Pax Romana (311)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

even when i tweaked the sound on my computer (in the speaker enhancements section, i'm using 'equalizer: soft'), i 'still' had probs hearing things ranna said.

it's prob my ears. and mom's. and dad's. forget it.
    Now now, we'll get it fixed. I have a mac with no special audio software here, but I've messed enough with the EQ in iTunes...

If you can get just an EQ panel, take down everything under 100Hz, (you can mess with each gate and see how you feel about the voices being affected) for the girls even everything below 500Hz might be fair game. The background is generally low frequency. If they kept it high too many people would come at them swinging. Law & Order does that a bit when the drama is building and it drives me nuts.
    Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
    Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Am I the only one who thinks Adam isn't really dead?
      No one is ever really dead in sci-fi or fantasy. The writers will always find a way to bring a character back if it suites them.

That being said, who's to say Adam didn't talk John into letting him go again. The blood could have been from Adam's little buddies. It was never tested to be sure who's it was.
      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

Overall, I like Pax Romana in the way I liked Hollow Men, neither wowed me, the plot at times felt a bit by the numbers, but there were enough bits of character moments that still made it enjoyable to watch. The highlights for me was stuff between Helen and Ranna (esp the parts about Kanan and the 'bloody hell' bit), Henry geeking out over the tech, and the return of Gregory. I'm looking forward to see how they'll revisit the city storyline later on.

The stuff that didn't work so well for me was Adam's part of the episode, I guess I wish he wasn't on his own being up to no good for so much of the ep, and the part with Will trying to reason with him was rather weak. We never got a good answer to what he was really up to, and since Druitt appears to have killed him I'm not sure if we ever will. I also wish Helen's cure hadn't been quite so simple, though for society that can regularly bring people back from the dead I suppose radiation poisoning isn't much of challenge.

The preview for the next ep looks like fun, it'll be nice to take a break from the Hollow Earth storyline for a while.
        I with you.

Comment

Was it me, or was this episode a bit anti-climatic? Or maybe that was the point. I was so hyped up to see this after such a long break and was left feeling a bit unsatisfied. That's it? No more?

I agree about moving on to other storylines.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
            I also wish Helen's cure hadn't been quite so simple, though for society that can regularly bring people back from the dead I suppose radiation poisoning isn't much of challenge.
            OMG...so I'm not the only one that feels the same way about this. Phew. I thought it was quite a quick jump from being dead to sitting there very much alive...and how pray tell did they do that??? I guess we may never know. The drink looked like a berry smoothie...yum!! But the radiation treatment...was that permanent or just a fix me upper-er?? Coz when Adam took his dose I got the feeling it was a temp fix...just something to keep him going til the next dose - "it's for my sickness...my other sickness..it's from my good friends from down here....couple of days I'll be as right as rain" - well I could take that to mean it's either a step in the treatment or a completion or one shot does the job...I dunno...maybe I should re watch it but again Helen is saved and on the mend as quick as flick. (pet peeve of mine I guess)

Still I enjoyed watching the show...it was good to see it back. I hope we get to see more of Ranna...I like Polly Walker.
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
              Was it me, or was this episode a bit anti-climatic? Or maybe that was the point. I was so hyped up to see this after such a long break and was left feeling a bit unsatisfied. That's it? No more?
              Yeah, I think I expected a bigger conclusion. Probably wouldn't have felt that way so much without the long break. Then again, I thought the idea that they died (I was hoping it was a fake death. bringing people back from the dead is a recipe for trouble on a show, imho. Once with Will was bad enough) and Magnus's illness would be played up more.

Magnus looked way too healthy for someone with radiation poisoning. Heck, I look worse after a bad night's sleep. (of course I don't have the raw material AT does. Dang, she always looks good. )

I did like the counterpoint with Helen & the head of Hollow Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                Yeah, I think I expected a bigger conclusion. Probably wouldn't have felt that way so much without the long break. Then again, I thought the idea that they died (I was hoping it was a fake death. bringing people back from the dead is a recipe for trouble on a show, imho. Once with Will was bad enough) and Magnus's illness would be played up more.
                Magnus looked way too healthy for someone with radiation poisoning. Heck, I look worse after a bad night's sleep. (of course I don't have the raw material AT does. Dang, she always looks good. )
                Totally agree...it would have been nice to have seen more with the dead team...I know, that came out wrong ...and more on Helen's illness as it was a focal point in several episodes...just to be brushed over is kinda like...where did it go?? Maybe that's what the episode lacked for me...it missed something. John's predicament was kinda thrown to the wayside and everything else just skipped.
                Though I have to admit I did enjoy the father/daughter scenes...I do like Gregory so.
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                  OMG...so I'm not the only one that feels the same way about this. Phew. I thought it was quite a quick jump from being dead to sitting there very much alive...and how pray tell did they do that??? I guess we may never know. The drink looked like a berry smoothie...yum!! But the radiation treatment...was that permanent or just a fix me upper-er?? Coz when Adam took his dose I got the feeling it was a temp fix...just something to keep him going til the next dose - "it's for my sickness...my other sickness..it's from my good friends from down here....couple of days I'll be as right as rain" - well I could take that to mean it's either a step in the treatment or a completion or one shot does the job...I dunno...maybe I should re watch it but again Helen is saved and on the mend as quick as flick. (pet peeve of mine I guess)

Still I enjoyed watching the show...it was good to see it back. I hope we get to see more of Ranna...I like Polly Walker.
                  Maybe the fact that Adam is still using his time-jumpy-thingy means that he'll still get radiation poisoning, whereas Helen will be okay as long as she doesn't jump again?

I enjoyed the episode, although I found it to be lacking something.

The Helen and Ranna interaction was nice, although working out the cure for the abnormal seemed to be too quick.

John was there at the beginning and at the end, but we didn't see him do anything. Kate wasn't needed in this episode, and seemed out of place. Adam works better when we see him talking with other people, being Jekyll and Hyde, rather than just being the evil mad baddie.

Perhaps I was looking for more from this episode after such a long time without any Sanctuary. I look forward to more 'normal' stories, rather than super-beings and super-technology that can do super things such as bring the dead back to life.
                  sigpic

Comment

Totally agree with you. She looked worse in prior episodes so with the progression of time, she *should* have at least looked in the same condition, not better.

Also, and I don't mean to nitpick, but when Helen and Ranna landed on Kanan to help heal him, shouldnt the heat from the lava been intense? They were just feet above it and they didnt even look like they broke a sweat.

Comment

Also, and I don't mean to nitpick, but when Helen and Ranna landed on Kanan to help heal him, shouldnt the heat from the lava been intense? They were just feet above it and they didnt even look like they broke a sweat.
                      Ah yes that must have been one hell of a personal shield that Henry came up with on the spur of the moment eh.

I do not know if it was my anticipation for the return or if they tried to wrap too much up in the one episode but...I also felt the episode was missing something. It was a good episode; but I guess I had higher expectations for it. I look forward to next episode all the same.
                      sigpic

Comment

Weren't they supposed to be in some kind of heat shield or something? That was something that Henry suggested that they'd need, in the size of an Ipod, right? Ranna said they'd easily get a power source to match or something.

I felt quite a letdown to begin with in this episode. They leave us with the cliffhanger that the gang is all dead in some way (ooooh, big high-energy end to the last episode) and then this one starts quietly with John & Adam bantering about? Very underwhelming. It could have at least started with Helen waking on the floor. Very disappointing.

However, I think it was the long wait of the mid-season hiatus between episodes that made it much more disappointing. I guess if you play the two episodes back-to-back, it would just look like them cutting to another scene after all were presumed dead, then coming right back.
                        sigpic

Comment

Maybe one of Helen's powers is fast healing. Not enough to totally cure the radiation sickness in the long run but enough to keep her functioning on adrenaline.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            you want a horrible to understand brit accent..one of the characters on Law and Order UK....he talks to fast and his accent is so thick you have to concentrate....or just catch what you can and ignore the rest
                            Originally posted by majorsal View Post

even when i tweaked the sound on my computer (in the speaker enhancements section, i'm using 'equalizer: soft'), i 'still' had probs hearing things ranna said.

it's prob my ears. and mom's. and dad's. forget it.
                            One word: Subtitles

Comment

I agree. Helen's cure was just 'oh, by the way'.
                              I had the same question about the head. 2000+ degrees and they don't seem to feel it?

and, to me, over all the episode wasn't bad. It was just kinda 'meh'. Everything, almost anyway, wrapped up neatly in 43 minutes, with very little angst or interactions.

anti-climactic is a good word.

it's not bad, just didn't seem to deliver on the buildup.

I too look forward to more regular episodes, 'normal' people and average events.

next week's looks great
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I too look forward to more regular episodes, 'normal' people and average events.
                                "Monster of the week" works well for Sanctuary.

anti-climactic is a good word.
                                Yes it is! I was thrilled to see our heroes in action again, but this episode was missing the meat somehow (or the tempeh, for the veggies among us).
                                Grammar / Spelling / Punctuation Discussion and Appreciation (questions welcome!) | Plot Bunny Adoption
                                Fanfic Helpdesk: Technical and Scientific Help for Writers | Fanfic Pet Peeves | My Fanfiction (Abnormal Newt)

Comment

Working...
                                X