No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"In the Hands of the Prophets" explores what happens when Federation secular teachings and Bajoran religion mix -- which causes a big rift when Keiko's school is bombed after the Vedak Winn denounces it. As with the best philosophy-oriented shows, this season-ender brings a great deal of probing substance to its plotting. Scenes like the one where Sisko fairly explains the meanings and intentions of Winn and her followers to Jake really brings it home by not reducing any of the characters to single dimensions, the script does a superb job of handling its premise.

The subplot involving the mysterious death of one of Miles engineering staff opens up hints of a conspiracy, which ties in perfectly with the main story (Winn in cahoots with Miles Bajoran engineering assistant Neela, and revealing their intentions to assassinate Bareil). There's a lot going on here, and pretty much all of it works when it comes together. In the Hands of the Prophets has standout performances from everybody, especially Keiko, Kira, Winn, Jake, Bareil and Sisko who displays a commendable passion for his mission.
    The USS Defiant Rocks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
      It has been nice rewatching some of season 1 to follow brother jelgates rewatch. I was looking for something good to watch last night after the wife went to bed so I broke out my DS9 S1 Box Set and rewatched In the Hands of the Prophets.
      I don't which is more beautiful, Kira or that ultra-sexy USS Defiant.
      I'd have to say the Defiant. It's the sexiest ship out there.
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
        I'd have to say the Defiant. It's the sexiest ship out there.
        You get no argument from me J-Whitt. Not only do the Defiant class Starships look "sexy" as all heck, those little suckers kick major big Starship butt!.

Comment

"In the Hands of the Prophets" explores what happens when Federation secular teachings and Bajoran religion mix -- which causes a big rift when Keiko's school is bombed after the Vedak Winn denounces it. As with the best philosophy-oriented shows, this season-ender brings a great deal of probing substance to its plotting. Scenes like the one where Sisko fairly explains the meanings and intentions of Winn and her followers to Jake really brings it home by not reducing any of the characters to single dimensions, the script does a superb job of handling its premise.

The subplot involving the mysterious death of one of Miles engineering staff opens up hints of a conspiracy, which ties in perfectly with the main story (Winn in cahoots with Miles Bajoran engineering assistant Neela, and revealing their intentions to assassinate Bareil). There's a lot going on here, and pretty much all of it works when it comes together. In the Hands of the Prophets has standout performances from everybody, especially Keiko, Kira, Winn, Jake, Bareil and Sisko who displays a commendable passion for his mission.
          Interesting take. Not that I disagree with what you said but I never thought Miles' engineer and Keiko's school being separate plots. They felt like one gigantic plot to encompass the story to show the friction that exist between the Federation and Bajor
          Originally posted by Starbase
          I wouldn't exactly call In the Hands of the Prophets a good episode for a season ender, but it is has enough good elements in it to recommend.
          I thought it was quite good for a season ender because it sets so much exposition for the awesome three parter in S2. I'm really trying to get started on that episode but RL gets in the way
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

/\/\/\ -- Great mini-review brother USS Defiant. Vedek Winn is a wonderful, creepy character (the politics of Anita Bryant with the quiet demeanor of Louise Fletcher's calm, rational, quietly sadistic Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). Winn's is very compelling as a religious figure (even though she tried to kill Bareil), but now we also know she's power-hungry and believes she's on a mission for the Prophets. People like that are usually terrifying and rarely boring. I liked the look on Winn's face when Kira accuses her of attempted murder (the look screams of "damn, my plan failed") She then just walks off in disgust.

I wouldn't exactly call In the Hands of the Prophets a good episode for a season ender, but it is has enough good elements in it to recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              II thought it was quite good for a season ender because it sets so much exposition for the awesome three parter in S2. I'm really trying to get started on that episode but RL gets in the way
              Good point brother jelgate. I had forgotten about the fact that it did set-up the first few episodes of season 2 quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Interesting take. Not that I disagree with what you said but I never thought Miles' engineer and Keiko's school being separate plots. They felt like one gigantic plot to encompass the story to show the friction that exist between the Federation and Bajor
                I know exactly what you mean about it feeling like "one gigantic plot". The ultra evil Winn finally showed her dark/real side didn't she? The episode starts off with Kira praising Vedek Winn by saying "I envy Vedek Winn because she's a true believer" - but end's with Kira accusing her of murder. As you well know my friend, this is the first of many of Winn's grand political schemes.

I like how In the Hands of the Prophets outlines the political structure of Bajoran society, which was definitely something that needed to happen. I also liked how the writers and Sisko dealt with the religious issues - which the crew will eventually learn that the truth is somewhere in the middle of the Federation's rather godless philosophy and Bajor's zealous religion.
                The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                  Maybe you and I should write a script and send it to Paramount.

I would be on board with that. I've tried writing stories myself for Trek but I'm just not a character writer. I do best with planning out events and plot design and action. I've need someone that can feel the characters and tell an engaging story for them...

It would be a great pairing.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                    I would be on board with that. I've tried writing stories myself for Trek but I'm just not a character writer. I do best with planning out events and plot design and action. I've need someone that can feel the characters and tell an engaging story for them... It would be a great pairing.
                    Indeed it would brother Sasquist. And I would suggest we team up except for that fact that I work 2 jobs and take care of my dear momma who has alzheimer's. I also am a total weight-lifting freak who spends 5 days a week in the gym on top of everything else. Although I bet we could come up with a great story with memorable characters.

There used to be a regular, and good friend, here on the superior thread named Whitestar (who I haven't seen in about a year). We did a similar collaboration on some Star Trek stories and scripts he had idea's about that I helped him write. One of the stories was very similar to what you suggested - It was about the happenings in the Alpha Quadrant 10 years after the end of the Dominion War - It involved DS9 (the station) - Section 31 - Jem'Hadar that were Federation allies now (we stole RDM's suggestion) - It even had a Latin (from central Mexico) Starfleet Captain (like you suggested brother Sasquist) as the center of the story-line.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I like how In the Hands of the Prophets outlines the political structure of Bajoran society, which was definitely something that needed to happen. I also liked how the writers and Sisko dealt with the religious issues - which the crew will eventually learn that the truth is somewhere in the middle of the Federation's rather godless philosophy and Bajor's zealous religion.
                      Basically that whole first season of DS9 lead up to the happenings of In the Hands of the Prophets, so even though it wasn't nearly the best DS9 season ender, it fit perfectly with what they built throughout that first season. Stand out performances for me were Vedak Winn, not the Kai yet lol, who finally showed her true colors. Captain Sisko was equally brilliant with his drawing a line in the sand when it comes to duty and religion. Keiko who showed some great acting as the teacher who is being censored and is not happy about it. And Jake who's talk he had with his father about the parallels between Galileo and the current situation was quite eloquent and moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Weyoun View Post
                        Basically that whole first season of DS9 lead up to the happenings of In the Hands of the Prophets, so even though it wasn't nearly the best DS9 season ender, it fit perfectly with what they built throughout that first season.
                        That's actually a really very apt way of describing it.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Weyoun View Post
                          Basically that whole first season of DS9 lead up to the happenings of In the Hands of the Prophets, so even though it wasn't nearly the best DS9 season ender, it fit perfectly with what they built throughout that first season.
                          Originally posted by DigiFluid1 View Post
                          That's actually a really very apt way of describing it.
                          Agreed, and very well put by both of you. In the Hands of the Prophets is not one of my favorite DS9 "season ender" episodes (DS9 had quite a few great and memorable season enders). Winn Adami was just a fringe religious zealot who was annoying but easy to dismiss, but after In the Hands of the Prophets you knew exactly what she was. The evil that spews from Winn's mind and mouth is paplpable and quite scary (what a brilliant character she truly is).

Is that you brother DigiFluid?. I just noticed the DigiFluid1 and realized that is a different and rather new account.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

]. Winn Adami was just a fringe religious zealot who was annoying but easy to dismiss, but after In the Hands of the Prophets you knew exactly what she was. The evil that spews from Winn's mind and mouth is paplpable and quite scary (what a brilliant character she truly is).
                            The Winn Adami character did get rather exposed in the S1 season-ender In the Hands of the Prophets. I used to cringe whenever that woman appeared in an episode, not anymore, she is truly one of the best part-time characters on any Star Trek series.

I did take note that after Vedak Winn told us that she had indeed spoke to the Prophets (in episodes The Reckoning and Til Death do us Part), she finally admitted to Kira and Bareil that in fact she was ignored by the Prophets and they had never spoke to her. Her character is such an enormous quagmire - one minute you have the Winn that does right by Bajor and speaks with great wisdom and in the next minute she is plotting and scheming for her own personal needs. I don't think they could have come up with a better actress than Louise Fletcher to play the Winn Adami character.

I have some Background and Inside Information I dug up on In the Hands of the Prophets that I will post later this evening.
                            The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

The Winn Adami character did get rather exposed in the S1 season-ender In the Hands of the Prophets. I used to cringe whenever that woman appeared in an episode, not anymore, she is truly one of the best part-time characters on any Star Trek series.
                              I still cringe when I see her in early episodes. As time went on, she was great to watch but in the early episodes, her plans for self promotion and desire for power were just too obvious and it made the character a pain to watch. It wasn't really until she tried to have Vedek Barial assassinated that she was enjoyable to watch.

sigpic

Comment

Agreed, and very well put by both of you. In the Hands of the Prophets is not one of my favorite DS9 "season ender" episodes (DS9 had quite a few great and memorable season enders). Winn Adami was just a fringe religious zealot who was annoying but easy to dismiss, but after In the Hands of the Prophets you knew exactly what she was. The evil that spews from Winn's mind and mouth is paplpable and quite scary (what a brilliant character she truly is).

Is that you brother DigiFluid?. I just noticed the DigiFluid1 and realized that is a different and rather new account.
                                As you may or may not know the forum crashed a few nights ago. In that crash several accounts were lost and can't be found until the server adminstrator recovers them. Unfortunatly he on vacation so these temporary accounts are allowed. Eventually they will be merged
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X