No announcement yet.

Sanctuary For All (101-102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never seen the web series, but I like the TV series so far. The only downside is that it always takes place at night. I can't wait to see the story unravel.
    sigpic

Comment

I absolutely loved it. I like how the backstories were expanded and the part about Helen's blood. That makes me wonder...
      Loved it!!

Comment

my theory about 'the others' is this

in the webbies helen once mentions to ashley 'there are rules.....' thus suggesting that some governing body MAKES the rules on how to deal with the various abnormals. I think 'the others' or 'the five' are this or in league with this governing body. there have to be rules else, well the whole world would know that all these monsters are real. And i think the goal of the various sanctuaries is to protect the abnormals by keeping their existence something that is easy to deny.
        in other words, they 'make the problem go away', and as long as any 'normal' governing body doesn't have to KNOW that werewolves, etc, exist, they're happy to just turn a blind eye.

i think helen and ashley and their employees work under the auspices of someone else.

my bet about druitt and helen's blood

Spoiler:
        whatever happened to give her longevity, she came up with the idea to use it to help him. so she'd give him regular injections of her blood to 'fix' the damage caused by him jumping.

I think it was explained, every time he jumped, little parts of himself were left behind, or it poked holes in his brain or something, thus the more he jumped, the more unstable he got. he COULD cure himself by simply not using his power. but he can't. He's addicted to using his power, he can't live as a 'normal', he has to live jumping, so he self-destructs.

and helen helped him, then, i'm guessing, realized that he was probably just using her. likely so that he could jump into the past, kill women, jump back, and have the best of both worlds.

so she ran from him/kicked him out. likely to protect herself and ashley. or likely changed her mind when she got preggers.

john has been looking for her for years.

her past and her choices are coming back to haunt her.

I think helen is going to be far from a 'lily white pure and always right heroine', i think she's going to be very flawed. i think she's been doing what she thinks and feels is 'right' and doesn't quite care if it's really the best choice overall.

I think, more than once, she's going to have to face the fallout from her decisions. and pay the price for her beliefs. like is it fair to keep sentient creatures locked up? especially when all they want to do is kill? or who determines that someone is 'too dangerous' to be out? what if she chooses wrongly? what if she falsely imprisons someone? did some of her patients really come of their own free will? how does she help them? is she helping to try and let themfit in or just to make her corner of the world safe knowing that they'll live and die within her walls?

the questions and the not black and white/right and wrong is what makes it so interesting.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

this is to talk about the show, keep your personal issues to yourself please

sigpic

Comment

I only saw the first Hour of the episode, i fell asleep around 10 becuase i was sooo tired, but from the first hour, it was FANTASTIC! this will become my new fave seires i will watch, collect on dvd. Having not seen any of the webisodes, i was very happy with all the effects from this show,. It shows that a series can do a virutal set and still make the show very realistic! all my praises to AT, RD, CH, EU, and the MANY cast crossovers i saw. I was freaking out every time i saw a character from stargate and bsg! Novak, siler, lorne, Duwalla (sp) and of course halling/todd.- i did not see the last hour so dunno if there were any more!
            sigpic
            Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

it was good..... i like the butler
              ...and christopher heyderahl(?) is an awesome actor, i hope we see more of him. u have to check out some youtube video of him h.p.lovecraft out of mind or smth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2xpFj1CH3k

...the main actor reminds me of daniel jackson somehow, sad that he could not play in sanctuary, well that would have been awesome... but anyway...good start for a show, i like the daughter of tapping
              sigpic

Comment

It was a bit too slow paced in the beginning, but overall I like it. Something really stuck out to me though: the scene where zimmerman is talking with the "tentacle kid" (alexi?) seemed to drag on forever.

Comment

As a re-work of the webisodes, I enjoyed this, but I'm ready for new stories in this 'verse.
                  Minor peeve: Enough with the mood lighting ~ I'd actually like to see the scene. True, this hotel's TV's are archaic, so maybe it'll be better when I'm home ~ I suppose I should be happy they get skiffy here...

Anyway, like some others have said, I like that they're "fleshing out" some of the story with Will & have him coming from a police/FBI background instead of hospital work - it actually makes more sense, IMO.

Sad that we missed David Hewlett, but plenty of other familiar faces (including some new ones... OMG Dee!) I hope we see more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by DaxFlowLyfe View Post
                    The next episode is episode 3
                    And its about finding the Morrigan

The webisodes ended on a cliffhanger after they found the Morrigan.
                    Spoiler:
                    They find the Morrigan, they remember who they are, then Cryptkeepers assault the Sanctuary and everyone is taken out with the Morrigan free, thats how it ended. Cliffhanger
                    Reading back over my post I don't think I explained myself well. My point was that since Folding Man (104) is the episode following Fata Morgana (103), I think it's unlikely that the Morrigan storyline will end in a cliffhanger like it did in the webisodes.

If Fata Morgana did end in a cliffhanger, then part of the next episode will be taken up resolving that storyline, which would then interfere with the storyline line in Folding Man, which from the synopsis I read doesn't seem to involve the Morrigan at all.

But who knows, we'll all find out next week what ends up happening.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    my theory about 'the others' is this

in the webbies helen once mentions to ashley 'there are rules.....' thus suggesting that some governing body MAKES the rules on how to deal with the various abnormals. I think 'the others' or 'the five' are this or in league with this governing body. there have to be rules else, well the whole world would know that all these monsters are real. And i think the goal of the various sanctuaries is to protect the abnormals by keeping their existence something that is easy to deny.

i think helen and ashley and their employees work under the auspices of someone else.
                    I'm leaning more toward The Five being the governing body that sets the rules, especially with Ashley's line of "If you want to work with us you have to play by our rules."

I don't really see Magnus as someone who'd let other people tell her what she can or can't do, I think she sets those rules for herself.

my bet about druitt and helen's blood

Spoiler:
                    whatever happened to give her longevity, she came up with the idea to use it to help him. so she'd give him regular injections of her blood to 'fix' the damage caused by him jumping.

I think it was explained, every time he jumped, little parts of himself were left behind, or it poked holes in his brain or something, thus the more he jumped, the more unstable he got. he COULD cure himself by simply not using his power. but he can't. He's addicted to using his power, he can't live as a 'normal', he has to live jumping, so he self-destructs.

and helen helped him, then, i'm guessing, realized that he was probably just using her. likely so that he could jump into the past, kill women, jump back, and have the best of both worlds.

so she ran from him/kicked him out. likely to protect herself and ashley. or likely changed her mind when she got preggers.

john has been looking for her for years.

her past and her choices are coming back to haunt her.

I think helen is going to be far from a 'lily white pure and always right heroine', i think she's going to be very flawed. i think she's been doing what she thinks and feels is 'right' and doesn't quite care if it's really the best choice overall.

I think, more than once, she's going to have to face the fallout from her decisions. and pay the price for her beliefs. like is it fair to keep sentient creatures locked up? especially when all they want to do is kill? or who determines that someone is 'too dangerous' to be out? what if she chooses wrongly? what if she falsely imprisons someone? did some of her patients really come of their own free will? how does she help them? is she helping to try and let themfit in or just to make her corner of the world safe knowing that they'll live and die within her walls?

the questions and the not black and white/right and wrong is what makes it so interesting.
                    I like your ideas about Helen's blood and Druitt's condition.
                    Spoiler:
                    It makes me wonder if Helen's blood is what has given all of The Five their longevity. I think the line Druitt sang was something like "...immortal all the holy Five." And Helen seemed to have a lot of her purified blood on hand, as if it's something she's relatively used to doing.

I also agree with Helen being a very flawed heroine. With her long history of working so independently with most likely very few people challenging her authority, she probably needs an outside perspective like Will to make her sometimes question the 'rightness' of her decisions. I really enjoyed the tension in the final scene between Will and Helen about her not keeping things from him if he's going to work for her. After so many years Helen is probably so used to guarding her many secrets that it must be difficult for her to be completely honest and open with anyone.

I'd like to see Will confront Helen at some point about keeping the extremely dangerous creatures, like the one that apparently killed his mother. "Sanctuary for all" may not be an empty motto, but you have to wonder if she hasn't taken the idea too far in some cases.

sigpic

Comment

i agree. and maybe helen is one of the five and is one that sets the rules

but i also have to wonder if - as she sets them - if she finds them inconvenient, she passes them on and does what she feels needs to be done. and if no one ever finds out....eh, no harm, no foul

i'm not saying that she's bad or evil, just that she bends them as she needs and doesn't let something like 'it's against the rules' totally get in her way

and i agree about will as well. helen is used to being surrounded with biggy, ashley, henry....people that follow her orders. maybe what she needs is someone to challenge her and make her think. to keep her 'in line' by not always doing what she says.

sigpic

Comment

I just rewatched it and gotta say it was ok, definitely much better than the webisodes. Will reminded me of Mulder, the way he examined the room and explained his findings. it was great to see Kavan Smith reprise his role as the detective, where were David Hewlett and Peter DeLuise? also I was surprised to see Dan Shea as one of the cops/maintenance workers. anyway this was a solid season premiere and I'm looking forward to the next ep!

EDIT: forgot to mention the creature that attacked Ashley reminded me of a Gorn
                        Last edited by Jumper_One; 04 October 2008, 11:38 AM.
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I was really impressed by the premiere episode and thought they worked out alot of the things that didn't work in the webisodes.

Amanda looked awesome with her natural hair instead of a wig and I noticed that she toned down the accent so it really worked for me.

The CGI I had my doubts about, but honestly there were times when I couldn't even tell it was CGI, beautifully done!

I'm really happy with this series, can't wait for more!

Comment

review time now!

i'm going to start with the cons.

*there were 'moments' where i could see the special effects, like funny blurring on someone's face or background image. but this was minor and few.

*i thought the actress that played the up-to-date prostitute killed by john wasn't very good. in fact, oy! i was going to say some of the prob was the dialog, but no, it was her. sorry actress.

*in the scene where the gang rescued ashley from the monster thinger; i didn't care for the look of it. the monster itself looked weird or fake, but i felt the actors were really trying to work around not really seeing what they were supposed to be seeing.

*the scene where ash and helen are in her office and john suddenly pops up. it's when he grabs ash and is facing helen, i felt the editing was off or something. suddenly helen looked upset, and it needed more getting there, you know? so i felt it was the editing.

*it needed more helen.

okay, now the pros.

everything else!

*ashley was more likeable. and toned down.

*i enjoyed seeing will's back story fleshed out more. it was almost too much it some ways, but it was still good to see it, and it made more sense for why he'd want to join this group and leave his other life behind.

*i loved the changes to john's story. chris is a very good actor and is going to make this character even more enthralling.

*i liked henry's convos with helen. while she's very prim and proper, he's totally in the now and it was fun to see helen having to deal with that.

*did i mention i'm glad they toned ashley down?

*i liked the helen-will scene where they're on the sanctuary roof. the effects were great, but the soul of the moment is what i loved. you felt more of helen's melancholy.

*the last scene with helen and will was very nice too. i liked the feel of it.

my number one fave thing, though, was helen. okay, that's easy to figure out, since amanda's my fave actress.

i liked the new concept of helen's blood being important. but i wonder *why* her blood is important...

and just what did she do to john? and when he started crumbling(?) before disappearing, what exactly did he say to helen?

the helen-john storyline is my fave part of this series so far. not only is john her weakness, but just the idea of him being jack the ripper is *very* interesting to me. amanda and chris work very well off one another. i can't say i ship then together, but i find the concept of them totally great.

i think the premier was very good, but i can't say great. maybe trimming some of will's intro stuff would have made it better for me.

but, i think most show premiers are like this, finding their feet and groove. i expect the next ep to be even smoother.

i'm going to watch this ep again tonight, but this time with my sidekick mom. i know i'm going to enjoy it even more!!

ROCK ON SANCTUARY!!

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              i like it being fleshed out, will has a good back story, ties with the sanctuary going back 30 years.
                              oh, i forgot to mention that in my review. i loved that helen helped will as a child! it gave them a deeper connection. (might have been interesting if helen had adopted will then)

i like how kavan's role was expanded,
                              i didn't really love that part too much. i don't know the actor enough to really enjoy his scenes just because it's him. but that part of the ep is what i thought should have been trimmed.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                                The fact that the Helen's blood ties into John is a cool twist! So does her blood allow him to travel through time (which would mean that she was immortal before when they were engaged) OR did her blood make him crazy... Or something else entirely? I really like that aspect and the many possibilities.
                                the whole blood thinger has really got me excited! like you said, is her blood helping her hurting him? john seemed to think it was going to help him.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X