No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Season 4 Ratings Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever did or did not happen on the facebook or syfy page is not on topic here. We've already said that and it does not need to be repeated. You got issues with them, take it up with them. This forum is not going to be put in the middle of whatever might have happened.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steff
      I do have my PhD in Business Statistics. hehe.... I do knows my maths.... and how different sources of data can be compared.
      Sorry not under this circumstance - trying to use unquantifiable data will get you a fail in any stats class and that is precisely what you are trying to do.

However seeing as you say you have a PhD in Stats then please do go and do a proper analysis and look at Sanctuary's Seasonal total viewer movements and you'll be able to see that there is nothing marked about the last two weeks figures.

I'll leave you with two words - mountain, molehill
      -

Comment

It hit such a 'social nerve' that, beyond a few people on a few online sites, it's a non issue. is it on the news? in TV guide? Variety? Entertainment Tonight? the Today show?

If someone wants to believe that a 15 second scene has crashed the ratings and potentially doomed the show...go for it. I am placing my bets on high school football season, extreme weather conditions, major markets suffering large and long term power outages effecting not only viewers but cable hubs as well, sports events and new network shows premiering.

I also know that the show's ratings trend up and down during the season, kinda like a see saw.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So, Sanctuary what are people thinking for next week? Up or down?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            It hit such a 'social nerve' that, beyond a few people on a few online sites, it's a non issue. is it on the news? in TV guide? Variety? Entertainment Tonight? the Today show?

If someone wants to believe that a 15 second scene has crashed the ratings and potentially doomed the show...go for it. I am placing my bets on high school football season, extreme weather conditions, major markets suffering large and long term power outages effecting not only viewers but cable hubs as well, sports events and new network shows premiering.

I also know that the show's ratings trend up and down during the season, kinda like a see saw.
            Yeah they do go up and down, I may even do a comparative graph later

*have stats will play with graphs*
            -

Comment

You do seem have a grasp of fundamental statistics. But you do realize that there are people that do exactly what you are asking... to statistically analysis each season's ratings with different variables? The introduction of social network data as a variable it the biggest growing aspect of data collection. You have to realize that the data is compared to other shows with a similar situation. The variable of homosexual characters in a show is a variable that is studied. So is the variable of a blonde good looking female with large boobs. Statisticians do take the mountains and molehills and give data for a more informed choice. Is it exact? No, because the biggest variable in this whole scenario is that Human behavior is not 100% predictable.
              Non quantifiable data is non quantifiable data.

The one big problem with your reasoning is that the viewer numbers went up from last week. You also have no way to identify the troll quotient of the number of postings in social media.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                Seriously?! You're gonna say a kiss is what is making the decline in ratings?

The decline in ratings is nothing new. I remember when Sanctuary was changed to Monday nights and there was a sharp decline in viewers. Everyone was running around like Chicken Little. But, the show was renewed for another season and here it starts again.

Relax people. And please, let's not jump on the homophobic band wagon and use a kiss as a scapegoat.

So my opinion.
                *Agrees*

Comment

Sanctuary on these show? It is so wee... they have never been at that level of media coverage. Even though they did get half a sentence in Entertainment Weekly a couple of time.

I'm sure you are probably right about all the little things that went together to lower the ratings but we can't say with that the controversy had no effect.
                  no we can't. it might have, it could have, or it might have had zero effect (with the ppl with nielson boxes).

the reason why you thought it would go down (the kiss) is the same reason why i thought it would go up. i thought word of mouth would bring in the lookie-loos. but i also thought it wouldn't stick, b/c the ppl that wanted more g/g action would realize it wasn't there and quit again.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

The more time goes by, the less happy I am to read messages or comment on this thread when the numbers are known... (not only this one actually...). There is such an unpleasant atmosphere this year that I may not come again for a while...
                    sigpic

Comment

Please guys, just stop and deal with it in private...
                      sigpic

Comment

I wish this would stay a prediction only thread

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          So are we really going to relive the 'joy' of hte SGU and SGA folder where ratings increases and decreases were blamed on

Keller talking'
                          keler not talking
                          rodney talking
                          rodney not talking
                          shep getting hte girl
                          shep not getting the girl
                          shep kirking
                          shep not kirking
                          space ships
                          lack of space ships

etc, etc, etc.

The english translation, anyone that wanted to justify their opinion interpreted the ratings as rising or falling because of whatever drum they were banging at any moment in time.

At the end of the day, noting can be proven or disproven so do we REALLY need to go there?

Next thing you know ratings will be blamed on

Kate not being there
                          Tesla not being there
                          Tesla being there
                          too much abby
                          not enough abby
                          too much will
                          not enough will
                          Tried to green you from the fridge but the door wouldn't budge. So saying thanks here and now. I can't agree more.

I don't remember any of those incidents being part of a extended one week controversy that required a social network censorship for damage control. Maybe I just missed it. I know people are embarrassed that there are people that would rant etc......both sides included.. but they hit a social nerve in our present society. Yes it is there. And yes it can affect ratings.

If this situation was not worth acknowledging why was it so overly debated.... over and over and over?
                          I wish this would just be over already. Ratings go up and down for various reasons and have done so in the past too many times to count. A kiss between consenting adults should be seen as a good thing rather one to gasp at in shock when you think about how much violence on TV we have to begin with.

Other shows have gay main characters on them and do fine. Grey's Anatomy is another fav of mine and still is, but long before the writers decided to bring in a gay couple. On a prime time viewing channel. People accepted and moved on and have grown to love the characters beyond what their sexual orientation might be. The writing/storyline is what keeps people coming back. I said this before and I say it again, sexual orientation is such a small part of who we are and for you to focus solely on that aspect as a reason for a ratings drop, no matter how insignificant, shows homophobic leanings.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                          Yeah they do go up and down, I may even do a comparative graph later

*have stats will play with graphs*
                          Please? Perhaps then we can just move on from this.

Comment

OK here are two graphs comparing Viewer numbers by season. The first one is total viewers and the second is total viewer variance from the previous episode of the season.

I've only used the Fall figures for Season 3 because it is a comparison based on airing date. Week 1 = Oct 1 through 7 and so on.

Sanctuary-Viewers-By-Season.jpg

Sanctuary-Variance-By-Season.jpg
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by Steff View Post
                              They did go round to find the answer they wanted. Here is how I see it. The world series caused a sharp decline in live plus same day ratings. So the next week since this Friday had no sports or other Big premiere like that Gold show the result should have been a return to the 1.4 and 0.5. But this did not happen. What was different about this week? There was a big controversy and numbers of fans stated they would be leaving the show. Voilà! Ergo the Kiss caused a drop in ratings.
                              Yes, I am quoting myself. I wonder if anyone took the time to really read my first comment on the whole Ergo the kiss caused the drop. If you had you would have realized the whole reasoning was a parody of the previous poster's journey though the numbers to obtain the result they wanted. Although I do think it could be one possible reason for the drop my point was mainly sarcasm. But after reading all the debate I wonder why does the subject make people feel they have to show they are on the correct side. Then Voilà! The underlying subject matter bugs people. And it bugs people that everyone does not agree.

So what is causing the ratings? Who the hell on a simple thread in a fan forum knows the answer? hehe... I would say if we had 20 people here there would be 20 different opinions. It just seems some are more adamant about being right.

Comment

What drop Steff?? The ratings went up from last week.
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X