Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/\/\ lololol /\/\ sorry brother Fifth.

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    "We can't put a mans heart on trial. It's a subjective issue that cannot be reasoned in a court of law"
    "Some one told me this was a search for the truth. Should we not follow that search wherever it takes us?"
    Spoiler:
    That would be Sisko and the Klingon attorney general type of guy. I don't remember the name of the DS9 episode

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
    "Despite Picards promise, he has done nothing. Just left me to go mad"
    "He has not forgotten his promise. The Captain would not do that!"
    Spoiler:
    I know this one very well That is Prof. Moriarty and Reginald Barcaly from the great TNG episode Ship in a Bottle

What do most all Ferengi consider the "most important" Rule of Acquisition? (I don't want the number of the acquisition, I want the direct quote) ____
    I have no idea? Good question though brother Fifth.

Comment

Thank's for calling me brother Fifth. I see you are wetting our appetites for the upcoming quiz.
      "We can't put a mans heart on trial. It's a subjective issue that cannot be reasoned in a court of law"
      "Some one told me this was a search for the truth. Should we not follow that search wherever it takes us?"
      Spoiler:
      That is Sisko defending Worf, and the second quote is the Klingon Advocate Ch'Pok who is trying to prosecute Worf from the season 4 DS9 episode Rules of Engagement.

"Despite Picards promise, he has done nothing. Just left me to go mad"
      "He has not forgotten his promise. The Captain would not do that!"
      Spoiler:
      That is the wonderful Professor Moriarty talking to Barclay in a holosuite where the Professor is asking Barclay to arrange a meeting with Picard because he's sick and tired of waiting for them to do something about him stuck in a HS program. And for the life of me the title of the episode eludes me.

Originally posted by the Fifth Race[B
      What do most all Ferengi consider the "most important" Rule of Acquisition?[/B] (I don't want the number of the acquisition, I want the direct quote) ____
      (I will post answers this evening)
      Spoiler:
      There have been a handful of great Ferengi Rules of Acquisition talked about on all the modern Star Trek telelvison series. But I seem to remember in the ENT episode Acquisition where it was pointed out that the "most important" Ferengi ROA is "A Man is only Worth the Sum of his Possessions"

Great stuff, I think I nailed them except for the title of one of the episodes.
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The first quote is from -- the pretty darn good DS9 Season IV Episode Rules of Engagement - where Benjamin Sisko is vehemently defending Commander Worf against charges that the Klingon high counsel brought against him (he was accused to maliciously attacking a Klingon transport). The other voice (quote) is Klingon Advocate Ch'Pok who was a brilliant prosecutor assigned by the high counsel.
          "Rules of Engagement" is a great episode. That dream sequence in the very beginning with Worf all bloodied up while running through what looked it could have been a Starfleet or Klingon vessel with a raised Bat'leth and the look of a crazy-man in his eye's, like he just slaughtered a bunch of people. And then going right into his hearing/trial with no explanation until the facts unfolded was unique and very cool writing and directing. The Klingon Advocate Ch'Pok's performance was brilliant, he was very convincing. Sisko's performance as Worf's counsel was equally as brilliant.
          The second quote is from -- the appropriately named TNG Season VI Episode Ship in a Bottle - where Professor Moriarty appears in an empty holosuite to Reginald Barclay who was trying to fix a malfunction that the Prof. was responsible for. Moriarty told Barclay to have Picard meet him at his residence for a meeting. Barclay couldn't believe what he was seeing with a self aware holosuite character.
          Of course "Ship in a Bottle", I should have remembered that episode title. Another great scene was the look on Barclay's face when he realized that Professor Moriarty was a self aware hologram, great stuff.
          The Answer to the Question -- comes from the ENT Season I Episode Acquisition where it is stated that the most important Rule of Acquisition which was oddly never given a number is "A Man is only worth the sum of his Possessions". It was also reiterated by Quark in a DS9 episode as well.
          There were quite a few Rules of Acquisition quoted in the ENT episode Acquisition, but I vividly remember the quote "A man is only worth the sum of his possessions". It's no wonder that it's the main mantra for the Ferengi, it says it all.

Bring on the quiz brother Fifth, I'm ready.
          The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Oh, I thought the most important Rule of Acquisition would be the first.
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
              The scenes with Picard and 3 young children trapped in the turbo-lift was IMO the hi-lite of the episode. Miles also stood out, and I agree Ro was way out of line and the writers made her look like a total buffoon. Troi was lost but she played it very well. I also enjoyed and got great laugh from Worf when he was semi-panicking while delivering Keiko's baby Molly -
              Worf: "It's not like the holosuite program I trained with at Starfleet Academy"
              What the heck was bugging Ensign Ro in the TNG episode Disaster. Her character was out of line, over-emotional and almost irrational, very un-Starfleet like. I guess the writers wanted emphasize that Bajoran woman can be unpredictable - which was reiterated in the DS9 episode Emissary when O'Brien asked Sisko warningly "Have you ever met a Bajoran woman?", to which looked and O'Brien with a concerned looked on his face LOL - Then of course the first thing he witnesses before he meets Kira for the first is her ranting and arguing with a superior on Bajor.

Worf's delivery of Keiko's and O'Brien's baby Molly was a wonderful scene played perfectly by both Keiko and especially Worf. The look of amazement on Worf's face while the baby was coming out was priceless and hilarious all at the sametime. I like how Keiko thanked Worf for being strong and delivering her baby perfectly, it was a nice heart touching moment.

I also really enjoyed the scene at the very beginning of Disaster where Geordi, Riker and Worf (all sporting awesome beards) were playing 4-way poker against Dr. Crusher who likened that men grow beards to women putting make-up on - Which of course made the 3 males bristle with uncomfortableness and even question there man-hood. Of course this made Beverly kind of smile with this wonderfully sly look.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Wasn't that the whole point of Ro. She is very un-Star Fleet like. Hence why she was inprisioned for so long.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  Oh, I thought the most important Rule of Acquisition would be the first.
                  You would think so wouldn't you Lady Pitry. And the 1rst Rule of Acquisition (ROA) is a pretty good one as well - "Once you have their money ... never give it back." LOL But as you read through the many (over 300 at last count) ROA's there are many that could very well be labeled the "most important".

Some of my personal favorite Rules of Acquisition are -
                  "Never make fun of Ferengi's mother ... insult something he cares about instead"
                  "Only fools pay retail"
                  "Never have sex with the boss's sister"
                  "Always have sex with the boss" LOL
                  "Never cheat a Klingon ... unless you're sure you can get away with it" Good advice LOL
                  "A deal is a deal ... until a better one comes along"
                  "Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own"
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Wasn't that the whole point of Ro. She is very un-Star Fleet like. Hence why she was inprisioned for so long.
                    Indeed. They emphasized the point that Bajoran females have fiery personalities (not exactly as intense as Klingon females, but fiery none the less). At least with Ensign Ro and especially Kira we got see that female Bajoran's are strong (physically and physiologically) and pretty outstanding individuals over-all.

Well I'm headed out of town (Los Angeles) for a few days on a business trip. So I will bring back my "Guess the Quote" bonus questions on Monday (also remember that the Main Quiz itself is a week from Monday - April 5). I am bringing my lap-top so I will be checking in from the road on occasion.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Indeed. They emphasized the point that Bajoran females have fiery personalities (not exactly as intense as Klingon females, but fiery none the less). At least with Ensign Ro and especially Kira we got see that female Bajoran's are strong (physically and physiologically) and pretty outstanding individuals over-all.

Well I'm headed out of town (Los Angeles) for a few days on a business trip. So I will bring back my "Guess the Quote" bonus questions on Monday (also remember that the Main Quiz itself is a week from Monday - April 5). I am bringing my lap-top so I will be checking in from the road on occasion.
                      I personally believe Bajoran women are among the most interesting and well-nuanced characters in Trek lore cause of a mix of fire and spirituality. My favorite examples:

1. Kira does have a contemplative side to her, especially when it comes to discerning the will of the Prophets. Yet, this is the same woman that defiantly stated, after Damar's rebellion was decimated by the Dominion (in "The Dogs of War"), "We are NOT going to spend the rest of this war in a musty old cellar, are we?"

2. In multiple episodes ("Shakaar" and "The Darkness and the Light") Lupaza has demonstrated a similar kind of fire as Kira. She would probably smack Furel if he ever got out of line with her--something I'm sure he wouldn't dare do.

3. The Bajoran Arbiter in "Dax" was as formidable as her gavel. If I got slapped with a contempt of court charge from her, I'd be royally screwed.

4. Vedek Yasim in "Rocks and Shoals" demonstrated that even religious, contemplative Bajoran women would take remarkably drastic action to prove their point, after declaring her final words to those who listened before her suicidal protest: "Evil must be opposed!"

5. Kai Opaka. A wonderful character. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of her as she seemed an incrediblly complex person. The best of Bajoran spirituality seemed encapsulated within her. Though short in stature, she had a presence that commanded respect (at least to me).

And of course, the first Bajoran woman we met, Ro.

Have a good trip to SoCal, Brother Fifth.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                        I personally believe Bajoran women are among the most interesting and well-nuanced characters in Trek lore cause of a mix of fire and spirituality. My favorite examples:
                        Great post as usual brother Fuzz!. And I agree with most every-thing you say (especially about Kai Opaka - to bad we didn't get to know her better). But what about the unforgettable Kai Winn.

Even though I initially could not stand her (Kai Winn) - I have grown to respect and even love the character after all the times I have re-watched DS9. Louise Fletcher's (nurse Ratchet) portrayal as the cold and calculating and mostly bitter Winn Adami was pure brilliance!. In a lot of way's she was probably the strongest willed (mostly stubbornness) of all the truly great Bajoran women we have seen from any Trek series.
                        Originally posted by Cold Fuzz
                        Have a good trip to SoCal, Brother Fifth.
                        Thanx amigo. I am currently sitting in the down-town Los Angeles Hilton. I can see the hookers and the drug dealers from my 12th story suite LOL - A lot like the view I would have if I was staying at one of those fancy Hotels in San Francisco in the Tenderloin or Market Street areas. Anyway I am already bored as all heck. I brought my season IV DS9 Box Set so I can watch some episodes over the next few days while I'm out of town. I have already watched 3 episodes and took extensive notes for future Quizzes. I also have a few more quotes and a bonus trivia question or two all ready for this coming Monday morning.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Great post as usual brother Fuzz!. And I agree with most every-thing you say (especially about Kai Opaka - to bad we didn't get to know her better). But what about the unforgettable Kai Winn.

Even though I initially could not stand her (Kai Winn) - I have grown to respect and even love the character after all the times I have re-watched DS9. Louise Fletcher's (nurse Ratchet) portrayal as the cold and calculating and mostly bitter Winn Adami was pure brilliance!. In a lot of way's she was probably the strongest willed (mostly stubbornness) of all the truly great Bajoran women we have seen from any Trek series.
                          Thanx amigo. I am currently sitting in the down-town Los Angeles Hilton. I can see the hookers and the drug dealers from my 12th story suite LOL - A lot like the view I would have if I was staying at one of those fancy Hotels in San Francisco in the Tenderloin or Market Street areas. Anyway I am already bored as all heck. I brought my season IV DS9 Box Set so I can watch some episodes over the next few days while I'm out of town. I have already watched 3 episodes and took extensive notes for future Quizzes. I also have a few more quotes and a bonus trivia question or two all ready for this coming Monday morning.
                          If your bored as heck you could always comment on my DS9 rewatch thread.:0 I appreciate any input from DS9 Superior friends and Linda(). I thought about including them in here but figured they would get lost in posts to related to other Trek comments. I like forward to everyone's input
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

You're completely right that I forgot about Winn! True, she was an absolute witch as times but Louise Fletcher's performance was brilliant for the duration of DS9. And the depths of her bitterness was revealed in episodes like "Rapture" and "Strange Bedfellows." I do see some chilling parallels of Nurse Ratchet and Winn.

That's nice that you brought the season 4 box set. I will likely start watching a few of my season 4 favorites starting tonight now that I have 4 consecutive days off from work. As well as watching "Accession" again (I actually watched that about 2 weeks ago) I'm looking forward to seeing "To the Death," "The Quickening," and "The Way of the Warrior" again. As well as continuing my workouts for that big practice test on April 7, I do have to make good use of my spare time!
                            sigpic

Comment

Some of my personal favorite Rules of Acquisition are -
                              "Never make fun of Ferengi's mother ... insult something he cares about instead"
                              "Only fools pay retail"
                              "Never have sex with the boss's sister"
                              "Always have sex with the boss" LOL
                              "Never cheat a Klingon ... unless you're sure you can get away with it" Good advice LOL
                              "A deal is a deal ... until a better one comes along"
                              "Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own"
                              lol Great choices brother Fifth. Some of my favorites would be....
                              "Greed is Eternal"
                              "Never confuse wisdom with luck."
                              "Good customers are as rare as latinum -- treasure them" that is so frakking true in real life!.
                              "Beware of the Vulcan greed for knowledge" it's funny how they mention the Klingons and the Vulcans
                              "A wealthy man can afford anything except a conscience." a Ferengi would know lol
                              The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

I could not agree more!. Kai Winn was a hideous person who hid behind this phony vale of religion because of her Alpha Quadrant sized ego. I cringed every time she appeared in an episode when I watched DS9 through it's original airing. But after also rewatching all those episode over and over I have completely changed my mind about her character. She is ugly no doubt, but Fletcher's acting is impeccable.
                                The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X