Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Opinion/Feeling on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heard about AT's new movie deal which starts filming shortly supposedly. Hope this isnt a hint about Sanctuary's future.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
      Heard about AT's new movie deal which starts filming shortly supposedly. Hope this isnt a hint about Sanctuary's future.
      What a movie? That really worries me, how shall she be able to work on the new Sanctuary season if she´s busy with another project?

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
        What a movie? That really worries me, how shall she be able to work on the new Sanctuary season if she´s busy with another project?
        It's a 3 week shooting schedule, 30 Jan - 21 Feb 21.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          It's a 3 week shooting schedule, 30 Jan - 21 Feb 21.

Yes, not long enough to interfere with the start of season 5. Here is my opinion (and it is based on nothing more than my own speculation), Syfy has had the numbers for Sanctuary for some time now. If they had no plans to renew their agreement, I think they would have announced it by now. So my view is that they are interested in renewing and are in negotiations with TPTB. It, of course, all comes down to the money and if Syfy and TPTB can come up with a number they can both live with, we will have a season 5. That is my glass-half-full point of view.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Every season costs more then the one before, most likely they are working out the costs to see if it is worth doing.

I do wonder how much of the show AT owns. If it is a decent amount I can see her trying to keep it going (maybe even with a smaller salary) to be able to get enough episodes to cash in on syndication. If she sold to much of it to get it made each year maybe another project would be better for her.

Comment

Would Space ever have the funds available to pick up Sanctuary if perchance it was cancelled?

Comment

Would Space ever have the funds available to pick up Sanctuary if perchance it was cancelled?
                I really doubt that, I don't have numbers, but just know that Space is not a large market station in Canada.
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  I really doubt that, I don't have numbers, but just know that Space is not a large market station in Canada.
                  How does it work with shows like Lost Girl and Merlin that are made in Canada and the UK and air their first and then bought by Syfy later?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samcartersg1 View Post
                    How does it work with shows like Lost Girl and Merlin that are made in Canada and the UK and air their first and then bought by Syfy later?
                    First, you have to consider that the population of Canada is 1/10 that of the US. In addition to being a much smaller TV market overall, Space is not a mainstream network but a cable station much like Syfy. While Space is the main producer of some shows (eg Todd and the Book of Pure Evil) those shows would not have anywhere near the budget of Sanctuary. So very unlikely Space would have the money to fill the gap.

Also, while Sanctuary is shown in something like 180 countries the US is by far the biggest market and, logically, provides the most money to the show (through Syfy). I doubt very much that the combined sales around the world could come up with enough money to make up for the loss of Syfy. Keep in mind that in the UK, for example, Sanctuary is shown on some rinky dink TV station at bizzare hours so I doubt they get much money from the UK rights.

Comment

Portions of the Tudors was done in canada as far as I know...even the brits take advantage of cheaper places to tape.

I think it's all a matter of who pays for it and if the 'price' of that payment is whichever country gets it first.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

One thing to consider... SciFi, Syfy, whatever it's called, ran SG-1 for five years (Seasons 6-10), Atlantis for five years, and Sanctuary for four years. It's possible that the network may be negotiating a final season with the producers. If that is the case, it would explain why we're waiting so long for any news.

Comment

Well it means that the shows were initially made for a Canadian and British audience first and foremost. International sales are just a boon. It's not different then US shows made for US sales are sold to the US first then later to international audiences.

Sanctuary had it (and I assume they still do) that they need revenue from multiple licensing sales in order to keep the show on the air, not just Skiffy (even though they may pay the lions share), because unlike a number of shows they don't have a studio to float them so they need the money upfront. If this is the case, there is nothing to say that additional negotiations with other networks in and out of US wont save the show if Skiffy doesn't renew.

Considering the above, it's also possible that the lag in renewal could be from Sactuary's side as they are trying to secure their funds to film season 5. At this point we don't know, but if Skiffy doesn't renew it doesn't necessarily mean that the show is done for.
                          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            One thing to consider... SciFi, Syfy, whatever it's called, ran SG-1 for five years (Seasons 6-10), Atlantis for five years, and Sanctuary for four years. It's possible that the network may be negotiating a final season with the producers. If that is the case, it would explain why we're waiting so long for any news.
                            SGU ran for 2 seasons, Caprica for one, so you can't infer that Sanctuary will get a fifth season

Comment

I know in the past we have said Space just doesn't have the funds. BUT it is now owned by Bell Media. Bell rolled out a lot of HD channels last year and finally gave us Space in HD. Sanctuary was put on re runs on the A channel which is now CTV2. Sanctuary is also now re running 5 (or is it 4?) nights a week on Space. What I am hoping is that Sanctuary is doing well in re runs on the Bell Media channels. What I am hoping is that if SyFy doesn't want to give money to Sanctuary that maybe Bell Media can put more money into it.

Well that's my fantasy for now.

Edited to add. Canada's The Listener (though I know it must be cheaper since the lead just hears what people say so not much in special effects) for the first season was getting money from one of the tv stations in the USA plus other places. CTV (now owned by Bell Media) had wanted to air it in normal tv season. The USA channel (can't remember which one) wanted to air it in the summer so CTV held off and also aired it for the summer. The Listener didn't do well in the USA but very well in Canada. It went away for a YEAR and somehow made it's way back. A few cast changes, it aired on CTV last winter/spring, did well and got renewed for a 3 season, though not sure if that was done under Bell Media or not. (and they picked up Rainbow who played Ford in SGA! big bonus there!)

So hey, miracles do happen!
                              Last edited by Angela V; 25 January 2012, 06:15 PM.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                                I know in the past we have said Space just doesn't have the funds. BUT it is now owned by Bell Media. Bell rolled out a lot of HD channels last year and finally gave us Space in HD. Sanctuary was put on re runs on the A channel which is now CTV2. Sanctuary is also now re running 5 (or is it 4?) nights a week on Space. What I am hoping is that Sanctuary is doing well in re runs on the Bell Media channels. What I am hoping is that if SyFy doesn't want to give money to Sanctuary that maybe Bell Media can put more money into it.

Well that's my fantasy for now.

Edited to add. Canada's The Listener (though I know it must be cheaper since the lead just hears what people say so not much in special effects) for the first season was getting money from one of the tv stations in the USA plus other places. CTV (now owned by Bell Media) had wanted to air it in normal tv season. The USA channel (can't remember which one) wanted to air it in the summer so CTV held off and also aired it for the summer. The Listener didn't do well in the USA but very well in Canada. It went away for a YEAR and somehow made it's way back. A few cast changes, it aired on CTV last winter/spring, did well and got renewed for a 3 season, though not sure if that was done under Bell Media or not. (and they picked up Rainbow who played Ford in SGA! big bonus there!)

So hey, miracles do happen!
                                You are right but the difference is that The Listener was on CTV (for those outside of Canada, it is one of the main networks like NBC or CBS) not Space which is a cable channel and is available to a much smaller audience. Also, Sanctuary is stereotyped as a "genre show" whereas The Listener was a more main stream cop show type. However, maybe if shows like Grimm or Once Upon a Time do well on main networks then maybe Bell would try it on the CTV network. I doubt it though because it is not a new show and it would be odd airing a show on the main network starting in season 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X