that at the time, most of the creative thought was going into DS9.
                      Learning Curve.....was that the one at the end of season one with Tuvok running the boot camp? I really liked that episode.

Just saw "Looking for Par'mach in all the Wrong places" Great ep! Couldn't stop laughing. Though Kira and O'Brian.....wow that was awkward. Loved Quark in this one, and loved the ending where everyone was showing up in sickbay. Poor Julien.

Comment

The very beginning with the Maquis being incorporated into the crew.. they could have gone into that a lot more in Voyager. Source of a lot of good conflict! Instead they all forgot about it in about 3 episodes and forged ahead...

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Learning Curve.....was that the one at the end of season one with Tuvok running the boot camp? I really liked that episode.

Just saw "Looking for Par'mach in all the Wrong places" Great ep! Couldn't stop laughing. Though Kira and O'Brian.....wow that was awkward. Loved Quark in this one, and loved the ending where everyone was showing up in sickbay. Poor Julien.
                          Yep, that is the one.

That is a great episode. I loved the look on Worf's face when Grilka kissed Quark. He looked disgusted LOL! Poor Worf. He thought he was in with a chance, but alas, she preferred a little orange man over a proud warrior.
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                            Yep, that is the one.

That is a great episode. I loved the look on Worf's face when Grilka kissed Quark. He looked disgusted LOL! Poor Worf. He thought he was in with a chance, but alas, she preferred a little orange man over a proud warrior.
                            Oh yeah that was a great scene
                            sigpic
                            Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Great episode!, one the highest rated DS9 episodes from season 5. The awkwardness between O'Brien and Kira was a very interesting twist in the storyline that will continue. We also saw the beginning of the Dax/Worf relationship as well.

I have a feeling Quark is going to grow on you a lot more Lady Trek. His screen time grows in the later seasons and his character keeps getting better and better.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                                Does anybody else feel DS9 was the most superior and best written show of all the Star Trek genre's?. I truly loved all the ST shows (I even learned to like Enterprise eventually). TNG was second favorite (Picard and Data are two favorite Star Trek characters).

The storyline and character development of DS9 was outstanding. The way the series unfolded over it's 7 season run leading up to Dominion war (basically seasons 6 & 7) was must watch television.

This thread is an all purpose Star Trek thread with an emphasis on DS9, we talk about and cover all Trek television series and movies in great detail. The core group of regulars are very knowledgeable and friendly. Please feel free to join us.
                                Yeah, I definately agree. They had some of the best storys. Trials and Tribblilations was awesome along with the one about the small ship.
                                Christopher H.
                                Stargate Atlantis Fan
                                WebSite Owner: Excellent Credit Cards

Comment

Working...
                                X