Sanctuary Season 4 Ratings Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steff View Post
    "My opinion is that the ratings are lower (compared to the first two seasons) almost only because the show progressively abandoned standalone episodes." Abnormal

Oh, oh... I haven't thought of that. You are so right. I wonder if this will also affect syndication of the series. Law and Order type shows are great as reruns because they are all stand-alone. But if we look back at some of season 3 filler stand-alone episodes some where quite disappointing. Not unlike their new trend of the boring B-story they throw in each episode. If they could find the right balance of "strong" stand-alone and limited arc episodes I think they could grow a new audience for the ratings they need for renewal. But can they do it with the CGI limitations and inconsistent writing?
    Yep, I think stand-alone episodes were much better written in seasons 1 and 2. Most of those of season 3 were so boring that I didn't watch them entirely... This I think was due (if I remember correctly) to Syfy's late decision to add 9 episodes to season 3. I'm convinced season 3 would have looked excellent with only 13 episodes.

I agree that it will get more and more complicated to have all the characters present + interesting stories + consistent writing + good special effects with all those taxes and limitations... But then I guess the real question is (at least when I read your post this is what I wonder): would you rather have a good SERIES finale at the end of season 4 so that the show stops losing its quality (if you consider it's losing it) or a season 5 with the risk of seeing the quality of the show lowering? I'd like to know what you think about that
    Last edited by Abnormal; 05 November 2011, 01:02 PM. Reason: tired tired tired... bed bed bed....
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abnormal View Post
      Yep, I think stand-alone episodes were much better written in seasons 1 and 2. Most of those of season 3 were so boring that I didn't watch them entirely... This I think was due (if I remember correctly) to Syfy's late decision to add 9 episodes to season 3. I'm convinced season 3 would have looked excellent with only 13 episodes.

I agree that it will get more and more complicated to have all the characters present + interesting stories + consistent writing + good special effects with all those taxes and limitations... But then I guess the real question is (at least when I read your post this is what I wonder): would we rather have a good finale for season 4 so that the show stops losing its quality (if one considers it's losing it) or a season 5 with a very poor quality? I'd like to know what you think about that
      I bet you can guess my answer as I bet I can guess yours after reading the question...... I would love to have Season 4 go out with a bang. No cliff-hanger. I think the cliff-hanger, thanks alot JR, ending used in so many recent shows is getting to be a bad idea since the seasons are so short. It was fine to wait out the summer for the plot resolution season premiere. But after a 6, 9, or 13 episode season I seem to forget what had happened at the end and often finding I don't care.

Also having to build little bits into the years story to climax at the end seems to add all those boring b story bits that have started to FF through. Ratings for the big arc shows do seem to diminish after 3 years. I am disappointed that Sanctuary has taken this direction and we are now seeing the rating decline that goes with a soap-opera night drama.

Comment

I bet you can guess my answer as I bet I can guess yours after reading the question......
        I changed the phrasing of the question rapidly but you were too fast!
        sigpic

Comment

Oh and as for me... I can't even answer my own question... Of course I don't want the show to lose quality but... I don't want to lose Amanda, the team and the atmosphere of the show either...
          sigpic

Comment

They have lost a big chunk of money from the discontinuation of Tax breaks. They have been trying to lower the rising cost by having fewer regular cast. Most of the cast is on guest appearance status now. Also they have switched form more computer generated abnormals to Human looking abnormals. Freaky contacts are a lot cheaper then green screening a monster. The one example of a short-cut with CGI that disappointed me the most was the little dots that represented the masses of abnormals coming up from hollow earth. The question that I ask, Do these cost reductions lower the quality of the show? And will this result in lower ratings?
            No because quality is a subjective matter. What is quality to one person is garbage to another.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              No because quality is a subjective matter. What is quality to one person is garbage to another.
              You are Exactly right..

Comment

Steff ==> 1.0 / 0.3%
                Siles ==> 1.5 / 0.5%
                Abnormal ==> 1.450.000 / 0.4%
                majorsal ==> 1.37 / 0.5
                sally

sigpic

Comment

is that good? i wish i understood what the various numbers mean.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                    is that good? i wish i understood what the various numbers mean.
                    Which numbers?
                    Last edited by Abnormal; 06 November 2011, 10:35 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-more/109832/

OMG

1.258 Mil Demo: 0.4

Holy crap

Syfy's Sanctuary was up 100% with adults 18-49 to a 0.6 rating.
                      Which is right? 0.4 or 0.6?
                      Last edited by Altariel; 07 November 2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
                        No baseball excuse for this week. You can't isolate some of your key demographic and not take a hit. Television is a Business.

Comment

No baseball excuse for this week. You can't isolate some of your key demographic and not take a hit. Television is a Business.
                          "Syfy's Sanctuary was up 100% with adults 18-49 to a 0.6 rating."

Um... that part and the table don't match.

Comment

But maybe the 0.6 is the mistake and 0.4 is right. Of course I wish it is 0.6. At least it is not 0.3 and under 1 mil viewers. If it goes under 1 mil, then I will be seriously worried.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                              "Syfy's Sanctuary was up 100% with adults 18-49 to a 0.6 rating."

Um... that part and the table don't match.

The 0.6 is an error. It is 0.4
                              Last week being the lowest friday ever. This week is about tied for 3rd lowest Friday Rating ever for Sanctuary.

Comment

It´s really only 0.4

Comment

Working...
                                X