Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I'll fall back on the old rule. When in doubt blame Linda.
    lololol poor Lady Linda.
    Originally posted by jelgate
    Seriously I liked his motivation for what he did. I can relate to a person wanting revenge for losing a loved one
    I will give you that my friend. But in the end, that TNG episode The Battle, where DaiMon Bok appeared is pretty lame.
    Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    let's not forget ENT
    You're right brother Jumper One. The 2 episodes that the Ferengi appeared on in ENT were decent enough (Acquisition and especially These are the Voyages).

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
      Quark and Rom are IMO the 2 very best Ferengi characters from any Trek series.
      With all due respect brother jelagte, are you nuts!. Daimon Bok was a hack!. Even the brief appearence the Ferengi had on VOY was pathetic.
      True and true... and false. The ferengi on VOY were wonderful representatives of the usual stupidly evil Ferengi, especially those two who decided to go through the Barzai wormhole. They were dumb, but the story surrounding them was great.
      Seriously I liked his motivation for what he did. I can relate to a person wanting revenge for losing a loved one
      Revenge is killing him. Revenge is killing his family on Earth. Revenge isn't genetically manipulating the son of some woman Picard 'knew' into conning the kid and Picard into thinking he's Picard's Suddenly Son then try to kill the kid. It's... It's stupid!
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        True and true... and false. The ferengi on VOY were wonderful representatives of the usual stupidly evil Ferengi, especially those two who decided to go through the Barzai wormhole. They were dumb, but the story surrounding them was great.Revenge is killing him. Revenge is killing his family on Earth. Revenge isn't genetically manipulating the son of some woman Picard 'knew' into conning the kid and Picard into thinking he's Picard's Suddenly Son then try to kill the kid. It's... It's stupid!
        That would be too easy. He wanted Picard to suffer the pain of loss like he did. As for Earth that was probably a little more difficult wiith all the defenses the Federation has along then border let alone the "heart" of their government. And I highly doubt they would let Bok on Earth.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          True and true... and false. The ferengi on VOY were wonderful representatives of the usual stupidly evil Ferengi, especially those two who decided to go through the Barzai wormhole. They were dumb, but the story surrounding them was great.Revenge is killing him. Revenge is killing his family on Earth.
          I never said the Ferengi VOY episodes were bad (they're alright, better than TNG's). I was inferring that the portrayal of the Ferengi on VOY was much like that of TNG - Another words very Buffoonish and hard to take serious in any sort of matter. Now I'm also not saying that the Ferengi weren't portrayed the same way on a handful of DS9 episodes as well. But there are far more good to great Ferengi episodes involving Quark, Rom, Nog, Grand Nagus Zek, Moogie, Brunt and quite a few more. How many great B-Stories involving Quark alone are there on DS9, a lot.

Comment

I think back in TNG's days the Ferengi were supposed to be a lot more bad-ass evil than they ended up being after DS9? I mean, I remember the horrid Oomok case with Diana and Lawxana, but for some reason I have a vague impression they were supposed to be serious bad guys.

On the other hand, it's possible I have this impression because the skies are brightening now and I still haven't gone to sleep. You'd expect if I'm pulling an all nighter to reach my deadlines, I'd actually WORK.
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I don't think the Ferengi were ever to be seriously considered badass. The only real badass Ferengi in TNG was Daemon Bok and even he got screwed over by other Ferengi for not trying to acquire profit.

It was hard to take the Ferengi serious in the first episode of TNG they appeared in. I'm glad that DS9 was able to use Quark, Rom and Nog to further develop and expand the Ferengi, but still using Daemon (Is that the right spelling for the rank?) Bok to show that Ferengi can want something more than profit, even if it's bad and then having Nog showing they can want something more than profit, even if it goes beyond anything they've done before.And then you have Rom, showing that a Ferengi (or people in general) doesn't need latinum to get a smoking hot wife and be successful.

I think TNG was starting to go the right route with the Ferengi when it showed they can beam women right out of their clothes and prefer women naked.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                I don't think the Ferengi were ever to be seriously considered badass.
                Brother Starbase had it right when he stated that the Ferengi were first developed to be a serious foe against the Federation (ie. "bad-asses" LOL). They were supposed to crave human flesh and have superior weaponry. But after the way they came off (as utterly ridiculous) in there introduction episode (TNG's The Last Outpost) - The out-cry by the fan's (write-in and Internet) made TPTB take notice and listen to there Trekkie fans, which made them go in a completely new direction with the Ferengi. Personally I was never that much of a fan of the Ferengi on TNG - and when I saw Quark for the first time on DS9's premiere episode The Emissary I kind of rolled my eyes and thought great, more Ferengi crapola. But much to the credit of TPTP with DS9 and the man himself Armin Shimmerman (Quark) - The Ferengi were eloquently re-written as not so bumbling and stupid while still maintaining some of that silly charm.
                Originally posted by SaberBlade
                Then you have Rom, showing that a Ferengi (or people in general) doesn't need latinum to get a smoking hot wife and be successful.
                LOL, as quiet and in the background as Rom was through most of DS9 - he and Leeta for that matter, both turned out to be a pretty darn good characters.
                Originally posted by SaberBlade
                I think TNG was starting to go the right route with the Ferengi when it showed they can beam women right out of their clothes and prefer women naked.
                Hard to argue with that brother SB! LOL. I will say the one time I truly enjoyed the Ferengi from TNG was the very good season VI episode "Suspicions" with the uber smart Ferengi scientist Dr. Reyga.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Yay, I got a quote right, I actually remembered something *iz proud*

Can't blame me cause I don't watch TNG

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                  lololol poor Lady Linda.
                  pfft, I'm used to it At least I'm good for somethin g
                  sigpic

Comment

Good morning my fellow DS9/Star Trek/Sci-Fi brethren. I have 2 new "Guess the Quote" questions for you. And since we have been talking a lot about the Ferengi the last couple days - I have a Bonus Ferengi "Trivia Question" (an oldie but a goodie) for you as well.

Again, please leave your answers with a "Spoiler Tag" so everyone has a chance to answer the questions. Also try and guess who said the quote -- from which Trek Series they came from (either TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT) -- and the name of said Episode. Good luck

(Guess the "Quote")
                    "We can't put a mans heart on trial. It's a subjective issue that cannot be reasoned in a court of law"

"Some one told me this was a search for the truth. Should we not follow that search wherever it takes us?"
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    "Despite Picards promise, he has done nothing. Just left me to go mad"

"He has not forgotten his promise. The Captain would not do that!"
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    (Bonus Trivia Question)
                    What do most all Ferengi consider the "most important" Rule of Acquisition? (I don't want the number of the acquisition, I want the direct quote) ____

(I will post answers this evening)
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                      Good morning my fellow DS9/Star Trek/Sci-Fi brethren. I have 2 new "Guess the Quote" questions for you. And since we have been talking a lot about the Ferengi the last couple days - I have a Bonus Ferengi "Trivia Question" (an oldie but a goodie) for you as well.

Again, please leave your answers with a "Spoiler Tag" so everyone has a chance to answer the questions. Also try and guess who said the quote -- from which Trek Series they came from (either TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT) -- and the name of said Episode. Good luck

(Guess the "Quote")
                      "We can't put a mans heart on trial. It's a subjective issue that cannot be reasoned in a court of law"

"Some one told me this was a search for the truth. Should we not follow that search wherever it takes us?"

(Bonus Trivia Question)
                      What do most all Ferengi consider the "most important" Rule of Acquisition? (I don't want the number of the acquisition, I want the direct quote) ____

Spoiler:
                      Oh I don't bloody well know

Most important rule of acquisition? Um is it profit? I don't know, and I have no idea the exact quote either
                      sigpic

Comment

(Guess the "Quote")

(Bonus Trivia Question)

Spoiler:
                        1. Sisko to the Klingon"lawyer"
                        Rules of Engagement. (good episode)

2. Picard to Prof. Moriatry the 2nd time he appears. You know its the episode where he pretend to take over the Ent D. The actual name escapes me. I'm not good with.

Bonus:Expand or die
                        (I really have no clue)
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

(Guess the "Quote")

(Bonus Trivia Question)

Spoiler:
                          Sisko and the Klingon prosecutor in Rules of Engagement

no idea

Bonus question: A Ferengi is only worth the sum of his possessions
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Spoiler:
                            (Guess the "Quote")

Picard; that old, unstable, witch-hunting shrew of an investigator (daughter of some famous Federation guy) in those ridiculous clothes; TNG: The Drumhead.

Moriarty; Barclay; TNG: Ship in a Bottle.

(Bonus Trivia Question)

Something something something,... but latinum lasts forever.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Hard to argue with that brother SB! LOL. I will say the one time I truly enjoyed the Ferengi from TNG was the very good season VI episode "Suspicions" with the uber smart Ferengi scientist Dr. Reyga.
                              I forgot about Reyga. He was another good example of the great character development for the Ferengi. I know that Ferengi bought warp drive (if I remember right) so it is great knowing that the Ferengi were able to also pioneer some stuff, other than beaming women out of their clothing (which they need more credit for).

----

(Bonus Trivia Question)
                              -----

I don't remember the first one, so I never copied it. but these two I think are...

Spoiler:
                              The quote is Moriarty and Data. The most import rule I believe is "never, ever sleep with the bosses daughter". I don't remember the episode off hand, but I think it was on TV at the start of the week

sigpic

Comment

Interesting Answers my friends. I was going to post the answers now but I gave my 2 buddies (brothers Starbase and USS Defiant) a call and told them to get there butts on GW and try and answer the bonus questions. So I will give them an hour and then I will post up the answers.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X