Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sons of Mogh

This one's been coming for a while. We all knew Kurn sat on the high council and would be ejected after Worf offended Gowron. Now we finally get to see the the result of Worf's decision and the effect it has on his family. Additionally, there's an interesting subplot in this episode regarding the Klingon minefield. I rather enjoyed watching Kira and O'Brien flush the quail. Overall the episode is still pretty average, just like the last, but in my opinion quite a bit more exciting and moving. It seems season 4 is the season of transitional episodes!

Comment

A glass of warm milk, and an episode of DS9 a night keep the closet monsters at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
        A glass of warm milk, and an episode of DS9 a night keep the closet monsters at bay.
        lol, unless of course it's an episode with the Kai Winn in it.

I find myself going to my DS9 box-set DVD collection the most when I need a scifi fix.

Comment

Sons of Mogh

A suprisingly moving Worf episode that wraps up an arc that began in TNG's third season. Worf's brother Kurn returns asking his brother to help kill him. Being the 'honorable' Klingon that Worf is he agrees but when stopped by his Federation buddies he realizes he was wrong. The episode is yet another tribute to Worf's outstanding character development. He may be a Klingon in his heart but there's denying he believes in the Federation. Its heartbreaking that Kurn tries again and again to end his life. But it doesn't compare to the devastating ending when Kurn's memory is erased and Worf no longer has any family. I also loved the B-plot involving the Klingon mines.

Comment

Originally posted by Weyoun View Post

I find myself going to my DS9 box-set DVD collection the most when I need a scifi fix.
            Or Dukat or the female Changeling or well DS9 had no shortage of villians
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Or Dukat or the female Changeling or well DS9 had no shortage of villians
              Very true, but none of those "villains" puts the fear in me like Winn Adami does. That being said - DuKat's megalomania combined with his seemingly inherent evilness makes him pretty darn scary. Also the female Changelings utter contempt for solids is very scary as well.

Comment

Very true, but none of those "villains" puts the fear in me like Winn Adami does. That being said - DuKat's megalomania combined with his seemingly inherent evilness makes him pretty darn scary. Also the female Changelings utter contempt for solids is very scary as well.
                Winn has this serenity about her when she talks that gives the impression she cares. But beneth that. The female Changeling is kind of opposite in evil. She is just plain cold to everyone who has a solid form.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

LOL, amen brother Weyoun.
                  Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Winn has this serenity about her when she talks that gives the impression she cares. But beneth that. The female Changeling is kind of opposite in evil. She is just plain cold to everyone who has a solid form.
                  If you meet Winn on the fly and don't know her, she does come across as very polite and even pleasant. But fortunetly we got to see the "behind the scenes" and real Winn.

The female Changeling was cold personified!. She was steely, mean and so driven that she was very scary in her own way.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                  Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                    LOL, amen brother Weyoun.
                    If you meet Winn on the fly and don't know her, she does come across as very polite and even pleasant. But fortunetly we got to see the "behind the scenes" and real Winn.

The female Changeling was cold personified!. She was steely, mean and so driven that she was very scary in her own way.
                    She's a bit like my school teacher.

Comment

Asscension

Ah another Bajoran religion episode. Its one of those you love them or hate them. Thier isn't much middle ground. It really depends on how much you like the Emissary story arc. Although its kind of hard to imagine not liking that storyline given how crucial it is in the final two seasons. Anyway if Destiny was about Sisko acknowledging that he is the Emissary then Asscension is Sisko accpeating his fate and that this role has a specfic purpose to it.

Because by Ascension even though Sisko is the Emissary he is still uncomfortable with the role and wishes. Enters the ancient Bajoran (whose name I can not pronunce) projecting Sisko with a scapegoat from his Emissary role. Why he has the best of intentions this ancient Bajorans turns Bajor back to the dark ages with them returning to caste system known as the D'Jarras. And we watch through Sisko's eyes as these people tumble into an archaic system climaxing in when a vedeck kills a man who belongs to a wrong D'Jarra. This is politic stories done right. We see the people struggle and provoke interesting question about whats right about the Bajoran people. But it doesn't go too far like many stories of this nature do when writers get preachy.

It makes you interested when Sisko and the ancient Bajoran visit the Prophets in the wormhole. While I thought they answered who the Emissary is a little to easy you have to love how they just pose even more questions when they say we are of Bajor. Sisko is of Bajor. What does that mean? Well obviously since I have seen the whole series I know what it means but at this point its a fun mystery

The B story is plain hilarious. O’Brien and Bashir are like overgrown children. And while the pregency of Keiko is a very important plot point and arc that is not the point of the arc. The point isn’t even Miles returning to married/paternal life. It’s a deeper insight into the O’Brien/Bashir friendship. It shows just how important being friends with one another means to O’Brien and Bashir and how lonely they get if they aren’t able to have recreation with each other. I kind of laugh at Keiko casually getting those two to hang once again. Honarble mentions go to the joke about telling Worf that Keiko is pregnant.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Bar Association

Let it be said, "Bar Association" is far more entertaining and humorous than most Ferengi shows. It has a certain zip and pleasantness that was painfully absent in "Prophet Motive" and "Family Business." But, nevertheless, "Bar" is still just another Ferengi Comedy Episode--fairly diverting and occasionally worth chuckling at, but thin and generally devoid of any real substance. I'll rank a tad below "Little Green Men."

The plot, is nothing much -- it centers around Rom finally getting fed up with his brother's nonstop exploitation of both him and the bar staff. Advice from O'Brien (who had a famous ancestor who was a "union man" in the early 1900s) prompts Rom to create a union, and Quark suddenly finds himself in a sticky situation with both Captain Sisko and the FCA (Ferengi Commerce Agency) breathing down his neck to resolve the situation. The plot is merely a clothesline to hang the silly gags. Though not all of them work, a number them do.

Let's start with the ones that work. There's the idea of Quark using holographic images of himself to run the bar. I don't know why, but there's just something inherently funny about Quark talking to Odo in the foreground while three other Quarks walk around in the background. (Maybe it's the subtlety of the humor that's appealing.) The scene also features another one of Odo's hilarious double takes.

I also got a good laugh out of Worf and O'Brien's "brawl" - which ends with Bashir being hurled over a table and all three of them thrown into a holding cell. Sisko's reaction to his officers brawling on the promenade is equally amusing and appropriate: he lets them spend the night in jail. Sisko's subsequent action--persuading Quark into negotiating an end to the strike (by blackmailing him with huge back payments on his bar lease)--is a load of fun. The notion is so...Sisko.

Brunt, the FCA guy (Jeffrey Combs, reprising a stupid role from "Family Business") who threatens Quark with bodily harm unless he ends the strike, has a couple of heavies who make an unlikely comic duo in the goofily witty scene where the two play darts using each other's chests as the targets. This is simply zaniness at its best--it works magnificently.

Of course, the funny moments (and I think I covered most of them worth mentioning) are at the mercy of the usual Ferengi-show shortcomings of (A) lots of Ferengi gathering to discuss profit strategy (who is it that thinks putting a dozen Ferengi in a room together is funny by definition, anyway?); (B) Quark and Rom shouting at each other in their usual sibling rivalry cliched manner; (C) Max Grodenchik overacting in virtually every scene - making Rom look as dumb as ever, even though we know different
                        The USS Defiant Rocks!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                          LOL, now that sounds like the life. Always good to see you around around brother Davis, especially in such a good mood.
                          For some reason Del Taco and Star Trek: Voyager does that to me. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
                            Voyager and tacos have a somewhat less pleasant aftermath for me
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Voyager but not DS9. You heretic
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Dude, that's like... the best combo ever. You couldn't do more better then that.

Comment

Working...
                                X