Next Tuesday (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I do. Sometimes to keep it plausible, you need to stick to the truth in history or what is known about it.
    Ordinarily I'd agree with you. I actually surprise myself here. I'm usually the first to have problems with historical inaccuracies and dramatic license, but given that we're not exactly dealing in the real world in Sanctuary (unless you believe Nikola Tesla was really a vampire etc), I'm not going to quibble about the Molly Brown reference. But to each his own.
    That said, if Brown really *didn't* fish anyone out of the drink, then it would have been better not to have her rescuing Helen.
    Last edited by jckfan55; 07 December 2009, 12:11 PM. Reason: clarify point

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      Ordinarily I'd agree with you. I actually surprise myself here. I'm usually the first to have problems with historical inaccuracies and dramatic license, but given that we're not exactly dealing in the real world in Sanctuary (unless you believe Nikola Tesla was really a vampire etc), I'm not going to quibble about the Molly Brown reference. But to each his own.
      That said, if Brown really *didn't* fish anyone out of the drink, then it would have been better not to have her rescuing Helen.
      I'm with you, Sanctuary isn't set in our world so I don't know why some people insist it should tally up with events in our world. Think alternate reality peeps
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Mack_1 View Post
        Totally I was like she just didn’t say that!!LOLand Will’s face so good. And she definitely has a thing for bald men and agree again John is the better looking and sexy as well you catch my “drift” LOL

I loved that!! John is the better bald man of the two... Definitely more sinister.

Only on Sanctuary could a Sea Scorpion and a Vampire Squid be mortal enemies... It was glorious!! lol!!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
          I think DK just tossed a name everyone would recognise. Plus serioulsy, is there anyone here that didnt picture the awesomeness that is Kathy Bates when she said Molly Brown lol
          Picture her every time; specially now that I seen a picture of the real person and see that KB looks so much like the real MB
          sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post
            Hail Mary as Will uses the term comes from football, a long pass, usualy as a last resort, thus the name (the QB basically praying it will work).
            I know, I learn that on Frasier But in this case Magnus reaction is due to him saying it in Pavor Nocturnus

Comment

Regarding Molly Brown - I'm divided on the issue.

On one side Yes I know a little about Molly Brown from the movie and museum exhibits. Therefore, when Helen mentioned Molly Brown (passenger and survivor of the Titanic) it gave Helen some creditability to actually being on the ship. My next reaction was, "I thought Molly Brown didn't go back to rescue anyone." So it kind of pulled me out of the show briefly. It didn't bother me as much as others that have more in depth knowledge on the subject.

It's the same issue broken Brooklyn Bridge, it's the first suspended bridge in the US. However, the show has the bridge located clear across the country in Pacific Northwest. It's a historic icon, if you will, to New York City. It pulls some out of the show and others not so much. That's why the occasional reviewer sets the show in New York, because of the photos of the Brooklyn Bridge in ruins.

I think they want to select events/ visual icons in history to provide credibility to Helen's longevity, which is cool! However, I think that will backfire to some degree depending on the audiences knowledge of the subject. Yes it is supposed to be an alternate universe, but it still closely resembles ours in the past Presidents Helen mentioned, Some of Tesla's inventions, JtR case which many here use as a time table for events, the Titanic and even the Beatles creep into the dialog . So at some point the AU kicks in for the show and our history is no longer a valid reference. I just think that line is a little hazy depending on the audience knowledge of the subject.

Comment

Plus serioulsy, is there anyone here that didnt picture the awesomeness that is Kathy Bates when she said Molly Brown lol
                I didn't. Bates' version of Molly Brown got totally pwned in Titanic.

Molly: "Um, shouldn't we go back to pick up survivors?"

Crew Member: "SHUT UP or I'll toss you overboard!"

Molly: " <mousey squeak> "

So yeah.
                “When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy.”
                ~ Jack Hardy

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I think my only issue with it is, I love them putting helen in historical events. I think it's great. I do think, however, they need to work a bit harder to keep it plausible. If it's historical 'fact' that molly brown never pulled anyone out of the water, then don't have her pulling helen out of the water. Have it be someone anonymous.
                  what if molly went along with helen and kept it secret? molly sees what really brought helen up to the boat, and deciding not to freak out the rest of the passengers, just pulls helen aboard. then later, molly asks helen what was it in the water with her, and helen tells her the truth and asks her to keep it to herself. molly, being the forward thinking and cool chick she was, agrees.

there's a fic!
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                    Actually, I always picture Debbie Reynolds when I think of Molly Brown (as in the movie musical The Unsinkable Molly Brown) but that's partly because I adore movie musicals and haven't seen Titanic too many times.
                    i *love* 'the unsinkable molly brown' movie!

(amanda would have been fab in that movie )
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                      You mean this isn't real???

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                      ..I like the 1st option. Even if it wasn't Sally the mermaid, perhaps Helen was transporting an abnormal that helped push her towards Molly's lifeboat so she could be rescued.
                      Absolutely. Abnormals are always involved.

I can see Will as kind of middle ground for coping for Helen, she didn't want to be coddled but she didn't want to be on her own either, so Will could be there to distract her with work or something.
                      I can see that as well. Will won't push but at the same time I think he would be there for her if needed. If not then, as you say, a distraction.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      ...I think my only issue with it is, I love them putting helen in historical events. I think it's great. I do think, however, they need to work a bit harder to keep it plausible. If it's historical 'fact' that molly brown never pulled anyone out of the water, then don't have her pulling helen out of the water. Have it be someone anonymous.

It's kind of like the advice i give authors when they write whump fic, if you don't have the research to get your medicine at least close, then don't go
                      into anatomical detail of how hurt the person is. Keep it vague, because the devil is in the details, and the more details you bring forth, the greater the
                      chances that you'll get one of them wrong.

As to Olaf....stress relief. I think Helen doesn't even consider looking for a husband or life mate. I think she just 'has fun' and 'loves them and leaves
                      them'
                      I am beginning to wonder if, for DK and company, it was about the historical person and not the historical event. AT has mentioned that they wanted to show that Helen had relationships (friendships, meetings, etc...) with famous women as well as famous men. So far they have referenced many famous men and shown at least four of them but no women, with the exception of Amelia Airhart in the opening credits.

Maybe because it was a "stranded in the water" ep DK thought it would be cool to reference Molly Brown, but in his effort to point out a famous woman that Helen knew he didn't check the historical facts and if you don't have the the facts then don't go there.

This of course leads to the inevitable verbal whumping by fans as well as an effort on our part to reconcile true history with TV show history. This is why I imagine that an abnormal was involved because dang it abnormals are always involved.

As for Olaf, Helen did say she hadn't seen him in decades (just how old is he?) so maybe when they initially hooked up he was younger, cuter and um had more hair? Tho' our Helen does seem to like the bald bad boys.

I think DK just tossed a name everyone would recognise. Plus serioulsy, is there anyone here that didnt picture the awesomeness that is Kathy Bates when she said Molly Brown lol
                      Yup
                      and
                      Yup

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      YESSSSSSS!!!! Fanfic? Please? *big pleading smile with puppy-dog eyes* If you can... maybe... possibly?
                      ANYONE?
                      Would love to see a fanfic on Helen/Titanic/Abnormal involvement *hmm that sounded better in my head* It won't be me writing it tho' as I haven't written fanfic in ages (and that was for a different show) so I wouldn't know where to start. Any volunteers? *but please no nightmare inducing ficcies with Olaf *

Originally Posted by Skydiver: As to Olaf....stress relief. I think Helen doesn't even consider looking for a husband or life mate. I think she
                      just 'has fun' and 'loves them and leaves them'

*falls into shaft, straight down into the gutter*
                      Right there with ya...is there room for two?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
                        Maybe because it was a "stranded in the water" ep DK thought it would be cool to reference Molly Brown, but in his effort to point out a famous woman that Helen knew he didn't check the historical facts and if you don't have the the facts then don't go there.
                        Or maybe Damian decided that since his world of Sanctuary isn't exactly the same as ours that in his world Molly Brown did pick up Helen.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                          Or maybe Damian decided that since his world of Sanctuary isn't exactly the same as ours that in his world Molly Brown did pick up Helen.
                          Which is exactly why I said "This is why I imagine that an abnormal was involved because dang it abnormals are always involved."
                          Last edited by wine_buyer; 07 December 2009, 07:47 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

Maybe she wanted Will around rather than Bigfoot or Henry because he wouldn't have coddled her like them. In Eulogy, Will was the only one willing to get into her face about stopping her search for Ashley, and he's kinda backed off on probing how she feels since then.

I can see Will as kind of middle ground for coping for Helen, she didn't want to be coddled but she didn't want to be on her own either, so Will could be there to distract her with work or something.
                            Exactly how I saw it.
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
                              You mean this isn't real???
                              Of course it's real...welcome to my life!!!
                              Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                              what if molly went along with helen and kept it secret? molly sees what really brought helen up to the boat, and deciding not to freak out the rest of the passengers, just pulls helen aboard. then later, molly asks helen what was it in the water with her, and helen tells her the truth and asks her to keep it to herself. molly, being the forward thinking and cool chick she was, agrees.
                              there's a fic!
                              I agree...if it is historical fact that Molly Brown didn't pull anyone aboard the life boat, it's always plausible that perhaps she did but kept it secret to avoid being thrown overboard herself. Either way...I adore Molly Brown...the only good character in that infamous movie...Kathy Bates rocks!
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                                Of course it's real...welcome to my life!!!

I agree...if it is historical fact that Molly Brown didn't pull anyone aboard the life boat, it's always plausible that perhaps she did but kept it secret to avoid being thrown overboard herself. Either way...I adore Molly Brown...the only good character in that infamous movie...Kathy Bates rocks!
                                I agree!!

I grew up in Colorado and remember learning about Molly Brown in 4th grade Colorado history lessons. We had to do projects and I remember making her hat with chicken feathers and a sombrero. It was huge! Great character.

I like that Sanctuary folks are using historical references, even if they are not100% accurate. What history account is? History is written by the "winners" and there is usually a totally different perspective that isn't ever documented.

There is so little history in the public media that anything is better than nothing. Even just a little tidbit like Molly pulling Helen from the water might just be enough to prompt kids (both big and little ) to look her up and learn more. There is nothing wrong with that in my book.

Comment

Working...
                                X