One Night (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    For me it was a very meh ep because of the script however that was compounded by a pet hate of mine of fitting characters to plots instead of writing a character true to form and weaving them into the plot. I don't hate Will but he's not a fave of mine because, to me, they almost always fit him to the plot whether it makes sense of not.
    And yes, this eppy is joining Warriors in my "will not rewatch" pile. Thankfully it's an extremely small pile
    You hit the nail on the head...that's exactly how it feels.
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

10 minutes into the episode and no Helen or Henry or Biggie - I almost gave up this episode...

Comment

I won't be surprised if this episode gets less than 1.2 mil viewers; what a ****ty episode for the move on Mondays...

Comment

To me it felt like a filler ep...something to fill in the time rather then something to engross the mind...it was like a sedative for me which is kinda good coz I need the sleep.
          Loved seeing Declan again...and I do admit, I love it when Robin puts on the English accent...he does it so well.
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Seriously Damian, What Were You Thinking?!?!?!?!?

Abby has to be one of the worst examples of an FBI agent I have ever seen. She had me cringing with almost everything she did and Will wasn't much better.

Cringing and bored is not how you want your eps to be remembered! As mentioned by others, there were a few lighter, higher points to the episode back at the Sanctuary and looking out for Amanda's choice in shots was good but overall it's a meh eppy for me and goes in the never to be rewatched pile.

This was not an episode to introduce new people to the show on a new night *shudders*
            Good to hear I'm not alone. Welcome to the Snooze-uary. I never find Will particularly interesting, but if he's surrounded well he's ok. Abby was so annoying i was hoping she'd die.

When you're actually watching for the directing technique(a couple of cool moves) b/c the plot is so dull that's not a good sign imho. It seemed like the story took a long time to develop.

I did like the parts with Helen and the fact that the team back at the Sanctuary figured things out pretty quickly.

ETA: this is not to say I'll stop watching the show. I'm sure we'll get a few "hit out of the park" episodes yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              It almost read like a WIP, where the author forgets how many times she's played the 'do this or i shoot' card, and keeps playing it in every chapter.
              Yes, exactly. It felt like they didn't finish editing it before they started shooting it. For the first few minutes I was caught up and all excited, but after 10 minutes it started falling down. I remember looking at the clock 26 minutes in and about choking that it had actually gotten that far in with no Helen. Still didn't see her until a few minutes after that.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              I did think that Kate was funny in her combat gear. It looks like they put an XL on her because she was almost comically bulked up that she looked like a little kid playing dressup
              Yeah, reminded me of Jennifer Hailey in her blackhawk vest. I love seeing the little girls kick ass! (says a little girl)
              Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
              Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Wow, all these negative responses to the episode. I will agree though, it was a bit slow for Sanctuary. I was wondering if it was going to be just Will and Abby in the whole episode as well. Glad to see Biggie, Kate and Declan arrived... Helen needed a bit more face time... poor Henry wasn't even in the background of the video clip with Helen. I know RyRo was busy with other projects and Amanda was directing this, however, it was very slow going. Honestly, when I saw the commercial for it I was wondering if Abby would die in this episode.

Agreed - Abby was very whiny and then tried to confront their captor. They should have been shot sometime in the episode... there were too many open threats and nothing followed through.

Next week's episode looks better. I'm sure we'll get some awesome ratings for that one.

Comment

I have to agree with everyone that this was not a good episode.

The writing failed, the baddies were clichéd and badly acted, too much Will and Abbie, and it desperately needed a 'B' story.

Such a disappointment.
                  sigpic

Comment

OK, let's see, one night.
                    It's a disappointment after I was excited to watch two episodes that close to each other.
                    1- Why is it called one night?
                    2-Why do we have to see what Will does outside the sanctuary? I don't even like this character and I don't care what he does with his private life.
                    3-Where did they find that actress??? No looks, no acting skills, not convincing. NOTHING!!!!
                    4-I can't believe he didn't try to do anything to get away from the gang when they were first caught or even try to protect the girl with him. He just gave them the wallet.????!!!!! What was that???
                    5-I wasn't convinced that this gang was a killer gang. A real killer gang would not be fooled by the scorpion trick.
                    6-Magnus was away only to add more time to the episode.
                    7-I was OK with Will knowing some of the medical stuff coz he sees Magnus while working and could remember it. In addition to the basic medical stuff that every type of doctor studies when they join the school of Medicine. But what about his girlfriend??? She only depends on those basic stuff she learned at school and still she has some knowledge of what they were doing.
                    8- I liked that Will tried doing these medical stuff and actually succeeding. He's a fast learner. Even though it's not realistic, but hey, this is sci-fi.

This episode reminded me of
                    Spoiler:
                    SGU episode "Hope" (214). When T.J. performed that operation on Volker and Greer.

Comment

Well let me jump on the bandwagon saying this was one of the least 'interesting' episodes of the series but honestly every series has them. I watched both airings and they were interesting but not my favorites by any means.

Amanda did a fantastic job on directing hands down, I loved some of the shots and honestly before this show I never paid attention to stuff like that, but she did fantastic. Also let me say as well that I don't have Will, in fact he's quite fascinating but only when he's interacting with others, he's portrayed like Daniel in SG1 a little geeky which means playing in just his mind or his world is not really for most of us aka viewers.

On the feeling of Abby I have to say she's not twisting my chain yet, kind of goofy boring and honestly if she had acted like that and I had a gun I would have shot her.

The Kate/Declan/Biggie scenes were fantastic and I liked the whole Alfredo reference. This was definitely a filler episode you could tell and it accomplished what it HAD to but it did not surpass the bar for me.

Next week's episode though I'm REALLY looking forward to.
                      Sanctuary RULES!!!!
                      Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by Feast of the Muse View Post
                        Yes, exactly. It felt like they didn't finish editing it before they started shooting it. For the first few minutes I was caught up and all excited, but after 10 minutes it started falling down. I remember looking at the clock 26 minutes in and about choking that it had actually gotten that far in with no Helen. Still didn't see her until a few minutes after that.
                        While I wasn't too fussed with the lack of Helen, I think the pacing in the first half of the episode was a bit too slow to build any kind of tension. Instead of spending the entire first act with Will and Abby, I think it would have been better to cut back to Sanctuary earlier and provide some reason for Declan being there, like maybe he's been involved in the investigation of the ghost ship. It was quite nice to see Declan again, that first scene with him Kate and Biggie was probably my favorite of the ep.

For Will and Abby's parts, I think they could have cut out the second escape attempt and tightened up some of their banter scenes. The parts on the bench or them trying to analyze the bad guys behaviors worked best for me, considering they were both profilers I was expecting much more of that. But it was stuff like Will getting offended at Abby's suggestion that he was the wrong guy to kidnap that went on too long I think. I could kinda see it as a guy trying to impress a girl on a first date, but it felt out of place with what was happening to them.

On the bright side, this time the last couple of years would have been the end of the season but we've got 7 more episodes to look forward too!

sigpic

Comment

Seriously Damian, What Were You Thinking?!?!?!?!?

Abby has to be one of the worst examples of an FBI agent I have ever seen. She had me cringing with almost everything she did and Will wasn't much better.

Cringing and bored is not how you want your eps to be remembered! As mentioned by others, there were a few lighter, higher points to the episode back at the Sanctuary and looking out for Amanda's choice in shots was good but overall it's a meh eppy for me and goes in the never to be rewatched pile.

This was not an episode to introduce new people to the show on a new night *shudders*
                          Word. I was cringing most of the way thru it. Yeah, I'd place it above Warriors but not by much. And well below Hero.

There were a few times I liked Abby. She was amusing at the toilet. But Abby/Will... there was entirely too much chitchat/flirting for the situation they were in. Especially as their kidnappers were supposed to be hardened killers.

And I totally didn't buy her having all those poison darts in her in the same pattern Lead Bad Guy had them in. She'd have never stood for it, not as much as she hates needles... That's one of the few things that should have been changed on set that I'm disappointed Amanda didn't see. The dialogue. not much could save the bulk of that. Sorry Damian.

Hopefully this is the low point of the season. Hopefully Amanda had better luck with her directing script in S4.

Like Sky and several others I thought the Biggie/Kate/Declan conversation was wonderful. By far the best part of the ep. And Kate on the phone. Hehehehehe.

ETA: Ya know, it's not that the dialogue was so bad. It's the circumstances in which it was said.
                          Last edited by suse; 26 April 2011, 03:02 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                            For Will and Abby's parts, I think they could have cut out the second escape attempt and tightened up some of their banter scenes. The parts on the bench or them trying to analyze the bad guys behaviors worked best for me, considering they were both profilers I was expecting much more of that.

On the bright side, this time the last couple of years would have been the end of the season but we've got 7 more episodes to look forward too!
                            Yes, I did like the profiling bit too.

Yay! 7 more eps!
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                              Yes, I did like the profiling bit too.

Yay! 7 more eps!

7 more..... Looking forward to next week. Woohooooo

Comment

Do you guys think there is any chance that abby is playing will. Like she is trying to infilitrate the sanctuary or something to that effect?

Comment

Working...
                                X