No announcement yet.

Pavor Nocturnus (205)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the cut and the coat were 'proof' that it really happened.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by s72450 View Post
      This episode was possibly the best one yet. I've given the CGI department some bad grief in the previous episodes, but this time they knocked it out of the park. I think the CGI just looks better in gritty/dark scenes and it was amazing in here. I only noticed the green screen aspect once and that was when Amanda was walking around with the blue flashlight. It would outline her and not the CGI background.

Great storyline, a bit cliche, but I think they made it work well. Amanda did fantastic, especially the hose scene which made me very uncomfortable at first before I realized what was happening.

Will and the mullet made me giggle, but overall, I though Robin did a great job.

A+ across the boards, this is what makes the show awesome!
      Great episode, indeed. I've been a bit more forgiving of the SFX issues than most. But yes, this week's episode was notably better in that department. I noticed the flashlight, too, which is also an issue that the webisodes had. I just kinda figured they weren't going to do those kinds of shots anymore...

There was a definite difference between last week's fiasco of an episode and this one. If Sanctuary has more eps like "Pavor" and less like "Hero," I think the show will be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by helenmagnus23 View Post
        I agree

My shippy heart went into overdrive hearing what John done it's kind of Romeo,Juliet style .
        Yeap he can't live with out her; can you image the pain and thoughts running thru his mind, Helen is gone same as Ashley and he is the one left alone; there is Tesla but somehow it isn't the same so he does what Helen did, look/do something that would end up is life.

When I saw the scene when Helen asked about the others; you can see she looks hurt when Will tells her what Druitt did; so I concluded that Helen still feels something for him after all he's done she is still in love with him. (and I’m not one to ship any couple in a show since I know tptb won’t give it to us; but this two are going there in my book; I think their past have something to do with that)

Things have change since he is kind of "back to normal" after Tesla's "Electrotherapy" and his concern and pain after losing Ashley; so to me she feels something for him still.
        sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Mack_1 View Post
          When I saw the scene when Helen asked about the others; you can see she looks hurt when Will tells her what Druitt did; so I concluded that Helen still feels something for him after all he's done she is still in love with him.
          I wouldn't go that far. I think she still remembers the man she fell in love with and has trouble separating him from the Druitt we have now; especially considering he has been redeeming himself of sorts.

I think rationally she tells herself that her Druitt is gone, but sometimes her heart tries to tell her different. She was clearly pained by his death and the reason for it.

On a slightly related note, it would have been interesting to know whether the remaining members of the five were immune to the disease.
          sigpic
          by Kaaatie

Comment

Originally posted by doylefan22 View Post
            I wouldn't go that far. I think she still remembers the man she fell in love with and has trouble separating him from the Druitt we have now; especially considering he has been redeeming himself of sorts.

I think rationally she tells herself that her Druitt is gone, but sometimes her heart tries to tell her different. She was clearly pained by his death and the reason for it.

On a slightly related note, it would have been interesting to know whether the remaining members of the five were immune to the disease.
            Yeah I think you are right; but she does feels something for him; then again she would have reacted the same way if Will had say Tesla did something similar. We all saw how she looked at him after he went thru the electrifying chamber (twice), when they were retrieving the Source Blood last season.

Tesla: “Your Father really didn’t like me, did he?”

Helen: "You are an acquired taste.” LOL

see that’s why I don't do the ship thing I would take it too far lol

And that brings me to your question; the only one remaining of the Five would be Tesla won't he?

Griffin is dead same as Druitt and Watson, Helen we saw the elixir did nothing to her uniqueness so Tesla is the one that probably was still out there but if he was why wasn’t he helping Will?
            sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

I read all of the posts and I don't think I have seen this point addressed. In season one and the few episodes of season two that have aired so far, the fact that Will is "an extremely observant profiler" has been shown over and over again. He notices things and emotions that might pass by other peoples radar - so - how come he didn't notice the undercurrent of Magnus being uncomfortable in the final scene? I watched the episode twice and both times the end bugged me but I couldn't figure out why. Then it hit me that the whole sunshiny beautiful day thing didn't ring true for Will's character in the face of Helen's discomfort. Yes she was trying to hide it but it was there and someone as close to her as Will (especially with his background) would have/should have noticed.

I wish the final scene had played something along the lines of Will saying: "I know that something went down. You obviously don't want to talk about it right now but I'll be here when you're ready."

Just an observation and curious to see if anyone else felt the same.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
                I read all of the posts and I don't think I have seen this point addressed. In season one and the few episodes of season two that have aired so far, the fact that Will is "an extremely observant profiler" has been shown over and over again. He notices things and emotions that might pass by other peoples radar - so - how come he didn't notice the undercurrent of Magnus being uncomfortable in the final scene? I watched the episode twice and both times the end bugged me but I couldn't figure out why. Then it hit me that the whole sunshiny beautiful day thing didn't ring true for Will's character in the face of Helen's discomfort. Yes she was trying to hide it but it was there and someone as close to her as Will (especially with his background) would have/should have noticed.

I wish the final scene had played something along the lines of Will saying: "I know that something went down. You obviously don't want to talk about it right now but I'll be here when you're ready."

He did know something was up with her.

If you watch again, when he is asking her about the tomb and she said she didn't find it that she kept looking and found nothing; you can see the surprise in his face he didn't believe her; then he goes like "wow all the research you did, I can't believe you just went down there like that" (I know this are not his words exactly but they sound like that to me) then Helen said something about a waste of time and money in a very casual manner you see that look again but more subdue .

He looks at her and he knows Helen won't tell him what is bothering her at that moment so he does the next thing calling attention to the "beautiful day" giving her an out, but he does noticed she is unsettle.

To me the final scene was really good it left you with the weight of what she went thru and what she still has in her life eventhough Ashley's gone.
                sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

Yeah, I think Will knew something had happened but respected her privacy too much to ask. She is his friend but she's also his boss and mentor. I think sometimes there's a line he won't cross.

Although it has to be said, he seemed to genuinely believe she was just put out because she hadn't found the tomb.
                  Last edited by doylefan22; 09 November 2009, 01:58 PM.
                  sigpic
                  by Kaaatie

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    the cut and the coat were 'proof' that it really happened.
                    I'm not so sure. Helen said the coat was one of her own, and it looked like something she'd wear on a trek into the jungles of Hondurus (and isn't it the same one she wore in Eulogy?). I think if she'd suddenly gotten the coat and cut in that scene she'd look a bit more surprised.

I'm inclined to think she was already wearing the coat and had the cut when she picked up the artifact, and then the mist creature incorporated those aspects into her dream/hallucination in order to make it seem more real.

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post

Hmm, that's an interesting observation. He definitely noticed that she was down, but did seem to believe her when she said it was just because she didn't find the tomb. Perhaps after getting in her face, so to speak, about Ashley in Eulogy, he's backed off digging too much into her emotional state.

sigpic

Comment

Back in 2008, I had geared myself up so high in the running for the start of Sanctuary that when season 1 was actually broadcast I was so disappointed. Not that I'm saying that I hated what I was watching but it wasn't exactly winning me over. The only thing that really keeps me watching was Amanda Tapping.

Now a year later for the first time since before the first episode of the first season I was really geared up for an episode of Sanctuary judging by what I saw in the trailer, promo, and pics...only this time I wasn't disappointed. Pavor Nocturnus was a great episode! Amanda was just amazing! The shower scene was a shock to see and I applaud Amanda and TPTB for being brave enough to bring that sequence together. I hope this isn't the last time we get to see Helen out of her depth and put through the ringer like this.

I'm a fan of movies 28 Days Later..., Resident Evil, and I Am Legend and this episode certainly seems to take elements from all of these movies and bring them together to make a brilliantly dark and brutal episode for Sanctuary.

One incredibly minor issue...I wasn't all that struck on the last seen between Helen and Will looking through the Sanctuary window. The actor who plays Will was saying his lines in such a way that at the moment when when they look through the window I thought he was going to break into singing "Zippity do da". He was a little bit too fluffy and light for my liking.

I hope I see more more episodes like this.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I Just watched the end of it again, but tehre was no cut on her hand when he was talking with Will at the end
                        Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
                        Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

What a great episode that was... WOW! Kudos to everybody concerned, especially after last weeks outing which made my teeth curl.

Just a couple of things:

1. The mullet. WTF! Does Armageddon mean you lose all sense of style? Seriously, any self-respecting cannibal monster seeing that would be put right off their grub.

2. A two minute wrap at the end. Boy, that brings back many happy memories of ST:TNG *sigh* Those were the days.

On the whole, though, if more of the episodes we can expect are of this standard then I have high hopes indeed.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                            I hope this isn't the last time we get to see Helen out of her depth and put through the ringer like this.
                            i really like the way you put this.

she's usually so cool about things (been there, done that), but something like this is something that even if you 'have' been through it before, you couldn't help still reacting strong.

more please!
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Mack_1
                              If you watch again..
                              If you insist!

He looks at her and he knows Helen won't tell him what is bothering her at that moment so he does the next thing calling attention to the "beautiful day" giving her an out, but he does noticed she is unsettle.

To me the final scene was really good it left you with the weight of what she went thru and what she still has in her life eventhough Ashley's gone.
                              I didn't get the feeling that he noticed that she was unsettled but now I will have to re-watch the episode to see if I missed anything.

I agree with you 100% on Helen leaving you with weight of what she's been through. Amanda played it beautifully (as usual). It was Will I had the problem with and I am still not sure of his part in the final scene.

Originally Posted by doylefan22
                              Although it has to be said, he seemed to genuinely believe she was just put out because she hadn't found the tomb.
                              That was the vibe that I originally got which is why I wanted other viewers takes on the final scene. I wasn't sure if I was reading too much or too little into Will's behavior.

Originally Posted by EvenstarSRV
                              Hmm, that's an interesting observation. He definitely noticed that she was down, but did seem to believe her when she said it was just because she didn't find the tomb. Perhaps after getting in her face, so to speak, about Ashley in Eulogy, he's backed off digging too much into her emotional state.
                              Very good point! I hadn't considered this possibility. Maybe the "holly-jolly" Will was just his way of going easy on her and letting the subject drop.
                              sigpic

Comment

The episode started off with a very eerie feeling, with Helen waking up on the floor and the way they filmed it in black & white.
                                It wasn't black and white. Desaturated, sure, but there was still plenty of color there.

Comment

Working...
                                X