Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossfire

This is a rather simple episode. There's not much plot here, but that's not the episode's purpose. What is "Crossfire"? (Well, besides an episode with a somewhat misleading title that sounds like an action/adventure outing?), it is, in a word, "pleasant." The story was written by Rene Echevarria, who worked with Ronald D Moore in writing "Rejoined." And while this story is not as captivating as "Rejoined" was, it does have some great character moments and well-written dialogue scenes.

The plot (what little of it there is) is based around the arrival of First Minister Shakaar. He has come to the station to negotiate with Federation representatives regarding Bajor's entrance into the Federation. But with rumors of an assassin on board, Odo and his staff become the secret service, making sure everywhere Shakaar moves about the station is clear of danger. While on the station, Shakaar begins spending time with Kira, which begins to really get to Odo; he suddenly has to return to facing the reality that he's in love with Kira, and can't bear to see her with someone else.

It doesn't sound like much, but "Crossfire" is a very well-executed character story that takes a rare glimpse at the softer side of the usually curmudgeon-like Odo. Virtually all the credit goes to the performance of Rene Auberjonois, who does a wonderful job of looking distracted, confused, and anguished over his rather unwelcome situation. There are a few standout moments in "Crossfire" where we can, for one brief second, understand that Odo does have the capacity for a full range of humanoid emotions. It's the discretion of those emotions that disappears here.

Take the scene where Shakaar reveals to Odo his feelings for Kira. Kira isn't even aware that she's caught Shakaar's eye, thus Shakaar doesn't know if the possibility exists that they could get together. So he talks to Odo about it, which puts the shapeshifter in a rather uncomfortable position. Odo stays in character; revealing nothing to Shakaar that indicates his feelings, yet the audience can see Odo's pain as clear as day.
    The USS Defiant Rocks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
      Lifes been good, right now I'm just relaxing, playing videogames, watching Star Trek, and eating chips.
      LOL, now that sounds like the life. Always good to see you around around brother Davis, especially in such a good mood.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Crossfire

Crossfire's best scene is not anything that includes Odo talking to Shakaar or even to Kira. The creators wisely fall back on the always-reliable camaraderie-in-code between Odo and Quark. After Odo destroys his quarters in rage over his situation, Quark gives him some advice on his troubles. Yet, Echevarria keeps Quark plausibly in character by disguising his concern for Odo's feelings behind the usual seemingly self-serving priority of his own profits. (And I like the "manhunt pool" angle. It seems...appropriate.) Quark hasn't seemed as sincere as he does in this scene in a very long time. This is the Quark we saw in the earlier seasons.

Crossfire is a welcome rarity in that it features a character story without a forced action or jeopardy premise - Even the show's one moment of jeopardy (the falling elevator bit) is more of a character issue since it deals with the fact that Odo's distraction causes him to make mistakes in his job. This shows faith in the characters' ability to get us through the show on their own. Kudos to Echevarria.

On the other hand, I would have liked a little more discussion concerning why Shakaar is on DS9, other than to fall in love with Kira. His visit concerns Bajor's entrance into the Federation, which is not a lightweight subject by any means. Limiting the topic in this episode to, seemingly, throwaway lines is a mistake - probably the only really glaring flaw in this episode. I like the fact the creators still acknowledge this aspect of the series.

This is intended as a character outing, not a political development, and on its intentions it delivers. Still, I'll have to admit one thing about this thread. Quark has a fitting line: "I don't care if you and Kira end up living happily ever after or not; I just want to see the situation resolved." I must say that I feel the same way, because topics like this that encompass entire A-stories should be few and far between on DS9. Fortunetly "Crossfire" resolves this, and with some dignity.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I love the new Ensign Sito Jaxa avatar brother Fifth. What a great smile she has.

Comment

Return to Grace

This is another DS9 episode that falls into the "good but not great" category. Although there's nothing that jumps right out as a hands-down terrific - it does display a valuable virtue: a noteworthy consistency in the writing.

This episode once again pairs up Kira and Dukat to solve a problem despite their past differences. And while this works generally better than it did in Indiscretion, there are still a few missed opportunities here, and the situation does not always feel quite genuine. In essence, "Return to Grace" has a strength that also proves to be its weakness: It deals with a smorgasbord of small but relevant issues. This is good in terms of continued overarching storyline development and thoughtful drama. This is faulty in that it throws all of these issues into the mix, exploring every one just enough to spark some reasonable interest, but not enough to turn any of them into something as compelling as they could have, and probably should have, been.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
              Return to Grace -- This is another DS9 episode that falls into the "good but not great" category. Although there's nothing that jumps right out as a hands-down terrific - it does display a valuable virtue: a noteworthy consistency in the writing.
              There are a lot of pieces to this episode, most of them work pretty well to a degree. Again, this could've been more than it was had it carried more overall depth, but in terms of seeing a broad canvas of material important to the series as a whole, "Return to Grace" is quite satisfactory.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                There are a lot of pieces to this episode, most of them work pretty well to a degree. Again, this could've been more than it was had it carried more overall depth, but in terms of seeing a broad canvas of material important to the series as a whole, "Return to Grace" is quite satisfactory.
                It's something of a funny tradition on Star Trek that people keep stealing Klingon Birds of Prey. This episode is an homage to Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home in many ways, in fact. Not only is a Klingon Bird of Prey stolen, but there's even complaints about Klingon technology being odd! I was glad to see Dukat as a "good guy" in this episode. In fact, his actions for the most part were downright honorable (can you say schzophrenic) .

The ending was somewhat pleasing; Ziyal is now a resident of DS9 thanks to Dukat declaring a private little war on the Klingons and Dukat thanks to some convincing from Kira, doesn't want his daughter involved in it. While the episode is nice, there's little else to redeem it, making it a fairly average transitional episode.
                The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                  Return to Grace -- This is another DS9 episode that falls into the "good but not great" category. Although there's nothing that jumps right out as a hands-down terrific - it does display a valuable virtue: a noteworthy consistency in the writing.
                  How the mighty have fallen. Once in a position of prominence and power on Cardassia, now Dukat is the captain of a lowly freighter ship. Don't worry, he'll soon be more powerful and back to his oh so evil ways soon enough.

There has always been a great sexual tension between Gul Dukat and Kira. He knows it, she denies it. The evidence has never been more clearer than this episode. He is fascinated by her and along with his rampage against the Klingons he asks her to join him. Of course she denies it but she remains somewhat curious. Scene after scene is Dukat trying to woo Kira with her time after time rejecting him, but it is played brilliantly. We also has Ziyal coming to DS9, Damar's debut. and of course even more development for the ever changing Dukat.

Comment

Originally posted by Weyoun View Post

There has always been a great sexual tension between Gul Dukat and Kira. He knows it, she denies it. The evidence has never been more clearer than this episode. He is fascinated by her and along with his rampage against the Klingons he asks her to join him. Of course she denies it but she remains somewhat curious. Scene after scene is Dukat trying to woo Kira with her time after time rejecting him, but it is played brilliantly. We also has Ziyal coming to DS9, Damar's debut. and of course even more development for the ever changing Dukat.
                    No. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Dukat may have a thing for Kira but she definitly doesn't feel a thing. Dukat is responsible for the Occupation to Kira. Despite his claim that he was helping the Bajorans no one really believes that. Dukat was responsible for numerous crimes and horrors against the Bajorans. Kira could never like someone like that. I remember an interview from Nana Visitor where she says Dukat is Hitler to Kira
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      No. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Dukat may have a thing for Kira but she definitly doesn't feel a thing. Dukat is responsible for the Occupation to Kira. Despite his claim that he was helping the Bajorans no one really believes that. Dukat was responsible for numerous crimes and horrors against the Bajorans. Kira could never like someone like that. I remember an interview from Nana Visitor where she says Dukat is Hitler to Kira
                      Yup, I've seen that too. Throughout the entire run of the show, Nana Visitor was adamant that there should never be any kind of romantic or sexual relationship between Kira and Dukat.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sons of Mogh

This is a well-written human story about purpose and duty, highlighting how the problems between the Klingons and the Federation are affecting individual lives, specifically those of the sons of Mogh.

Tony Todd (Kurn), who delivered a wonderful performance in "The Visitor" earlier this season, delivers again as the brooding, dead-spirited Klingon. He has a quiet, low-key way about him that is effective in displaying how alone his character feels. Worf is able to give Kurn one more mission, which links to the episode's B-story, involving some mysterious explosions along the Bajoran space borders. When a Klingon ship is severely damaged by one of these explosions, Kira, commanding the Defiant, tows it back to DS9 for repairs. Meanwhile, Worf figures out that the explosions are tests of a minefield the Klingons have been laying out. Minefields are illegal, and would be a problem if the Klingons were to declare war on the Federation. DS9 and Bajor would be cut off by the Klingons.

Sisko wants the damaged ship secretly searched for the data of the mine locations. This is where Worf and Kurn come in. Posing as members of the damaged vessel's crew, they beam in and gather the data. But not before a botched confrontation with an officer aboard the ship that results in Kurn killing him, and Worf questioning whether his Klingon instincts have become dulled over the years - In this respect, the episode is also a good Worf show. He begins to finally realize that because of the path he was forced to choose, he may never have the chance to return to the Empire. It's a personal tragedy considering what he went through to restore his honor way back in TNG's fourth season, only to have it destroyed again because of Gowron's hostile intentions. For that matter, "Sons of Mogh" also explores why Worf chose to oppose Gowron in the first place--not just because of his duty to the Federation, but his duty to the Empire. A war between the Federation and the Empire would likely have the Klingons on the losing side. So by protecting the peace, Worf protects everybody, but at a personal cost. This is good stuff!
                        The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Bar Assocation

The A plot of Quark's employees going strike can be looked at on two angles. One interesting and other boring. Which is why I have mixed feelings about this episode. The first angle can be Rom and him taking charge. Too many times Rom was seen as a stepping stone for Quark and other people to walk over. So I like seeing him take charge and grow a backbone. Its fun seeing Rom fight for his rights to be treated with some decency. Its different but I really like it as its a massive change for Rom character and shows his breaking point and that he is more then a punching bad. Really fun seeing Rom becomes his own man especially when he joins Bajoran Engineering.

The other angle is Quark's response and the FCA interveening. I find Ferengi society unrealstic and laughable. The notion that these people go this far for profit at the expense for people's rights is beyond humorous. And for that matter I just don't care how the strike against Ferengi guidelines and what the FCA was going to do to end it. Although I wouldn't object to Brunt being beat up by Nasscuains as well as Quark.

I really like the B plot of Worf continueing to fitting in on DS9. Its one thing I liked about it. He didn't blend in. He a very rough start on the station. To the point of getting angry at Odo to particpating in a bar fight at Quarks. Although one thing that did bother me is we found the reason behind the fight or why he went into the bar in the first place. Its also nice to shows the serialized nature of DS9. Thier is no happy ending for Worf in adjusting. He draws himself further into isolation by locking himself in the Defiant not adjusting to life on DS9 like the B plot suggested. Maybe Dax was right. He is in love with the Defiant
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Sons of Mogh

Tony Todd (Kurn), who delivered a wonderful performance in "The Visitor" earlier this season, delivers again as the brooding, dead-spirited Klingon. He has a quiet, low-key way about him that is effective in displaying how alone his character feels. Worf is able to give Kurn one more mission, which links to the episode's B-story, involving some mysterious explosions along the Bajoran space borders[/quote](Using the stolen data, Kira auto-destructs the Klingons' minefield) True, this B-story is hardly climactic, but like Return to Grace, it's just another example of the Klingon presence starting to brew in a plausible manner--bigger things are likely to happen down the road, so for now this is perfectly adequate set-up material.

But Kurn is still a dead soul. In his own eyes, by siding with Worf and killing the Klingon officer, he has only dishonored himself further. Still, it's reassuring to see that Kurn understands why Worf has chosen the path with the Federation. But Kurn has nothing. He no longer belongs anywhere. This leads to Worf's and Dax's solution: Erasing Kurn's memory and giving him a new family and identity. This solution, unfortunately, just doesn't sit quite right in terms of the show. Granted, it does have an emotional impact concerning Worf (when the erased Kurn asks Worf if he is part of his family, Worf's response, "I have no family" really hits home), yet it seems too easy a solution for Kurn under the circumstances. It would have been more dramatic if the writers had come up with something a little less "sci-fi" and a little more dependent on a choice by Kurn. Is there really honor in abandoning one's identity? How is this different from killing oneself?

Objections to the ending aside, this show does a wonderful job of reevaluating Worf's position on DS9. It shows the kinds of sacrifices and consequences that make him an unsung hero and helluva a character! It also shows how the breakdown of the Klingon/Federation treaty has repercussions, without the obviousness of violence and death. Great episode.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Bar Assocation
                              I got brothers Starbase and USS Defiant coming over tonight to re-watch Bar Association. We always have a good time with Ferengi episodes.

We are also going to give the Warehouse 13 season premiere a viewing tonight as well. I meant to ask you what you thought about it brother jelgate?. I have heard good and bad things. We also have Eureka and Haven premiering tonight as well Have you heard any scuttle-butt about these 2 shows tonight?
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                                I got brothers Starbase and USS Defiant coming over tonight to re-watch Bar Association. We always have a good time with Ferengi episodes.

We are also going to give the Warehouse 13 season premiere a viewing tonight as well. I meant to ask you what you thought about it brother jelgate?. I have heard good and bad things. We also have Eureka and Haven premiering tonight as well Have you heard any scuttle-butt about these 2 shows tonight?
                                Its typical Warehouse 13. Think the MacPherson season finale mixed in with an artifact finding episode. Thier were a few problems with it. Claudia go on my nerves at the end but overall I had fun and laughed at a few things I shouldn't have. The normal banter between the show's characters. I don't watch Eureka and I haven't heard much abou Haven. I am trying it later tonight
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X