The Five (107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
    I am still curious as to how Tesla was able to activate those lights...

Unless of course the Sanctuary vampires are different than the traditional scifi ones.
    Maybe the pure vampire blood did more than just awaken the latent vampiric genes in Tesla? He seems to have the ability to manipulate electromagnetic energy, activating the lights, generating a magnetic field to kiss Helen and send those cabal guys flying.

Also, the blood seems to have given Druitt his teleporting ability, which isn't a power usually associated with vampires I think.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      magnets, it all comes down to magnets

Unless of course the Sanctuary vampires are different than the traditional scifi ones.
      Weren't you listening to Sky? Magnets!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

Also, the blood seems to have given Druitt his teleporting ability, which isn't a power usually associated with vampires I think.
        'did' helen's blood give druit that ability, or did he already have it, but doing it was causing his rage and brain damage? did helen's blood cure his disabilities?

i love this show!
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
          'did' helen's blood give druit that ability, or did he already have it, but doing it was causing his rage and brain damage? did helen's blood cure his disabilities?
          I was thinking the vampire blood they all injected themselves with gave Druitt his abilities, though his own genes may have influenced the type of 'gift' he got. Maybe using his powers damages his brain in some way, and there's some special property of Helen's blood (perhaps the 'simple and elegant' gift conferred by the vampire blood) that repairs some of that damage.

Though Skydiver and EH-T probably have the right idea, it's all because of magnets! (that scene in Rite of Passage just killed me the first time I saw it )

i love this show!
          Ditto!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            i love this show!
            I'm actually not so sure I do anymore .

I can't decided if I love the show more or Helen more

Comment

Magnetic Field + Conductor + relative motion between the two = electricity.

Comment

Originally Posted by Celandine

My thoughts exactly, but did they have the technology back in the 1880's to freeze an embryo? And heck, even before this, did they have the technology to even extract an egg and do the fertilization?
                No they didnt have the technology back then but i'm guessing the Sanctuary was far ahead of it's time and even outside the Sanctuary for Helen to freeze the embryo at that in the 1880's onwards i'm guessing she could have gone to one of THE FIVE perhaps have Tesla make the device in which to keep the embryo and have Watson help her remove it and then when the time is right place it back inside her without Druitt noticing .

Originally Posted by majorsal
                i love this show!
                Originally posted by Rocky89
                I'm actually not so sure I do anymore .

I can't decided if I love the show more or Helen more
                It keep's getting better and better i cant wait to see more Sanctuary and Amanda
                sigpic
                (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

Originally posted by helenmagnus23 View Post
                  No they didnt have the technology back then but i'm guessing the Sanctuary was far ahead of it's time and even outside the Sanctuary for Helen to freeze the embryo at that in the 1880's onwards i'm guessing she could have gone to one of THE FIVE perhaps have Tesla make the device in which to keep the embryo and have Watson help her remove it and then when the time is right place it back inside her without Druitt noticing .
                  If that's the case then I think that's a bit scary. To trust someone with a life that you treasure when you don't even like the person isnt very wise. Didn't Helen say nobody of the Five even liked Tesla?

I seriously doubt he had any part in Helen's actions and this is probably the best thing as I also could see Tesla using this knowledge against Helen as her Achilles heel so to speak. Helen would give anything for the safety of Ashley I believe.

Also, I read an article the other day where Amanda states that Helen's only gift, the 'simple but elegant' one, was longevity. In the article, she brought up a rather interesting point that I never even thought of though which is rather interesting.

With Helen being able to live a long life, her decision to bring Ashley into this world was both a happy one as well as a sad one as she didnt know if she would actually see Ashley grow up, mature and die while she herself still lived or if something of the effects she is experiencing would be passed down into Ashley.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                    <snip>
                    With Helen being able to live a long life, her decision to bring Ashley into this world was both a happy one as well as a sad one as she didnt know if she would actually see Ashley grow up, mature and die while she herself still lived or if something of the effects she is experiencing would be passed down into Ashley.
                    The scene at the end made me wonder if some of Ashely's anger wasn't because she finds out she may not be as human as she thought she was. Ashley seems to have had a superior attitude, mentioned by Druitt, to the abnormals.

This brought me to the question.......is Ashely human or abnormal?

Does either Ashley or Helen know exactly what Ashely is?

Any ideas?

Great show by the way. I loved Tesla and the actor who played him. This show is pretty darn good. I love the history and science added, just like SG1 used to have.

Comment

i have a funny feeling that helen ran a blood test or two on infant ashley. she'd have to know
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

My money is on Ashley being an abnormal in some way.

She still needs to trim that awful fringe though...

Comment

I think as well that Ashley is an abnormal...but I also have a feeling that perhaps Helen took away her power/abnormality or atleast disabled it, if it was dangerous. Helen experienced herself how bad it can be to have an power/abnormality( think of the first episode, that she brought the fetus to full term because she couldn't stand the loneliness anymore)

I am curious if she has it if it's dormant(sp?) or not...and how Ashley reacts on it...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                            I think as well that Ashley is an abnormal...but I also have a feeling that perhaps Helen took away her power/abnormality or atleast disabled it, if it was dangerous. Helen experienced herself how bad it can be to have an power/abnormality( think of the first episode, that she brought the fetus to full term because she couldn't stand the loneliness anymore)

I am curious if she has it if it's dormant(sp?) or not...and how Ashley reacts on it...
                            I have my bets on Ashley being abnormal too based solely on what Druitt told her.

How could Helen disable an abnormality though? Perhaps the first tendrils of the gift are there already but with Ashley's skill as a fighter, she doesnt even notice it herself yet. I believe later on the gift will become more apparent. Perhaps because Ashley focuses more on it now that she knows a bit of her past or maybe as she gets older the gift increases all on its own.

Can't wait to find out!

Comment

it can go back to the nature vs nurture thing

using dexter as an example. Harry, his adoptive dad, saw the sociopathic tendancies in him. and he knew that he couldn't make dexter NOT be who and what he was...so he taught him a code. 'you can only kill those that have killed others' and then he taught him how to kill in a way so as not to get caught.

harry couldn't control dexter and couldn't make him stop being who he was...but he could steer that potential to the least harmful path possible.

it's possible that helen did the same with ashley.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i rewatched 'the five' last night. wednesday night is the perfect night for me to watch the show, because tv is abysmal that night!

this episode is my fave, and 'kush' comes next!

i definitely like the difference in how ashley found out about who her real dad was here. and i really like ashley in the tv version of this show. she's softer and more relatable.

but back to the scene... i think what i appreciated the most, was that ashley wasn't 'just' some snarky back-talking tough chic, but a more real woman, even though they let her make some witty quips. but the quips were more *real*, if that makes sense.

i LOVE the scene at the very end, where helen is basically begging ashley to forgive her. ash had to take in a LOT, but she couldn't cut out her mother (and not just for her mistakes). ashley really does have a lot to be angry about... i'm so glad she let it go enough to hold onto her mom.

the look on helen's face in that scene... such subtle and beautiful work. ~fangirl moment~

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X