Wingman (315)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lizzy4ever View Post
    I think it's a way to make a cheaper episode after you made costly ones.
    I wasn't glad to hear we'd get only 13 episodes for season 4, but if this means less 'weak' episodes like this one I won't complain.
    Several shows still use clip shows, serial ones like Lost or BSG to catch casual viewers up on ongoing story arcs, or shows like Stargate where it's almost a production necessity (along with bottle shows) to save money so they can afford bigger, more expensive episodes like season finales. Considering Sanctuary's usually tight budget, I'm not surprised that they likely needed a clip show and the other bottle-type shows we've had (Hangover, One Night), these last few episodes in order to afford the expensive ones coming up (Normandy, etc) and make-up for the expensive eps from S3.0 (Hollow Men, etc).

BSG had similar seasons to me when they went from 13 to 20 eps, strong first half followed by a weak 3rd quarter and ending in a strong final 3-4 episodes. Sanctuary looks to make a similar recovery starting with next week's episode, so I personally don't mind clip shows like this since they help pay for the 'bigger, better' episodes down the line.

And I love Erica's line "She looks always so prim and proper". She hasn't witnessed bad-ass Magnus yet
    Heh, yeah, I think even though the writers weren't expecting the move to Monday night, the flashbacks may help new viewers get caught up a bit on some aspects of the show that we haven't seen much of the last few episodes (Magnus fighting, Henry doing his tech stuff, all the abnormals, etc).

sigpic

Comment

Wow, so why does "cheap show" have to equate to a "Helen Magnus"-less show? I wouldn't mind the lack of action or FX if it were written well... but this is just a cheesy as hell episode. Tackey story and I agree with the hate for Abbey.

I also don't like the way they've dealt with her in the show. She popped up when, start of S03? And then nothing for at least 10 eps, and then suddenly she's back and on a date with Will? And then in Metamorphosis she is mentioned, but he doesn't contact her back or anything, and then now they're on a date?

I don't like it when they do this with the show... just like how they got back from Hollow Earth and they completely ignored they'd been there until they contacted Ranna in E14?

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
        That part when Abby asks "what's going on now?" and Henry says "still don't know I'm in the same van as you"...why does that sound familiar??

Actually, the best part was the end...love how Helen had the angliotti ready for Henry...a bit miffed that Will took it...cheeky bugger.
        Ok, so Helen actually made the dinner or did she get Alfredo to deliver even though he doesn't?? Either way, that was sweet and the best part of the ep for me.
        The Abby and Henry conversation is a bit like one Woolsey and O'Neill have in Atlantis' Return Part II.

Is it me or is Will regressing a bit? Swipping Henry's angliotti was just low and who in their right mind walks into a room where your boss is looking like that?

For a clip show it wasn't bad. Thankfully the Abby annoyingness was balanced out with the chemistry between Henry and Erica. They are cute together but breaking them up frees the writers to play with the chemistry between Henry and Kate more.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          Just some observations...

Only thing that really made me smile was Henry and Erica's geek talk. Other than that, I was less impressed with this ep, and not just because it was a clip episode. Let's just say, I was able to play Words with Friends while watching cos I certainly wasnt on the edge of my seat.

Actually I thought the example they used was poor if they where geeking out over audio formats it would have been 192 kHz/24-bit and using a pro +10db system to play it back non of this lossy formats and mobile phones and land lines allways rubbish audio wise - for good technical reasons to save bandwidth.
          ----------------------------
          You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by Julian View Post
            I also don't like the way they've dealt with her in the show. She popped up when, start of S03? And then nothing for at least 10 eps, and then suddenly she's back and on a date with Will? And then in Metamorphosis she is mentioned, but he doesn't contact her back or anything, and then now they're on a date?

I don't like it when they do this with the show... just like how they got back from Hollow Earth and they completely ignored they'd been there until they contacted Ranna in E14?
            This is my problem, too. I liked how they tried at least to deal with consequenses after Kali but we saw Will mutate into a bug last episode and they don´t even mention it?
            This is one of the things I used to mind about Stargate (SG1, mostly). Something happened and they basically deleted it in following episodes.

I like Will a lot but I hate how they wrote him in this episode. He was rude and Abby? Seriously? He can do better than that. Not mentioning that she took a screentime from Kate who is, if I am not mistaken one of the main characters?
            I hope in more team episodes in the future.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

I understand where all of you guys are coming from as far as disliking the episode. I personally didn't like it as much as the others, One night was not my favorite because I hate Abby. I will defend the fact that I didn't think it was a clip show, it was mainly Abby or Erica asking about things and using flashbacks to tell the story to answer the questions.

Im sure the ratings will go up for next week though, Teslas in it.

Comment

I thought this was definitely better than the last 2 eps. I didn't mind the flashbacks, but I kept thinking that this was one of those episodes where they were able to save some money. I liked the "good job Henry" bunch the best, and then thought it was funny how they then showed a bunch of times when he messed up.

The van shaking scene - that type of scene has been used so many times - but they still had fun with it and I was immediately thinking 'okay so what are they really doing?' I like Henry and Erica together, especially when they get excited about techie stuff and you can tell they both love it and love that the other one loves it.

Abby? Well she's still not my favorite character by any means but she didn't seem quite as annoying as the other eps, most of the time.

I agree the last scene with Will and Abby walking in half dressed and stealing the food was tacky. Like they had to announce to everyone "hey we just did it!" Just poor taste especially with your boss. Someone needs to teach these kids some manners.
                sigpic
                Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                  Not too bad for a mostly clip show. I'm likely in the minority, but I usually rather enjoy ciip shows if the story framework for the flashbacks is done well, with BSG's Downloaded probably being the best I've seen.

Wingman wasn't quite as successful, but it still worked for me because of the character interactions and the framework of a classic Sanctuary monster-hunt. Plus the Super!Magnus and 'well done Henry' montages were quite fun to see.
                  yes. "But she seems so prim and proper." I thought they handled the clips pretty well. I didn't time it, but it *felt* like only 1/2 clips.

Though the 'date night gone wrong' idea is beyond done at this point IMO. If we see Abby or Erika again I sincerely hope the writers come up with better reasons for their presence.
                  too true. I was thinking: what is this, date night at the Sanctuary? I did love Magnus' "Perfect, you 4 can take the van."
                  That and "you realize that has ceased to be a rhetorical question."

The Henry and Erika storyline was my favorite, they played off each other well and it was nice to see the progression of their relationship from Animus, as well as Henry's continuing journey of dealing with being a HAP. I didn't care for Abby and Will anymore than I did in One Night, but at least this time Henry and Erika were able to break up the pairing more.
                  Yes, Will and Abby are painful to me. And that ending 1/2 clothed scene. ish.

Overall enjoyable despite W & A. Not on my must re-watch list though.

and I want my Magnus back.
                  Last edited by jckfan55; 11 May 2011, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steff View Post
                    Yes, this part was disappointing for me also. Helen had raised Henry from a young boy and this seemed to be a glimpse into a sweet mother son moment. I think that she had this prepared for him if things did not go will with Erika. So yes, I was disappointed when the other two rudely interrupted the moment. And I didn't like their dress, or lack of, at all.
                    yes. Another reason to dislike these two.

Comment

yeah, if they were going to steal food they could have at least been dressed but slightly disheveled and 'man we're hungry' and henry goes 'what have you been doing' helen says 'henry....' implying 'my son, if you have to ask...'

it just felt frathousy
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

LOL, I actually didn't mind that scene so much mainly because of the look Helen gave Will. She was polite asking if they were joining them however you could see in her eyes she was thinking, we are so going to talk about this later. Boy would I love to be a fly on the wall for that discussion. LOL

My favorite scene though has to be when Magnus asks them to pick up the crate, you can just see how badly they all want out of it then when she tells them why she's busy and both say Noooooooo to monitoring that things cervix...I mean come on that was PRICELESS.
                        Sanctuary RULES!!!!
                        Melissa

Comment

I must say the show has changed for the worst. Dont get me wrong, it is still great but if this downward spiral continues, I may stop watching. First of all, Will has become a lot more immature and childish like the other. I would have preferred if he remained an adult Helen could relate to instead of joining the others in their carefree nature.

I have to agree with the others. Abby has really pulled down the show. She is getting too much airtime and is really cheapening the show for me. I would love to see more of John, Nikola and yes, more Magnus. They would add more of an adult aspect to Sanctuary and increase my dying interest.

With that said, I STILL LOVE SANCTUARY!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MelissaAdams View Post
                            LOL, I actually didn't mind that scene so much mainly because of the look Helen gave Will. She was polite asking if they were joining them however you could see in her eyes she was thinking, we are so going to talk about this later. Boy would I love to be a fly on the wall for that discussion. LOL
                            Yes - this! Will does take too many liberties. He doesn't see Helen so much as boss as mother hen, and after his time being the outcast in his jobs, he finds himself in a place where he is comfortable. And he is getting comfortable. Helen was not pleased with him at all, but you could tell she was more concerned with loving on Henry than scolding Will at that moment. He'll get told off, probably off-camera, but Helen Magnus does not tolerate that in her house! LOL

Originally posted by Dutchess View Post
                            I would love to see more of John, Nikola and yes, more Magnus. They would add more of an adult aspect to Sanctuary and increase my dying interest.

With that said, I STILL LOVE SANCTUARY!!!!!!
                            Yes and yes!
                            Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                            Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

*sigh* All I can say is that at least we appear to get eps that focus on the grownups for the rest of the season.

My Bullets:

1. I love you, Sanctuary, but this half-season has been extraordinarily underwhelming.

2. I'll grant you a clip show after 7 season, but after 2.5? No way.

3. Will *sigh* He just doesn't have the gravitas to carry a show. Sorry. I do not believe him as this brilliant mind for a minute with all the dumb stuff he does. I think it's safe to say that I'm smarter than Will, and while I am a fairly intelligent person, I am very, very far from rocket scientist smart. (And I'm totally okay with that! I have friends who are rocket scientists, and I don't particularly want their lives. )

4. If I wanted to see teenagers on a date, I'd watch Gossip Girl. These are grown men in their 30s, they need to be men. And before anyone gets all, "but Henry was going to propose to that girl," his reasons for proposing were gigantically adolescent. It was the 'she makes me feel all warm and mushy inside.' There was no commitment, trust, relationship there at all.

5. I'm hoping beyond hope that the last 5 eps give more of the Sanctuary grownups. Don't get me wrong, I love good team eps. "Bank Job" was really fun and enjoyable because Magnus was the center but we got to see the great things the rest of the team have to offer.

Don't mean to be a downer, because, I do love the show. It's just that they've set a very high bar, so when they fall, it's a long way down.
                              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

to be fair, sg1 had a clip show in its first season (politics)

I do agree that will is getting comfy in his job, too comfy maybe? too at ease? too cocky? it's like he has the knowledge of the abbies but not the respect for them.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X