Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SkyOne: Who is the Greatest Star Trek Captain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trudy: Are you sure it was the Enterprise? Because that sounds awfully similar to DS9's "The Sound of her Voice".

My favorite would be Picard. I grew up watching him, and I've always loved his demeanor and command style. Early on he was a little too diplomatic at times, but that wasn't a problem for too long.

Second place would be Sisko, if only because of The Goatee.

Third would be Kirk. In the words of the two Temporal Investigations agents from "Trials and Tribble-ations": The man was a menace.

Fourth would be Janeway, mainly because she isn't Archer.

Last, and most certainly least, is Archer. Captain Quantum himself. What a giant jerk. And that's canon too, since Bakula played him like that on purpose. 90% of the time he's extremely rude to his crew and aliens alike, and he resorted to being a torturous pirate while being in the Expanse. [sarcasm]Way to go upholding the values you're trying protect, Quantum! [/sarcasm]
    Last edited by Lexx; 19 May 2005, 07:31 PM.
    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by trudy
      Kirk.

Sisko? you guys have to be kidding, right?
      Hell no, Sisko is ten times the captain as Kirk or Picard. Kirk was so into his own rules he was barely actually part of starfleet. And Picard was entirely too obsessed with keeping himself distanced from his crew.
      Sentio Aliquos Togatos Contra Me Conspirare

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
        My favorite would be Picard. I grew up watching him, and I've always loved his demeanor and command style. Early on he was a little too diplomatic at times, but that wasn't a problem for too long.

Second place would be Sisko, if only because of The Goatee.

Third would be Kirk. In the words of the two Temporal Inestigations agents from "Trials and Tribble-ations": The man was a menace.

Fourth would be Janeway, mainly because she isn't Archer.
        Oh, wow! We are on the same wavelength. It's Picard > Sisco > Kirk > Janeway > Archer for me, too. I feel the phrase "heart of a lion, soul of a poet" was especially written for Picard.

I don't dislike Archer, actually. Just never could develop any sympathy for him (although I tried).
        In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Kirk > Picard > Sisko > Janeway > Archer

Picard was probably smarter and more diplomatic than Kirk. With a quiet strength that could be deceiving.

Kirk's the most natural leader, a little more daring and I think loved the job more than any of them. He barely edges out Picard.
          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I would say that Picard then Kirk and Sisco in a pretty much tie, then Janeway, then Pike Sulu Spock Data Ryker and then Capt Quantum himself.
            Picard is really the only one that deserves flag rank. I know that Kirk became an Admiral but shooting everything and trying to bag their women just isn't very diplomatic.
            Sisco did a lot with less plus he had to deal with being the Bajoran Dali Lama (however you spell it) and the Dominion issue.
            Janeway was an ok Captain by Starfleet standards but how many times did she let the Kazon capture them? Being outsmarted by the dumbest and most primitive ST race 3 or 4 times is not very impressive. However she did have the most boring XO of all time to not help her out.
            Archer if we once would have seen why he went on to become the President of the UFP, have 2 planets named after him, and supposedly be one of the greatest Captains in the history of Starfleet that would have been nice. Instead he was less dimplomatic than Kirk. Less engaging with his crew than Picard. Seemed to have a worse attitude than early Sisco. And fell for more moronic traps (which plagues all SF Captains) than Janeway. It takes a lot more than Daniels telling us that the universe was created to give Archer a place to furrow for me to think he was a good Captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
              I would say that Picard then Kirk and Sisco in a pretty much tie, then Janeway, then Pike Sulu Spock Data Ryker and then Capt Quantum himself.
              Spock and Data are great officers, but neither of them ever actually had their own command, that I know of. I may be wrong about Spock, but Data never even made it to the rank of Captain...

Comment

Kirk.
                Dogs are my favorite people.
                If they don't have chocolate in heaven, I ain't going.

Comment

Picard > Janeway > Sisko > Kirk > What's his face Archer since I hated Enterprise.

Comment

1.) Picard - Simply the best
                    2.) Janeway - had her moments
                    3.) Kirk - Cocky and womanizing, a product of his times but an ass all the same.
                    4.) Sisko - The way he talked got on my nerves among other things.
                    5.) Archer - Should have died before the series ended

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                      trudy: Are you sure it was the Enterprise? Because that sounds awfully similar to DS9's "The Sound of her Voice".
                      You're right, I think.

Comment

Okay, who had more sex appeal. Kirk 100%, everyone else, 0%. It really creeped me out when they had Picard shirtless.

Comment

Definitely Sisko (with beard & bald head )
                          "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                          it has it's own laws and beats about things
                          which the intellect scorns."
                          - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by grendelsbayne
                            Spock and Data are great officers, but neither of them ever actually had their own command, that I know of. I may be wrong about Spock, but Data never even made it to the rank of Captain...
                            True Data was never had the rank of Captain but he was in command of a ship for a while so he had the title of Captain. Basicly Archer sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
                              True Data was never had the rank of Captain but he was in command of a ship for a while so he had the title of Captain. Basicly Archer sucked.
                              I recall one episode where he had temporary command of (was it the Yamato?) under Captain Picard's fleet organization to keep the Romulans out of the Klingon civil war... I don't recall any where he actually had his own real command.

Comment

Sisko was great. I think with Enterprise they should have picked someone less well known. Every time i see him Quantam Leap springs to mind and kills the moment. I think also your fave Captain will depend on your fave series!

Comment

Working...
                                X