No announcement yet.

Kush (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved the ep. I love a mystery and this one had just enough twists for me to keep second guessing myself.

Quick question though. Why did "Radek's" slit wrist wound appear different to Helen and Will? What was the purpose? A slit wrist could kill you no matter what direction if you lose enough blood. Why the need for people to see it differently? Hubby thought it might be to hide a stab wound, like Sylvio's, and make it look like suicide. But again, why look different to different people.

Do you think I repeated myself enough? Sheesh!
    sigpic

Comment

i THINK the theory was, the stereotypical way to slit your wrists is horizontal, but the real way to do it is vertical. do it horizontal and - theoretically - it won't bleed fast enough, do it vertically and slice the arteries open instead of cutting them, makes it almost impossible to fix

taht's something that a medical doctor would know and not something that your average person would know. will, as a 'civilian' sees things as the stereotype, helen, as a doctor, sees it as the most effective way

and we don't know which of them might be right.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
        Loved the ep. I love a mystery and this one had just enough twists for me to keep second guessing myself.

Quick question though. Why did "Radek's" slit wrist wound appear different to Helen and Will? What was the purpose? A slit wrist could kill you no matter what direction if you lose enough blood. Why the need for people to see it differently? Hubby thought it might be to hide a stab wound, like Sylvio's, and make it look like suicide. But again, why look different to different people.
        I think Will and Helen seeing the wound differently was meant to show that the creature could alter their perceptions, like the later scene where Will sees a lock on the cage while Helen does not. Perhaps because Will thought one of the other passengers had killed the co-pilot he saw a smaller wound, while Helen who suspected the creature saw a bigger one.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          i THINK the theory was, the stereotypical way to slit your wrists is horizontal, but the real way to do it is vertical. do it horizontal and - theoretically - it won't bleed fast enough, do it vertically and slice the arteries open instead of cutting them, makes it almost impossible to fix

taht's something that a medical doctor would know and not something that your average person would know. will, as a 'civilian' sees things as the stereotype, helen, as a doctor, sees it as the most effective way

but was the wound real? So shouldn't they have just seen the real damage?

I was also thinking that the workings of the mind might have played a part in their visual perception, but I keep heading back to ... it should have been a real wound.

Oh well. I guess it is just something I will puzzle over and it might be nothing more than a plot device to let us glimpse how the creature was doing things, playing mind games.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
            The hallucinations were personalized, so maybe in that case the way it worked was that each person saw what they personally would expect to see with a slit wrist. That's my theory anyway. (Edit: of course, as I was typing this, three other people answered with basically the same thing. Hee!)

One other thing: When Braun (I think it was) said the storm could last for weeks before they could be rescued, did anyone else think of the movie "Alive"?

Comment

the thought crossed my mind
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Best episode yet, IMO. It kept me wondering what was going on for quite awhile. The scene with Will outside the plane trying to get Helen's attention was really good. And all the scenes with Helen and John were really good. Will and Helen also work well together -- the chemistry is there.

I think this episode for me represents that the show is starting to find it's own distinctive pace and rhythm. It will probably take a few more episodes, but I think it is starting to come into its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Actually mid-wrist there are only tendons and some veins, the arteries (radial and ulnar) are locate on either sides of the wrist

Comment

The best episode yet. Nice mystery there. Love stories with some twist. Sanctuary is fun to watch.
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I agree it being the best ep so far. Very good and scary storyline.
                      sigpic

Comment

Apart from the Helen and John flashbacks, I did not like it at all .

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                          Very insightful. The real versus fantasy druitt ideas.

The reason I couldn't understand what Druitt was doing, was because he helped her, which I didn't think the monster manipulation/hallucination would do. Maybe it was because Helen was beginning to control the monster's effect on her?
                          Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

I don't think it was the real John, since I thought he can only jump through time and not into people's thoughts. I'm inclined to this it was a sorta monster-induced hallucination, but because Helen is aware of the monster's influence at this point, she is perhaps more in control of the hallucination? Such as Druitt wearing his modern clothes instead of the Victorian ones, and this time Helen spoke to him, which I don't think she did before.
                          My take on the two different Druitts build on the above. I think that by the time the modern day Druitt appeared, the monster knew that Helen had figured out that the visions were being caused by the monster. She would have questioned the past version at that point, but by making him appear different and having him tell her to wake up, then when she did and saw 'fake Will" she would be less likely to question him as "fake". So I think that modern day Druitt was a ploy of the monster, a "fake out" of a fake so to speak.

And btw this episode was the best one yet imo. Up until now, I've enjoyed it, but haven't been completely "wowed" by it, but this one definitely grabbed me.
                          sigpic

Comment

We've been discussing the Helen/Druitt scenes in the Helen/Druitt thread.

Some things we've noticed...

In there last scene together, Druitt's hand doesn't cast a shadow on her cheek (though after he's gone her coat or hair casts a shadow on her cheek). This suggests that he is just her imagination, and didn't jump into her reality.

However, there is also a flash of light when he tells her to wake up. I wonder if, in that one instant, the real Druitt - or at the very least, his consciousness - did reach out to her. Perhaps not, but it would be a nice thought to consider.

Something else about that scene, however - really, all of their scenes together. This was Helen's mind, Helen remembering their times together, Helen questioning herself if she ever really loved him, and admitting - beyond a shadow of a doubt - that she did. If that's the case, then - at that moment when Druitt told her to wake up - then it was her remembering that he was, at one time - good.

Now - was it the creature telling her to wake up? No - I don't think so. I think that was really either Helen's good memories of John trying to save her, or the real John's consciousness reaching through time and space to help her.

From the little I know of John, and his relationship with Helen, I suspect it's a very intense love-hate thing between them. Even though John's a monster now, there is still part of him that clings to his old humanity, part of him that isn't pure evil. It could have been this part of him - either figuratively or literally - reaching out to help Helen in her time of need.

It was, I feel, the best moment of the episode - very intense, and very thought-provoking.

das
                            sigpic

Comment

This ep was so so for me I did like the Helen parts but ep story itself was just ok
                              sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                                We've been discussing the Helen/Druitt scenes in the Helen/Druitt thread.

Some things we've noticed...

In there last scene together, Druitt's hand doesn't cast a shadow on her cheek (though after he's gone her coat or hair casts a shadow on her cheek). This suggests that he is just her imagination, and didn't jump into her reality.
                                Wow, nice catch. Now I want to watch the episode again just to see that part. Oh the hardship...

Now - was it the creature telling her to wake up? No - I don't think so. I think that was really either Helen's good memories of John trying to save her, or the real John's consciousness reaching through time and space to help her.

From the little I know of John, and his relationship with Helen, I suspect it's a very intense love-hate thing between them. Even though John's a monster now, there is still part of him that clings to his old humanity, part of him that isn't pure evil. It could have been this part of him - either figuratively or literally - reaching out to help Helen in her time of need.
                                From what we've been shown or told of Druitt's powers so far, it seems to be confined to jumping through time and space, and to me jumping into a person's subconsciousness seems to be a stretch from that. It would make him perhaps too powerful, for if he can reach Helen in the middle of the Himalayas, what's stopping him from getting into Ashley's subconscious and telling her the truth?

I'm inclined to think that it was Helen who woke herself up, using the hallucinated John as the catalyst, and sort of overcoming the monster's control on the hallucination. The monster seemed to then regroup and tried to trick her with the Will hallucination, but Helen seemed suspicious of him from the start, which led to the trick coffee question and Helen blowing the monster away.

I do agree that all of Helen's hallucinations centered around her questioning her feelings towards John, and I think you've defined their relationship perfectly as love-hate. I think that's what makes her so afraid of him, because it would probably be so easy for her to fall for him again, despite everything he's done.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X