No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh yes, the infamous IKS Rotarran. There are quite a few very good to great DS9 episodes (I believe there were at least 12 or 13 episodes involving the Rotarran). A few that come to mind are --
    Sons and Daughters - where it was realized that Bekk Alexander Rozhenko forgot to erase the battle simulation program from the sensor display, which set-off a call to battle stations LOL.
    I loved how the DS9 version of Alexander started to develop from that episode. He went from the bumbling idiot to the good luck charm that the crew respected. Plus it also helped develop Worf a bit more, because he had never fully been able to relate to Alex, as Worf had embraced his heritage, but Alex himself focused more on his human side until the war, so as time went on he started to become more of a father to him.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      I loved how the DS9 version of Alexander started to develop from that episode. He went from the bumbling idiot to the good luck charm that the crew respected. Plus it also helped develop Worf a bit more, because he had never fully been able to relate to Alex, as Worf had embraced his heritage, but Alex himself focused more on his human side until the war, so as time went on he started to become more of a father to him.
      I agree, well saidl brother Saber. - Having Alexander suddenly back in Worf's life does indeed further develop Worf's character building. Sons and Daughters successfully conveys the sense that Worf was at least partially at fault for not having been present when his son needed him, rather, he claimed his life as a warrior versus Alexander's as a non-warrior as a basis for deciding their lives would simply be incompatible. Alexander's repressed anger toward his father for constantly "sending him away" when he was younger certainly has a strong basis for its existence.

At the same time, the story also realizes that Alexander's young age still gives Worf time to be the father for Alexander now more so than in years past. The story's payoff is the best part of the episode -- When the time comes that Worf and Alexander come to a reconciliation - Worf as a father who will teach his son the warrior's path, and Alexander as a son who has finally opened himself to the possibilities of his father's way of life - it is quite touching.
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

/\/\/\ Great posts you two /\/\/\

I enjoyed Alexander and Worf being reunited, but a lot of this episode falls flat. The "Daughters" part of Sons and Daughters, with the renewed relationship between Dukat and his daughter proves interesting with there character play. Ziyal's difficulty in finding direction in life makes sense given her difficult past. And the fact that she's lost without purpose on Bajor is reasonable, especially considering her father is leading a war against the Emissary of the Prophets. So Dukat talks to her and they come to a reconciliation of their own. Which was nice, although Ziyal comes across as a rather hallow character in this episode.

Comment

I liked the character of Alexander better when he was in DS9

In STNG it always seemed like alexander was resisting his fathers attempts to teach him about klingon culture/being a warrior so inevitably other characters like Troi would pitch in and worf would end up accepting his son as what he was instead of making him go along without whatever klingon tradition. IMO it always seemed like klingon culture/tradition was being rejected in favour of a more 'civilised' federation viewpoint. it was also like alexander was a human midget pretending to be a klingon.

DS9 continued that whole 'worf wants his son to be a warrior but alexander isnt really suited to the role' theme that existed on from STNG but i think they managed to portray it better in one episode than STNG ever did as they showed the whole klingon culture being embraced rather than rejected and imo the episode also left the viewer with the sense that father and son had reconciled and accepted one another but were still a little awkward and would have to work at things a little more before being entirely comfortable in with one another which was more believable than the sudden acceptance that usually occured at the closing of STNG episodes

Also the episode had Martok in it. I think that Martok may be my favourite character, hes certainly the reason i started watching the show. Even when hes not being Martok hes still great
          Quietly, so as not to alarm anyone, she began to go insane

Comment

Originally posted by rien View Post
            IMO it always seemed like klingon culture/tradition was being rejected in favour of a more 'civilised' federation viewpoint. it was also like alexander was a human midget pretending to be a klingon.
            lol, funny, but also slightly offensive. You could almost say the same thing about Nog (Aaron Eisenberg), who was in fact a 24 year old man playing a young teenager when DS9 first debuted. He had me fooled, I would have guessed he was about the same age as Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko), who was 15 years old when DS9 debuted.
            Originally posted by rien
            Also the episode had Martok in it. I think that Martok may be my favourite character, hes certainly the reason i started watching the show. Even when hes not being Martok hes still great
            Martok was really the first Klingon character, other than Worf, I wanted to root for. Don't get me wrong I find the Klingon's absolutely fascinating, but both Martok and Worf are on another level of cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
              lol, funny, but also slightly offensive. You could almost say the same thing about Nog (Aaron Eisenberg), who was in fact a 24 year old man playing a young teenager when DS9 first debuted. He had me fooled, I would have guessed he was about the same age as Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko), who was 15 years old when DS9 debuted.
              Martok was really the first Klingon character, other than Worf, I wanted to root for. Don't get me wrong I find the Klingon's absolutely fascinating, but both Martok and Worf are on another level of cool.
              I have only the vaguest memory of when DS9 was first shown on tv but i was still fooled by Aaron Eisenberg when i got the series on dvd until i watched all the behind the scenes stuff. Also Aaron Eisenberg is supposed to be five-foot which makes him taller than me so i couldnt possibly say the same about him though in regard to alexander the midget part of that sentence was meant to remain in my head unfortunately my brain will type anything when its sleep deprived

though im pretty sure that Aaron Eisenberg hunches in on himself for the first couple seasons then in the later ones stands up straighter
              Quietly, so as not to alarm anyone, she began to go insane

Comment

Originally posted by rien View Post
                I have only the vaguest memory of when DS9 was first shown on tv but i was still fooled by Aaron Eisenberg when i got the series on dvd until i watched all the behind the scenes stuff. though im pretty sure that Aaron Eisenberg hunches in on himself for the first couple seasons then in the later ones stands up straighter
                I was aware of how old Aaron Eisenberg was before DS9 first aired because I read all the bio's of the cast members. But I was still fooled on occasion at how well Nog played a teenager (sure the make-up and his stature helped), but he still managed to pull it off beautifully. It did seem like Nog and most of Ferengi walked around hunched over. I think that was more of a Ferengi thing than a Nog thing.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

DS9 Season 1 Episode In the Hands of the Prophets

Inside and Background Information
                  As noted by Sisko, this episode takes place seven months after the events of "Emissary".

Shooting "In the Hands of the Prophets"This episode relates to the debate in American schools about the teaching of Evolution and Creationism in science classes. Specifically, the plot has parallels with the Scopes Trial.

This is the first episode of Deep Space Nine to deal with the Bajoran religio-political system, something which would become increasingly more important as the series progressed. Writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe based this system on fifteenth and sixteenth century Catholicism, when the Pope was much more of a political figure than he is today, and different 'orders' all vied to have their candidate installed as Pope. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion) This system can perhaps be most clearly seen in action in the second season episode "The Collaborator".

In relation to the overriding theme of this episode, Robert Hewitt Wolfe has said, "I have a serious objection to people trying to impose their values on other people. And that's what this episode is about. No one has the right to force anyone to believe the things that they believe. That's one of the beautiful things about Gene Roddenberry's vision of IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations), and that was one of the things that we really wanted to hammer home here. Sisko does everything not to impose his values on the Bajorans, but Vedek Winn is determined to impose her values on everyone." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

Bareil's monastery scenes were filmed at Ferndale, near Griffith Park, also used for the holodeck sequence in "Encounter at Farpoint". (Star Trek Encyclopedia (pg 22), Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

When Miles O'Brien is trying to decode the ANA routine one of the sequences reads "GENE ROD", a reference to Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. Another one of the sequences reads "NCC1 701," a reference to Star Trek's famous ship, the USS Enterprise.

During the explosion of the school, the station's alert sound effect would later be reused in Star Trek: Voyager as the title starship's red alert klaxon.

Amongst Chief O'Brien's tools is a dermal regenerator, a medical instrument

Ferengi Rules Of Acquisition: #7 is referenced: "Keep your ears open."
                  The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                    Favor the Bold - where the Rotarran assisted the Defiant in destroying two Dominion ships. With the Defiant acting like a decoy, two Dominion ships were lured in to attack it. Just as the Dominion ships began their attack, the Rotarran de-cloaked and immediately destroyed one of the ships. The Defiant simultaneously powered up, and successfully destroyed the second ship. Following their successful ploy, the two ships were recalled to Starbase 375 where we got the great FX shot of Rotarran and the USS Defiant docked together at Starbase 375.
                    It's an incredible to think about all the ground that "Favor the Bold" manages to cover in a single hour. It moves us through huge storytelling events while relaying a number of very compelling character pieces in the process. Every bit of this episode is utterly engrossing, the culmination resulting from the loss of the station in "Call to Arms" is approaching, and it feels very, very real. It is near perfect storytelling assembly of just about every major facet of DS9 that comes together.
                    The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                      It's an incredible to think about all the ground that "Favor the Bold" manages to cover in a single hour. It moves us through huge storytelling events while relaying a number of very compelling character pieces in the process. Every bit of this episode is utterly engrossing, the culmination resulting from the loss of the station in "Call to Arms" is approaching, and it feels very, very real. It is near perfect storytelling assembly of just about every major facet of DS9 that comes together.
                      The plot in Favor the Bold is a must-see, but what proves more important as the episode unfolds, and is the reason the episode is so engrossing - is the way the events flow so believably and appropriately out of the characters and their motivations. We get so see what they're thinking and feeling as the world around them radically unfolds. If there's one thing the Dominion-war arc has proven, it's that the creators of the series know that the story is not simply about the war, but about the people involved.

All the characters really stand-out in Favor the Bold - but I really enjoyed both Weyoun and especially Quark (who shows some cajones when his brothers life is in jeopardy)
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Amongst Chief O'Brien's tools is a dermal regenerator, a medical instrument
                        That probably explains why he was rarely in the Infirmary unless it was something major.

It did seem like Nog and most of Ferengi walked around hunched over. I think that was more of a Ferengi thing than a Nog thing.
                        Nog seemed to be like that whenever he was scheming or did something wrong. If he was just casually out and about, he was more straight, when he doing something devious, even with Jake, he was like a silent movie charlatan who would appear out of nowhere and twist the ends of his moustache in an evil manner.

From what I remember of Nog's early DS9 style of walking, it was somewhat similar to the Ferengi when they were first introduced on TNG.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          Nog seemed to be like that whenever he was scheming or did something wrong. If he was just casually out and about, he was more straight, when he doing something devious, even with Jake, he was like a silent movie charlatan who would appear out of nowhere and twist the ends of his moustache in an evil manner. From what I remember of Nog's early DS9 style of walking, it was somewhat similar to the Ferengi when they were first introduced on TNG.
                          LOL, the Ferengi sure have the crouched scheming look down pat. Maybe it was hereditary with Nog, because his father Rom also had the crouched scheming thing going on himself. They both looked and acted (physically only) like the Ferengi we saw on TNG.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                            The plot in Favor the Bold is a must-see, but what proves more important as the episode unfolds, and is the reason the episode is so engrossing - is the way the events flow so believably and appropriately out of the characters and their motivations. We get so see what they're thinking and feeling as the world around them radically unfolds. If there's one thing the Dominion-war arc has proven, it's that the creators of the series know that the story is not simply about the war, but about the people involved.
                            Very well said brother Fifth. As dominate as the Dominion War arc was on DS9, the show never failed to focus on it's wonderfully diverse characters. And Favor the Bold is a prime example of this.

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                            All the characters really stand-out in Favor the Bold - but I really enjoyed both Weyoun and especially Quark (who shows some cajones when his brothers life is in jeopardy)
                            Weyoun came off very three-dimensional in Favor the Bold. Not only did Jeffrey Combs deliver a wonderful performance - Weyoun's facial expressions are one of the most striking and effective aspects of the character. Little details about the Vorta having no understanding of art or music, the fact that they have poor eyesight but great hearing, really make a difference. The first Weyoun we met didn't leave much of an impression, but ever since "Ties of Blood and Water," the more interesting he becomes. His actions in the plot aren't simply at odds with Kira's wishes and her hidden agenda, they're understandable from Weyoun's point of view as well. You simply don't release prisoners with Rom's evident destructive capabilities ... and if you're the Dominion you probably do execute them in order to set an example.

As far as Quark goes - Love is a strong motivator when it comes to helping out family or friends - watching him in action is extremely gratifying!.
                            The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                              \As far as Quark goes - Love is a strong motivator when it comes to helping out family or friends - watching him in action is extremely gratifying!.
                              Funerals are expensive. Being Quark it was more profitable to save his brother then let him die
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Funerals are expensive. Being Quark it was more profitable to save his brother then let him die
                                lolol, no doubt. Say what you will about Quark, at least he was not going to let his brother be killed. Which earns major kudo points from muah.
                                The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X