Eulogy (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
    I think the cathedral is part of the sanctuary.
    I assumed that too. It's a pretty big place.
    Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
    Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
      I assumed that too. It's a pretty big place.
      Yep, me too. Plus, I believe they said something along those lines in the podcast as well.

I could have heard wrong, though.

It makes sense, too. And it's very fitting to have a memorial there.
      you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

I think the cathedral is part of the sanctuary.
        I'm pretty sure it is, you get a glimpse of it in the crane shot from Revelations part 1 when Druitt and Helen walked down to steps into the central lab, and from a distance in those overhead daytime exterior shots.

I'm really torn about whether I'd want Ashley to possibly return or not. The 'no one really dies in sci-fi' thing is such a cliche, but there are shows where they did it well and it didn't just reset the characters. I think the creative team on this show could pull it off if they wanted to.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah after watching this episode again on Hulu. The desert flashbacks are more about Helen putting to rest the remains of the shaman. The Indian tells her now his people can rest. By Helen letting Ashley go, her crew can rest and come to terms. However I am still not, as a fan, getting any closure from her death. The memorial service was in a great setting, lighting was great, music wonderful!

However everyone put something in Ashely's casket. I would have liked small stories to have been behind each object. Maybe we will see that in the future? Big guy put a doll, Henry a book and will a rose. I am sure the producers of the show want us to take in Kate ASAP and have us all move on. But that is going to be hard since Ashely was such a great character.

I agree with a post put up about how the Kate story line took alot of emotions away from the loss of Ashely. So I did what people suggested and skipped the Henry/Kate side show and it made the ending so much more powerful.

Spoiler:
          Since its been confirmed by Ms. Tapping that EU is really gone my poker nights are now back on and I will just watch the show whenever I get the chance rather than stay home. I am so mad she is really gone.

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
          Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by WishIwasJoes View Post
            I agree with a post put up about how the Kate story line took alot of emotions away from the loss of Ashely.
            Yeah... I wasn't a fan of such contrasting and unrelated storylines put together either. Methinks, the Ashley story would have been much more poignant had they focused on that, with Druitt and the Cabal as the secondary storyline.

Spoiler:
            Since its been confirmed by Ms. Tapping that EU is really gone my poker nights are now back on and I will just watch the show whenever I get the chance rather than stay home. I am so mad she is really gone.
            Aww, come now. Give it a shot. Losing Ashley is still fresh (wow, I'm so dramatic) but you don't want to give up on a potentially fantastic season over one unfortunate event.

Just a thought.
            you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              I agree. I always thought the mother-daughter thing was much more interesting than Ashly as the "kick butt" character. sure that was part of her personality, but there was so much left to do with her and her relationship with Helen--which would be good for both characters.
              If they did this just to increase the "jeopardy" it really turns me off.
              If EU had to leave for some reason of her own, that would help me cope. But I still think losing Ashley stinks for the show as a whole.

Yep.

On another note, I was thinking about the way Helen sees Ashley in her daydreams/visions. Ashley is her sweet girl, not some kick butt team member.
              Excellent point about how Helen sees Ashley in the daydreams.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I think the only thing to do now is just to remain hopeful that Ashley/EU will be back.

There that been hints at her being gone for good and hints that she will be back so we will just have to wait and see.

Although i am holding onto the belief that all the hints that she is gone are just there to screw with our heads and cause us to go crazy on the forums and are just there to generate a response from the fans.

I will be very disappointed if she is gone for good
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah... I wasn't a fan of such contrasting and unrelated storylines put together either. Methinks, the Ashley story would have been much more poignant had they focused on that, with Druitt and the Cabal as the secondary storyline.
                  I liked the episode - including both storylines. Not only did it give everyone something to do, but also I think it was the perfect story to show how desperate Helen was to prove Ashley was alive despite the fact everyone else had accepted her death. They had all moved on with the task of putting the Sanctuaries back together. How many of us have lost someone close to us and felt like time seemed to be standing still while the world kept turning. I think the eppy was a good example of this ... everyone else had moved on while Helen stayed in her office trying to prove the impossible.

They may be saving John and Dana's showdown for John's eppy even if it's shown in a flashback (I'm just guessing). I don't think John killed Dana - not in this episode anyways. In my opinion Dana would not have been out in the open drinking tea/coffee so carelessly while John was out killing members of the Cabal. Dana has always been shown to be very calculated in her dealings with the Sanctuary. Otherwise it's bad writing for her to be out in the public like that (and I don't associate DK and company with bad writing). I think Dana was setting him up and was just drawing him out. Everything the Cabal learned from the super soldiers maybe allowed Dana to have a few surprises for John and his teleporting abilities. I mean something has to keep John away from the Sanctuary for a few episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

On another note, I was thinking about the way Helen sees Ashley in her daydreams/visions. Ashley is her sweet girl, not some kick butt team member.
                    ... i wonder if ashley's spirit lives on, and that's what helen was sensing?

if the writers went in this direction, i could actually find myself... i don't know, believing it, b/c of what ashley was able to do, teleporting herself here and there. maybe she's stuck in some limbo?...
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                      They had all moved on with the task of putting the Sanctuaries back together.
                      Hmm, you know, if there was more of that - actually dealing with rebuilding the network - I would have liked it better. And it would still convey that feeling you talk about, which I think is a wonderful concept. I just didn't like the execution.

Or perhaps I just wasn't that wild about this particular story... Either way, it felt jarring to me instead, drawing away from the main storyline instead of feeding it.

Comment

Originally posted by AresLover452 View Post
                        Ashley was the one good thing John ever gave to Helen.
                        i agree.

and that made me think of the scene where helen saw olderversion john come in, followed by ashley... that was *so* sad, b/c it reflected helen's deepest wish... i know i've stated this before, but that scene is haunting me.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          one interpretation about the flashbacks....in them Helen was looking for something the whole world said didn't exist. Everyone was telling her that she was a fool, she was wasting her time, etc.

but she persevered and ended up finding the mythical place.

substitute 'mythical place' for 'ashley' and it's a bit of a commentary on her search for her daughter. Henry, Biggy, Will, likely Tesla, John, were all telling her 'helen, she's gone' but she didn't want to believe.

and i think, while she finally ceeded to them in the end, she did it more as an acknowledgment that life goes on and so does her responsibility...but she doesn't plan to give up searching for Ash...she's just going to be doing that searching more low key and discreet. I will bet, even though there's been a memorial service, Ash's room will be locked and untouched.

Helen may be moving on, but she's not giving up
                          re the highlight; i saw this in my head too. and if anyone tries to mess with it, including wil, bigfoot will stop them.

but i really agree with you on helen not 'really' giving in to the idea that she's gone, or giving up on finding her.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

i don't think it was Ashley's spirit Helen was seeing, i think i represented the part of her that just wanted her daughter back and to be a mother and her deepest desire to have a family like we saw in scene when John and Ashley walk in
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                              As the show lightens back up and gets back to business as usual, I think she'll fit into the show a bit better than she has so far, I hope at least.
                              i know the show will have to lighten up (we'd be constantly depressed if it didn't ), but i hope ashley's death isn't quickly ignored. i *hated* it when they did that on sg1 (janet), and seeing as this was helen DAUGHTER, i really, really hope it's brought up once in a while. (little things, like kate trying to go in ash's room and helen angrily stopping her).
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                helen won't confront john, john won't bring it up. they've agreed to disagree
                                what did john say again, about helen secretly liking that he's going to kill dana, but just not wanting to know about it? (i know that's not the way he said it)

one does have to wonder, though, how helen would have dealt with dana, if she'd gotten a hold of her instead. she was ready to shoot kate in the knee for holding back info, so how would she have reacted to her child's literal murderer?
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X