No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are people older than me on the internet? Oh thank god, I love you guys so much. I'm sick of being the oldest when it comes to half the **** I do online. This thread just keeps on giving.

sigpic

Comment

Resurrection

I wouldn't say I was bored, but... It takes a while for the story to get where it's going, and most of what happens in the story can be predicted well in advance. I don't mean to say that the predictability is a bad thing, because it does seem like a natural outcome of the characters' actions. At the same time, there are other ways this story could've been handled.

Bareil's betrayal is understandable given he is a thief. But given his experience with the orb, the creators could've given this guy another way out rather than having him admit defeat, accept his fate, and beam back to the mirror universe with the Intendant once Major Kira finds him out (they could have done so much more) By returning him to where he came from seems a little pointless. An hour of slowly constructed setup to a payoff that comes up way short. It could've been much more interesting to examine some long-term possibilities.

Intendant Kira's scenes are wonderful as usual. The shallow version of Kira is just so much fun to watch. Nana Visitor is wonderful as usual, playing the dual roles in a way so that it would be obvious to know which is which, even when she's dressed in Major Kira's uniform and not using spoken dialog. The smug, sultry, in-your-face narcissism is very entertaining and somewhat annoying.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
        Invasive Procedures2x04
        "Invasive Procedures" is another one of those episodes with brilliant aspects and blatant flaws. Its finished form is enjoyable, with an interesting concept and some quality acting on the part of the antagonist. Sisko is also done well here, and Brooks brings a cunning, underhanded performance to life to match John Glover's awkward and socially inept Verad. But a contrived premise and some questionable directing doesn't secure it a lofty seat next to DS9's finest hours.
        Flawed indeed. Basically the whole premise to this episode is contrived, transparent and somewhat ridiculous (did I over-state that) . The ridiculous part being that Quark bypasses station security and unwittingly allows these mercenaries to board the station.

That being said, parts of this episode are very strong with excellent characterizations. The portrayal of a confidence-lacking Verad is rather brilliant. Equally brilliant was the interesting blend of Verad and Dax. Sisko was strong as usual, especially as he tries to reason with the new blending.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I know at our age, Birthdays are better forgotten. So I will ignore the fact that it's your Birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
            Flawed indeed. Basically the whole premise to this episode is contrived, transparent and somewhat ridiculous (did I over-state that) . The ridiculous part being that Quark bypasses station security and unwittingly allows these mercenaries to board the station.

That being said, parts of this episode are very strong with excellent characterizations. The portrayal of a confidence-lacking Verad is rather brilliant. Equally brilliant was the interesting blend of Verad and Dax. Sisko was strong as usual, especially as he tries to reason with the new blending.
            Isn't pretty much all of television contrived? Their is a reason real life doesn't unfold like television. Its boring
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Isn't pretty much all of television contrived? Their is a reason real life doesn't unfold like television. Its boring
              Indeed. Although I meant it was "contrived" in the context of the DS9 storyline, I wasn't comparing it to real life or the Star Trek time-line. The timing and order of some of these episodes (whether there good or not) leaves something to be desired (sometimes, not always).
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                There are people older than me on the internet? Oh thank god, I love you guys so much. I'm sick of being the oldest when it comes to half the **** I do online. This thread just keeps on giving.
                I lol'd.

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post

Indeed, this is one of those episodes that has enough good to (just by a bit) outweigh the bad for me. That's what a 6-6.5 range in my reviews usually means -- you just barely beat out the bad parts, but you've got some glaring issues.

Yeah, but there's a difference between things, like Brother Fifth stated. Besides, by any standards whatsoever, Quark ought to have been thrown in a holding cell for six months while Odo glares at him.
                If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I lol'd.

Indeed, this is one of those episodes that has enough good to (just by a bit) outweigh the bad for me. That's what a 6-6.5 range in my reviews usually means -- you just barely beat out the bad parts, but you've got some glaring issues.

Yeah, but there's a difference between things, like Brother Fifth stated. Besides, by any standards whatsoever, Quark ought to have been thrown in a holding cell for six months while Odo glares at him.
                  Quark should have been thrown into a holding cell in Emissary. The amount of crimes he got away with is baffling
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Yeah, 45 really isn't old. Happy birthday, etc.
                    I second that.

Comment

Quark should have been thrown into a holding cell in Emissary. The amount of crimes he got away with is baffling
                      I agree. If it was anyone else he'd be doing 15-20 in the New Zealand penal colony, but they needed him as the "community leader." The character probably was needed for the conflict on the show that the other Trek series didn't have.

Comment

Happy birthday, 5th! I had my 30th 2 months ago... *sigh* You're powerful and dignified! Enjoy it!
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                          I agree. If it was anyone else he'd be doing 15-20 in the New Zealand penal colony, but they needed him as the "community leader." The character probably was needed for the conflict on the show that the other Trek series didn't have.
                          Leader shouldn't be excluded from crinimal punishment. Like a certain Detriot mayor who was thrown into jail
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Ah, the glories of Deep Space Nine. No other Star Trek show can claim to have a main character who can be compared to a Detroit mayor!
                            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

2x05
                              "Cardassians"

"I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences."
                              -Garak

Well gee, welcome back, Garak. After a single-episode encounter quite early into the first season, you've gone missing for far more episodes than you should have. Unsurprisingly, his presence alone secures this outing a spot on the positive end of the spectrum. But well beyond even plain, simple Garak's timelessness, "Cardassians" is really an episode that fires on all cylinders and doesn't let go.

As Bashir and Garak enjoy their most recent encounter at the Replimat, quickly reminding us how ridiculous it is that we've had to wait this long to see them together again with witty exchanges and undeniable chemistry, a young Cardassian boy is seen arriving alongside a middle-aged Bajoran man. Intrigued by this pairing, Garak attempts to introduce himself to the child, but is met with a fierce bite to the hand and the equally-threatening glare of his adoptive father.

Not moments after Julian races to inform his commander of the event, none other than Gul Dukat wishes to speak with Sisko. Unsurprisingly, it's about the boy: Dukat insists with a great attempt at sincerity that the child is yet another example of the horrors of the Occupation's conclusion, and that the child is needed in order to aid the noble Dukat in his valiant effort to make the civilians in charge of the evacuation pay for what they have left behind. It was around this point that I was thinking to myself how it sure would be nice to see the talented Marc Alaimo and his Cardassian character return to the station for a few scenes, and having forgotten this would happen later on in the episode, I was quite pleasantly surprised. Alaimo has such stage presence, and there has never been a Cardassian who has looked better in that military attire than Dukat.

Matters grow increasingly complicated in a well-executed manner as accusations are flung to and fro, and Rugal, the child, is taken from the care of his Bajoran adoptive father after one such accusation insinuates child abuse. This touchy subject is only one of several sophisticated themes presented in "Cardassians": we also see multiple examples of racism and we're made to see the vast loathing of all Cardassians by the Bajoran survivors. There are many things to love about this episode, not least of which is Chief O'Brien's blatant racism and realization of it. Keiko actually steals a scene here in which she reprimands her husband for his statement on Cardassians, and this sets into motion a believable partial redemption of the man's issues.

Bashir and Garak never miss a beat, and when the latter's enigmatic insistence that the duo visit Bajor takes place, Bashir's subsequent request for a runabout and Sisko's comedic reaction is great for a laugh. Once on Bajor, more evidence is presented that Garak is far from plain and simple, and it's handled in the usual no-questions-answered style that intrigues plenty of fans, Bashir included. Amidst a fount of strong dialogue, there's a very powerful little side note at a relocation center the two visit for further information. Two Cardassian children, upon seeing Garak, are led to believe they can finally go home to Cardassia; indeed, as their hearts sink when they're told that's not the case, the moment is emotional. Later, Garak remarks to Bashir that children without parents have no place in Cardassian society. This episode excels in that it both deepens the three-dimensionality and good people of the Cardassian race and also emphasizes its darker aspects.

But it's not so dark as to be villainous, the Cardassian outlook on family as everything. At this point in the episode, Dukat has long since informed Sisko that Rugal's father has allegedly been located, one Kotan Pa'Dar, high-ranking politician. When Pa'Dar arrives on Deep Space Nine, O'Brien and he have a little chat before his son is presented before him, and in the course of their conversation, a striking line is heard from the boy's father:

"On Cardassia, family is everything. We care for our parents and our children with equal devotion. In some households, four generations eat at the same table. Family is... everything. And I have failed in my responsibilities to my family."

It's become increasingly obvious as the episode goes on that we're learning a lot more about Cardassian culture than we've been treated to in the past. This dialogue snippet works well to show us the positive side of the coin in relation to how this race views members of a family, and as I said before, paves the way for a brilliantly three-dimensional, open-to-interpretations kind of people.

Cornered by Bashir into explaining some of his thoughts on the ordeal, Garak informs the good doctor of just how strange it all is. Dukat lost his job as Prefect of Bajor when Cardassian politicians decided to leave the system, and yet now he's on a crusade to 'save the children' and reunite a son with his long-lost, politician father? (By the way, Dukat's 'for the children!' bit toward the end is just classic, because as the girlfriend pointed out, no one in the history of ever who says that kind of thing on-screen ever truly means it.) Revelations pour in as Proka, the Bajoran adoptive father, and Pa'Dar, the father-by-blood, agree to Sisko as arbitrator in deciding who gets custody of Rugal.

Dukat arrives at the station and the Bashir-Garak Party (TM) unveil the truth: Dukat and others alongside him are using Rugal to undermine Pa'Dar; eight years ago, an officer under Dukat, then the commander of Terok Nor (DS9), brought a four-year-old Rugal to be raised by Bajorans, with the plan now set in motion to later retrieve him and use him as a political tool. For the first time in the series, I'd like to add, we begin to see the depth of Dukat's scheming and ambition.

The decision at the end of the episode to give custody of Rugal to Pa'Dar is something I'm not 100% sure I agree with, but then, I might have found myself saying the same thing if he'd been made to stay with Proka. Sisko and O'Brien both present as Rugal is taken from the station is a smart move on the part of the writers; all three men gathered here are fathers, and the two Starfleet fathers exchange an unmistakable look.

"Cardassians" is an exemplary effort, and it's one of the best, if not the best, world-building episode yet. It proves what DS9's most compelling assets are, at least in these first few seasons: complex political and allegorical tales woven together by the cloth of intrigue.

And yes, that was a Garak pun.

Rating: 8.5/10

Comment

Resurrection

I appreciated some of the small story points, like the use of Quark as the always-open-eared barkeep whose dialog with Bareil offers some insight into Bareil's identity problem. A subsequent scene between Kira and Quark is also intriguing, highlighting Kira's clouded judgment where Bareil is concerned while simultaneously demonstrating the observant skill Quark has for understanding a person who enters his establishment.

Resurrection is a reasonable but an ultimately forgettable episode that supplies few surprises or developments. It's a stand alone piece that has no lasting significance. I'm not saying it's bad, but it isn't particularly great either.

Comment

Working...
                                X