Pavor Nocturnus (205)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    I'm usually the first one to criticize when shows show skin seemingly for the sake of showing skin. Not the case here.

In this instance, it was part of the story. I think it made the scene gut clenching. It was a horrifying scene--more so than the zombies. The "daring" thing from an acting standpoint was showing Helen's terror, etc. imho.
    Totally agree, the situation they were in call to that extremist acts, the whole “hose her down” and check her over was to make sure she was "normal" and not contaminated but it look so crude and harsh just because they were push to do it like that due the extreme way they have to live. (That’s what that gadget did right? the one that guy pass over her after the washing down, It look like a mini scanner)

Nudity isn't one of my favorite’s scenes for an actor/actress I admired but when they managed to do it with taste and portraying the story they are trying to tell is acceptable in my book. In this case they did, I didn’t “like it” but somehow it call for that

It wasn't of bad taste or sexually implying; at first you couldn’t understand but it make sense after Will asked Magnus if she didn’t check the girl before for contamination and she goes no it was necessary to do it. (do this make sense??)
    sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

the shower scene just goes to show how brutal and 'hard core' the world was.

things like modesty, politeness, decency, they're gone. all that matters is survival.

and you don't survive if you let infected people into your midst
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by doylefan22 View Post
        I think it's the Latin name for night terrors so I was assuming a nightmares type thing - although that could mean several things. It could have been pointing to a vision/terrible nightmare, could have been referring to it being Helen's worst nightmare.

Interesting to speculate whether it was a proper future vision or whether it was a worst case scenario. Was the creature showing her what would definitely happen, or what could happen if she took it?
        I think it was the mist creature showing Helen what would happen if she took that vial, that it would release this plague that would wipeout all life. It seemed like something like that had happen to the Mayan kings, but they were able to contain the plague before it spread beyond their kingdom.

Originally posted by wurlitzer153 View Post
        Podcast is up already?

*checks podcast page*

Yes, yes it is!
        http://www.syfy.com/sanctuary/podcasts.php
        Wow, that was fast. I guess they caught on to all the Sanctuary fans bugging them for the podcast every week!

sigpic

Comment

Wow! What a great podcast! Some very interesting factuaries.

A lot of it was OT, but it's very fun at those parts!

I look forward to the commentaries for the DVD too.

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.
          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
            Wow! What a great podcast! Some very interesting factuaries.

A lot of it was OT, but it's very fun at those parts!

I look forward to the commentaries for the DVD too.

suse
            Me 2! and I do hope they put those deleted scenes and alternate endings like they said they did in this episode
            sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
              When he said "We had a child."
              I was like WTF?! And then "Kate and I." And I'm like oh thank GOD!
              And then WTF?! Kate?!
              i was too, in thinking it was helen/will.

i mean, it's not that they're gross together, it's just robin's got that 20 something look to him that...
              sally

sigpic

Comment

first, i don't understand your sigpic.

second, see below...

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                That was a very interesting aspect, Helen was so devastated by Ashley's death that she went searching for something to, in a way, end her own life.
                i'm sooo glad they had it be b/c of ashley! that *needed* to be seen by the viewers, that helen was still grieving.

but wow, poor helen!!

It does make it seem like this ep was suppose to come before Hero, though I guess they didn't want 4 dark/intense episodes in a row
                i'm thinking so too, even if it was jarring. but i 'did' enjoy 'hero'.

Very good ep, though I figured it was all a dream/hallucination pretty early on.
                i wondered how they were going to get out of this.

now here's the question i want answered (which wasn't according to the podcast): did the mist creature show helen the future, or what 'might' happen (a scare tactic) of a future?

and i've got to say again, that shower scene was massively intense. i 'almost' made me feel like i wanted to cry, because it felt like a rape scene. and of course, amanda's fantastic acting made it all the more disturbing!

and robin really did great in this ep too! i've never seen him so powerful. well done, robin!
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                  Very good episode! I really enjoyed it! I never considered her to be patient zero... that was great! Also the smoke/spirit element was cool, because of what it revealed to be in the end. I didn't pay much attention to it at first
                  i didn't suspect helen to be patient zero either! can you imagine the guilt with that?!

also, did anyone else think that the mist creature might have been ashley?...
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mack_1 View Post
                    Will and Kate surprise, also agree with the reasoning of how they got together; out of desperation and grief the baby’s name totally awesome.
                    IF kate ended up with anyone, i'd prefer henry.

(will/ashley)

The last scene I thought Helen was about to hug Will, very touchy scene and at the same time emotional.
                    the end scene was bitter/sweet.

the way helen was looking at everything, like with a reverence b/c of her experience, and looking at wil with the same thankfulness and love... but it was sad of *why* she went through all that in the first place.

but i don't think that empty feeling will ever truly go away... not when you've lost a child. she might be more appreciative right now, but her daughter's still dead, and helen's still living on and on... argh, i'm making myself sad again.

ptb, if you're reading this, DO NOT KILL OFF HELEN.
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sandra-carter View Post

Also liked when Will touched her and she was terrified, they really spooking it.
                      i also like that this is where helen got really ticked about being touched! like, one more person touch me, and i'm going to rip off your arm!
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post

Loved the mention of Ashley and that her loss would drive Helen to want to end her longevity. That's the kind of thing I want, not entire eps mourning Ashley but some mention, some fallout.
                        i hope this isn't dropped. will doesn't know 'why' she went to do this mission (only the apocWill does), but helen will never forget the loss of her child.

i don't know if i can call this suicidal thoughts, but wanting to end her longevity makes sense.

i like this theme. it's dark, depressing, and dramatic. and real.

but like you said, it doesn't have to be brought up constantly.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                          I'm usually the first one to criticize when shows show skin seemingly for the sake of showing skin. Not the case here.

In this instance, it was part of the story. I think it made the scene gut clenching. It was a horrifying scene--more so than the zombies. The "daring" thing from an acting standpoint was showing Helen's terror, etc. imho.
                          the scene wasn't exploitive at all for me.

it was the directing, and amanda's incredible acting that made the scene personal and disturbingly intimate.

hmm, let's see; we've given amanda how many awards so far this season? 5 eps, and we've given her 4 awards already?
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            first, i don't understand your sigpic.
                            Hee! Lemmings---> Lemons

now here's the question i want answered (which wasn't according to the podcast): did the mist creature show helen the future, or what 'might' happen (a scare tactic) of a future?
                            It seemed to me that the vial contained the substance that allowed the Mayan king to shorten his lifespan. The mist creature, maybe even the spirit of that king, showed Helen what would happen if she tried to use what was in the vial to give herself a normal lifespan. By choosing not to take the vial in the end, Helen has prevented that future from happening.

i hope this isn't dropped. will doesn't know 'why' she went to do this mission (only the apocWill does), but helen will never forget the loss of her child.

i don't know if i can call this suicidal thoughts, but wanting to end her longevity makes sense.

i like this theme. it's dark, depressing, and dramatic. and real.

but like you said, it doesn't have to be brought up constantly.
                            Yeah, I wouldn't say that Helen was suicidal either, just perhaps less tolerant of the prospect of living forever when one of her main reasons for living is now gone.

Another thought I had was that, while I wished they could have spent a bit more time on Ashley being the reason for Helen going on that search, the whole future she saw can sort of been seen as a representation of her emotional state without Ashley. There's no sunshine, no hope, no meaning for why it's happening, and Helen bears the responsibility for starting it all.

But then at the end, standing in the sunshine with Will, I think Helen's come to terms with life without Ashley a bit more, and while she can't quite see the great day that Will does, it's still a not bad one.

sigpic

Comment

and robin really did great in this ep too! i've never seen him so powerful. well done, robin!
                              AboutRobin: Yes he did.

Since the Mayan’s mysteriously disappeared (were wipe out of the face of the heart) it was established (at least for me) that the vile had something to do with it; the misty guardian, I think just show Helen a vision of what could happen if she took the artifact. A may be glimpse of a possible future.

When Helen reached the conclusion she was patient cero and the zombies enter the lab the vision ended, she was still in the tomb, she still had the artifact in her hands and the mist was there; I took it as if, as soon Helen got the artifact the vision was release so she would understand how dangerous would be if she was allowed to take the idol with her.

also, did anyone else think that the mist creature might have been ashley?...
                              No, I don’t think so, it had the power to show Helen that vision and guide her through it; Helen said the Mayans were abnormals too, so for all I/we know it was an abnormal with the same gift as Helen, immortality; it has been guarding the tomb since it knew what will happen once the content in the vial were set free what it could do to people.

For what we saw the elixir didn’t affect Helen the way she wanted too so it was even harder to know that she had cause the extinction of humanity in her desperation and pain.

IF kate ended up with anyone, i'd prefer henry.

(will/ashley)

the end scene was bitter/sweet.

the way helen was looking at everything, like with a reverence b/c of her experience, and looking at wil with the same thankfulness and love... but it was sad of *why* she went through all that in the first place.

but i don't think that empty feeling will ever truly go away... not when you've lost a child. she might be more appreciative right now, but her daughter's still dead, and helen's still living on and on... argh, i'm making myself sad again.

ptb, if you're reading this, DO NOT KILL OFF HELEN.
                              I’ll prefer Henry too but he died; that’s why I think Will and Kate got together.

Ashley is gone too as Magnus, Big Guy, Druitt…so desperation-companionship-friendship; I guest in the end was what push them to end up together.

Totally love that end scene and I agree, that empty feeling will stay with her don’t matter how much time goes by…really really sad, Ash was her life, her center point and now she is gone; so it does make sense she wanted to find something that would help her break the Immortality gift/curse she has.

and yes she may be more appreciative of what she has now but the pain and the lose is going to be there no matter what.

JMHP
                              ---------------------------------------------------------

“Life without purpose isn’t… life”
                              sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                                But then at the end, standing in the sunshine with Will, I think Helen's come to terms with life without Ashley a bit more, and while she can't quite see the great day that Will does, it's still a not bad one.
                                Nicely put. Poor Helen. What a thing to have to come to terms with.

Hehe. Can't you feel it? It's like sunshine....

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X