No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all - I have graded all the quizzes that have been submitted and as usual I am very impressed by everyone so far!.

It never ceases to amaze me just how bright our superior thread brethren are. You all make me very proud to host my quizzes and especially this thread. As I have said many times and in my humble opinion - DS9/Star Trek/Stargate fans are second to none.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      You actually did very well Lady Pitry. And as usual you had me laughing my azz off while grading your quiz LOLOL (hilarious!). You are one clever and oh so sarcastic young lady.
      *takes hat off*
      Actually, having just seen Jumper's response to Q14... if I actually did get it right I'm terribly proud at my memory. I had a vague feeling my response is not complete bull**** on that one
      Or maybe I'm just retconning the universe!

Also, regarding question 15...
      Spoiler:
      Ablative armour. Is there also nominative, genitive, accusative and dative armour?

Sorry, my linguist mind insisted
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
        Also, regarding Ablative armour. Is there also nominative, genitive, accusative and dative armour -- Sorry, my linguist mind insisted
        LOL cute and a little

I remember the very first time I heard the term "Ablative Armor" I misunderstood and continued to think it was actually "A Blade of Armor" for about a year before I realized my ignorance. Which actually fits what it describes perfectly. LOL
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

LOL cute and a little

I remember the very first time I heard the term "Ablative Armor" I misunderstood and continued to think it was actually "A Blade of Armor" for about a year before I realized my ignorance. Which actually fits what it describes perfectly. LOL
          Hey, I watched all of DS9 at least twice, and it still managed to pass me by!
          (What does "ablative armour" mean?!)
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Hey, I watched all of DS9 at least twice, and it still managed to pass me by!
            (What does "ablative armour" mean?!)
            Basically Ablative armor (as seen on DS9 & VOY) is a type of protective hull plating used on starships, which possesses a capability for rapidly dissipating the energy impacts from directed energy weapon fire. Starfleet began use of ablative armor technology by 2371.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Basically Ablative armor (as seen on DS9 & VOY) is a type of protective hull plating used on starships, which possesses a capability for rapidly dissipating the energy impacts from directed energy weapon fire. Starfleet began use of ablative armor technology by 2371.
              The ever wise Brother Fifth! Do you also know why it's called ablative?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Welcome to Star Trek Quiz #24 (Re-Posted from the previous page) This Quiz has a Medium/Hard Difficulty Level. - With questions mainly about TNG, VOY & DS9 with a ENT & TOS question or two thrown in for good measure. The 2nd half of the quiz are fill-in's, most have multiple parts - each part of the question is worth 1 point. A perfect score is 60/60

NOTE: When filling out your answers in your reply, please just put A, B, C or D next to the number of the question without "quoting" the quiz. (Same for Fill-in's). Most of you do it this way anyway. This makes it a lot easier for me when I am grading the Quizzes, and I would greatly appreciate it. Here is an Example: ----
                Spoiler:
                (Multiple Choice Questions)

1) A
                2) B
                3) C
                4) D etc ...

(Fill-In Questions)

14) Enterprise -- Photon torpedos -- Capt. Picard
                15) Deep Space 9 -- USS Valiant -- Alpha Quadrant etc ... (You get the idea)

And remember I give credit for partial answers, so if you are on the right track it will count. You might also notice that I have brought back a few custom picked golden oldie questions from past quizzes.

Rules: NO Internet searches ... Be honest and have fun ... NO commenting on someones elses answers until after I post results ... Some answers have multiple choice and some answers are fill-in's ... Leave your answers in a reply with a spoiler tag (hidden) ... I will post up results Friday night. Good Luck and have fun!

1)- The term "Maquis" is based on...
                A)- The storming of the Bastille in 1789 B)- A battle tactic employed by Napoleon Bonaparte C)- A term used in "Les Miserables" D)- The French Resistance of World WarII

2)- What species ran the Caretaker Array in VOY?
                A)- Haakonian B)- Nacene C)- Yallitian D)- Vhnori

3)- Who was the first Vulcan to graduate at the top of the class at Starfleet Academy?
                A)- Valeris B)- Tuvok C)- Spock D)- Saavik

4)- How many held the title of Chief Engineer of the Ent-D during the 1rst season of "TNG"?
                A)- One B)- Four C)- Three D)- Two

5)- In 7 seasons of TNG, how many times did the Ent-D perform a saucer separation?
                A)- Two B)- Five C)- Three D)- Four

6)- What is the correct inscription on the dedication plaque for the U.S.S. Defiant (NX-74205)?
                A)- "No matter where you go, we shall protect" B)- "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." C)- "Unto to the breach we venture" D)- "To bring light into the darkness."

7)- What was the Hologram Dr. trying to accomplish in his daydreams after some self-modifications?
                A)- Get a date with Seven B)- Allowed to add an Emergency Command Hologram 'identity' to his program C)- Become famous when the ship returned to the Alpha Quadrant D)- Write the 'perfect' holonovel

8)- What does the "M" in "M-Class Planet" stand for?
                A)- Minshara B)- Mid-level C)-Median D)- Miranda

9)- What was Ezri Dax's last name before she was joined with the Dax symbiont?
                A)- Kudi B)- Belar C)- Tigan D)- Rehnol

10)- By a treaty between the United Federation of Planets and the Romulan Empire, the Federation is not allowed to develop this?
                A)- Romulan ale B)- Mind-reading tricorders C)- Mobile holo-emitters D)- Cloaking technology

11)- Who was a highly accomplished fencer on TOS?
                A)- Sulu B)- Chekov C)- Kirk D)- Scotty

12)- What is Captain Kirk's brother's first name?
                A)- Samuel B)- George C)- Robert D)- Michael

13)- What are the five species of Xindi?
                A)- Sloths, Insectoid, Aquatic, Reptillian, Avian B)- Sloths, Insectoid, Aquatic, Humanoids, Avian C)- Aquatic, Insectoid, Reptillian, Humanoids, Avian D)- Aquatic, Insectoid, Reptillian, Humanoids, Sloths

14)- Who shot Data with a Bow and Arrow? ___ Where did this take place? ___ And what did Data say to said person? ___

15)-What two types of torpedoes did the USS Defiant carry? ___, ___ What class of Starship is the USS Defiant? ___ What 3 rather unique additions did the USS Defiant have that really no other Federation Starship had at the time? ___, ___, ___

16)- What was the name of the Enterprises barber that wasn't afraid to share his opinion with Picard or Riker? ___ What race was he? ___ And what other specialty service did he provide on occasion when asked? ___

17)- What is Chakotay's tribe named? ___ Who gave the Hologram Dr. his 'Mobile Emitter? ___ What century was said 'Emitter from? ___ What 3 main things were used to create the futuristic Borg drone from the VOY episode 'Drone'? ___, ___, ___

(Various Star Trek Movie Questions)
                18)- What did Kirk tell the Klingon general after the general said 'We need breathing room!'? (ST: VI The Undiscovered Country) ___

Who commanded the ship that rescued Kirk and McCoy from the prison planet? (ST: VI The Undiscovered Country) ___

What recent disaster was Earth recovering from when Zefram Cochrane made his historic warp flight? (ST: VIII First Contact) ___

While attempting to avoid the Borg, Picard and Lily Sloan escape into the "Dixon Hill" holodeck program. What does Picard ask for from the character named Nicky the Nose? (ST: VIII First Contact) ___

The rather greedy Dr. Zefram Cochrane was first interested in the warp drive to make money. After hearing of his future fame and importance in history, he tries to bail - Riker tells him that someone once said, "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man. Let history make its own judgments." Whom does Riker here quote? (ST: VIII First Contact) ___

After refusing to abandon his ship because of the Borg - Lily compares Picard to what fictional character? (ST: VIII First Contact) ___

What is the name of Cochrane's prototype warp vessel? (ST: VIII First Contact) ___]

The night after Cochrane's historic flight, an alien ship lands nearby, and First Contact is made by what species? (ST: VIII First Contact) ___

Nero (commander of the enemy vessel) has a curious sense of pride, while being filled with revenge (as he explains to his prisoner Captain Pike). What does Nero see himself as avenging? (Star Trek: XI) ___

What type of Romulan ship does Nero captain? (Star Trek: XI) ___

What persuasion technique does Nero use on Pike? (Star Trek: XI) ___

After Vulcan, what planet is Nero's next target? (Star Trek: XI) ___

What reason does Spocks dad give for marrying a human? (Star Trek: XI) ___

Who says the famous line that begins, "Space, the final frontier...."? ___ (Star Trek: XI)

(DS9 Season IV Episode Accession Specific Questions)
                19)- What was Keiko's big surprise she layed on Miles when she returned to DS9? ___

Why did Vedak Porta bring a young couple to the stations Ops to meet Kira? ___

What type of ship did Akorem come through the worm-hole in? ___

What did Akorem stress to his fellow Bajoran's in his first speech as the Emissary? ___

What did the Prophet from Sisko's Orb Shadow (looking like Kai Opaka) repeatedly ask him in his vision? ___

Who is Major Jatarn? ___

Why did Vedak Porta push Imutta to his death off the Promenade's balcony? ___

What does Sisko tell the Prophets they should do with Akorem once they let them both know that Sisko is the true Emissary? ___

What was the name of the Bajoran Poem (by Akorem) that Sisko read and talked to Kira about? ___

(Character Specific Question: Kira in the Spot-Light)
                20) - What was Kira's title in the "Mirror Universe"? ___

Who was Kira's 2nd in command in the "Mirror Universe"? ___

How old was Kira Nerys when she first became a Major for the Bajoran Armed Forces? ___

What was Kira's "Starfleet Field Commision" rank? ___

What Bajoran Caste was Kira's family from? ___

What is the name of Kira's Bajoran race? ___
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

LOL cute and a little

Brother Fifth, when I first heard the term "ablative armor matrix" in Past Tense, Part 1, I also thought the same thing as you: "A blade of armor." I then turned on the captioning for the episode and then realized I was dealing with a sci-fi term that I had never encountered before.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                    Brother Fifth, when I first heard the term "ablative armor matrix" in Past Tense, Part 1, I also thought the same thing as you: "A blade of armor." I then turned on the captioning for the episode and then realized I was dealing with a sci-fi term that I had never encountered before.
                    Great Minds Think Alike (even when we are wrong) LOL That's to funny brother Fuzz.

I was actually familiar with the word ablative, but it still didn't don me to almost a year later when I was talking to brother Starbase and he heard me say 'a blade of armor' LOL, he corrected me and I felt as embarrased as I do right now.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Great Minds Think Alike (even when we are wrong) LOL That's to funny brother Fuzz.

I was actually familiar with the word ablative, but it still didn't don me to almost a year later when I was talking to brother Starbase and he heard me say 'a blade of armor' LOL, he corrected me and I felt as embarrased as I do right now.
                      I had never heard the term ablative--ever--before Past Tense Part I. I did a double-take on that term and had to look it up before it actually started to make sense to me. But I the idea of the ablative armor and have it work well for the Defiant was one of the reasons the Defiant is my favorite ship on DS9.
                      sigpic

Comment

The ever wise Brother Fifth! Do you also know why it's called ablative?
                        Because it absorbs damage meant for the surface underneath it via ablation?
                        Sorry. Couldn't resist.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I had never heard the term ablative--ever--before Past Tense Part I. I did a double-take on that term and had to look it up before it actually started to make sense to me. But I the idea of the ablative armor and have it work well for the Defiant was one of the reasons the Defiant is my favorite ship on DS9.
                          Thats because its technobabble. Created for the situation and then rules were created for it to be used. Kind of like the first time tachyon beams were created to detect cloaked ships
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Thats because its technobabble. Created for the situation and then rules were created for it to be used. Kind of like the first time tachyon beams were created to detect cloaked ships
                            The idea of ablation is quite real though the term ablative armor is definitely technobabble. I wasn't familiar with the concept of ablation until I heard about it in that DS9 episode.
                            sigpic

Comment

Using a particle that travels beyond light to find ships hidden from sight [and other things, but still...] makes perfect sci-fi sense to me. What I love is when they use chroniton radiation instead of tachyon radiation for time travel scenarios.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The idea of ablation is quite real though the term ablative armor is definitely technobabble. I wasn't familiar with the concept of ablation until I heard about it in that DS9 episode.
                                I thought we were talking about ablative armor not the actual process of ablation. I know the latter is quite real.

And thanks for the quiz help everyone
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X